Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default The difference between RL friends and a random PUG

Just thought I'd share this, since I found it ironic. As many of you know I have been playing since September of last year, and try to take the sound advice of the community in this forum. My RL good friend who introduced me to the game and has been playing a couple years does not usually look on the forums for advice.

So I noticed on my first character, my level 12 or so Human Wizard had more hp than his Druid of about the same level. This seemed odd to me, so I sent him an email about all the different ways that we can increase our hit points (without raids or crafting, which we don't do). I also told that we get a free LR if he ever wants to use it. I also told him about the great Mino Legens helmet, giving 100% fortification and 20 more hp. He was several tapestries short, so I gave him about 13 or so to reach the magic number of 20, and off he went to Necropolis to get his new helmet. When he came back I saw his HP had not changed, so I asked him if he got it. He said "Nah, I got the "+ WIS" one instead. I was thinking "Oh brother."

A couple nights ago, I am grouping with his 13 Rogue (halfling I think) who had about 140 hp, and another RL friend and I gave him enough tapestries to get the Minos for him. Off he went, and once again his hp did not change. When we asked if he got the Minos, he said that he got one that boosted his Thief skills instead

We've had a running joke for a while now with betting how many times he might die in a given quest. He's a really good player - he just likes living dangerously, with all his characters apparently. He's especially good at the puzzle solving stuff. We still have a lot of fun together, and I wouldn't trade our adventures EVER for grouping with some uber person I don't know.

But it occured to me that if I didn't know him in RL and have such a good time with him things might be different. So I think it demonstrates how much more we put up with from people that we are friends with than just random people. "A friend loves at all times." In fact, he puts up with me constantly trying to give him advice too, to his credit

Have you guys had similar experiences?

No my RL friends are stupid they play wow or swtor and are anxious to play NWO they say ddo takes to much thinking and when they play a MMO they don't want to think they also don't like moving in combat maybe I need new friends

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

I would break off your RL friendship and squelch him in game, until he decides to fall in line with all the other min/max zombies.

MY GOD!!!! What was he thinking making a decision that obvisously wasnt what "everyone else" does.
    Arrow cost money.....the dead cost nothing.

In my group of RL friends playing we had the same thing happen. The friend who seems to make all the choices that many would think are subpar played for a very long time (2 to 3 years) before giving up the game.

The reason he quit is that all the rest of us could easily do challenging content without being killed repeatedly. Since in harder (or the hardest) content he could not contribute much and we just carried him through it he obviously didn't have as much fun.

So unless your friend adapts to the difficulties that you all progress through he will likely grow tired of the game because content challenging for you will be impossible to him and content challenging for him will be a AFK yawn fest to you.

If he responds to advice keep giving it to him and encourage him or you may lose him from your group.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Actually if they got the other helmets for that stuff, it makes me wonder about the rest of their gear, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Actually if they got the other helmets for that stuff, it makes me wonder about the rest of their gear, honestly.
    Too many variables to say that.

I would strongly consider Tradusor on my Monk with heavy fortification slotted on Garments of Equlibrium. Also add in the yellow slot with the gear update on the helms and it could be quite useful for a long time depending.

If you were really his friend you would have given him enough for 40 tapestries so he could have gotten both the helmet he wanted and the one you wanted him to get - It works that way for my wife buying shoes anyway hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Eilierie View Post
    No, there really isn't. Wondering does not mean answer finding. When the druid chooses a tap helm for wisdom, and rogue the tap helm for skills, that indicates the possibility of what they were not wearing at the time, or what they never thought to consolidate.

You should make sure that he reaalizes that two of the same bonus from different sources do not stack.

Afterwards you should explain to him that a dead rogue can't disable traps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is the only party buff
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    talk about your exploits
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    DDO is not PnP. This is by design

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    No, there really isn't. Wondering does not mean answer finding. When the druid chooses a tap helm for wisdom, and rogue the tap helm for skills, that indicates the possibility of what they were not wearing at the time, or what they never thought to consolidate.
    Again, too many variables. First life free to play may not have whatever wisdom item in a different slot or where you would normally put your wisdom slot they have something they prefer in that slot. I know on my first lives, I took what I could get when I could get it. Eventually I probably ended up having the same exact gear set that you would say to get but it took eventually to get there.

*shrug* six of one... half a dozen of another... *shrug*

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

I would strongly consider Tradusor on my Monk with heavy fortification slotted on Garments of Equlibrium. Also add in the yellow slot with the gear update on the helms and it could be quite useful for a long time depending.
    Not a fan of those garments - I find they break too easily then I have no fort. YMMV though.

OP, it's so boring everyone gets the minos. If they had more things with toughness that would be good. I like that we can get a fort augment now but it's so restrictive only going in a blue slot.
    ~Thelanis ~ Khyber ~

Again, too many variables.
    *sigh* Right over your head I see. Yes there are a lot of variables, however, who stated once that a solution/answer had to be found/given? No body here other than the implication you have repeated. However, I will let you continue on your straight and narrow path while I enjoy tea from an empty up and just continue to ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by MeliCat View Post
    Not a fan of those garments - I find they break too easily then I have no fort. YMMV though.
    They also have no AC unlike most all outfits now. In fact they are the only ones I can think of that do not have any AC value.
    Last edited by Missing_Minds; 04-02-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post
    Have you guys had similar experiences?
    When I first started playing the game I had a friend also give me 20 tapestries and tell me to go buy a minos. When I opened the selection screen I saw that there was a had that had +4 to two different stats. TWO DIFFERENT STATS!!!!! I couldn't believe it, it seemed too awesome. I sat and looked at it and thought, he probably doesn't know what he's talking about, I should get this totally awesome hat, this minos thing doesn't have any stats at all. But in the end, it was his "currency" and I thought it would be unfair of me to spend it on something other than what it was intended, so I bought the minos.

Just make sure to make nice sound effects over voice every time your friend gets critically hit

We'll definitely put up with a lot more from our friends than we do from pugs, but the same can be said about anything. When friends drink too much and act like d-bags we laugh at them and drive them home. When other people at the bar do it we make fun of them and roll our eyes.
    ~ Cheara : Raizertron : Pozitron : Higgz Bowtron : Illudium : Staphe Infection : Abraa Capocus ~
    Nooby McNoobsalot
    Ghallanda Rerolled

I like Chette's idea. Whenever he gets hit with a crit and dies scream over voice chat "B00M HEADSHOT".

When I was fresh to the game I remember running OOB elite getting facerolled with my buddy who was on his first or second TR at the time. He made me link all my gear and gave me my taps for my minos, GFL belt, and some halfway decent khops. We were joking around about how much I learned and how badly I sucked back then a few months ago before he quit. Also taught me how to ZERG quests and farm things like SC.

The khops he gave me were +5 Acid of PG (I thought they were user). I still keep them in my bank right under my eChaosblades, MINII, and LITII khops.

So just be patient and remember to scream BOOM HEADSHOT.
    The Bladesworn
    Ranger UP
    •Wyckit¤Salokin¤Cruelest•
    «Ghallanda»

I have a RL friend who plays and is similar ... If he doesn't think. He Is savvy Enough though that when one of us tells him to do something, he does and takes the advice on faith.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

If it does work for him and he does not die every 2 meter, cool.
    I will even make him show me how he does it and why he does not die.
    If he dies a lot and still doesnt want my help, then he has to live with the ridicule.
    Probably would even pay for renaming his char to SirDiealot.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Chette View Post
    When I first started playing the game I had a friend also give me 20 tapestries and tell me to go buy a minos. When I opened the selection screen I saw that there was a had that had +4 to two different stats. TWO DIFFERENT STATS!!!!! I couldn't believe it, it seemed too awesome. I sat and looked at it and thought, he probably doesn't know what he's talking about, I should get this totally awesome hat, this minos thing doesn't have any stats at all. But in the end, it was his "currency" and I thought it would be unfair of me to spend it on something other than what it was intended, so I bought the minos.

Just make sure to make nice sound effects over voice every time your friend gets critically hit

We'll definitely put up with a lot more from our friends than we do from pugs, but the same can be said about anything. When friends drink too much and act like d-bags we laugh at them and drive them home. When other people at the bar do it we make fun of them and roll our eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by CodyGenX View Post
    I like Chette's idea. Whenever he gets hit with a crit and dies scream over voice chat "B00M HEADSHOT".

So just be patient and remember to scream BOOM HEADSHOT.
    OR Simply run him through Relic of a Sovereign Past TWICE for the Nightforge Gorget {He picks up the Ores!}, Bracers and 10 extre Ores to stick on the AH!

Gorget = Hvy Fort + A slot for Deathblock or Fear Immunity
    Bracers = Imp False Life, 3 Charges of Heroism {5 mins per charge} AND a slot! {I like Water Breathing or Feather Fall as these can become a swap out later on - Once he has Tharaks!}.

Dear Lord - Minos is NOT the Mandatory piece of Gear it Once was {was supposed to be}. There's a lot more options now!

Quote Originally Posted by Bargol View Post
    In my group of RL friends playing we had the same thing happen. The friend who seems to make all the choices that many would think are subpar played for a very long time (2 to 3 years) before giving up the game.

The reason he quit is that all the rest of us could easily do challenging content without being killed repeatedly. Since in harder (or the hardest) content he could not contribute much and we just carried him through it he obviously didn't have as much fun.

So unless your friend adapts to the difficulties that you all progress through he will likely grow tired of the game because content challenging for you will be impossible to him and content challenging for him will be a AFK yawn fest to you.

If he responds to advice keep giving it to him and encourage him or you may lose him from your group.
    The people who introduced me to DDO were RL Friends from the local gaming club {PnP}!

There were 5 of them!

Only 2 still play regularly and BOTH of them have taken over a YEAR off!
    I've not missed a day playing this game {apart from when DDO was down} until this week! {Dogsitting for my brother - Massive Lag every time I try to play / Bad Connection!}.

Every single one of those people was {and is} better at DDO than I will ever be! as they all have far more experience with Computer Gaming than I do!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    OR Simply run him through Relic of a Sovereign Past TWICE for the Nightforge Gorget {He picks up the Ores!}, Bracers and 10 extre Ores to stick on the AH!

Gorget = Hvy Fort + A slot for Deathblock or Fear Immunity
    Bracers = Imp False Life, 3 Charges of Heroism {5 mins per charge} AND a slot! {I like Water Breathing or Feather Fall as these can become a swap out later on - Once he has Tharaks!}.

Dear Lord - Minos is NOT the Mandatory piece of Gear it Once was {was supposed to be}. There's a lot more options now!

Sure there are options but the question is which is the better option. Because Minos is the only easy to get item that has Toughness at such a low lvl and not every build has room for Thaarak Bracer because Elemental Bracer of Air are superior on every build that has not umd/blur also there is jidz for monks.
    If we could slot toughness well that would open options but till then Minos.

The people who introduced me to DDO were RL Friends from the local gaming club {PnP}!

There were 5 of them!

Only 2 still play regularly and BOTH of them have taken over a YEAR off!
    I've not missed a day playing this game {apart from when DDO was down} until this week! {Dogsitting for my brother - Massive Lag every time I try to play / Bad Connection!}.

Every single one of those people was {and is} better at DDO than I will ever be! as they all have far more experience with Computer Gaming than I do!
    Last edited by Daemoneyes; 04-06-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    ...........Sure there are options but the question is which is the better option. Because Minos is the only easy to get item that has Toughness at such a low lvl and not every build has room for Thaarak Bracer because Elemental Bracer of Air are superior on every build that has not umd/blur also there is jidz for monks.
    If we could slot toughness well that would open options but till then Minos
    Considering Sentinels loot has not been upgraded!

Basic Jidz aren't even as good as RANDOM Loot any more {yes the Monk benefits are still nice BUT not overpoweringly so}.

Epic Jidz - I have the Scroll/Seal/Shard rdy BUT don't see the point in making them anymore!
    Bracers of the Sun Soul {Villager Commendations Min Lvl 20!} = Aaaargh

Elemental Bracers of Air I've never even heard of! {Challenge gear = Lol!}

Toughness = Tough Clak - RANDOM LOOT - Plenty on AH!

+Toughness is 20HP - I find my biggest issue these days is SLOTTING GFL!
    Nightforge Bracers are IMP False Life - Lvl 12+ = Nightforge and a Tough Cloak, Lvl 16+ = Tharaks and a GFL item if at all poss!}.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Considering Sentinels loot has not been upgraded!

Basic Jidz aren't even as good as RANDOM Loot any more {yes the Monk benefits are still nice BUT not overpoweringly so}.

Epic Jidz - I have the Scroll/Seal/Shard rdy BUT don't see the point in making them anymore!
    Bracers of the Sun Soul {Villager Commendations Min Lvl 20!} = Aaaargh

Elemental Bracers of Air I've never even heard of! {Challenge gear = Lol!}

Toughness = Tough Clak - RANDOM LOOT - Plenty on AH!

+Toughness is 20HP - I find my biggest issue these days is SLOTTING GFL!
    Nightforge Bracers are IMP False Life - Lvl 12+ = Nightforge and a Tough Cloak, Lvl 16+ = Tharaks and a GFL item if at all poss!}.
    Jidz is still often the difference in getting more heal per hit or not,
    and as such its worth it.

Yupp at 20 there are a lot of choices but there where always more in endlevel.

Ele Bracers of Air, even the lvl4 version is totally worth it.
    And it only takes 1 run of each of the 3 challenges from those you need the mats to get them.
    The Bracer is BTA and gives Blur, hard to find anything better at lowlvl.
    Also it gives lightning spellpower/crit and later dogde & airguard, nothing to sneeze at for a BTA item that you can reuse each life with your chars.

Toughness is to high minlvl as random loot, also its hard to find it on anything other then cloaks.
    And its cheap to craft false life or buy it (now even as augment).

So i dont see any use in Toughness cloaks other then to sell them for ridicules profit.

my outfit is often
    Minos (tough & heavy fort.)
    Air Bracer (perma blur & later dogde & air guard)
    Necro Amulet (deathblock & neg lvl absorb) get more then one
    Crafted Guildslot Cloak with Resistance (later dex or cha added)
    Trinket either crafted attack speed & mobility or Cove Bold Trinket (tr have also Spellabsorb to swap in)
    Con Ring
    Str Gloves
    Manyslayer Ring (vorpal & sneak & seeker)
    (greater) False Life Belt
    Striding Boots / Feather Fall Boots
    Googles of +2 Attack / +4 Attack (tharnes if i should ever get lucky ^^)
    Lifeshield of Axeblock Armor/Robe

Depending on what the abilitys and immunitys of the char are i change some but in general the equip is mostly the same on all of my chars.
    Not only lets me reuse a lot it also makes equipping easier as you already know what you need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast