Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Community Member Ganolyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    On A Sailing Ship To Nowhere, Leaving Anyplace...
    Posts
    2,344

    Default Noticed Something Odd About Living Spells

    I picked up a Coruscating Longbow of the Destroyer (Absolute Chaos, Evil Blast) and was going to vendor it when I said to myself, "Hmm, I can bypass 26 UMD and this thing would absolutely shred neutrals", so I said what the hey and jumped into the Subterrane to try it on the living spells there. I got some interesting results.

    All the types of spells took the full damage from the bow, which pin-cushioned them nicely, with the exception of Destruction, Harm and Finger of Death, which all were immune to the Evil Blast effect. I was a bit surprised, since Evil Blast is supposed to hit anything that isn't evil, so I took out my Holy Burst of Pure Good bow and took a few shots with that. As expected the Holy was procing immune and the PG was hitting fine.

    I can't even imagine what mess of classifications would allow for them to be not good and not evil, but immune to one type of alignment damage that was an inclusive one and not immune to another type that is also inclusive in the same intersection.
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

  2. #2
    Community Member Kilbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brandon, MS
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganolyn View Post
    I picked up a Coruscating Longbow of the Destroyer (Absolute Chaos, Evil Blast) and was going to vendor it when I said to myself, "Hmm, I can bypass 26 UMD and this thing would absolutely shred neutrals", so I said what the hey and jumped into the Subterrane to try it on the living spells there. I got some interesting results.

    All the types of spells took the full damage from the bow, which pin-cushioned them nicely, with the exception of Destruction, Harm and Finger of Death, which all were immune to the Evil Blast effect. I was a bit surprised, since Evil Blast is supposed to hit anything that isn't evil, so I took out my Holy Burst of Pure Good bow and took a few shots with that. As expected the Holy was procing immune and the PG was hitting fine.

    I can't even imagine what mess of classifications would allow for them to be not good and not evil, but immune to one type of alignment damage that was an inclusive one and not immune to another type that is also inclusive in the same intersection.
    Please don't vendor that bow. I beg of you to wreak the People's Vengeance upon any and all Mephits you encounter with it. Bloody little bastards are the most hateful things in the game!

  3. #3
    Community Member Munkenmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,691

    Default

    did you bug report it?

  4. #4
    Community Member Ganolyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    On A Sailing Ship To Nowhere, Leaving Anyplace...
    Posts
    2,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    did you bug report it?
    Not yet. Since it was only the negative energy spells that were immune I was waiting to see if someone knew something I didn't. I should really go out and try it on more neutrals.
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

  5. #5
    Community Member Kilbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brandon, MS
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganolyn View Post
    Not yet. Since it was only the negative energy spells that were immune I was waiting to see if someone knew something I didn't. I should really go out and try it on more neutrals.
    Mephits are neutrals...

  6. #6
    Community Member Ganolyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    On A Sailing Ship To Nowhere, Leaving Anyplace...
    Posts
    2,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilbar View Post
    Mephits are neutrals...
    I think you might find something you like over here in our Banishing Department...
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

  7. #7
    Community Member Kilbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brandon, MS
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganolyn View Post
    I think you might find something you like over here in our Banishing Department...
    Doubt it. You banish one mephit, they just summon another as a going away present. Mephits are the only creature in the game that can kill you fifteen minutes after you killed them due to constant death spawns.

  8. #8
    Community Member Ganolyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    On A Sailing Ship To Nowhere, Leaving Anyplace...
    Posts
    2,344

    Default

    I'm beginning to think that this is WAI. I went to the Vale and started killing all the neutrals I could find and they all took the evil damage. I did notice that when they died they either scintillated (I assume with light damage) or had that dark mist that you see when negative energy effects are applied during their death animation (the main damage icon is the same as the Evil Blast icon suggesting that the bow counts as evil for purposes of base DR bypassing).

    If Evil Blast is considered a negative energy effect, then it makes sense that those three living spells would be immune to it. After all, Firestorm, Delayed Blast Fireball and Meteor Swarm are immune to fire and vunerable to cold, Chain Lightning is immune to electrical and Disintegrate is immune to force damage. Cold and acid seem to work great on all of them though, as well as light and any True or Absolute alignment damage. Pure, Greater and Superior Good are effective as well.
    Last edited by Ganolyn; 03-31-2013 at 06:05 PM.
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload