Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Default Talk me out of this.

A friend of my and I were talking about Helf dillies. And I've got this strange idea in my head. One of those stubborn ones that you know is probably really bad, but you want to do anyway...

I was thinking of a Helf Druid with an Artificer dilly.

I have a couple Arties, so I have repeaters galore... and the req'd 13 Int should give me a couple more skill points, and there's the use of Arti Scrolls and wands, and the UMD bonus.

When we had the conversation there was some other thought that I just can't recall that I think hooked me but I can't recall it and I'm certain that this is a really tempting bad idea.

So please tell my that this idea is not intriguing and convince me not to do this.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post
    So please tell my that this idea is not intriguing and convince me not to do this.
    Your idea is not intriguing.

Please explain how you will manage the bolts needed to feed a repeater.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCoaly View Post
    Your idea is not intriguing.

Please explain how you will manage the bolts needed to feed a repeater.
    3 house deneith favor quivers each with 3000 bolts (2000 of which are 75% returning, essentially 27000 bolts total). This will easily last through any quest, and more likely a large chunk of any play session, at the cost of 3 inventory slots and 300lbs of weight (iirc, might be more).

Repeaters are not a very good option on a non mechanic or non artificer though as you miss out on the int to damage effects as well as all the free ranged feats to make casting and repeatering at the same time a valid path.
    Star Firefall
    20 Rogue Assasin
    Currently on life 42 of 42 (Final Life!)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lithic View Post
    3 house deneith favor quivers each with 3000 bolts (2000 of which are 75% returning, essentially 27000 bolts total). This will easily last through any quest, and more likely a large chunk of any play session, at the cost of 3 inventory slots and 300lbs of weight (iirc, might be more).
    This option is not available to a first life toon until they have earned sufficient House D favor - usually by the end of Sorrowdusk.

Honestly, I feel like if you really wanted to do this - splash in two levels of Artificer so you can cast Summon Bolts, and also use Rune Arms. This would free up the Dilly feat for something else, and you'd have the Rune Arms to buff your ranged attacks and the variable benefits of the various Rune Arms. You'd also net some trap-busting skills to boot. You'd be able to summon the metal mutt too, but kinda useless since you cannot have both the wolf and the dog at the same time.

A Repeater Druid isn't a horrible idea - I just think that there would be a better way to go about it unless you really really want the Druid capstone.
    Last edited by Memnir; 03-31-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Honestly, I feel like if you really wanted to do this - splash in two levels of Artificer so you can cast Summon Bolts, and also use Rune Arms. .
    Keep in mind that Rune arms break the druidic oath, thus preventing the casting of druid spells, and preventing shape shifting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    While it's not difficult to figure out, it's a mindless, stupid and eye-bleeding grind. It's not too hard to figure out that is not what this game needs right now. 2-3 million karma ok, there's some pain for your gain. But really, the EPL's are not worth the pain of 6 million XP in off destinies/sphere's.
    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Profit quantity has been prioritized above product quality.

Rune Arms breaking your Druidic Oath certainly puts a damper on splashing 2 levels of Artifcer over taking the Dilettante. One level of Artificer would give you Rapid Reload for free, as well as trap skills vs. the +2 to UMD you get with Dilettante. I'm not sure if Druid spells like Fires of Purity work on ranged weapons, so that could be another possible downside.

On the upside, Zen Archery could take care of your ranged to-hit seeing as your WIS will be maxed and you wouldn't have to spend stat points on DEX.

I've been working on an 18 Cleric/2 Artificer build that uses repeaters for debuffs/stat damage to aid offensive spellcasting and add some minor ranged DPS. Going Druid instead wouldn't be that much different.

The problem is the lack of skill points needed to keep all the relevant trapping skills & UMD maxed (although max WIS will certainly help with Spot checks).

I say give it a try. It could work. Max out your Evocation DC's. Hit Earthquake, drop a Wall of Fire on em, then pick em off with your repeater while they burn.
    Morgulion Romenion Zandrine Zeldaryne The Order of Cygnus Sarlona
    Quote Originally Posted by BitkaCK2
    There are no bugs in this game, only unintended features.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ka0t1c1sm View Post
    Rune Arms breaking your Druidic Oath certainly puts a damper on splashing 2 levels of Artifcer over taking the Dilettante.
    Do RAs count as shields or weapons? If it's considered a shield, then it's a problem; but if they're seen as weapons, then it's okay because Druidic Oath doesn't apply to metal weapons.

EDIT: just tested - you're right, RAs cancel out Druidic Oath. Bummer.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 03-31-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Do RAs count as shields or weapons?.
    Rune Arms are considered Rune Arms. They are considered a special third category, and specifically break the Druidic Oath, just as they cause a monk to become uncentered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    While it's not difficult to figure out, it's a mindless, stupid and eye-bleeding grind. It's not too hard to figure out that is not what this game needs right now. 2-3 million karma ok, there's some pain for your gain. But really, the EPL's are not worth the pain of 6 million XP in off destinies/sphere's.
    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Profit quantity has been prioritized above product quality.

Ah, gotcha... never knew RAs broke oath.
    Scratch my idea then. lol

Community Member

Without the ability to add your Int to damage on your crossbow, you DPS will be horrible. Also, I really don't think that +2 umd, and being a level 4 artificer for scroll/wand use is really worth 1 feat and 6 AP. That is a LOT to give up for a very minimal gain.

Did that do it?!? Did I win!?!

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shadereaper33 View Post
    Without the ability to add your Int to damage on your crossbow, you DPS will be horrible. Also, I really don't think that +2 umd, and being a level 4 artificer for scroll/wand use is really worth 1 feat and 6 AP. That is a LOT to give up for a very minimal gain.
    Yup, you're right.