Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Courtesy

Killzone tactics rule. When done correctly with the most efficiency possible, the entire party is involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

When I'm on a melee I just try to find unagroed mob, or, if there're no avaible, I just stand arround.
    Sooner or later, everything is dead, or 1 random mob attacks me, and is quickly slain.

I'm currently leveling warpriest, when I see someone kiting, I just put a blade barrier, and toss a cleave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Founder

I agree with the OP from the other perspective. As a caster player I run with either a monk who always runs far ahead and kills most things before I can get there or an intimitank who ignores my AOEs and pulls the mobs to her wherever she happens to be standing.

If the party used party tactics the mobs would be killed faster, but instead everyone is "doing their own thing".

I could just pike and only worry about it if there are too many mobs for these tactics or the eventual miniboss or boss who isn't killed as quickly so I can actually do something. Either way the job gets done. But if you are grouping with people its nice to feel that you're part of a group and not just a nth wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by susiedupfer View Post
    I have a cure for that...let them get all that aggro all by their lonesome, then let them take care of it. When you hear the *ding*, everyone else goes in, kills the mobs. Then you drop that soulstone 11 seconds from a shrine.
    I was in party once where I wanted to do that. Wizard sprinted away and fireballed mobs trailing him at door. Then again. And again. I waited for that 'ding', but it just didn't happened - all the time I waited behind was just wasted. It IS effective method of playing, if done right.

Quote Originally Posted by DynaTheCat View Post
    But.... that's what wizards / sorcs do... they blast everything apart. We can't help it if lesser classes can't do that.

I think this is a class problem not a party problem.

Quit blaming classes for other people's STU-PITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Rogues Guild - Sarlona
    How did that get in here? Hay give that back O that’s yours? Sorry
    Gordgray Gord of gray Hawk Rogues do it from behind

Quote Originally Posted by gordgray View Post
    Quit blaming classes for other people's STU-PITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Irony

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

If you want to solo a quest, you should not be in a party.
    None of us want to watch you show off.

and Kiting should be a purposeful tactic that you choose to do to accomplish a goal.

Sometimes solo tactics have a place in a group. But adjust to what the group needs at the time.

and for those who find themselves in a group with a kiter.... I suggest everybody /cheer.
    I gave up a life of farming to become an Adventurer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    If you want to solo a quest, you should not be in a party.
    None of us want to watch you show off.

and Kiting should be a purposeful tactic that you choose to do to accomplish a goal.

Sometimes solo tactics have a place in a group. But adjust to what the group needs at the time.

and for those who find themselves in a group with a kiter.... I suggest everybody /cheer.
    When I end up in a group with a kiter, I just let them kite. Either they'll kill what they've aggro'd or they'll die. Either option is fine. I'm only interested in attacking enemies that aren't running away from me. I'm not good enough at WASD to be able to kill enemies that are being kited without wanting to kick puppies.
    Last edited by HungarianRhapsody; 03-31-2013 at 12:34 PM.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Honestly my advice is to avoid zerg/farm lfms. These lfms are all about speed. This means that in a good majority of quests the fastest way to complete it and get the xp is to train the mobs to a check point then nuke them down or to run at full speed dropping blade barriers occasionally to kill them. It's not about soloing or not it's about finishing the quest the absolute fastest way possible to maximize xp/min. If you avoid zerg/farm quest and put up your own lfm most of these problems will be solved for you.

Double edge sword. Casters pull..which we just do on auotpilot now or else your going to be saying what are we waiting for..he/she is torcing? this is taking forever...so caster does not pull and lets party go to it to. Pulling is a way to save sp and hit all at one time. Then that caster is no longer welcome in parties if it goes bad. That caster sucks the whole party died cause he did not do his job, because killing in mass is his specialty not running out of sp cause he was fingering certain things.

We do not just pull to po people..we do it cause its automatic. It the most effective way of killng. I do not see anyone complaining bards are doing too good a job with crowd control so melee can have at it lol.. sorry just my thoughts.
    Last edited by silence383; 03-31-2013 at 02:33 AM.

And maybe I am misunderstanding the point of aggro. Melee's gain it..bards dance em..casters kill em..that's teamwork in my book..or maybe times have changed. If you want to melee everything in a quest please state you do not want teamwork you want kills.

I've learned to adapt my tactics when playing my level 15 sorc in a group. I let the group get aggro while I hang back, then start spamming mass damage spells until everything is dead. I avoid shooting, and pulling, mobs to myself before melees can get started. I rarely draw aggro before mobs are dead, and seldom have to kite around to stay alive.

Maybe it's just my style, but it works out well for me, and for the group from my experience.
    Once upon a time, I was part of a team, and we saved some children. What have you done with your life?

Community Member

Default Agree and disagree...

Whilst my Barb would heartily agree with OP, my Xbow Rog would like to point out that it's not always kiting - when you've just had an unexpected Shiradi 'KABOOM' go off and now have more monsters aggro'ed than hit points, what looks like kiting to everyone else is simply running away!

Quote Originally Posted by MaximusParthas View Post
    It's ok to be proud of yourself and confident in your abilities but...
    It is even better when you are smart and don't kite enemies around like a player who just discovered the fun of playing ranged... and you get complimented for it. I've had people tell me, when I'm playing my Artificer, that I was among the very few ranged players they were able to tolerate playing with and weren't instantly desiring to boot them.

That said there are times where having a ranged player kite an enemy around can be beneficial. I just finished an Epic Elite where our CC was literally a ranged player kiting enemies around the room.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 03-31-2013 at 07:47 AM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    The Band of Gypsys

Arcanes have cc spells. I'm pretty happy when sorcs pull stuff to webs with aoe damage spells in the middle. Makes my day on my melees and divines. I was wondering, though: I haven't been noticing web used much lately after lvl 10 or so. Is it not wai or something or am I just running with arcanes who don't believe in web?
    --Pealea, Peawee, worldpeas, givepeas achance, and whoopea on Khyber

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by susiedupfer View Post
    I have a cure for that...let them get all that aggro all by their lonesome, then let them take care of it. When you hear the *ding*, everyone else goes in, kills the mobs. Then you drop that soulstone 11 seconds from a shrine.

I have explained until I am blue in the face that that is not an efficient method of completing quests. Hopefully, with a little tough love, they will learn.
    Am I the only one that read this and thought, Wut?

What kind of caster dies to almost any amount of trash being pulled?

Quote Originally Posted by Arnhelm View Post
    I've learned to adapt my tactics when playing my level 15 sorc in a group. I let the group get aggro while I hang back, then start spamming mass damage spells until everything is dead. I avoid shooting, and pulling, mobs to myself before melees can get started. I rarely draw aggro before mobs are dead, and seldom have to kite around to stay alive.

Maybe it's just my style, but it works out well for me, and for the group from my experience.
    +1^

Yep, I let the agro get drawn by the Barb, then click manyshot and start dropping hit points.

Toss an occasional Creeping cold or flame strike and click many shot again.

Works well, do a little crowd control, protect the healer as his healing will often draw agro, and mission accomplished.
    An old man playing the electronic version of the game he has loved for thirty years.
    Officer, Hands of Chaos
    Proudly receiving negative feed back for having ethics and standing on Principle.
    Rangers Lead the Way

Pulling, kiting, gathering for aoes, aggro management, even running away are all valid tactics.

The trick is using them correctly and at the right time. Having played a couple light, fast melee types who don't focus on intim because they are not tanks, I can relate to how annoying it can be for the artis to aggro everything from way behind me so the mobs all run past me to get to them, and then the artis end up running around in a circle like a roomba trying to eliminate the aggro'ed mobs before their batteries run out. Meanwhile, all the melees are chasing around behind the mobs with varying degrees of sucess in actually catching one and getting it's attention. It's less common that the sorcs and wizzes do this, but it does happen. Once past a certain level, the sorcs and wizzes can pretty much handle it anyway.

But yeah,at low levels when artis and castersrepeatedly pull that ****, I just let 'em have the aggro and continue forward into the dungeon if possible. If not, I'll just stand and watch. I'm not running around like a Benny Hill skit at every encounter. Maybe if they die a few times, they'll start to figure out aggro management.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbynature View Post
    Arcanes have cc spells. I'm pretty happy when sorcs pull stuff to webs with aoe damage spells in the middle. Makes my day on my melees and divines. I was wondering, though: I haven't been noticing web used much lately after lvl 10 or so. Is it not wai or something or am I just running with arcanes who don't believe in web?
    I use web with my wizzy, but when pugging I also notice it does not get used much, most seem to use blasting spells of some sort.
    An old man playing the electronic version of the game he has loved for thirty years.
    Officer, Hands of Chaos
    Proudly receiving negative feed back for having ethics and standing on Principle.
    Rangers Lead the Way

Quote Originally Posted by DynaTheCat View Post
    But.... that's what wizards / sorcs do... they blast everything apart. We can't help it if lesser classes can't do that.

I think this is a class problem not a party problem.

So you think the solution is to nerf wizards/sorcs?

Seriously though, when I play my wizard in a group, I play very differently from when I solo... It's not hard, and it's a nice change of pace...

In a group, you don't have to be absolutely the most efficient with your SP... You're likely to have plenty of SP left over. So there's no need to kite 4 rooms of mobs before laying down your AOE... Just fight each room one-by-one with the melee, throw a mass hold now and then; you'll still move pretty fast...

Just note - Gathering up mobs is one thing, kiting is another... ANYONE kiting for extended periods in a group can be annoying. (archer, divine with blade barrier, caster with nukes). Kiting is the main solo tactic that you should probably shelve when in a PUG.
    Last edited by Thrudh; 03-31-2013 at 10:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSandyman View Post
    Some people brag about how fast they finished the game. I cant think of a stupider thing to brag about. Or in this game, going from level 1 to level 30 in two days, or however long it takes. I can't even begin to imagine what drives a person to think that is fun. You are ignoring all of the content and options and going for sheer speed. It is like going to a museum and bragging about how fast you made it through. Or bragging about how fast you finished a good steak.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast