Default DDOs Most Popular Multiclasses of ALL TIME

So you want to Multiclass but don't know where to start, in other words what classes might go well together?
    Well here I present to you the most popular MULTI-CLASSES so far in the history of DDO!

TOP 13 In Order w/ total characters created across all servers along with POSSIBLE build names (meaning they might just as well be something unique).

1. (27,106) Ranger / Rogue
    2. (22,472) Fighter / Rogue
    3. (18,810) Rogue / Wizard - The "Shadow Mage"
    4. (15,099) Barbarian / Fighter
    5. (13,914) Cleric / Fighter - The "Battle Cleric"
    6. (11,663) Fighter / Ranger
    7. (10,074) Fighter / Paladin
    8. (8,853) Fighter / Ranger / Rogue - The "Monster"
    9. (7,620) Rogue / Monk - The "Mogue" or "Acrobat"
    10. (5,950) Paladin / Rogue
    11. (5,227) Cleric / Monk - The "Clonk"
    12. (5,223) Bard / Rogue
    13. (5,178) Barbarian / Rogue

<<Compare to most popular class created in DDO: Fighter w/ 161913 characters created>>

14-20 (In most probable order each /w up to 5000 made)

14. Ranger / Rogue / Monk - The "Exploiter"
    15. Cleric / Rogue
    16. Fighter / Monk
    17. Fighter / Ranger / Monk
    18. Bard / Fighter
    19. Bard / Fighter / Rogue
    20. Fighter / Wizard

Other Notables:

Monk / Favored Soul
    Rogue / Artificer
    Paladin / Monk
    Cleric / Paladin

Disclaimer: (Unofficial list, data collected from DDOracle on MARCH 30, 2013. All data complete from 1-13, some data missing from 14 onward, collected from all servers).
    Last edited by BTIGER; 04-01-2013 at 07:40 PM.

If anyone would like to give possible build names for any of the above listed multi-classes I will fill it in. Also, I think it might be interesting to discuss the best builds for any of the particular multi-classes above or at least what probably levels they are at for people interested in making them.
    Last edited by BTIGER; 03-30-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Default suggestions

You might want to put some disclaimers in your OP. For starters, multi-classing is generally not suggested for first time players.

DDO has long been a work in progress. Just browse the forums and you will see a number of posters referring to builds from when level cap was 10, when you could have evasion in heavy armor, etc. With recent changes to the way the game currently plays and more on the way, certain builds lose viability over time. Throw in FoTM builds, twink gear, reincarnation, the possibility of creating lvl 15 toons from scratch (not sure if this is still on the table or not) and epic destinies and the idea of multi-classing gets more and more convoluted. Most MC builds have a theme such as DPS/survivability, traps/DPS, heals/survivability etc. Also, note a number of uber builds suffer from MAD and/or the need for PLs. Finally, there are a number of different ways to split and advance the same MC toons and some rely heavily upon a specific race.

I honestly think a newcomer to DDO may look at this list and end up frustrated at mid to late levels as they try to build a clonk for example. You may want to add ratings for ease of play, sustainability (will it get nerfed), and gear/build point requirements. Another thing you may want to add is why the classes have synergy and what the excel/do poorly at.

Finally, something I would love to see in any thread about multiclassing is where min/maxing hits diminishing returns. The forums are rife with builds and info, but there a very few threads mentioning high water marks and trade-offs in variation.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtchizobr View Post
    you are not "the" sp.
    I AM the SP, the OP, and the OG.

Also, rogue/monk would probably be dubbed "The Acrobat" or "Mogue". Ranger/rogue/monk is usually dubbed "Exploiter" (at 18/1/1 split, variants include different splits and splash variants). Fighter/ranger/rogue is usually "Monster" or variant. There's more, just can't think of them ATM.
    you are not "the" sp.

Quote Originally Posted by shenthing View Post
    You might want to put some disclaimers in your OP. For starters, multi-classing is generally not suggested for first time players... You may want to add ratings for ease of play, sustainability (will it get nerfed), and gear/build point requirements. Another thing you may want to add is why the classes have synergy and what the excel/do poorly at...Finally, something I would love to see in any thread about multiclassing is where min/maxing hits diminishing returns. The forums are rife with builds and info, but there a very few threads mentioning high water marks and trade-offs in variation.
    I just wanted to add some data I collected. I leave that up to anyone who might like to analyze.

Very well done on data collection.

I think it is crucial to stress the difference between types of splashes. I would guess (1) refers to 18/2 rng/rog, (2) refers to 18/2 ftr/rog, etc., but I have no doubt that someone has rolled a 10 ftr / 10 rog, which is a very different build. Obviously you just went alphabetically, but for the uninformed (those who don't know where to start) this is not helpful: we know a Fighter / Rogue splashes Rogue while a Fighter / Paladin splashes Fighter and know why, but they would not.

For this and other reasons, I think ascribing build names (except in the obvious cases of Exploiter, Monster, etc.) is ill-fated. Consider the wizrogue: my various 18/2 wiz/rogs had nothing to do with shadows. I'm sure someone's did, but with respect I expect mine was more indicative of the majority: wizard + trapping.

Rogue/monk may be the best example. 13/7 in either direction has some popularity, 19/1 rog/mnk as well, and even I myself once made an 18/2 mnk/rog, which I would not do again but nevertheless existed. The two deep splashes are relatively similar, but the two light splashes are extremely dissimilar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    I think it is crucial to stress the difference between types of splashes...

For this and other reasons, I think ascribing build names (except in the obvious cases of Exploiter, Monster, etc.) is ill-fated..
    Very good point and I agree. I can add a note that says these are "possible" builds of said multiclasses.
    I actually have data on Level 25 multiclasses (of which I am thinking of showing in another thread) which shows exactly that.

While showing which class combinations are most popular, further dividing this list on which splits are popular might be more useful - but of course also a lot more time consuming to compile.

Take fighter/rogue (to pick up Kinerd's example): One possible way would be a 10/10 split, for a mix of feats and skills. Other possibilities would include 18 fighter with 2 rogue levels for evasion without needing to have access to the monk class, or 18 rogue with 2 levels of fighter for 2 additional feats on a class which doesn't get any bonus feats.

But regardless of whether you want to delve further into the subject this may be a starting point for players to think about what classes might have synergies with other classes.

2015 DDO Players Council Starla70's Avatar

I personally do the ranger/rogue and artificer/rogue most. I find they work very well together ans neither class is really weakened much.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizeh View Post
    While showing which class combinations are most popular, further dividing this list on which splits are popular might be more useful - but of course also a lot more time consuming to compile...

But regardless of whether you want to delve further into the subject this may be a starting point for players to think about what classes might have synergies with other classes.
    Unfortunately the data is not available on the most popular splits unless I do a thread on Level 25s.
    Your last point is what I thought this thread could be about.
    Also, just musing but interesting that of all the so-called popularity due to forum views the numerous triple-class builds get around here only 3 even turned up actually popular at all. I guess for most people trying do do a triple class build is just too much prep and actual work, or maybe just a little bit too radical.

Default Kinda what I was saying before

Sorry, I forgot to congratulate you on the data collection and undertaking of this.

With that said, I just think it's a good idea to let players know what they are getting into with multiclassing. Seeing as how this might be a good place for those players to start, some of the basics might be helpful (maybe a short note or two on build mechanics like AA/trapper or x build is feat heavy or listing PrEs).

I also think it might be important to note some other things about the splits besides level investments. A good example may be the ever-changing landscape of archers. It might also be a good idea to do a monthly or quarterly update and compare current server pops with this list (like a side by side).

Agree with Kinerd on the explanation somewhat, but this may too be a daunting task since, to steal the example, a 13 rogue/7 ranger split is still viable. This might also skew the numbers somewhat as a combo with numerous viable splits would likely be played more than one with just a couple.

I guess the most important things to note on this list would be why they work (like concentrating on 2 stats or lots of feats) and what they are good at. Still, thanks for the data... it's nice to have when working on new build ideas.

BTW, if you do add the epic list, use another post, link it, and keep it at least as updated as this.
    you are not "the" sp.

Community Member

I had a pally/warrior in a group once call himself the "Tank from Hell" haha