Default Handy Equip's. Must have DR

Since I am a casual player I usually don't have the time to research every aspect of the game. I already have trouble with building a character due to all enhancements. Let stand all the gear you could collect. As such I often find myself in a quest right before a boss, unable to properly damage them. Or just in front of a part in the quest, unable to properly advance.
    Now there are some things that I do know but I would like your opinion, overal and level wise. What are must have items, regarding DR and certain other equips. I am specifically looking for nice ranged weapons (repeaters and bows) And 2 handers. OF course they can be non named items.
    Living in the Twilight, Under the Moon

All Skeletons have DR/Bludgeoning
    All Zombies have DR/Slashing
    All Wraiths, Shadows and Spectres require Ghost Touch.

Lvl 4+
    Delera's - Good Dmg - Any of Flametouched Iron, Righteousness, Holy, Pure Good

Lvl 7+
    Have an Adamantine weapon {or Arrows/Bolts} Handy at all times {Mainly for Golems}.

Lvl 9+
    Threnal - Cold Iron + Good {anywhere with Flesh Renders}.

Shadow Crypt - Vampire Boss requires Metalline or Adamantine & Silver + Some form of Good Dmg.

Lvl 15+
    Vale of Twilight = Many Devils - You're gonna want Silver or Good {Silver & Good for Certain Bosses}.

Lvl 16+
    Rakshasas require Piercing to break DR
    Mind Flayers can have DR/Byeshk
    Last edited by FranOhmsford; 03-30-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    All Zombies have DR/Slashing
    All Wraiths, Shadows and Spectres require Ghost Touch.

Lvl 4+
    Delera's - Good Dmg - Any of Flametouched Iron, Righteousness, Holy, Pure Good

Lvl 7+
    Have an Adamantine weapon {or Arrows/Bolts} Handy at all times {Mainly for Golems}.

Lvl 9+
    Threnal - Cold Iron + Good {anywhere with Flesh Renders}.

Shadow Crypt - Vampire Boss requires Metalline or Adamantine & Silver + Some form of Good Dmg.

Lvl 15+
    Vale of Twilight = Many Devils - You're gonna want Silver or Good {Silver & Good for Certain Bosses}.

Lvl 16+
    Rakshasas require Piercing to break DR
    Mind Flayers can have DR/Byeshk

+1

Useful information for all
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

I serial TR - probably close to 30 lives done now for various characters - and Fran's list is overdoing it IMO. This may not answer OP's question, but Fran's list might imply you need way more than you do.

I have a no-ML BTA icy bursted lacerating greataxe (ideally would be a falchion) for levels 1-3. It takes about 15 mins to get to level 3 so certainly not necessary, though.

I have Carnifex for levels 4-7/9. I buy a Holy whatever off the AH when/if I do Delera's.

I have sets of vorpal, banishing, smiting, disruption at either 8 or 10. Bow/repeater I have paralyzing also.

If I'm do many melee lives on a character, fair chance I make a Lit II. That gets me to 20.

You'll notice that nowhere in the above list is there much concern for DR breaking. Maybe if you're up against something very specific you can try to break its DR, but pre-20 it's almost certainly unnecessary.

Post 20 you can acquire something like Celestia or AGA for breaking.
    Last edited by cdr; 03-30-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    I serial TR - probably close to 30 lives done now for various characters - and Fran's list is overdoing it IMO. This may not answer OP's question, but Fran's list might imply you need way more than you do.

I have a no-ML BTA icy bursted lacerating greataxe (ideally would be a falchion) for levels 1-3. It takes about 15 mins to get to level 3 so certainly not necessary, though.

I have Carnifex for levels 4-7/9. I buy a Holy whatever off the AH when/if I do Delera's.

I have sets of vorpal, banishing, smiting, disruption at either 8 or 10. Bow/repeater I have paralyzing also.

If I'm do many melee lives on a character, fair chance I make a Lit II. That gets me to 20.

You'll notice that nowhere in the above list is there much concern for DR breaking. Maybe if you're up against something very specific you can try to break its DR, but pre-20 it's almost certainly unnecessary.

Post 20 you can acquire something like Celestia or AGA for breaking.
    Actually, the OP isn't overdoing it at all. Not all melees or classes can wield a blade or axe, use spells or use weapons in the conventional sense and need to pay closer attention to DR bypassing than others. Being what I play often, Monks are special here.

Handwraps aren't weapons per se (which is why we can't make GS handwraps). As such, unarmed DR bypassing can be changed with handwraps or enhancements and can be problematic sometimes.

To add to the OP's and later post's great summation in regards to unarmed fighting:

All Monks fighting unarmed will bypass Magic DR at Level 4, Lawful DR at Level 10, and Adamantine at Level 16. Monks who take the Shintao Monk PrE will additionally bypass Byeshk with Shintao Monk I (Level 6), Cold Iron with Shintao Monk II (Level 12) and Silver with Shintao Monk III (Level 18)--effectively becoming a living metalline weapon, unarmed. Monks who go "Dark" don't get these bypasses and will need to get speciality metallic handwraps (Studded, Lined or Threaded with metals) to help here, just as with some melee weapons, when fighting unarmed. Before level 16, all Monks should have a metalline/Adamantine kama or quarterstaff handy when the golems show up.

Note that unarmed Monks give out Bludgeoning damage, making it hard to take out things like zombies as one post noted. You can't get innate Slashing unarmed damage without the epic feat Vorpal Strikes, so the better bet in unarmed fighting Bludgeoning resistant foes is to ignore their DR with banishers and disrupters or special damaging effects like light-based ones such as Coruscating and Brilliance.

The Dark Monks that go Ninja Spy PrE can use shortswords that are more than common enough for good DR needs, and, I think can have better versatility in cutting things down than Light Monks in Heroic levels.

Monks can get a Piercing effect in unarmed attacks with the Brawler's Gloves from the Crystal Cove event.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Quote Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
    Actually, the OP isn't overdoing it at all. Not all melees or classes can wield a blade or axe, use spells or use weapons in the conventional sense and need to pay closer attention to DR bypassing than others. Being what I play often, Monks are special here.

Handwraps aren't weapons per se (which is why we can't make GS handwraps). As such, unarmed DR bypassing can be changed with handwraps or enhancements and can be problematic sometimes.

To add to the OP's and later post's great summation in regards to unarmed fighting:

All Monks fighting unarmed will bypass Magic DR at Level 4, Lawful DR at Level 10, and Adamantine at Level 16. Monks who take the Shintao Monk PrE will additionally bypass Byeshk with Shintao Monk I (Level 6), Cold Iron with Shintao Monk II (Level 12) and Silver with Shintao Monk III (Level 18)--effectively becoming a living metalline weapon, unarmed. Monks who go "Dark" don't get these bypasses and will need to get speciality metallic handwraps (Studded, Lined or Threaded with metals) to help here, just as with some melee weapons, when fighting unarmed. Before level 16, all Monks should have a metalline/Adamantine kama or quarterstaff handy when the golems show up.

Note that unarmed Monks give out Bludgeoning damage, making it hard to take out things like zombies as one post noted. You can't get innate Slashing unarmed damage without the epic feat Vorpal Strikes, so the better bet in unarmed fighting Bludgeoning resistant foes is to ignore their DR with banishers and disrupters or special damaging effects like light-based ones such as Coruscating and Brilliance.

The Dark Monks that go Ninja Spy PrE can use shortswords that are more than common enough for good DR needs, and, I think can have better versatility in cutting things down than Light Monks in Heroic levels.

Monks can get a Piercing effect in unarmed attacks with the Brawler's Gloves from the Crystal Cove event.
    Short Swords are Piercing weapons - No good for Zombies!
    Same for Brawling Gloves and Scorching Wraps and their Piercing dmg/DR Breaking - No help vs Zombies!

As for Monk's Innate DR Breaking...
    Notice how we get Byeshk at Lvl 6 {Not needed till 16 at the earliest}.
    We get Cold Iron at 12 {Not really needed past 11 - Threnal}.
    We get Silver at 18 - {Devils start appearing at 6 - Chronoscope / Vampires at 6 - Bloody Crypt}
    We have to wait till 16 you say for Adamantine {A Must have in VoN - Lvl 9-11}.

And then there's also all the Monk Splashes - Clonks etc. who aren't gonna get any of these!

Its not as complicated as all that. Find the best Metalline of Pure Good you can in whatever melee weapon(s) your character uses. If you can get find that with an additional prefix like holy, shocking, icy, etc. that's even better. For bow/xbow find paralzying types.

The problem I usually have is obtaining special DR breakers. I rarely find them in chest, and creating them is impossible.
    I found that for slashing weapon people usually turn to Holy (burst) of (greater) bloodletting, the last part being new for me, as standart non DR weapons.
    What do you guys do for armour? Or trinkets. I for instance love the phiarlan pendant. Or a handcrafted Detect secret door item.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePrincipal View Post
    Its not as complicated as all that. Find the best Metalline of Pure Good you can in whatever melee weapon(s) your character uses. If you can get find that with an additional prefix like holy, shocking, icy, etc. that's even better. For bow/xbow find paralzying types.
    Metalline of Pure Good can be rare though.

Metalline unlike Adamantine/Silver/Cold Iron/Byeshk is NOT a Metal Property but a Prefix!

So we CAN'T Craft Holy Metalline weapons - Find a weapon of your choice with a Metal Property and Craft onto it!

Anarchic Adamantine of Construct Bane for Maruts
    Holy Silver of Undead Bane for Vampires
    Holy Silver of Lawful Outsider Bane for Devils
    Holy Cold Iron of Chaotic Outsider Bane for Demons {Renders*, Mariliths, Hezrou}.
    Holy Byeshk of Aberration Bane for Certain High Level Mind Flayers

Yes Metalline will replace the Metal Property requirement BUT it will force you into Pure Good as your Suffix and leave you with NO Prefix!

*DDO has fun with Renders/Reavers/Flensers {Some have Byeshk DR rather than Cold Iron - Others have no DR at all!}.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeronic View Post
    The problem I usually have is obtaining special DR breakers. I rarely find them in chest, and creating them is impossible.
    I found that for slashing weapon people usually turn to Holy (burst) of (greater) bloodletting, the last part being new for me, as standart non DR weapons.
    What do you guys do for armour? Or trinkets. I for instance love the phiarlan pendant. Or a handcrafted Detect secret door item.
    Didn't know Bloodletting broke Slashing DR?
    Also this would surely be useless vs the main Mob in game with DR/Slash - Zombies - anyway?

As for Trinkets...

I like:

DPS - Greater Bold Trinket {Min Lvl 4} Crystal Cove

HP - Greater Stalwart Trinket {Min Lvl 4} " "
    Dusk Heart {Menechtarun - Available on AH}.
    Sustaining Symbiote {Sane Asylum}

SP - Pearl of Power X is always nice {Probably under-powered these days though}
    Cunning Trinket {Min Lvl 4} Crystal Cove

Special - Mummified Bat from Sorrowdusk for Feather Fall is an easy swap-in {def underpowered now though}.
    Madness Summon Trinket from Sane Asylum {Can't remember the proper name of this}.
    Certain Necropolis Turn Ins can be useful.

Completely Over-Rated - The Blood Stone!

As for Trinkets...

I like:

DPS - Greater Bold Trinket {Min Lvl 4} Crystal Cove

HP - Greater Stalwart Trinket {Min Lvl 4} " "
    Dusk Heart {Menechtarun - Available on AH}.
    Sustaining Symbiote {Sane Asylum}

SP - Pearl of Power X is always nice {Probably under-powered these days though}
    Cunning Trinket {Min Lvl 4} Crystal Cove

Special - Mummified Bat from Sorrowdusk for Feather Fall is an easy swap-in {def underpowered now though}.
    Madness Summon Trinket from Sane Asylum {Can't remember the proper name of this}.
    Certain Necropolis Turn Ins can be useful.

Completely Over-Rated - The Blood Stone!

you left out the most important one

Voice of the master.

Implicitly, sure, since it only appears on slashing weapons.

One caveat: the Ghostly Skeletons of Delera's only have DR x/Good, no /Bludgeoning. Because they are almost universally mixed in with proper skeletons anyway, this is not important, but all facts deserve expression.
    We get Cold Iron at 12 {Not really needed past 11 - Threnal}.
    Many demons' DR can (or must) be defeated with Cold Iron.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeronic
    What is this? For you, sir or madam, consider Cannith Crafting. In a relatively short time, you will be able to craft +4 Holy of Specific Monster Bane onto a base material weapon, which is very strong. In quite a longer time, you will be able to craft +5 Holy Burst of Specific Monster Greater Bane onto the same, which is very very strong.

My bad, I kinda mixed that comment up with the new suffix comment. Stuff like smiting, or bloodletting, can unfortunatly not be crafted. Right now I walk around on my pally with vampiric cleaver as my main with some DR's weapons mentioned here, made by a friend on mine. I wish Bloodletting and stuff would be craftable.
    On the other hand, most quests aren't hard anyways so would be OP anyways.

Default My best suggestion

Is to routinely search the auction house for metal types (i.e. select Weapons section and search "silver"), disjunct the cheapest appropriate weapon you can find, and then purchase the cheapest holy/righteous shard (or have a friend make one for you) and apply it.

Slap an enhancement bonus and a suffix on it, and you've got a Holy [metal type] or [your choice] for pretty cheap.

Metalline/pure good is certainly nice to find if you don't have appropriate dr-breakers, but the run into some pricing issues for some, and lots of people are neutral and cannot fulfill the UMD.

The Voice of the Master suggestion was a very good one too.

Please note that my above advice is not nearly as viable for monks, since metal-type handwraps (particularly with ML0 when disjuncted...be aware that epic ML20 wraps of metal types will be priced much cheaper) are pretty pricey.
    Character Compendium

I know Voice is kinda essential, since a 5% bonus is pretty cheap.
    Perhaps the reason I cannot find one is because I only search for falchions. Never found a decent (DR) falchion on there. Found a Silver one, 50K, which is pretty expensive imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauf View Post
    you left out the most important one

Voice of the master.
    Quote Originally Posted by SealedInSong View Post
    The Voice of the Master suggestion was a very good one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeronic View Post
    I know Voice is kinda essential, since a 5% bonus is pretty cheap.
    I completely forgot about Voice - That's pretty usual tbh - I'm always forgetting to plug it in before hitting complete OR killing the boss!

So if I had remembered it I'd have probably stuck it in the Completely Over-rated section.

Over-rated and seriously not even needed at all until 3rd life anymore.

I'm not a fan of Deleras so run it once per character - With the changes to the other items on the end-reward list there's now even less of a chance of my characters grabbing Voice.

Lastly: It's a Swap-In anyway - There's no need to wear it all the time {and you'd be missing some good stuff if you were to do so

P.S. I am a VIP so do now get yet another completely unnecessary bonus to XP - I was NOT counting this.

Having a weapon to break a special DR is not necessary.
    Beside the fact that there are lot of specific DR and you can't have a weapon for each DR.

So i would advise to have
    - a main weapon to do lot of damage
    - a weapon to take care of ooze/rust monster (because you don't want to break your main weapon
    - a holy silver bludgeoning weapon. Easily crafted

If you know that you will quest a lot against a specific type of DR, you can try to get a specific weapon but it is usually not worth it.
    Bow are usually good to bypass DR because they take enchantment from the bow AND the arrows

=> the last one will break DR of skeleton, vampire and devils. That means full damage vs most undead
    For other DR, i usually don't care. Fight is a little longer because you do reduced damage but you still do damage

Only problem can happens with regenerating/healing monster with DR or some boss

Quote Originally Posted by Enguebert View Post
    Having a weapon to break a special DR is not necessary.
    Not necessary, but you do more damage with a +1 Metalline of Pure Good weapon than a +5 Holy Burst of Greater Bane (no silver) against Arraetrikos. Put another way, breaking DR gives you +25 damage in that situation. +25 damage is pretty sweet.
    Beside the fact that there are lot of specific DR and you can't have a weapon for each DR.
    This is not true, especially with bank space.