Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wow, what is up with the prices for things in the Auction House

I am serious, the other day I saw a nice weapon but nothing uber special and the opening bid and buy out were over 350k Platinum.

While that is an extreme example, when you look, a lot of things are way over priced.

Then you see people complaining in chat that nothing sells in the AH... hmm I wonder why?

But probably what makes it worse is that some will actually by that over priced stuff and so it continues.

Then of course you couple it with the fact that the game takes a 30 percent cut off the top and you have an epic version of taxation.

Ok, rant over now.
    An old man playing the electronic version of the game he has loved for thirty years.
    Officer, Hands of Chaos
    Proudly receiving negative feed back for having ethics and standing on Principle.
    Rangers Lead the Way

Community Member

It's been like that for ages.

My personal favourite was when people were complaining on the forums about having to wait forever and a day to get a Divine to join groups. (When it really kicked off before Motu).

When all this was going on, I noticed something odd on the Thelanis AH.

Basic items like +6 WIS rings, Devotion type items etc were all about 10-30 times the price of comparable gear in other stats.

It just seemed so ironic to me. Of course there are less Divines. They can't afford the gear they need to bloomin' heal you...

*shrug* People are greedy.

Its extra stroage space for people emptying their tr cache for another tr. 3 days on the ah + 3 weeks in your mailbox. They arent really trying to sell them.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Masterspud View Post
    While that is an extreme example, when you look, a lot of things are way over priced.
    Everything is worth what its buyer will pay for it.

I've put stuff up on the AH for storage (ridiculous price just so that it can be parked in my mailbox for a while) and had people buy it. Obviously, they didn't think that item was overpriced even though I tried *very* hard to make it so.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

On A Sailing Ship To Nowhere, Leaving Anyplace...

It seems to go in cycles, at least on Ghallanda. Last week seemed to be deal city. I filled up an entire backpack slot on a bank toon with "too good to be true deals" like Drow Piwafwis = 9K and 15K respectively, Intricate Field Optics (normal new version with slot) = 12K, Shamatic Fetish (lvl 23) = 14K, Boots of the Innocent (new version with slot) = 5K, Cape of the Roc (new version with slot) = 15K. Most of the time the prices for these are in the stratosphere and this week they are back up there. Found some awesome cheap weapons too.
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

When i plat cap, i buy overpriced stuff. Sorry if i bought your storage item. I do put it to good use

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    When i plat cap, i buy overpriced stuff. Sorry if i bought your storage item. I do put it to good use
    That is too funny.
    An old man playing the electronic version of the game he has loved for thirty years.
    Officer, Hands of Chaos
    Proudly receiving negative feed back for having ethics and standing on Principle.
    Rangers Lead the Way

If you want to see crazy try look at the shard auction house. If you do the math and compare in $ what people are asking, that's crazy. It's almost as outrageous as when the real money auction house was launched in Diablo 3.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by markthornberg View Post
    If you want to see crazy try look at the shard auction house. If you do the math and compare in $ what people are asking, that's crazy. It's almost as outrageous as when the real money auction house was launched in Diablo 3.
    As I've said a million times before, you can't do math and convert astral shards into $, since you can't trade astral shards for money. If there's something for 300 astral shards on the auction house, it's simply worth 300 astral shards to me, not real money, since I can't convert astral shards into real money and haven't spent real money to buy them.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    As I've said a million times before, you can't do math and convert astral shards into $, since you can't trade astral shards for money. If there's something for 300 astral shards on the auction house, it's simply worth 300 astral shards to me, not real money, since I can't convert astral shards into real money and haven't spent real money to buy them.
    I have to disagree with this.

While you personally may not have spent any real money to buy Shards, someone somewhere must have, in order for there to be enough in the economy.

If we were unable to buy AS and could only rely on those from lucky dice rolls and chest pulls, how much do you think items would be priced at?

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel_666 View Post
    While you personally may not have spent any real money to buy Shards, someone somewhere must have, in order for there to be enough in the economy.
    This is why you can compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel_666 View Post
    If we were unable to buy AS and could only rely on those from lucky dice rolls and chest pulls, how much do you think items would be priced at?
    If you're lucky you pull 1 from a chest. If you're very lucky you get 15 from a roll. If the economy was based solely on this, adding the fee and the cut for using the AH, astral shards would be so rare there wouldn't be an economy at all. If you need 3 for a forge, 15 for a gold roll, 15-30ish for a gold seal contract. Based on that, I would say the part of the economy which relies on free astral shards is minimal. Which means, someone buys them. If someone buys them, the item you put up on the shard AH can therefore be considered in terms of how much money you think it's worth to that person.

I know you could probably make 300 shards in a week or so if you farm EE GH like a mad man. But that's not the comparison I make here. I agree that is another comparisson but it is one that balances prices to a different parameter than the one I'm asking for. The reason I want people to compare in terms of money is because that would make the astral shard auction house interesting. Say, if I could buy a dragon helm i need for $20 and not $100 it would be within the price range that I might consider. But asking the latter, I throw the towel.

Then we're back to base 2: farming items in EE GH. If that's what I have to do to get my shards, I ask again: what's the point with the shard AH if we go there to get the items we don't have time to farm? If we're all selling surpus items for ridiculous prices that people who need to buy shards laugh at? Then it's basically a shard exchange between farmers and not an auction house that can help people who don't have time to farm to experience some nice items. Not even the crappy items are within range of actual value atm.

And trust me, if you could exchange astral shards back into money, prices would at least be the same, perhaps even worse.
    Last edited by markthornberg; 05-08-2013 at 02:15 AM.

Community Member

Wink ;) I post a few things cheap but things that are more priceless are gonna be higher..

price. If a few things sell, It wouldn't bother me to part with em. Can always find something on AH I could use instead.
    Mainly posting on AH just before TR'ing and jackin price up so it doesn't sell.

Quote Originally Posted by markthornberg View Post
    I dont even check the shard ah, well i did a couple of times but not anymore.

as for posting stuff on the ah i post items for 25-50% cheaper than anyone else and most of my items sale quite fast.
    Outatime Exodus
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Sometimes it's not really for sale, but people hoard more than they can hold, and they use the ah to hold things. At a ridiculous price, so that if someone DOES buy their item, they got enough gold not to be upset about losing the item.

Then there is the real game problem of why prices are out of control, and it's one no mmo really has come up with a good answer too. Every chest opened is putting money into the economy. VERY little removes any. That 30% epic taxation you are talking about actually is one of the very few things that gets plat outta the economy and keeps the prices from rising still higher. Boat buffs and consumables (silver flame pots, heal pots/scrolls, etc) are the only other source off the top of my head that I can think of. The more plat players accumulate, the more they want for their things from other players. It takes bigger and bigger amounts to feel worth their time selling things.

The things I would do personally for this game and situation are: Player housing, that you never fully by, and have really high rental fees. That way it's voluntary for the players that want it, motivate them into needing plat, and rewards those who want it with more storage options, thus making it attractive and removing some of the 'storage' auctions from the ah as well as getting plat back into the ether from which it comes.

Expensive but USEFUL healing pots. Seriously, power creep has hit every aspect of this game, expept healing potions. does what, 3d6+1 per caster level of the pot healing? What good does that realistically DO toons today that have between 250 to 1250 hp? And the silver flame pots are an option, and a good expensive plat sink option, but that -10 to all stats really reduces their attractiveness in the field. You can kill yourself healing if you have below a 10 stat, or get yourself helpless if you don't gear properly to use...healing pots. And putting in useful healing potions and wands would not only help the economy issue, but it would also help the fun factor for people who don't self-heal well and find themselves sitting around for hours waiting for a healer to decide they want to do that guest they posted. And it might make healing more attractive a role if people can and do help themselves instead of screaming rudely at healers. I am aware of the tp options, but that doesn't help either issue really since most people won't spend tp on them.

Maybe an additional service at the banks too for a good amount of plat to rent deposit boxes.

Anyone else have some good ideas or wanna tear mine apart?
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

This is what happens when there is little to no consequence to using exploits.

Community Member

There is already a good pp sink in the game in my experience; it's called Crafting. I took up crafting in my 2nd life, deconstructing every item I come accross, and my pp balance since I TR'ed is around 50k pp positive. That's in 22 levels of playing. May I also point out that even though not a hagglebot, I do have it as high as 'possible' (currently at 63 when commercing with npcs)

There are plenty of pp sinks. Players just prefer to hoard it all.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmits View Post
    There is already a good pp sink in the game in my experience; it's called Crafting. I took up crafting in my 2nd life, deconstructing every item I come accross, and my pp balance since I TR'ed is around 50k pp positive. That's in 22 levels of playing. May I also point out that even though not a hagglebot, I do have it as high as 'possible' (currently at 63 when commercing with npcs)

There are plenty of pp sinks. Players just prefer to hoard it all.
    But it can be done without spending any plat. My artificer is currently 149/148/146, and I haven't spent any money on it. I did it over two lives on that toon, and just passing everything I was going to vender from all my toons into the bank and deconning everything. Won a few crafting elixir pots along the way and used those. This is not a reliable, long term plat sink at all. And most players don't bother with crafting, it's considered a dead system that gives you worse gear than you can lootgen by a great many players.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    As I've said a million times before, you can't do math and convert astral shards into $, since you can't trade astral shards for money...
    Even if you cant convert shards into cash that does not mean their value cannot be expressed in cash because I believe it is possible to go the other way. If someone can purchase TPs for cash and can also buy Astral Shards at the DDO store for TPs then it is not difficult to approximate the cash value of a shard.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    But it can be done without spending any plat. My artificer is currently 149/148/146, and I haven't spent any money on it. I did it over two lives on that toon, and just passing everything I was going to vender from all my toons into the bank and deconning everything. Won a few crafting elixir pots along the way and used those. This is not a reliable, long term plat sink at all. And most players don't bother with crafting, it's considered a dead system that gives you worse gear than you can lootgen by a great many players.
    It is a back-handed plat sink. You have effectively used all of the plat you would have gotten from vendoring those items on "buying" crafting materials.

Re: the AH prices, I have long held the belief that posting fees should be a higher percentage of the the posted items minimum bid, completely or largely refundable on successful sale, and the CL cut should be lower. Generally not a popular view.
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bogenbroom View Post
    It is a back-handed plat sink. You have effectively used all of the plat you would have gotten from vendoring those items on "buying" crafting materials.

Re: the AH prices, I have long held the belief that posting fees should be a higher percentage of the the posted items minimum bid, completely or largely refundable on successful sale, and the CL cut should be lower. Generally not a popular view.
    If you think back to 2006 you will recall that was originally the case and it was so unpopular they had to change it because a HUGE portion of the trades were just going through the forums.

The Plat AH should probably be eliminated totally at this point since it forces more items to the AS AH, where posting fees are 100% refundable if things don't sell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast