Lightbulb New Metamagic feat: Phasing Spell.

Tired of people (or monsters) running round corners just as you're about to hit them with a spell?

With Phasing Spell, as long as they're within range, your spells don't have to worry about being blocked by the scenery.

I believe in PnP there's a metamagic feat called "Transdimensional Spell" that puts the spell into the ethereal realm.

So yeah /signed basically
    That which does not kill you gives you experience points.

(Fighter->Fighter->Fighter->Monk->Monk->Barbarian->Paladin->Ranger)

Sounds like someone's been running Demonweb quests!

Yugoloth Mercenaries Niac/Polar Raying thru Scenery {We were above him}.

Equal Footing for PCs pls Devs!

I think driders already apply this to their web line trips somehow. Well, if the mobs are doing it, no reason why we can't as well. It might be a bit tricky to implement but more options are always good. I'd see it as being much more useful on divines to keep pesky players healed that like to run around corners.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

I see potential exploits by casting right through barriers and walls that you shouldn't be able to cast through.

If not for that issue, sounds cool and I would /sign.

/not signed

we're opening the exploit box, not every door ingame has a lever near to it(some recquire 2 keys or whatever)

so, again, not signed
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Quote Originally Posted by Antheal View Post
    Tired of people (or monsters) running round corners just as you're about to hit them with a spell?

With Phasing Spell, as long as they're within range, your spells don't have to worry about being blocked by the scenery.
    tired yes
    but i'm not responsible for hitting them with it a second time
    their own fault for dashing off before ready, so don't care

as for phasing spell, no thx
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

I'd rather they fix mobs to NOT have that ability, and fix player spell targeting, which has been borked from the start of the game, and only worsened by UD9 and the physics engine change.

Not that I don't love my magic missiles randomly shooting up to the heavens instead of hitting the unmoving mob in front of me, or all spells failing against mobs a certain distance near you, or all the other lovely quirks.

Especially the 'no-cast spellbug', which is still frustrating casters since UD9.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

+1 to fixing or tuning up targetting first, which is the thing that is lacking or broken.

The feat that let you skip barrier is a metapsionic feat.
    I believe the transdimensional spell doesn't work to that effect, and even if so it has a few pitfalls.

First, in ddo the targets can indeed move away while the spell flies through the room.
    Otherwise it is a matter of having line of sight, and the feat notes it.
    Thus if the monster wasn't behind the wall it can run, and if the monster is behind the wall you can't target.
    Spells with manual targetting would work fine, but assumes you'd think beforehand of firing towards the wall.

Secondly, the feat doesn't explicitly say the spell blinks back and forth like the metapsionic feat says it does.
    It does say it touches creatures on the coexisting planes, intended for the many monsters that can move that way.
    Thing is, if it doesn't blink it'd either hit the wall first or end up on the other plane.
    Furthermore, blinking would only go through a wall 50% of the time, for every 5' travelled.

On the other hand, there's at least two feats to go around partial cover.
    In ddo that'd be fences, trees and lamp posts, whose geometry break line of effect for spells.

p.s. not saying devs can't invent an actual Phasing spell metamagic, of course
    (since there's precedent that transdimentional spell can fire into another plane, maybe it can cost higher or something)

Quote Originally Posted by ZeebaNeighba View Post
    I see potential exploits by casting right through barriers and walls that you shouldn't be able to cast through.
    If it'd were to work this way we'd be only able to hit the monsters taking cover.
    Once they are out of sight the line of sight would be broken.
    Foes in the next room shouldn't be targettable, though we know ddo allows it and thus will need some patching.
    (bugs already exists, with foes detecting you through walls, summons going ahead, and such)
    Last edited by donfilibuster; 03-30-2013 at 08:30 PM.

The problem is that the client lags behind the server by a slight amount.

1. The client checks if the monster is targetable. If so: take SP, start cooldown, start animation.
    2. A slight time later, the server checks if the monster is still targetable. If no: spell failure. (Most notoriously: You are not facing.)

This is stupid and frustrating. The solution is the same one as the melee physics checks -> check solution of u5: everything happens at once. If you take my SP and start my cooldown, my spell lands, period.

The solution of phasing spells is a clever bandaid, but a bandaid nonetheless.

And in conclusion, Turbine doesn't care, so it will never be fixed. Period.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    The problem is that the client lags behind the server by a slight amount.

1. The client checks if the monster is targetable. If so: take SP, start cooldown, start animation.
    2. A slight time later, the server checks if the monster is still targetable. If no: spell failure. (Most notoriously: You are not facing.)

This is stupid and frustrating. The solution is the same one as the melee physics checks -> check solution of u5: everything happens at once. If you take my SP and start my cooldown, my spell lands, period.

The solution of phasing spells is a clever bandaid, but a bandaid nonetheless.

And in conclusion, Turbine doesn't care, so it will never be fixed. Period.
    Many spells have a period of time from when you start to cast them to when they go off. I've lost many a spell that way because the situation changed while I was casting it.

An answer that I think avoids the exploits mentioned above: When you cast a phasing spell the target must be valid at the instant you start to cast it but it matters not at all where it is when the spell actually goes off.

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    /not signed

we're opening the exploit box, not every door ingame has a lever near to it(some recquire 2 keys or whatever)

so, again, not signed
    Um... what?

What does this have to do with keys and levers?

Did you post in the wrong thread again?