Community Member

Default Weapon Materials and Wild Shape??

My understanding is that when a druid goes into Wild Shape their melee attacks are considered Natural Attacks and lose the base damage die of the equipped weapon. The effects on the equipped weapon however, carry through.

For each instance below, assume Winter Wolf Wild Shape:
    Instance 1: I am wielding a +5 Flaming Scimitar of Bleed, each of my melee attacks will gain +5 To Hit & Damage, +1d10 Slash/Pierce Damage, +1d6 Fire damage and finally +1d8 bleeding damage, correct?

2nd instance: I am wielding a +5 Metalline Scimitar of Pure Good and attacking a Marilith (DR Cold Iron + Good), I should not notice any Yellow numbers due to the Metalline and Good providing the necessary DR overrides, correct?

3rd instance: I am wielding a +5 Flaming Cold Iron Scimitar of Pure Good and attacking a Marilith, will the Material Type (not an effect) carry through my Wolf form in order to overcome the DR?

Community Member

Unless they goofed up something within the last month or so #1 and #2 are both yes. I'd doubt #3 would, the animal form does its own damage types rather than having the weapon properties to change that there.

Community Member

That's what I was thinking would be the case So if I want to be able to break any metal type DRs, I either need to get a Metalline weapon or pal around with an arty.

Come to think of it, would an Artificer's metal buff (Adamantine Weapons, Silver, etc) carry thru on Wild Shape melee attacks?

Community Member

Metal types do work in Animal Form.
    I used Adamantine and Flametouched weapon bases while leveling both worked.

edit:
    Arti weapon buffs remove Wolf weapon buffs and vica verse
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Community Member

Yes, metal types in weapons work ok. Critical properties do not seem to work, for example Impact in blunt weapons doesn't seem to carry through, haven't tried Keen, since natural fighting requires IC: Bludgeoning.

Haven't tested how the weapon die increments transfer through, do they actually work in form?

edit: I once, a month ago, tried the weapon in A Relic of a Sovereign Past, Tesyus out of curiosity. It should do 4[1d8] +5 Slash, Good, Cold Iron, Magic, but didn't really see any extra in base dmg . But at that point I had only 1 mob to test it on.
    Last edited by Modulex; 03-30-2013 at 05:09 AM.

Community Member

Base damage die of whatever weapon you have equipped does not transfer through wild shape forms. Your Base Damage is dependent on whichever wild shape you're in. In the example in OP (Winter Wolf), Base damage is 1d10 Piercing and Slashing damage. I'm not sure if that's 1d10 of each, 1d5 of each or if each attack counts as both Piercing and Slashing with a total damage of 1d10 somehow. Doesn't matter whether you have a 1d2 club equipped or a 10[3d20] Godslayer Axe (I know there isn't such thing) when in Wild Shape. PS: If you happen to come across one of those Godslayer Axes, I suggest not using Wild Shape

Also for clarification, Weapon Crit multipliers are not carried through in Wild Shape either. Your shape determines your Crit Multiplier. For Winter Wolf, the Crit Multiplier is 19-20x3, iirc.

Thank you for confirming that Arti weapon buffs cancel out Druid weapon buffs. The question remains: if I have an Arti metal type buff active, would that carry through to my attacks while in Wild Shape?
    Last edited by falcon8; 03-30-2013 at 05:30 AM.

when in wolf form:

use in mainhand all the procs, extra damage, whatever

use in offhand: non procs nor extra damage i.e. metal properties, vertigo/stunning/vorpal/seeker/whatever. alignment properties

remember: alignment properties in offhand, alignment damage(holy burst as example) in mainhand

let's say this way: in mainhand active modificators, in offhand passive modificators

winter wolf is 1d10 slashing/piercing, no matter the damage dice of your weapon(nor it is piercing slashing or bludgeoning) that means is 1d10, and for DR bypass purpose is slashing and piercing (damage property)

animal attacks are unarmed, no matter what damage type, unarmed as feat means IC:bludgeoning (check the description, you can see there it specifies what i just said), dunno about impact, haven't seen the preffix ingame for a while, but if it says "bludgeoning and unarmed attack) it should work, dunno if does, the feat works, pretty sure

btw, there's an accurate post made in the forum, or at least i think there was
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    when in wolf form:

use in mainhand all the procs, extra damage, whatever

use in offhand: non procs nor extra damage i.e. metal properties, vertigo/stunning/vorpal/seeker/whatever. alignment properties

remember: alignment properties in offhand does only work in main hand for dr breaking , alignment damage(holy burst as example) in mainhand

let's say this way: in mainhand active modificators, in offhand passive modificators

winter wolf is 1d10 slashing/piercing, no matter the damage dice of your weapon(nor it is piercing slashing or bludgeoning) that means is 1d10, and for DR bypass purpose is slashing and piercing (damage property)

animal attacks are unarmed, no matter what damage type, unarmed as feat means IC:bludgeoning (check the description, you can see there it specifies what i just said), dunno about impact, haven't seen the preffix ingame for a while, but if it says "bludgeoning and unarmed attack) it should work, dunno if does, the feat works, pretty sure

btw, there's an accurate post made in the forum, or at least i think there was
    at thread:
    +dice does work in animal form but it does not show correctly (only shows correct with wraps)

Keen/etc does not work, you need the feat ic:blunt

yes artie metal buffs work
    but it is easier to have proper metal base on weapon and apply druid align buff if needed
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    at thread:
    +dice does work in animal form but it does not show correctly (only shows correct with wraps)
    Just tested this with a weapon thats has a 1,5[1-8]+5 dmg profile.

Out of form max dmg is 23, when I have +6 from str (1,5*8+5+6=23)

In Winter Wolf form max dmg is 21, when I have +6 from str (10+5+6=21)

So no, +dice doesn't work in form Good thing I didn't go melee, seems quite weak for epics...?

Community Member

Done some testing. All in White Wolf whit weapons Dagger [1d4], Dagger 2[1d4], Blade of the High Priestess 2[1d4] +6, Epic Noxious Fang 2[1d4] +9 and unarmed 2.5[1d10].

Result :
    1, +dice in wolf form works only if you have equiped nothink or handwraps.
    2, + enchantment bonus to dmg and hit works in wolf form (you can even boost it more whit Magic Fang)
    3, material of weapon (Cold Iron, Silver and else) for DR breaking working in wolf form
    4, Damage and proc enchants on weapon works only if their are in main hand
    5, Others enchants sutch as Seeker works also on off hand

So if you want to have highest dmg on hit i recomend using Epic Elite Adamantine Knuckles + Magic Fang. But that mean no shield and no shield mean not double strike from shield feats. So otherwise use the weapon whit as hgh as possible enchant bonus as possible.

Community Member

Only wrap users get the extra dice?
    Heh, at least this time something isn't broken with wraps... or maybe it isn't WAI :P