Default The Avatar - The Radiant One (solo/tank build)

Behold! The Avatar!

Hey all,

Since everyone loves flavor of the month builds, I thought I try to be ahead of the curve this time and toss out a build that I personally enjoy to great lengths.

Human – Lawful Good
    14-15 Cleric / 4-3 (Light) Monk / 2 Paladin / Unyielding Sentinel

To explain the “flex level” it really comes down to personal preference. 15 cleric gives you lv.8 spells. While 4 monk gives you better base melee damage, better saves and more dodge. Personally, I don’t find any of the level 8 divine spells to be all the amazing so I opted for a slightly better melee presence.

Role of the Avatar:
    While it’s certainly possible, this build isn’t meant/designed to be the raid healer. I know I know… I have a cleric icon… I should be a healbot! Well, too bad. To watch HP bars with this build is to waste it’s talents.
    The Avatar is a super solo friendly build that can fill the role of tank and/or support melee/heal.

Why the Avatar is cool:
    You’re basically a whole party rolled into one. You’re a tank. You’re your own healer. You can ignore most traps. You can even be a bit of a spell blaster. Even better, you can be all 4 at the exact same time! However, you can also be a team player! Those blessed with the opportunity to be near you will receive several benefits such as being healed by your Radiant Aura, healed by attacking your Fist of Light target, Light Monk finishers, and so much more!

Pros/Cons… of the Avatar:
    + As a tank… we’re super easy to heal.
    + Healing Amp of 300-426%+ achievable
    + Positive Spell power of +285-325 or more easily achievable
    + Massive (non-crit) Healing Aura (100-130+ hp for self a tick achievable)
    + Fists of Light + Vampirism = Every time you punch something, gain 6/8 – 15/20 hit points back.
    + Great Saves
    + Respectable AC
    + Decent to excellent HP (800-1000+ achievable)
    + Top end Intimidate
    + Stunning Fist
    + Level 7 cleric spells
    + ny-uncritable with 140%+ Fortification
    - Moderate DPS (we’re no DPS king, but should be respectable/useable) – However, most scenarios you won’t have to stop your damage output to heal yourself even if you don’t have a healer watching your HP bar.
    - Can get a bit a gear intensive (Tomes and heal amp items)
    - Hard to have the whole cake and eat it too when it comes to max melee and max spell blasting and have tanking level HP without some serious work first.
    - Lawful Good Alignment (I suppose this technically this counts as a flaw)

Stats… of the Avatar:
    Depending on your personal style. Con > Str > Wis > Cha/Dex > Int, is my current preference as I feel hitting necessary HP numbers (I like 1000+) is necessary. DC’s of the spells can too often be a non-factor in raids and at higher difficulties, and your to-hit and damage won’t flux enough to the point that it would put you in a different tier of dps output. Thus making Con the primary stat to ensure that, when placed in the desired role, you can perform as designed.

That being said, not all of your level up points need to be placed in Con either, but I would make sure it has enough attention to reach your desired HP tier.

What we get from being Human:
    Bonus Feat, mo’ skillz, and 30% Heal Amp.

What we get from Cleric:
    Beyond the level 7-8 Cleric spells, the main reason we’re here is for the Radiant Aura. Which "essentially" allows you to use a Cure Serious Wand on those fortunate of enough to be near you while you cast a Heal Scroll on yourself… at the same time…every 2 seconds… without doing a thing… for free... all day.

What we get from Monk:
    Stunning Fist, Fire Stance, Wisdom to AC, Evasion, Healing Amp, Light Finishers, and of course Fist of Light. Which, FoL, adds nice bonus to all who attack the same target as you. Which, for those playing at home, is excellent synergy for tanking!

What we get from Paladin:
    A little extra HP, Intimidate as a skill, and saves… a huge boost to saves.

What we get from Unyielding Sentinel:
    +5 caster level, tons of HP, some saves, etc... Also, ideally we’re in Stand Against the Tide mode most of the time as the extra damage and saves will serve us well for most content. However switching to Sentinel Stance for the extra Healing Amp, +100hp and Healing Touch against raid/high damage boss tanking can be the better mode.

Twists of Fate… for the Avatar:
    While(of course) you can adjust these as you see fit, I recommend using:
    - Legendary Tactics from Tier 1 Legendary Dreadnaught
    - Purity of Essence from Tier 3 Exalted Angel
    - Unearthly Reactions from Tier 1 Magister

Ideal Gear… for the Avatar:
    - Heal Amp items (Jidz-tet'ka, Purple Dragon Knight Gauntlets, etc…)
    - Ivy Wraps (EH or EE versions my preferred weapon of choice), Grave wrappings etc..
    - Sweet Rings (ToD rings with burst effects, Seal of House Don’Robar, etc..)

*Optional tanking gear allowed - Switching from PJ's to Toaster can be a good back up plan against some of the bigger fights. You lose evasion and centered (which hurts your healing amp), but it's still possible to generate 100+ hp a tick aura while you up your PRR.

Typical Feats… for the Avatar: (12 total feat slots)
    - Standard: Power Attack, Stunning First, Quicken, Empower Heal
    - Melee: TWF chain
    - Spell blasting: Maximize, Empower
    - If you can get ‘em: Past Life: Monk, Completionist (obv)
    - Toughness: Epic and Heroic. Apply as many as needed.
    Without Completionist, you can slot everything (w/1 toughness). However, if you need to bump your HP with more toughness I’d start knocking off spell blasting stuff. As much as I like going with Max +Empower for blade barriers and what not, it’s not something I do often. Add in the smaller spell pool and the role of not being a heal bot… meh.

Skills... of the Avatar:
    Intimidate (to tank), Concentration (if you care to use scrolls), UMD (if you have the items for it), Balance (if being tripped/knocked down while outside of Stand Against the Tide is a concern for you), Spot (if you like to see things) and you should have at least a small investment in Tumble to utilize the pseudo short range teleport out of Unearthly Reactions.

Past Lives... of the Avatar: Not technically needed, but the more you have the better you’ll be. Pretty much every past life improves on at least one aspect of the Avatar in some form or another. Below are the ones I would recommend getting first and foremost.
    - Paladin = at least 2x to you can more easily reach the 400% mark
    - Monk = at least 1 so you can take the past life feat

How will the Avatar handle the enhancement pass?
    While there is much we don't know. I imagine it will handle it quite well. The enhancements are focused on one thing, how much you can heal yourself via your aura. Everything else comes from items, feats, class, etc.. So really, I can only see this character getting better by getting more hit points, saves, immunites, etc.. Unless they remove the heal amp options all together… the Avatar will be fine.

Questions? Comments? Otherwise, enjoy and have fun.
    Last edited by Magnus_Arcanis; 03-29-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Made Aura numbers more clear and added extra tanking options

Community Member RavenStormclaw's Avatar

Interesting concept. I am just the beginning stages of a 2nd life true Rez. 4/2 cleric monk. This build would work well for me as this particular toon will be duoing with my sons arti a lot. Could you post an ideal stat breakdown and feat suggestions. The free LR can fix most issues. Thansk

Quote Originally Posted by RavenStormclaw View Post
    Interesting concept. I am just the beginning stages of a 2nd life true Rez. 4/2 cleric monk. This build would work well for me as this particular toon will be duoing with my sons arti a lot. Could you post an ideal stat breakdown and feat suggestions. The free LR can fix most issues. Thansk
    It's difficult to give out the starting stats and breakdown. Items, tomes, build points, and player preferences differ from user to user. That being said, below is what I'd do.

The 'Ideal' starting stats, using +4 tomes and a 36 pt. build:

16 str / 13 dex / 16 con / 8 int / 16 wis / 13 cha

1.Monk.Power Attack,Stunning Fist, Toughness
    2-6.Cleric.Empower Heal, X
    7.Monk. Two-Weapon Fighting
    8-14.Cleric. X,X
    15-16.Paladin.Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    17.Monk
    18-19.Cleric. Greater Two Weapon Fighting
    20. Flex level.
    21. Epic Toughness
    24. X

X= Quicken, Past Life:Monk, Completionist, Maximize, Empower, or moar Toughness. Or whatever you like such as skill focus or whatever.

Note* Waiting that long to take paladin can be a bit hazardous to your skill breakdown when it comes to intimidate. Theres no harm in taking the paladin levels earlier if you feel the need. I just like getting to my aura quicker. Since I personally don't do much "actual tanking" until 15+ anyway I opt to take levels later. Still, whenever you feel the need to get the skill or the bonus to saves... take the levels. At cap, it'll all even out.

Dexterirty: If you don't have tomes or the build points, it's easy enough to sacrifice a few starting points. The only thing that HAS to remain is your ability to get to a 17 base dex else you lose out on two-weapon fighting feats.

Charisma: Dumping too much could take you out of Divine Might. However, this is not a make or break ability. Hurting your saves isn't ideal, but you can go down to a start of 8 and still have an awesome time.

Wisdom: I dislike going below 14 as it hurts your ac, stun dc, spell points, and spell dc, but freeing up 4 build points could be worth it.

Consitution: Like wisdom, I dislike going below 14. Hitting top end HP is pretty darn important at the end game. However, more toughness can make up for this.

Strength: Don't touch it.16 is high enough that you won't struggle early, and lower damage is unnoticable at the end game. However, it's also low enough to not tax your build pool.

Hope that helps and let me know how it works out for you.

What's your Stunning Fist DC and how much does your Radiant Aura typically heal you per non-crit tick? You mention 100-130 is achievable, but that seems a bit far fetched to me.

I personally don't see the draw to Unyielding Sentinel with this build. Avatar of Nature in Primal Avatar is superb damage with the full TWF line and IC: Bludgeon, and your aura automatically provides you 2 spirit every 3 seconds.

I wouldn't ever consider this a tank build. You don't generate enough hate to hold aggro, and you're far too squishy compared to heavy armor SD/DoS tanks with shields.

You mention handwraps are your weapon of choice. With only 3 or 4 monk, the damage is supbar compared to Sireth. Seal of Dun'Robar is also suboptimal. Grave Wrappings/Seal of Avithoul is a much better setup, as all that sneak attack damage gets applied when the mob is stunned.
    Last edited by Carpone; 03-29-2013 at 09:39 AM.
    Kobeyashi | Hamada | Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Carpone View Post
    What's your Stunning Fist DC and how much does your Radiant Aura heal you per non-crit tick?

I personally don't see the draw to Unyielding Sentinel with this build. Avatar of Nature in Primal Avatar is superb damage with the full TWF line and IC: Bludgeon, and your aura automatically provides you 2 spirit every 3 seconds.
    Non-crit aura = 100+
    Stunning DC = Mid 50's without buffs/debuffs/trying to hard. Low 60's are certainly achievable.

The reason for Unyielding is primarily for the +5 caster cleric caster level (only US and Exalted Angel do this to my knowledge) to boost the base of the aura to 7 hp a tick. When combined with your spell power, lets say +325. And if you did the arderous work of getting all the cool heal amp stuff (paladin pl, 10,20,30 from items, fire stance+jidz,enhancments) to get us to 426%

7 X spell power X heal amp = 126 hp a tick without critting.

I wouldn't ever consider this a tank build. You don't generate enough hate to hold aggro, and you're far too squishy compared to heavy armor SD/DoS tanks with shields.

You mention handwraps are your weapon of choice. With only 3 or 4 monk, the damage is supbar compared to Sireth. Seal of Dun'Robar is also suboptimal. Grave Wrappings/Seal of Avithoul is a much better setup, as all that sneak attack damage gets applied when the mob is stunned.
    Threat Generation - Intolerant Blow might disagree with you.

Squishy - I can't disagree that the build will take more damage than a turtle. However, we're not completely without physical resistance/miss chance and with so much healing amp... it's not hard to stand against the tide if you will.

Also, I should mention, for those really diffuclt spots, switching to heavy armor and a shield isn't out of the question. The biggest problem with that is you lose out on being centered and evasion. However, if you're healing amp is up to snuff (3x paladin past life) you can still have the aura tapping you for 100 Hp a tick.

Thats the simple beauty of the Avatar. You're not stuck in one mode. You can match any challenge (not always quickly, but possible) if you're willing to adapt.

Item Setup - The options you mentioned is definately a good way to go. Not going to argue that. The reason I suggested Ivy Wraps as the go to weapon, is 1) Vamprism to highlight the passive incoming healing 2) Cloudkill Proc which generates not only the damage but concealment for you and your team.

DPS - Like I said in the top post. I would place this build in the tier 2 of damage output. We don't burst, we don't crit for giant numbers, the Avatar merely has a steady stream of damage that can be supplemented by spells such as our go-to damage spell, Divine Punishment. As for the destiny itself, US gives us holy and pure good and +2 base damage (= +12.5 damage against most targets) while in Stand Against the Tide and moving. If able to stand still, add another +4.

Nothing mind blowing, but not useless either.

To be fair, I suppose we could get Overwhelming Critical. Saccing 4 feats to get its kinda rough, but could be worth doing. Last I heard though is that it doesn't work for wraps, but it's been a long time since I've looked/bothered with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus_Arcanis View Post
    Non-crit aura = 100+
    Stunning DC = Mid 50's without buffs/debuffs/trying to hard. Low 60's are certainly achievable.

The reason for Unyielding is primarily for the +5 caster cleric caster level (only US and Exalted Angel do this to my knowledge) to boost the base of the aura to 7 hp a tick. When combined with your spell power, lets say +325. And if you did the arderous work of getting all the cool heal amp stuff (paladin pl, 10,20,30 from items, fire stance+jidz,enhancments) to get us to 426%

7 X spell power X heal amp = 126 hp a tick without critting.
    It is turn level not cleric caster level for the aura. Assuming that US adds to turn level it would be on a pure cleric level (20 + 5 Unyielding + 2 turn level) / 3 for aura so = 9 for pure cleric. Fist of light does not really add alot. A strong case could be made for 17 cleric 2 paladin 1 monk ( I am not sure how pally turns work with cleric turn level?) . That way you get an extra aura 17 cleric + 5 US +2 = 24/3 = 8. There is also Wisdom based for higher stun dcs and better spell dcs. Destruction are much more powerful then folks give them credit for with an energy drain you can kill mobs fairly quick.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

What's your Stunning Fist DC and how much does your Radiant Aura typically heal you per non-crit tick? You mention 100-130 is achievable, but that seems a bit far fetched to me.

I agree with you regarding primal avatar from an offensive melee dps standpoint on a cleric it is a no brainer really guessing the OP has not played Primal. I would change the build because it really is not a tank other then it can heal itself and has some nice saves.. I would either make the build more of an offensive spell caster/melee combination build or go primal avatar for more offensive melee dps.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    I agree with you regarding primal avatar from an offensive melee dps standpoint on a cleric it is a no brainer really guessing the OP has not played Primal. I would change the build because it really is not a tank other then it can heal itself and has some nice saves.. I would either make the build more of an offensive spell caster/melee combination build or go primal avatar for more offensive melee dps.
    I certainly admit to not playing primal avatar (to be honest I should probably change the name of the build now that I think of it). However, to my knowledge PA doesn't add to the aura base while US (and exaclted angel) does.

Also, the Aura is caster level, not turn level which is why US works.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus_Arcanis View Post
    Threat Generation - Intolerant Blow might disagree with you. [...] I would place this build in the tier 2 of damage output.
    What have you tanked with this build?
    Kobeyashi | Hamada | Ying

What have you tanked with this build?
    Most pre-u16 content. Except for Lord of Blades, quest chain never really appealed to me on any level.

Kind of in TR mode/in and out of hiatus at the moment. But, was thinking about going back into the build for awhile to catch up on the newer content soon and was hoping that by posting the build I could avoid some of the negativity/questions/ignoring when I do decide to pug it up.

That and well... to get the word out so other like-minded people could give a shot. The more people actually having some focus on heal-amp and/healing auras the better IMO.

Not easy going against the grain. Once people find one way to do something, rarely are better paths found. (not saying this way better, but I'm convinced that it can be just as effective in the right light)

Community Member

I like the concept.

Someone mentioned damage with wraps being no good. I have a 15 Druid/4mnk/1fighter and with a dance of flowers twisted in the base damage is 4 (1d6) equip some grave wrappings and you are gravy on trash, switch too Ivy Wraps/beaters for bosses. This 4 (1d6) is without monk past life feat (I have monk past life but cant fit the feat) and without reinforced fists, so 5 (1d6) is achievable.
    A stunning fist of 60 odd also means alot more damage, I say stick with wraps.
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)