Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Community Member

Hi,

Just to reiterate what many other people have said here already:

1. Connecting forum and game log-in details is a bad idea. Please don't do it. When your forums are hacked, and our payment details are stolen, you will be sorry. Or at least you should be. The players will be, anyway, and it would be nice if this was a consideration.

2. MyDDO is/was/could be a useful service. Please don't remove it. There is at least one similar and better-functioning service, and I'm sure the person who runs it could give you some help getting yours working properly too.

3. Give-aways via the forums and social media sounds like a step backwards, at least as far as player convenience is concerned. Some of us would rather chew off both our legs than use Facebook, and why should we have to go outside the game to be included in give-aways? Can't your new daily dice tech or some other in-game method be used to do give-aways instead? Or is the idea to make it so inconvenient that it can wither away through disuse?

4. Removal of negative reputation from the forums will have bad consequences. I suspect the motive behind this is that the adjudication is considered to be a waste of time/money. The thing is, the ability of the community to neg rep people who are generally offensive or stupid helps Turbine keep the forums from being even worse than they are.

Thanks.
    Astrican on Khyber

Community Member

Now I wonder something, does this mean we can change forum name as well?
    This forum account I am currently typing on is not linked to my main game account.

My main game account was transferred from codemasters and somehow my forum name is the same as my game login.
    I can't recall it was me doing it, since it has BAD IDEA written all over it (then again, maybe I did), but that causes me from refraining to join this wonderful forum community because a free account can't post everywhere I think (I actually tried to give a helpful reply once and the forum went bloopdeebloopnuuh).

I looked around and somewhere it stated clearly that the option of changing forum names is disabled.
    If this change is implemented I want to change the forum name of my gameaccount that somehow has my game login as forumname. I have 0 posts with that forum account, so noone will miss the wonderful words of 'accountsafetyliability2000'.

I hope this story makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeNoctu View Post
    And if this is going to be such a change as to be done whether I like it or not... As in, if my username and password will be slid over to the forums so that it's the same even if I never log in on the forums, then that's going to cause another problem. I love this game and have no desire to give it up... But I like my privacy and data security more.
    ^I'm hoping this isn't the case but it sure sounds like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhenissa View Post
    If Turbine wants me to spend money on their entertainment, I had better feel damn safe with their security protocols. The above announcement makes me feel very insecure.
    ^Huzzah!

Quote Originally Posted by PogueMahon View Post
    @Cordovan
    I know that people like you care about the player base but, the business office doesn't they just want their profit which is unfortunate and slowly degrades how players feel about a game.
    ^I totally agree.
    "Its not D&D anymore, more D$D." -- Brannigan
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Aelyrra - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalgren View Post
    Just so we're clear: I am going to have to choose between having my credit card attached to my account and having a forum account? Because that's what this really means.

Going to be a hard call.
    not for me I don't care about my ddo never did

my cc tied to turbines accts. system will be reported lost as soon as this change is implemented

after all these years I will be done paying ........thanx I guess

Community Member

Default Reconsider or reassure me...

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    ...After the upgrade, you will use your DDO game login credentials to log into the forums, and your current forum name will become your display nickname. You will retain all of your existing posting history, reputation, etc...
    Cordo - could you please address player concerns regarding the use of game accounts for forum access and the potential security implications regarding credit card/payment information tied to those accounts?

I am not in favor of any system that puts my payment information in a more vulnerable position, and vBulletin (and any other forum/webapp software) is a far more vulnerable system than the DDO game client.

Default 2 cents

I can understand removing MyDDO, as it was obviously broken beyond repair. Please let community members pick up from there by proving an API.

I too will be reluctant to use my game credentials to log on to forums. I might create a dummy account, or just ignore the forums. Alternate community run forums might pick up in popularity...

As for Facebook, I will NOT associate my rarely used FB account with DDO or any other game, however much I'm a fan of the game. These are two parts of my life that will be kept separate. I already have a DDO-only Twitter account, maybe I'll use that a bit more.

Thanks for all the fish. See you on some other forums, and some other blogs. They might be Turbine operated, they might not.
    Last edited by stoerm; 03-29-2013 at 08:57 AM.
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stoerm View Post
    I can understand removing MyDDO, as it was obviously broken beyond repair.
    It was broken, and with the forum version change, it may not be compatible at all with the new version.

I have no idea how or if the two systems have any relations to each other.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Forums

After the upgrade, you will use your DDO game login credentials to log into the forums, .

This is a tremendously bad, horrible, misguided idea. I've played LOTRO for years and people constantly complain about this. It is a security breach waiting to happen. Game logins should never be used for anything else, never ever ever.

I am not a turbine hater. I think they make good decisions and bad decisions just like any company. I support them making a buck and lots of the other changes announced are good ones.

But come on turbine, you are violating one of the cardinal rules of good security. I run IT for my organization and would lose my job if I made this sort of decision.

I beg you to rethink this for both DDO and LOTRO. Please?
    Satcher, Ranger, Sarlona
    Vacuole, Barbarian, Sarlona
    I'm on Sarlona if anyone wants to say hi. Usually evenings, east coast, US
    What goes around comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieWest_GuitarGod View Post
    I like all your points. I'd like to see them try Neverwinter's concept of handles. It would actually add features to the game (being able to tell everyone's alts are, great utility for guild leaders), be just as effective at eliminating dupe accounts/ban-bypassin, and provide far more security than this maniacal idea of sharing forum/in-game names. All while keeping game log in & account information, and forum names separate...
    I really hate idea of people being able to know all my alts.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Yeah Uska, we have a few guildies that do the lotto. Shame.
    Now I am really wishing I had liked NWO or could at last tolerate it well maybe they will change it enough for me at some point other wise it's time to goofing with SWG emulator again.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

It has been stated before, however:

The one thing that really stands out as something that needs to be re-thought is the usage of account info to log into forums.

Let's be honest here:

There was a scare not so far back that, like the LOTRO forums, DDO forums got hacked. It would seem that by taking this direction, Management is almost inviting others to try again.

Why would this chance even be considered? Too much risk VS reward if you were to ask me.

As for the MyDDO concern: If it worked properly like it USED to, it would be great. I would advocate looking into what exactly is wrong with it NOW, and repairing it.
    Let's be frank: Creature Companions and icon colors, etc.; they aren't something that REALLY help players. A properly functioning MyDDO would.

I really hope this entire thread is given heavy consideration by the Management and Development teams.
    Callissto:RS~Calithallasi:Fowl~Merb:RS~GearsofWar: Shiradi~Durperian:Necro~Aritahl:Figher~Jeatt:Shint ao~Mzil:Machine Gunner

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley_Nicholas View Post
    This seems to me like you're saying "We don't want to bother fixing or supporting this tool, even though it is very useful to a lot of players. So we're just going to kill it and not bother replacing any of its functionality. Now run along and buy something from the store."
    Except that this is exactly what they are saying. I don't know exactly who is saying it, I suspect whatever Manager is in charge of the Content-to-Income ratio. Why work on content that brings no direct income when you can put that development time into a new "Supreme Otto's Box of Give Us All Your Money"?

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Now I am really wishing I had liked NWO or could at last tolerate it well maybe they will change it enough for me at some point other wise it's time to goofing with SWG emulator again.
    LOL I dont know dude you HATE that game. We agree on one thing we equally hate 4e. For some crazy reason though... I liked Neverwinter. Go figure, if you told me that 3 yrs ago I woulda laughed in your face with wreckless abandon All kinds of new code is getting tested though so one never knows , but if I were a bettin Leslie, I'd bet that changes were a comin' to Neverwinter's character creation down the pipe...

My best bud loved SWG... he could never get me into it tho... even tho he tried..
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 03-29-2013 at 12:22 PM.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

The more I had time to think about it the less sense merging our in game log on and forum log on makes.

When I joined this game even though my first character is named Kalari I thought it would be a pretty stupid move to use that as my game log on. I didn't mind it being the forum log on since it was the only character I had in the first year. I really liked that it was separate as well though I never tried to hide my identity on the forums.

Thing is my log on name is something that has a mix of my real name because it used to be a separate thing. I am sure there are many others who have similar stories. I honestly do not care if I lose my post count, rep points (disabled it anyway) or any title that I did not have in the first place. I do care about security and having people have access to my personal information. Its one of the things that drove me away from Sony after their hacker problems.
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

Quote Originally Posted by Kalari View Post
    The more I had time to think about it the less sense merging our in game log on and forum log on makes.

When I joined this game even though my first character is named Kalari I thought it would be a pretty stupid move to use that as my game log on. I didn't mind it being the forum log on since it was the only character I had in the first year. I really liked that it was separate as well though I never tried to hide my identity on the forums.

Thing is my log on name is something that has a mix of my real name because it used to be a separate thing. I am sure there are many others who have similar stories. I honestly do not care if I lose my post count, rep points (disabled it anyway) or any title that I did not have in the first place. I do care about security and having people have access to my personal information. Its one of the things that drove me away from Sony after their hacker problems.
    Turbine's already had DDO/LOTRO accounts hacked in '11. I'm shocked they'd be this inconsiderate with people's security.

Here's Victorie's wise advice from 2011:

Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    If you believe that your account may be hacked or stolen..... snip

We recommend that you do not use your specific game login (username and password combination) for other websites. Especially other gaming websites.
    And now.. we'll be forced to use our specific game login on our very own forums!?

I'm expecting a new security guard service to be introduced with the typical "your safe behind our great new Account Guard" spiel.

Gonna be an interesting 2013...

No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

While this does not impact me very much, I can see how it impacts others.

Perhaps now is the time for you to offer an update to the /completions command, and turn it into an actual page attached to your account.

It should show:

Missions accomplished
    Raids Flagged
    Raids Accomplished
    Raids on Timer

In a Display format that would show for your character, and then a higher level view for EACH of your characters.

muffinideas
    Now Diving in Lava, with the Lava Divers.

AKA, Cb,Cg,Cj,Cl,Co,Cp,Cq,Cr,Cs,Ct,Cw,Cx,Cz and...Edvard. All the other C's were taken.

The Hatchery

I don't use MyDDO or any fansites that use the MyDDO API, my DDO account does not hold my card information but instead bills through Steam, never played the lottery, never used the compendium, and I have those stupid reputation blocks disabled through Adblock ( http://content.turbine.com/sites/for...es/reputation/ is filtered ).

Maybe someday Turbine will make a decision that annoys me.

Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
    And I do hope the forum doesnt become cluttered with ads, please allow me to keep my light colored text on a dark background, or I won't be participating much.
    Get an actual web browser and then install this.

Not that Turbine would actually put advertisements on the forums, but if they did, I wouldn't notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Qezuzu View Post
    Get an actual web browser and then install this.

Not that Turbine would actually put advertisements on the forums, but if they did, I wouldn't notice.
    LOL I'll do you one better:

NoScript
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir...ddon/noscript/

It's an amazing piece of free software.

Quote Originally Posted by SirShen View Post
    /signed.

If you are going to do this then i want a mobile authenticator. This is the only game that does not have one.
    Independent of the changes it's long overdue that we would get this anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Can we have our fourm accounts killed I don't want to participate in the coming nonsense of bad security and social media
    We probably have to stop our subscriptions, and tell the Service to remove all related data from our Account... nice thought through to get rid of VIP subscriptions!

Turbine's already had DDO/LOTRO accounts hacked in '11. I'm shocked they'd be this inconsiderate with people's security.

Here's Victorie's wise advice from 2011...
    Not shocked, not even surprised, just sadly a perfect example
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

The Hatchery

LOL I'll do you one better:

NoScript
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir...ddon/noscript/

It's an amazing piece of free software.
    I actually do have that, but it often breaks pages (before you allow stuff through) so I don't recommend it to people.

Also, this, this, and this.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast