Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Does this mean that MyDDO is out of Beta now?

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    The forums are going to be upgraded to a newer version of vBulletin. After the upgrade, you will use your DDO game login credentials to log into the forums, and your current forum name will become your display nickname.
    You do know what an absolutely horrible security move that is, right?

[*] The reputation system will be revamped to allow only positive reputation to be issued.
    Just get rid of it then. Positive without negative is pointless.

[*] Our bug reporting system is being revamped. Soon you will no longer need a forum login in order to submit bug reports
    Well that will be nice

Quote Originally Posted by geoffhanna View Post
    To pull any unique images or other work off of the Compendium and myDDO before it is all gone?
    You should have at least a couple of weeks, probably longer. We'll announce a more solid time a bit closer to the actual shift to the new forums and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Samir_Bennal View Post
    Does this include keeping the Titles like Founder and Hero?
    Forum titles will transition over to the new forums.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

I'm especially concerned that you want us to use our game log-in to log into the forums. You know, the one attached to my credit card info? Yeah. That one. It's a supremely bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by rest View Post

I'm especially concerned that you want us to use our game log-in to log into the forums. You know, the one attached to my credit card info? Yeah. That one. It's a supremely bad idea.
    This I do not see why this change is necessary at all, I do not want to put my account into a compromising position.

The rep system after thinking about it really do not see the point of keeping it at all now.

And I am sad that we are losing the blogs and wont know if they will ever come back
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

After the upgrade, you will use your DDO game login credentials to log into the forums, and your current forum name will become your display nickname.
    And here I was thinking: finally, a company that allows a defense in depth security approach instead of putting all the eggs in one basket...

What's next? Integration with facebook account?

We are investigating ways of bringing blogging to players in the community site,
    That's nice.
    Will there possibly be an option for in-character blogging? (The current one has been broken anyways, so it'd be a nice improvement)
    Druids have a fundamental right to bear arms.

"No more patterns" - Shroud puzzles guide.

I cant say that i am very surprised with this news, Turbine didn't care about MyDDO alooooonng time ago.

A bit sad about the API (character data and other stuff) and the log being discontinued as well, it basically killed DDOViewer as it is and all other tools out there.

Anything planned to replace the API?
    A new API perhaps?
    Creator of DDOViewer

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley_Nicholas View Post
    Why even have rep anymore? If any reputation consequence for being disruptive/trolling/attacking is removed, then positive rep is even more meaningless than it was before and the system loses the last little shred it had of a purpose. Just remove reputation entirely already.
    Too many people use the rep system as a opinionated like dislike button. There is still a consequence for disruptive/trolling/attacking posts, its called the report button. It was far too easy for people to troll the new guys rep into automod oblivion simply due to disagreement. Now if report is abused, there are possible consequences for that too, and its far more noticed by a mod than if neg rep is abused.

I prefer a forum system with a report button only. That way people cant add or subtract rep simply due to agree/disagree. The post either violates forum guidelines or it doesnt. No one deserves "consequences" due to differing opinion.

I approve of this measure, and would approve more if they just made it a report only system.
    Last edited by IWCoppercrest; 03-28-2013 at 07:49 PM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Silas_O'Reilly View Post
    Unfortunately, this change (specifically the removal of the API) will kill a good chunk of YourDDO. I will make my official announcement in the fansites area once I'm level-headed enough to not come across like an angry troll...
    That really sucks.

Devs...are there plans on putting out a more robust API so we can get character data and guild data? Not just stats...but character inventory...quest completions...favor totals...etc... Or...are you killing off any potential fanbase app development?

As for using game log on as forum log on - this is a bad move, for the afore mentioned security reasons.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Angry Security Nightmare.

Forum passwords should be SEPARATE from Game login passwords for security.

That way if the forum gets hacked the hacker doesn't get our game passwords.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
    Time to toss the dice.
    MatrimDaved

So... while your soon to be direct competitor is creating a gateway that allows the player to do allot of stuff out of game (mail, AH, etc, etc) you kill the little you had in that area...

Good move Turbine, good move...

The forums are going to be upgraded to a newer version of vBulletin. After the upgrade, you will use your DDO game login credentials to log into the forums, and your current forum name will become your display nickname. You will retain all of your existing posting history, reputation, etc. If you're new to the forums, you'll be able to select a display nickname the first time you log into the forums with your game credentials. Other notable changes include:
    Making my cash less secure does not help me keep playing head-games with myself to justify shelling out for the upcoming expansion. Just sayin.

Community Member

Given the huge security hole that having a forum account now appears to be once they integrate it with the game login is there going to be a method which we can delete our forum accounts and prevent our login account from functioning on the forums?

If I have to expose my account to the forums which would give access to things I actually pay real money for I want something better than the poor track record of forum security to safeguard my account. So is there a way we can opt out of this change or at least nuke our current account to close this gap?

I will miss the forums for it's advise and the odd post I make myself but I do not want to expose my game account in this way.
    Founding Member and Current Leader of Sword And Siren on Cannith
    Main Toons: Cerafim | GrumpyKuss | Thextor | Khrysti | RocHound | Artychoke | Buggzapper

Veni, Vidi, Velcro: I came, I saw, I got stuck

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Interesting use of the word "upgrade". I shall have to bring this to the attention of the dictionary people.
    It's definitely an N-word.

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingGrump View Post
    Given the huge security hole that having a forum account now appears to be once they integrate it with the game login is there going to be a method which we can delete our forum accounts and prevent our login account from functioning on the forums?

If I have to expose my account to the forums which would give access to things I actually pay real money for I want something better than the poor track record of forum security to safeguard my account. So is there a way we can opt out of this change or at least nuke our current account to close this gap?

I will miss the forums for it's advise and the odd post I make myself but I do not want to expose my game account in this way.
    I would also like to know if this is possible.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." - Ernest Hemmingway

Community Member

Meh, another Turbine Fail.
    Did you ever, EVER! hear something of security?

Damn it, even my grandmother knows more of that then you...
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

I disagree heavily with the use of game accounts for forum access.
    Asheras - Velania - Ventarya - Renvar - Vallorynn - Officer - Loreseekers and Sentinels Guilds - Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by Scraap View Post
    Making my cash less secure does not help me keep playing head-games with myself to justify shelling out for the upcoming expansion. Just sayin.

Lotro did the same thing a long time ago. They seem to be still doing all right.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zeonardo View Post
    Lacking words to describe how disappointed I am...

Can you just keep classes/ability/worn equipment at least?
    It's very nice to be able to tell a character's generation story by it's my.ddo page.
    Losing it will be really sad for me.
    If my characters woudl actually have been updating you'd have more feels from me. But as they haven't updated properly in years... GOOD RIDDANCE.

Quote Originally Posted by MindCake View Post
    What's next? Integration with facebook account?
    If the Bunny demands it. Remember, they are going to be giving out prizes now via daily dice and social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    Lotro did the same thing a long time ago. They seem to be still doing all right.
    Sure.. AFTER the LOTRO forums caused all forums to be shut down for days... (weeks?) Due to the fact they were not secure, Turbine IGNORED the warnings and step by step instructions of how to get access to private information, and... well, do you really need me to continue?
    Last edited by Missing_Minds; 03-28-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast