Community Member

Default Bard 8 needs trap skills

I'm up to level 8 as the Mississippi Queen Spellsinger bard but find that I need trap skills.

How many levels of Rogue will I need? And when should I pick them up?

Thanks.

The best time to pick up one level of rogue is at character creation, so you get the big pile of skill points and can add to them with each subsequent level. It is much harder to catch up on spot, search, and disable device if you take one rogue level at level 9 or higher.

If you really want to be effective at trapping, get a +1 lesser heart and reroll, starting with a level of rogue and then switching to bard.

You can still be effective if you take the rogue level now, but it is much more gear-intensive, and at higher levels you might not be able to find or disable the harder traps.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jarladdin Nalfesne, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Sole member of Guinness Knights (Level 105)

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

By what you said here it seems you solo mostly, because teaming with trapster would solve your problems.

Now, for your question there is no easy answer. Incorporating trapskills into Mississippi Queen means you will loose quite a lot - the build is pure bard, if you splash even a single level, you lose 3 from the enchantment DC at lvl 20 which is major hit for a bard. You might as well forget the Dancing Ball spell doing anything.

Please remember that the splashing is the matter of priorities. If you think trapskills will be more useful than the casting, then go for it. If not - well, then stick with pure and just team with someone who has the trapskills or live through the traps (which can be comfortably done for a vast majority of quests and traps even on elite).

If you decide to splash, take at least two rogue levels to get Evasion feat - this might come in very handy if your reflex save would be at least decent (and it might be as both bard and rogue have reflex save as one of their priorities). On the other hand, do not take more than 4 levels in another class than is Bard, because you would lose another 1 from DC (if you have Heighten). Even a single (or two) level(s) of rogue should be enough for trapskills - remember you need to max Search and Disable Device for this to work, and possibly also Spot if you do not know the traps location in the game. This can be done from bard's skill points, just keep perform and UMD maxed too.

Personally, if you started as Mississippi Queen and want to keep the design up, stick with it and do not take any Rogue Levels. I would do so, but I tend to plan my toons long ahead with some knowledge of the game, including knowing the weaknesses of such characters. If you decide to splash, search for some alternative build and respec to it - I would recommend one of those 16/2/2 splits, possibly Bard/Rogue/Fighter, Bard/Rogue/Ranger or something similar. In such case, take the first rogue level now and invest all skill points into search/disable device evenly. Take next level of rogue once more whey you will be able to spend all skill points into these two stats again. However, I feel that it might be difficult to have full trapskills on a build that have not counted with that beforehand.

Just my $0.02 .
    Characters on Cannith: Daian of the Tree, completionist (life 20); Tirain Hawksong (4th life Monkcher), Sorain Hawksong (2nd life Wizard), several mules.
    Recruitment Officer and proud member of The Silver Legion on Cannith. Feel free to PM me about the guild!

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Why exactly do you think you "need" trap skill snow?

Trying to multiclass into rogue(or artificer for that matter) at this point is a terrible idea and in [no] way can end up well.

Reincarnate or reroll.

Or just play your bard. there really is no "need" to have trap skills.
    Last edited by Impaqt; 03-28-2013 at 11:27 AM.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post

Trying to multiclass into rogue(or artificer for that matter) at this point is a terrible idea and in NO way can end up well.

Reincarnate or reroll.

Added the rather important word in your statement
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Tolkiens Law: Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    Dresdens corollary:
    Screw subtle!

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Garix View Post
    Added the rather important word in your statement
    indeed. corrected.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

As pointed above LR. My counting would tell about 7 rogue levels.... but note maxing a few more skills like balance, concentration, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post

This is good advice. Trapskills are not "needed" and a person can enjoy the class without them. Adding it in now would require a much different direction than the build normally takes, including giving up the capstone on a CHA based build for a big impact. Normally splashed bards are giving up on spell DC's at level 20+ and focus on melee instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    a powerful ally able to play in any role that the group needs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zonbLF-NMZg

Community Member

My first life Bardcher took his first rogue lvl at lvl 13 and his second at lvl 14 and can do EE traps, he has no int (except for item/tome), saying you can't get it from lvl 9 onwards is false, very false. He even had the skill points left to max UMD and perform...
    Ainevek: 9/6/2 FvS/ranger/paladin (life 2/?) Shinweng: 8/5/2 monk/wizard/paladin (life 4/3?Abaranda: 18/2 FvS/monk (life 7/?) Kevenia: 6 sorcerer (life 2/?)
    Two handed chruchers, Ghallanda

I know it's spending real money and all, which may well not be an option for you, but if you need trap skills and don't want to deface the beauty that is the Mississippi Queen build, drop some cash for some turbine points and get some rogue hirelings.

Seriously, I know she's really from Seattle, Washington and all, but I envision the original Mississippi Queen as looking like Ann Wilson from Heart back in the 70s.