Community Member

Default Shadow Tanking ToD

Hi folks,

I have a first life, 32pt human PM at cap with roughly 650ish HP that is going to need to fill the Shadow Tank role for Part 2 of ToD and I want to make sure since I've never done it that I have my ducks in a row. The toon has Superior Cold Resistance, a tier 3 Cold Absorb Greensteel Stick to this I add Fireshield Hot naturally. I figure I will use both aura's, Neg Energy Burst for Heals and stand stock still since I understand that the shadows cold attacks stack like Firewall does so I will only have to take a single tic no matter how many of them are on me.

What are the best spells to throw at the base of the altar and is there anything else I should know for this particular role? I planned either Acid Fog or Ice Storm but often I see Solid Fog or Firewall used. I don't usually carry Firewall since I have zero points in Fire in my enhancements so suggestions for what will work effectively are very welcome.

Thanks
    Founding Member and Current Leader of Sword And Siren on Cannith
    Main Toons: Cerafim | GrumpyKuss | Thextor | Khrysti | RocHound | Artychoke | Buggzapper

Veni, Vidi, Velcro: I came, I saw, I got stuck

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingGrump View Post
    What are the best spells to throw at the base of the altar and is there anything else I should know for this particular role? I planned either Acid Fog or Ice Storm but often I see Solid Fog or Firewall used. I don't usually carry Firewall since I have zero points in Fire in my enhancements so suggestions for what will work effectively are very welcome.
    I've not personally done it, but almost all the arcanes I've seen do it use firewall - I think the point is simply getting their aggro, not actually trying to kill them. As long as nobody else messes with them, that's probably your best spell to use, even if it's not one of your main lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

reflex and your element guards and then just run around away from everyone. Which now unless those people on the big guy really REALLY suck, he's gonna be dead in moments outside of elite.

But id assume everyone has dr breakers and theirs at least one dude rockn fotw ready to open up some whoopass.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

I was under the impression rather than kiting around like a headless chicken the better way is to stand in one spot and not move. By doing this only 1 tic of the cold can get you as the rest will not stack together similar to the mechanic if there are multiple firewalls on one spot. Just self heal yourself through it was what I was told but in truth I haven't tried doing it yet so I'm asking just to make sure.

I usually run ToD on a light monk but for some upcoming guild runs I may be the one doing Shadows since I have the cold absorb stick already made.
    Founding Member and Current Leader of Sword And Siren on Cannith
    Main Toons: Cerafim | GrumpyKuss | Thextor | Khrysti | RocHound | Artychoke | Buggzapper

Veni, Vidi, Velcro: I came, I saw, I got stuck

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Kiting is IMO harder, because standing in aura you get damage once per 4 or 6 seconds.
    Its really not that hard, just go and try it.
    After 2-3 runs, you will tank while sleeping with no chance to fail.
    After 5-10 runs, you will be throwing dots at boss while doing it.
    After 40-60 runs, you will not be running tod, because ring you're after doesn't seem to exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Your gear is more then enough for the "job". Use disco and some other fog on the stairs. I used cloudkill+disco with my caster, and 2 solid fog clicky with my barb.
    They last long, and you will not need to refresh too often.

I have tanked the shadows many times on my caster, and quite some times on my barbarian, but i do just a little bit differently then others.

Most shadow tanks put down a few aoe to the stairs, and tank far away from it.
    If the dps isnt high, you will have a lot of shadows on you, and it will be hard to refresh your aoes on the stairs, because you just cant or hardly can target it. And this is the reason why shadows go up for the party. (Which btw shoudnt be a problem to heal these days, coz they just dont do too much damage compared to our max hp, also they can be killed in seconds.)

What i do differently may scares the party. I put the aoes on the two sides of the stairs, while tanking on the bottom of the it. They might be really close to the party, but they never go for them, unless i fell asleep or someone attack them with higher damage then i do. Even if i have 10+ shadows on me, i can refresh the aoes.
    If i remember right, you just have to target yourself, look down, and cast. You may have to move a bit, but it isnt a problem if you move slowly, so their auras edge will not hit you for extra damage.

Once you become confident with tanking, you can start dotting the boss as well.
    Cannith
    Csodaszarvas
    Valyria - Hulkie - Sillymilly - Killberry - Silvyanna - Walour - Corgak - Thalrian-1

2014 DDO Players Council

What you've got is overkill. Nothing wrong with that.

I'd happily tank shadows on anyone with:

- some Cold mitigation (Resist 30 and UMD'ed Fireshield scrolls is enough; triple-absorb Greensteel is just icing)
    - a way to grab aggro (Solid Fog clicky can work; arcanes have many more options as well)
    - decent self-healing

I was looking forward to doing it on my Ranger life, but I ended up TRing before I got flagged.

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingGrump View Post
    I was under the impression rather than kiting around like a headless chicken the better way is to stand in one spot and not move.
    Having healed many ToDs, I can tell you that tanking is the method I personally prefer the person assigned to Shadow duty to use

Much easier to toss a Harm or Heal now and then if they're on the stairs than it is to try and heal them when they're kiting and inevitably get hit when they're on the far side of the room.
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

When i ST i pretty much do this.

After buffs etc, run forward and drop a Firewall on about the second step. I then cast acid fog and Cloudkill just behind it. i then drop a FW to the left and right of the stairs.

This should grab agro from any shadow coming in, as they would have to pass through a FW, then both clouds and another FW before they get to the group.

The first wave should disappear before the clouds run out (possibly have to refresh the FW on the stairs).

When the shadows 'take a break' refresh everything (fireshield, FW's on staiirs and to either side, fresh clouds, pop your bauble if needed etc)

In the second phase, stand still with aura running etc, when you see a FW run out, hit neg energy burst to get full health, then move forward, cast FW then move back. This is when you will take most damage, but not enough to put you in serious trouble. then repeat the procedure to drop FW's to the left and right of the stairs.

On normal/hard. it should be over fairly quickly, if on elite however, if your DPS is a bit low, you can get a hell of a lot of shadows, which makes visibility really bad. you have to rely mainly on 'clouds' to hold agro, as moving with a lot of shadows can cause a lot of damage, and targeting to cast FW becomes pretty hard.

Good luck, the first time can be hard on the heart, and if all goes pear shape remember...

It's the Clerics fault
    'Live Long, Play Longer'

Quote Originally Posted by holfrar View Post
    It's the Clerics fault
    I should make that my sig, since for some reason I hear it in almost every raid I run...

Quote Originally Posted by PNellesen View Post
    I should make that my sig, since for some reason I hear it in almost every raid I run...
    I will stop blaming you.

Also, shadow tanking is so easy a divine can do it.
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

Use an AOE spell that has no reflex save to grab the shadow aggro, after that shadow tanking is easy.

I typically throw a cloudkill around the middle of the stairs and a firewall at the base. Most of the time the firewall gets them but if they save the cloudkill gets them for sure. After the shadows disappear the first time I do the same. Never an issue.

Myself and others have tanked the shadows with a lot less gear than you have. You'll find it rather easy.

Default Nythirios is fire immune

which is a nice tidbit that I think people may not have mentioned.

Since he's a pit fiend, it's unlikely you will get his aggro by casting tons of fire spells (incendiary cloud is my favorite) on the stairs--you will only anger the shadows, which is your task.

I see lots of pale masters use ice storm which I generally think is a bad idea because you do want to aggro the shadows, and they certainly shrug off the cold portion of the ice storm if not the bludgeoning.

Since you're a wizard, I would advocate just swapping in incendiary cloud and delayed blast fireball so you can really make sure that you're generated enough hate. I've seen plenty of people lose aggro on the shadows on elite simply because they thought that acid and cold AoEs would be enough.

Another good option is Glitterdust+Incendiary cloud, as they have large AoEs and again will not damage the boss or get his attention.
    Character Compendium

Community Member

You have more than enough gear, I tanked with much less back before the level cap was raised.

Try to use spells that have a no save effect, like solid fog. If the shadow makes the reflex save on wall of fire they will sometimes make it up to the party, where a cleaning barbarian will make it hard to pull aggro back. Incendiary cloud works very well as well.

I personally preferred to stay on non undead form and drink silver flame pots, just so a healer can throw a spot heal to help out if needed. The healer doesn't have a particularly tough job in this fight.

Just be careful around the stairs, sometimes they mess up targeting. Target focus yourself and try to point the camera right at the base and you should be alright.
    The Silver Legion - Guild Medieval
    Arisan - Arisanna - Arisanto - Arisgard - Betatest
    Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    What you've got is overkill. Nothing wrong with that.

I'd happily tank shadows on anyone with:

- some Cold mitigation (Resist 30 and UMD'ed Fireshield scrolls is enough; triple-absorb Greensteel is just icing)
    - a way to grab aggro (Solid Fog clicky can work; arcanes have many more options as well)
    - decent self-healing

I was looking forward to doing it on my Ranger life, but I ended up TRing before I got flagged.
    This. If you can cast fire shield (just 20ish UMD) and have some decent self-healing option (even if it's just silver flame pots) you're good to go - basically any toon can do this.
    For aggro on non-casters I use solid fog clickies + ice storm wands + swinging my weapon

I guess the biggest mistake most people do is moving or even worse - jumping. Don't do this at all when tanking.
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos