Community Member RavenStormclaw's Avatar

Default The Favored Slayer: A melee favored soul

I like self sufficiency, I like casters, I like smacking things around with a sword, and I like to be useful when grouped or solo when I feel like it. I also like the spell points of a FvS plus the buffs you can get. This build aims to be able to heal when I have to, one caveat I am not aiming for raid healing, and kill with sword or spell as need be. In order to accomplish this I made a few sacrifices. Namely any kind of insta- kill spells as the DC just won't be their. Instead I aimed for the light based nuking spells and blade barrier kiting. I also chose to give up level 9 spells, hence no raid healing. So I present:

Sarphina a female half-Orc FvS 17/ Monk 1/ Fighter 2
    Hp at 20: 306
    Spell points at 20: 1552

36 pt build (ending stats)
    str 18 all level ups here(28)
    Dex 14(16)
    con 14(14)
    Int 8(10)
    Wis 14(18)
    Chr 12(15)

Above stats include level ups, enhancements, and tomes only as I have a +2 supreme tome already so obviously will be higher

Leveling order 1 monk, then fighter at 4 and 12 and the rest FvS

Feats: order not listed I dived into general, divine, and melee
    Divine--
    Empower healing spell
    Maximize
    Extend
    Quicken

Melee--
    Cleave
    Great cleave
    THF
    IC: slash
    PA

General--
    Toughness
    Favored of the silver flame
    FvS energy resistance times 3

Enhancements final tier listed
    Angel of Vengence 2
    FvS charisma 1
    Energy of the scion 3
    Life magic 4
    Smithing 4
    Prayer of life and prayer of smiting 2
    FvS toughness 2
    Wisdom 2
    Fighter str 1
    Orcish str 2
    Orcish great weapon aptitude 2
    Racial toughness 2

Comments welcome...for the record I probably won't be doing many epic elites so consider this mainly an epic hard build.
    Last edited by RavenStormclaw; 03-27-2013 at 07:25 AM.

I would make these adjustments:
    Drop Extend, take IC: slash; epic feats: OC and gTHF.
    Thelanis: Nassim* (F12/P6/M2) - Talienor** (P18/Ra2) - Feithlin** (F12/Bd7/C1) - Stoneoak* (F12/M6/P2) - Hokusai (M17/F2/C1) - Ardence* (Bd15/F3/Ro2) - Matsushiro* (Ro11/M6/P3) | Argonessen: Luneargent (W18/Ro2) - Talienor (Ro20) - Takshir (Bd16/F2/Ro2) - Hiacynthe (C20) | Ghallanda: A bunch of pre DDO Unlimited characters (field of testing for post U19 )

Community Member

Maybe you should consider a slightly different class split:

A) IF you decide to drop level 9 spells, then either go 2 monk /1 fighter (still nets you 3 feats AND evasion. A FvS can reach high saves) or go 2 Paladin / 1 fighter (drop extend and one THF feat or both THF feats) for super high EE saves.

B) Maybe it would be better to drop 1 level of monk/fighter (go FvS 18 / Mnk2 or Ftr2) and retain level 9 spells

Check out this thread: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=392008

Also, your stat array seems a bit too spread out. WIS is not needed at all (your DCs will sucj for serious content anyway) and if you dont include Paladin levels, then CHA could be set at, say, 8 base (+2 tome +7 item +2 ins +1 enh = 20 enough for any spell). Pump up CON a bit more.

Regarding feats, you should definitely include Cleave, Great Cleave, OC chain and spam cleaves with momentum swing. Extend is not really needed.

EDIT: Of course IC: Slash is absolutely essential for any half-decent melee build!
    Ghallanda Server - Razaghan [Melee FvS 12 / Ranger 6 / Mnk 2] - Ignicia [Sorc 18 / Pal 2]

If i were you and i was determined to have those feats, i had gone human and skipped monk lvl.
    If you just drain bad mobs as lvl 9 spell you make a huge dps increase that all those (awesome orc things) will have a hard time keep up with. Remember human get damage boosts also.

And if you some day want to raid heal you can just swap lvl 9 spell for a few weeks if desired.

Edited op to add IC: slash...that was a doh moment. I chose to keep extend and sacrifice improved two handed fighting as current debates seem to favor cleave line over two handed fighting line and I really want extend to maximize divine power.

Quote Originally Posted by Kza View Post
    If i were you and i was determined to have those feats, i had gone human and skipped monk lvl.
    If you just drain bad mobs as lvl 9 spell you make a huge dps increase that all those (awesome orc things) will have a hard time keep up with. Remember human get damage boosts also.

And if you some day want to raid heal you can just swap lvl 9 spell for a few weeks if desired.
    Half Orc is a must...the great weapon aptitude feats are useful in this build to add to dps. The monk level is useful for the stances. Probably wont use them all the time could be situationally useful. I considered 2 monk but realized I wanted heavy armor and PRR over evasion. I have considered dropping 1 fighter level and giving up THF since I do have GWA from orcish enhancements. That would give me the ability to get to 18 FvS and take enervation.

Community Member

First off, lvl 9 mass heal isn't required to heal in raids.

Secondly, you may not think you want evasion now but theres 0 reason to not go 2 monk/1ftr instead of 2 ftr/1monk. +1 str and +10 hp over evasion? Whats preventing you from having a set of light armor to swap to when situation dictates evasion over prr. Your prr with thf isnt going to be that hot anyway, you do realize the difference in mitigation from light>heavy armor is only around 5% more. Fvs/monk builds have near the best saves in the game.

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default fvs

If you really want it all, why not go human and 18fvs/2ftr? You can go heavy armor and maximize your DPS.

For feats: Toughness, THFx3, IC; Slash, Power Attack, Quicken, Emp Healing, Maximize, Cleave, Great Cleave, Overwhelming Crit.

You have all the melee THF could wish for and the feats for healing and kiting through blade barriers.

Ugh. Now I'm curious which gives more glancing blows? THF X3 or THF plus Horc enhancements?

Ps: Extend really only helps with your buffs ultimately, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

EDIT: THF X3 adds 30% glancing blows and 9% to proc weapon effect damage. Orcish enhancements add 6% to proc weapon effect, but have no benifit to glancing blows. Orcish melee enhancements can net an additional 5 points of damage if you Max orcish power attack and orcish damage. I'm not sure those are worth it though. Ultimately you have choose, to add +5 or 30% to damage? I think human clearly is the better choice here. Sometimes Otimal is not always the best build, and we want a flavor build.
    Last edited by Battlehawke; 03-27-2013 at 09:18 AM.
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Quote Originally Posted by Battlehawke View Post
    If you really want it all, why not go human and 18fvs/2ftr? You can go heavy armor and maximize your DPS.

For feats: Toughness, THFx3, IC; Slash, Power Attack, Quicken, Emp Healing, Maximize, Cleave, Great Cleave, Overwhelming Crit.

You have all the melee THF could wish for and the feats for healing and kiting through blade barriers.

Ugh. Now I'm curious which gives more glancing blows? THF X3 or THF plus Horc enhancements?

Ps: Extend really only helps with your buffs ultimately, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

EDIT: THF X3 adds 30% glancing blows and 9% to proc weapon effect damage. Orcish enhancements add 6% to proc weapon effect, but have no benifit to glancing blows. Orcish melee enhancements can net an additional 5 points of damage if you Max orcish power attack and orcish damage. I'm not sure those are worth it though. Ultimately you have choose, to add +5 or 30% to damage? I think human clearly is the better choice here. Sometimes Otimal is not always the best build, and we want a flavor build.
    Bah now you are making me rethink this...i will have to number crunch some more

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default fvs

RavenStormclaw

Bah now you are making me rethink this...i will have to number crunch some more
    hehe..sorry. I have had this debate in my head for a while. TR'ing my FVS again soon. I loved my Lord of Blades build before the WF nerf, but it's just not as good now........ so human or Horc.....I think Human.
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

I really like the FVS Capstone...

I almost suggest going Human and using your bonus feat at level one on...

GreatAxe (Maelstrom and Carnifex)

Swap to GreatSword at 10 (SoS)

Swap to (iono) for your Greensteel Item

Swap it to (iono) GAXE if you have AGA or GSW if you have ESoS

Or if capstone does not entice you...

I would say 18FVS/2FTR and just got Cleave line.
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Bacab View Post
    I really like the FVS Capstone...

I almost suggest going Human and using your bonus feat at level one on...

GreatAxe (Maelstrom and Carnifex)

Swap to GreatSword at 10 (SoS)

Swap to (iono) for your Greensteel Item

Swap it to (iono) GAXE if you have AGA or GSW if you have ESoS

Or if capstone does not entice you...

I would say 18FVS/2FTR and just got Cleave line.
    I'd say, if half-orc, go 18 FvS/2 Ftr (Ftr at level 1 and level 20). You can get up to ITHF and OC pretty easily that way, but you have to realize most metamagics and all are useless to you, including extend.

Feats would look something like:
    Level 1: Toughness, Power Attack
    Level 3: Empower Healing (more important on a horc FvS due to less healing amp)
    Level 6: Maximize
    Level 9: Quicken
    Level 12: IC: Slashing
    Level 15: Cleave
    Level 18: Great Cleave
    Level 20: THF
    Level 21: Overwhelming Critical
    Level 24: ITHF
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk