Community Member

Default How to Migrate Windows to SSD?

http://www.paragon-software.com/tech...ate-OS-to-SSD/

http://m.lifehacker.com/5837543/how-...alling-windows

Dont have windows disks with machine.

Thinking of using Paragon software to move my stuff from a bigger hdd to a smaller ssd. Image opy has to be the same size or bigger unfortunately.

Any use this Paragon software?
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

Community Member

I don't think any imaging software will be of much use unless you shrink the Windows partition on your hard disk to at most the size of your ssd first - and this will most likely be a problem since Windows likes to store unmovable system files right in the middle of its partition. So unless your ssd is something like 60% the size of your Windows partition I think simply installing Windows from scratch on the sdd is the safer and maybe even faster option.

Tols.

From someone who owns a pc store, it's a bad idea mate :/

The better option is to download a copy of windows and use the activation code that came with your pc, unless of course you are running Windows 8, than it's a different story.
    The Arms Of Orien
    Dokalfar - Jhanjra - Khlaryssa - XiaNYdE - Tammin Burfoot
    In a way, we are magicians. We are alchemists, sorcerers and wizards. We are a very strange bunch. But there is great fun in being a wizard. -Billy Joel

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by XiaNYdE View Post
    From someone who owns a pc store, it's a bad idea mate :/

The better option is to download a copy of windows and use the activation code that came with your pc, unless of course you are running Windows 8, than it's a different story.

How much to dwonload windows 7?

Good reviews from Paragon software.
    Your lack of healing amp not my problem. Please buy and use your own remove curse pots in combat, so I don't waste mana. Not my job.

Quote Originally Posted by firemedium_jt View Post
    How much to dwonload windows 7?

Good reviews from Paragon software.

You can download the image you need here mate http://www.w7forums.com/official-win...ds-t12325.html then just use your existing activation code.
    The Arms Of Orien
    In a way, we are magicians. We are alchemists, sorcerers and wizards. We are a very strange bunch. But there is great fun in being a wizard. -Billy Joel

Paragon software works, I've done it since I didn't want to reinstall all my stuff, but it costs money. There's no free option that works 100% that I know of.

Community Member

Yeah the word image is not a good description for migration to an SSD because of alignment.

I am downloading those ISO WIN7.

I brought 3 SSDs. One is the Desktop, and the refurbisher sent me a WIN7 PRof disk. It runs great, so I bought 2 more drives. The other is my laptop with WIN7 Home, and my kids laptop is WIN8.

I got a 256gb SSD for the WIN7 home laptop and shrunk the partition to 230gb. Thinking of doing a system image to migrate over, but the problem is SSD alignment.

Any ISO for WIN8 for the other laptop or other solutions for a clean install?

I bought 3 Samsungs. 2 model 830 128gb and a 840 model drive kit 250 gb. The 250 gb kit came with everything to migrate your HDD to a SSD. USB adapter and special software because more importantly it takes a special software to clone a HDD with Windows to a smaller SSD including aligning the SSD. Magic Software smartly allows you to turn off Defrag and indexing that can harm or reduce drive life. I bought a OCZ and returned it. Had no migration or maintenance hardware/software. Migration software and usb device can be $20 each. This includes both. Migration was under 2 hours. Great kit.

I live in Florida, so if I buy from Tigerdirect I pay sales tax. Globalcomputer is a mirror site in Atlanta, GA that saves sales tax for Florida residents, but shipping is slightly more.
    http://www.globalcomputer.com/applic...?EdpNo=5247111
    http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/m...ge/MZ-7TD250KW

The migration software is downloadable from Samsung website. It might work on other SSDs?????????
    It you do it let me know because this is a free solution for all then.

All the Samsung SSDs are up and running great.
    Last edited by firemedium_jt; 03-27-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    Paragon software works, I've done it since I didn't want to reinstall all my stuff, but it costs money. There's no free option that works 100% that I know of.
    If it was HDD to HDD i would say go for it Paragon does it and does it well, however SSD is a different beast that requires specific alignment criteria, on a clean install this will take care of itself, ghosting though can become a nightmare, even paragon themselves have articles on it here http://www.paragon-software.com/tech...ate-OS-to-SSD/ things like ddefrag etc may not be switched of as windows will still think its running on a HDD and not SSD and defragging an SSD=Death :/
    The Arms Of Orien