Community Member

Default aa monk build request

hi, im looking for some build for an arcane archer monk (5e life 2xarti,2xrngr)

id like him to be able to burst some dmg and be self sufident (self healign)
    i have al races and classes eccept horc
    -some gameplay advice wold be handy 2
    tnxs

upper right

search (that little arrow beside it means -drop-down-)

look for HongKong Pewey

or... search alternate builds author: WoWo...

while you're there, be sure to read all the juicy response stuffz in real time.
    ...u can almost hear their little lemming teeth bite right into it.

>nom nom num<

Look either for the Sithali, or for wax_on_wax_off's monkcher thread.
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

1. Your race is half-elf, because you want full arcane archer without full ranger levels.

2a. Your choices for self-healing are UMD or ranger spells. If the latter, which I strongly recommend, you want at least 14 ranger levels for CSW.
    2b. You need 6 monk levels for 10k stars.
    2c. Hence: 14/6 ranger monk.

Everything else follows pretty easily from this. Maximize, the various ranged feats, Stunning Fist are all pretty clear musts feat-wise. (You have inherent ITWF, GTWF is an interestingly iffy choice.) Enhancements: AA, Human Versatility, Improved Recoveries, some Devotion. Ranger heavy builds always have plenty of AP, don't stress about it.

Playstyle is: 10k stars, Manyshot, 10 seconds of melee or single ranged (switching eats up so much time that you might be better off or at least saner with single ranged here), 10k stars, 30 seconds of melee to build up ki and not do terrible DPS; sprinkle in stuns as ki and desire allow. Like all deep splashes you don't get near to full power until very late in your character's life. Leveling it I found that fighting unarmed as a support melee with stuns was where I was most productive, then at level 17 (11 ranger / 6 monk) the ranged aspect kicked in.

Community Member

cant find those kawai, kinerd : your's looks nice, but i kindof wanted to aim for the monk past lifes while doing this build, and does the death touch and force strike ect work w ranged?

Community Member

What you're looking for is something I wanted to try with my build, which is 11 ranger 7 monk and 2 fighter. It is a variant of the moncher with a spin. It has decent healing capabilities and you can always twist in cacoon which is almost a must! Just take a look it might be what you're looking for!

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=412734

Community Member

Here's wax_on's monkcher thread http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=351118. The first build listed there, which is 12m/6ranger/2artificer or 2 fighter, commonly known as Hong Kong Pewy, is your best bet if you want a monk past life. I agree that 14ranger/6monk builds are better for self-healing, but if you are determined to acquire a monk past life what you can do is take the cleric dilly feat on a half-elf Hong Kong Pewy rather than the typical rogue dilly. This will give you access to cure critical wands (via guild vendor) and healing scrolls. The problem, of course, is that you have to swap to and from weapons with wands and scrolls whereas with the 14 ranger option you can just cast a spell.

For a split second I considered going light monk on a Hong Kong Pewy for some ki-based healing, but you will eventually want to apply all your ki toward 10k stars and shadow-fade, so that would not work optimally in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadmaster1993 View Post
    cant find those kawai, kinerd : your's looks nice, but i kindof wanted to aim for the monk past lifes while doing this build,
    That does complicate things. My advice is to follow savingsoul's advice.
    and does the death touch and force strike ect work w ranged?
    Touch of Death definitely does not. I have not tried the various elemental strikes either way, so do not know.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by savingsoul View Post
    Here's wax_on's monkcher thread http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=351118. The first build listed there, which is 12m/6ranger/2artificer or 2 fighter, commonly known as Hong Kong Pewy, is your best bet if you want a monk past life. I agree that 14ranger/6monk builds are better for self-healing, but if you are determined to acquire a monk past life what you can do is take the cleric dilly feat on a half-elf Hong Kong Pewy rather than the typical rogue dilly. This will give you access to cure critical wands (via guild vendor) and healing scrolls. The problem, of course, is that you have to swap to and from weapons with wands and scrolls whereas with the 14 ranger option you can just cast a spell.

For a split second I considered going light monk on a Hong Kong Pewy for some ki-based healing, but you will eventually want to apply all your ki toward 10k stars and shadow-fade, so that would not work optimally in the long run.
    ty, this looks very mutch as what i was looking for,