Default Is Vorpal Strikes worth it?

I'm getting close to that glorious moment when my banked XP forces me to level up to 21st level because I'll be jammed up against 22nd level. That means my first epic feat and I'm looking at Vorpal strikes and wondering if its really worth it. Actually, I've pretty well settled on improved martial arts first, but even so, that leaves VS or possibly the siren call of Epic Toughness to fill the level 24 slot. A real Vorpal weapon increases the [W] of the weapon by .5, does Vorpal Strikes?

It does not add a .5 die.

That said, it is still very good. Against most enemies, it is +5 damage per strike, or more if you also don't have manslayer.

It is more extra DPS than IMA, although some mobs aren't vulnerable to vorpal effects. But most important mobs, including I'm pretty sure all bosses, can be vorped.
    Cannith Server :Vice Sovereign of The Guild of Calamitous Intent

Kalener (Monk) Renelak (backup band) Raoull (Mr. McStabby) Kaleray (laser heals) Kalrah (xbow rogue)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilbar View Post
    I'm getting close to that glorious moment when my banked XP forces me to level up to 21st level because I'll be jammed up against 22nd level. That means my first epic feat and I'm looking at Vorpal strikes and wondering if its really worth it. Actually, I've pretty well settled on improved martial arts first, but even so, that leaves VS or possibly the siren call of Epic Toughness to fill the level 24 slot. A real Vorpal weapon increases the [W] of the weapon by .5, does Vorpal Strikes?
    It's worth it.

You'll gain greater die steps from Legendary Dreadnought and Grandmaster of Flowers abilities; better as you twist them.

At the speed that a Monk attacks, a simple vorpal is more probable and adds one additional way to quickly remove a mob from the scene. Vorpal Strikes also adds Slashing damage to your attacks, making the takedown of bludgeon resistance foes like zombies much easier.

Do note: Only natural and tome-based numbers in WIS count to the prerequisite of this feat. Monk Wisdom and related enhancements and ED abilities (and of course items) do NOT count to your minimum 23 WIS for VS.
    Last edited by Spencerian; 03-25-2013 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Important note added
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more

Yes it worth it, the extra damage is nice. Also nude chance to kill something of course always nice.
    I feel at home in the darkness, when its just me and my blades...when the hunter takes over!

Vorpal Strikes is absolutely worth it. And since IMA is just around the corner, you get to have both.

That said, it is kinda weird how VS works, at least from my experience. Sometimes you get stun, swing, dead - vorpal kills the mob before you know it. More often than not though, the vorpal hit goes off when the mob is stunned and at just a sliver of health left.

Still, a very nice feat to have. I'd take it before IMA, but it won't kill you to take it at 24 instead.

Community Member

Even if you took away the extra dps and insta kills from the Vorp hits, it adds slashing typed damage to all your attacks in addition to bludgeon, making all those annoying zombies with their bludgeon dr a non issue.

Of course it's not a must have, but a better choice than Epic Tough for a monk by far (IMO).

I've never played a monk, but I do have a little insight on the vorpal thing.

Vorpal strikes are ONLY worth it if the toon you're using them on is TWF or equivalent. If the effect is equivalent to a THF or a S&B type melee, move on. It doesn't proc enough to make a difference, and the damage dealt in upper levels is almost inconsequential.

However, TWF types you get the extra procs, which means extra damage, and that adds up.

Again, not sure how this applies to a monk. My rogue gets a vorpal strike ability, and it rocks with other effect-based weapons...mainly because he is a TWF toon.

On my THF fighter, I just mothballed my vorpal weapon. It's frickin' next to useless.

So, take that for what it is. And if the advice is useless, well, then it's useless...
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

Quote Originally Posted by squishwizzy View Post
    I've never played a monk, but I do have a little insight on the vorpal thing.

Vorpal strikes are ONLY worth it if the toon you're using them on is TWF or equivalent. If the effect is equivalent to a THF or a S&B type melee, move on. It doesn't proc enough to make a difference, and the damage dealt in upper levels is almost inconsequential.

However, TWF types you get the extra procs, which means extra damage, and that adds up.

Again, not sure how this applies to a monk. My rogue gets a vorpal strike ability, and it rocks with other effect-based weapons...mainly because he is a TWF toon.

On my THF fighter, I just mothballed my vorpal weapon. It's frickin' next to useless.

So, take that for what it is. And if the advice is useless, well, then it's useless...
    Vorpal strikes is for unarmed.

Quote Originally Posted by twigzz View Post
    Vorpal strikes is for unarmed.
    I know.

The point was, is the *mechanic* like TWF where the chance for vorpal is doubled when compared to something like THF?
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

It's worth it, just don't forget to turn it off before you start fighting oozes
    I may be dumb...
    @Thelanis: Guslar/Machkica/Cvr/Weadar

I know.

The point was, is the *mechanic* like TWF where the chance for vorpal is doubled when compared to something like THF?
    As many Monks aim for Two Weapon Fighting feats as a common build tactic, Vorpal Strikes reacts in kind, where the effect works on off-hand attacks.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more

Toughness, gtwf, PA, improved sunder, improved crit, path prerequisite. EDIT : and SF of course duh

There's nothing stopping you from taking both Vorpal and IMA.
    Last edited by Encair; 03-28-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Shahang (hjeal me), Wipekin (inquisitor), Nezhat (inquisitor) Ghallanda/Devourer

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

I know.

Even still, the rate of attack for a non TWF unarmed is faster than S/B or THF such that it is STILL worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Even still, the rate of attack for a non TWF unarmed is faster than S/B or THF such that it is STILL worth it.
    Then I'd agree.

That's actually what I was trying to drive at. It only makes sense if you get more hits than a THF or S&B (unless they make a Vorpal shield that I don't know about).

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Then I'd agree.

That's actually what I was trying to drive at. It only makes sense if you get more hits than a THF or S&B (unless they make a Vorpal shield that I don't know about).
    Given that shields are blunt or blunt and piercing so far, no vorpal shields.

It would be the perfect thing to serve vorpal cupcakes/bunnies on though.

Get both have em on my monk