Community Member

Default Stunning horc monk in need of some TLC

Hi all,

I have a STR based light shintao stun focused half orc wind monk (eegads it's a mouthful to describe a monk!). Before update 14 he happily sailed to lvl20 and all was good. He even helped duo a few of the easier old epics and while his stun DC wasn't solid it did proc a good portion of the time and he was quite survivable. Now we have the AC and PRR change he's become a squishy liability and I've focused on my other characters.

I think there is a bit of tweaking I can do build wise, and a LOT of tweaking I can do gear wise. I'd like some help in planning my next move as monks are one hella complex class to plan out.

Aim
    This monk does not have to be viable in epic elites. So that should make the planning a lot easier. I'd like to stick with the stunning, shintao and half orc. I'm thinking I need to find enough healing amp to get my curse up to 2-4 hp/hit and find some vampirism wraps for another 2hp/hit to get his survivability up. Not sure on stance, I've enjoyed wind but being a horc it looks like fire+jidz+purple dragon gloves is the fastest way to the magical 200% healing amp. Or I can swap jidz for some 20% Convalescent lootgen bracers and just scrape past the 200 mark. So stance and route to healing amp is up for debate, maybe earth would be better for when I'm being hammered?

Anyway, I'd like a monk that can run about epic/norm and epic/hard stunning things and generally not being a mana sponge. I'm also thinking of TRing him to another horc partly for the extra stat points and dmg and partly to have a lowbie to play with my friends who are new to the game. So, onto my wreak of a monk!

Feats
    1 stunning blow
    1 twf
    2 stunning fist
    3 precision
    6 pa
    6 toughness
    9 imp twf
    12 imp crit
    15 gtwf
    18 wep focus

I'm thinking to swap precision for cleave and swap wep focus for greater cleave to pave the way for overwhelming crit.

Stats Note, these are with no buffs or stances active
    str 16 +5 level +2 horc +7 item = 30
    dex 16 +2 tome +6 item = 24
    con 14 +6 item = 20
    int 6
    wis 16 +2 tome +3 monk +2 cap stone +6 item = 29
    cha 6 +2 tome +6 item = 14

My guild has a lvl66 ship so I can add all the normal ship buffs on top.

Thinking I should drop dex to 15, boost con to 15, add +3 tomes to unlock both grand masteries. Fix the missing tome issues on the other stats. Take str to 17 if I TR. Or would putting the level ups into wis be better? I get kinda funny with the idea of a melee that doesn't boost str as they level, have too many regular melees so it just doesn't feel right. Does pumping wis really work on a monk?

Enhancements
    cap stone
    horc 2
    tortoise 4
    monk imp recovery 3
    shintao 3
    void 1
    gm storms
    horc toughness 2
    imp balance 1
    imp concentration 2
    monk wis 3
    phoenix

Can drop some tortoise to get GM earth. Hmm, imp balance seems to be needed as a lvl1 filler along with imp concentration. I'm quite fond of phoenix, I often have the knack of being the last man standing and being able to pop a raise on a healer/UMDer has been a real boon.

Current Gear Brace your selves, this bit gets painful. My poor, neglected monk... I blame turbine for making the run to lvl20 so easy!
    cove concentration +15, potency 20 cap
    alchemists pendant +6 con, +1ki/hit, 20hp
    greater bold trinket
    +6 cha cloak
    +6 con belt (redundant)
    +6 dex ring
    +6 wis ring
    tier 2 epic brawling gloves +7 str or spectral gloves
    30% striding boots
    fabricators bracers or jidz-tet'ka
    garments of equilibrium heavy fort, reinforced fists
    korthos goggles of insight

+1 holy, festival burst wraps of +10 stunning
    lvl20 wraps of endless night

Defensive Stats (hehe, that's a funny use of the word )
    41 ac
    6% dodge
    0 PRR
    372 hp
    30% monk + 10% ship healing amp (+25% jidz)

The Future?
    I'm looking for the low hanging fruit initially. Regular quest grinding to get him to a half decent state before I look at the raids. First up is the Purple Dragon gloves for the 30% amp. Sun soil set seems to be a nice aim, though it means I can't get set of Convalescent bracers to hit the magic 200% mark.

Lenses of the Woodman or those Drow Smoke goggles would drop in nicely. Maybe the Woodsman boots too for the extra dex

Grave Wrappings look like a nice set of plain DPS wraps for when I can't stun.

I am quite hooked on my +10 stunners for general trash beating, though they are clearly in need of a lvl20+ upgrade. I don't suppose there are any +10 stunners with vampirism too? If not should I aim straight for the ivy wraps for hjeeling mode?

Is it worth finding somewhere to slot devotion for my hjeel finisher?

Arrgh! So many choices when it comes to gear! Hehe, this is a good portion of what's wrong with my monk and some advice on what to aim for first would be most appreciated!
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperAlexEU View Post
    Hi all,

I have a STR based light shintao stun focused half orc wind monk (eegads it's a mouthful to describe a monk!). Before update 14 he happily sailed to lvl20 and all was good. He even helped duo a few of the easier old epics and while his stun DC wasn't solid it did proc a good portion of the time and he was quite survivable. Now we have the AC and PRR change he's become a squishy liability and I've focused on my other characters.

I think there is a bit of tweaking I can do build wise, and a LOT of tweaking I can do gear wise. I'd like some help in planning my next move as monks are one hella complex class to plan out.

Aim
    This monk does not have to be viable in epic elites. So that should make the planning a lot easier. I'd like to stick with the stunning, shintao and half orc. I'm thinking I need to find enough healing amp to get my curse up to 2-4 hp/hit and find some vampirism wraps for another 2hp/hit to get his survivability up. Not sure on stance, I've enjoyed wind but being a horc it looks like fire+jidz+purple dragon gloves is the fastest way to the magical 200% healing amp. Or I can swap jidz for some 20% Convalescent lootgen bracers and just scrape past the 200 mark. So stance and route to healing amp is up for debate, maybe earth would be better for when I'm being hammered?

Anyway, I'd like a monk that can run about epic/norm and epic/hard stunning things and generally not being a mana sponge. I'm also thinking of TRing him to another horc partly for the extra stat points and dmg and partly to have a lowbie to play with my friends who are new to the game. So, onto my wreak of a monk!

Feats
    1 stunning blow
    1 twf
    2 stunning fist
    3 precision
    6 pa
    6 toughness
    9 imp twf
    12 imp crit
    15 gtwf
    18 wep focus

I'm thinking to swap precision for cleave and swap wep focus for greater cleave to pave the way for overwhelming crit.

Stats Note, these are with no buffs or stances active
    str 16 +5 level +2 horc +7 item = 30
    dex 16 +2 tome +6 item = 24
    con 14 +6 item = 20
    int 6
    wis 16 +2 tome +3 monk +2 cap stone +6 item = 29
    cha 6 +2 tome +6 item = 14

My guild has a lvl66 ship so I can add all the normal ship buffs on top.

Thinking I should drop dex to 15, boost con to 15, add +3 tomes to unlock both grand masteries. Fix the missing tome issues on the other stats. Take str to 17 if I TR. Or would putting the level ups into wis be better? I get kinda funny with the idea of a melee that doesn't boost str as they level, have too many regular melees so it just doesn't feel right. Does pumping wis really work on a monk?

Enhancements
    cap stone
    horc 2
    tortoise 4
    monk imp recovery 3
    shintao 3
    void 1
    gm storms
    horc toughness 2
    imp balance 1
    imp concentration 2
    monk wis 3
    phoenix

Can drop some tortoise to get GM earth. Hmm, imp balance seems to be needed as a lvl1 filler along with imp concentration. I'm quite fond of phoenix, I often have the knack of being the last man standing and being able to pop a raise on a healer/UMDer has been a real boon.

Current Gear Brace your selves, this bit gets painful. My poor, neglected monk... I blame turbine for making the run to lvl20 so easy!
    cove concentration +15, potency 20 cap
    alchemists pendant +6 con, +1ki/hit, 20hp
    greater bold trinket
    +6 cha cloak
    +6 con belt (redundant)
    +6 dex ring
    +6 wis ring
    tier 2 epic brawling gloves +7 str or spectral gloves
    30% striding boots
    fabricators bracers or jidz-tet'ka
    garments of equilibrium heavy fort, reinforced fists
    korthos goggles of insight

+1 holy, festival burst wraps of +10 stunning
    lvl20 wraps of endless night

Defensive Stats (hehe, that's a funny use of the word )
    41 ac
    6% dodge
    0 PRR
    372 hp
    30% monk + 10% ship healing amp (+25% jidz)

The Future?
    I'm looking for the low hanging fruit initially. Regular quest grinding to get him to a half decent state before I look at the raids. First up is the Purple Dragon gloves for the 30% amp. Sun soil set seems to be a nice aim, though it means I can't get set of Convalescent bracers to hit the magic 200% mark.

Lenses of the Woodman or those Drow Smoke goggles would drop in nicely. Maybe the Woodsman boots too for the extra dex

Grave Wrappings look like a nice set of plain DPS wraps for when I can't stun.

I am quite hooked on my +10 stunners for general trash beating, though they are clearly in need of a lvl20+ upgrade. I don't suppose there are any +10 stunners with vampirism too? If not should I aim straight for the ivy wraps for hjeeling mode?

Is it worth finding somewhere to slot devotion for my hjeel finisher?

Arrgh! So many choices when it comes to gear! Hehe, this is a good portion of what's wrong with my monk and some advice on what to aim for first would be most appreciated!
    Grave wrappings are your level 20 stunners.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

I have a STR based light shintao stun focused half orc wind monk (eegads it's a mouthful to describe a monk!).
    Much has been written about monks on the forums. One element running through those many posts is that a monk's stun ability relies on WIS.

With your decision to put stat increases into STR the only stun that is going to work consistently for you is Stunning Blow. The problem with that is Stunning Blow has a much longer cool down than Stunning Fist.

If you want your Stunning Fist to work you have to change your emphasis from STR to WIS.

That might not be worth the effort to you. But, you can do this by using a lesser reincarnation to change where your stat increases are. You could also change your enhancements to use water stance.

You can also upgrade your WIS items. You can easily gain the Way of the Sun Soul set in FR for +7 enchanted WIS and +2 insight bonus.

These two changes alone will increase your WIS by 7 points. It will have no impact on your AC (WIS v DEX it is all the same to a monk) and will increase your Stunning Fist DC by 4.

As already mentioned, Grave Wrappings are your handwraps of choice (although, random loot gen wraps with +10 stunning can be used as well).

As you build your epic destinies you can also pick abilities that affect things. Read the descriptions carefully to make sure they work with handwraps.

One light path stun ability that is often overlooked is Kukan-Do. Kukan-Do is a CHA based ability that works well on most non-caster mobs. These tend to have low Will saves so even modest CHA works against many mobs.

Community Member

Thanks both

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Grave wrappings are your level 20 stunners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    Much has been written about monks on the forums. One element running through those many posts is that a monk's stun ability relies on WIS.

With your decision to put stat increases into STR the only stun that is going to work consistently for you is Stunning Blow. The problem with that is Stunning Blow has a much longer cool down than Stunning Fist.

If you want your Stunning Fist to work you have to change your emphasis from STR to WIS.

That might not be worth the effort to you. But, you can do this by using a lesser reincarnation to change where your stat increases are. You could also change your enhancements to use water stance.

You can also upgrade your WIS items. You can easily gain the Way of the Sun Soul set in FR for +7 enchanted WIS and +2 insight bonus.

These two changes alone will increase your WIS by 7 points. It will have no impact on your AC (WIS v DEX it is all the same to a monk) and will increase your Stunning Fist DC by 4.

As already mentioned, Grave Wrappings are your handwraps of choice (although, random loot gen wraps with +10 stunning can be used as well).

As you build your epic destinies you can also pick abilities that affect things. Read the descriptions carefully to make sure they work with handwraps.

One light path stun ability that is often overlooked is Kukan-Do. Kukan-Do is a CHA based ability that works well on most non-caster mobs. These tend to have low Will saves so even modest CHA works against many mobs.
    ok, so grave wrappings and purple dragon gloves are up first then. way of the sun soul does look like a good set, but i'd have to break the set to get my healing amp up to 200% as i need a 20% amp item somewhere and initially that will be bracers. time to hit TOD i guess to get a ring i can slap at 20% on so i don't have to choose between the set or amp.

i have both stun feats, stunning blow is my freebie i'll open with on trash, stunning fist is fairly reliable and kukan-do is my most reliable and i'll use on oranges or other dangerous threats i want to stun first time. i had a ton of fun with that in the vale sniping the devils who'd then appear at my feet stunned and ready to pummel . i didn't expect it to have my highest DC considering my 6 cha, so that was a nice surprise!

so if i TR do you think 17/15/15/6/16/6 breakdown with +6 levelups in wis is the way to go for epic hards? i've seen it's a must have to focus on wis for epic elites, but that's not my end game of choice. if i did that i'd be able to get grand mastery in any element, though practically i'd only have enough points for 2. so should i drop wind and go earth for defence/dps and water for stun/saves?

what about my planned feat changes, do they look just about right? thinking stunning blow might have to go if i put levelups in wis, it's already my weakest stun and with a -2/3 on the DC it may no longer be worth a feat slot. would be nice to grab it for the early levels when ki is in short supply then fred it out for something else. no idea what though, any suggestions?

as for epic destinies, i'm not looking into twists at the moment, already have plans to take my paly and barbarian half way over the map for their twists so the monk will just have to wait once he has GMoF fleshed out. sense weakness will be the obvious end goal on a stun focused monk

there are just so many choices a monk can make, looking for a bit of guidance that i'm not running down the wrong path. i know being a horc isn't the best choice, human or helf seem to be the best just due to the healing amp enhancements. that aside it seems the horc should be quite viable, no penalties to the most important stats, the -1 DC to kukan-do is an obvious exception but it seems many monks dump cha anyway so there seems to be a bit of leeway on that one. the bonus to str is nice as monks have to spread them selves thin, and a horc monk is just funny, especially with a top hat.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

so if i TR do you think 17/15/15/6/16/6 breakdown with +6 levelups in wis is the way to go for epic hards? i've seen it's a must have to focus on wis for epic elites, but that's not my end game of choice.
    Again, I'm going to refer you to the many other posts in the forums on monk builds.

IMO, WIS focus is probably not needed if you are sticking around in eHard. The 3 DC drop from the 6 points of WIS will be felt in eElite but eHard DCs should be low enough that it does not matter.

I run a halfling WIS based monk in wind stance. That gives me 4 DC over your current build (assuming you have the FR monk set for 3 WIS increase). I do not have any problems stunning mobs in eHard at all and even in eElite the DC seems enough for most mobs.

I was also surprised by how well Kukan-Do works. I find that using it on melee/ranged mobs is great and that stunning fist is effective on caster mobs. I also used it in Vale, etc. to auto-summon devil mobs as you did. It is a great way to pull mobs even in other places as only the one targeted seems to aggro.

I wonder at the choice of half-orc. IMO dwarf is a better choice. Part of the reason is that dwarves get racial bonuses to tactics and these apply to stunning fist.

Of course, human or half-elf is a better choice altogether IMO. Combine human recovery with monk recovery for healing amp.

Still, all of these things are up to you. Like I said up front, I don't think that you really need to be WIS focused if you are sticking to eHard. A change in stance should be sufficient.