Thread: Advice needed

Community Member

Default Advice needed

Hello all,
    My plan is to craft a Greater Evil Outsider Longbow, primarily as a demon/devil weapon. The weapon blank is a 2[1d8] with a red augment slot.
    Im looking for advice on the prefix, augment, and enhancement.
    If left to my own devices, the end result would be a +5 Holy Burst of Greater Evil Outsider Bane with a Ruby of Sovereign Frost, which would make it a ML 15 item. Now for the questions
    1 is there a prefix that I am overlooking that would be better than HB?
    2 is there a better augment that Sovereign Frost for demon/devil?
    3 This is the tricky one....whether or not to craft an enhancement. My character is an AA so I can craft returning arrows but if I need to swap out ammo I would the loose the +5 benefit. Thats why I would be putting the +5 enhancement on. That being said, +6 and +7 exist in game as loot drops but we can only craft +5. With the upcoming level increase, I am wondering if we might see +6 and poss+7 enhancement shards. These would probably necessitate
    an increase to +16 and +17 shards of potential as well.
    So....any advice/ thought would be appreciated.

2014 DDO Players Council

If you don't want to worry about switching arrows as much, you might want to slot in Silver (or Cold Iron, depending) instead of a small about of Cold damage. Even if you run with an Arti, Deadly will do more for you.

Community Member

Yep. At the levels that you will be able to use that bow, Silver or Cold Iron DR will remove more damage than the frost will deal in many cases.

Community Member evilgardengnome's Avatar

I may be mistaken but isn't the absolute min level on that bow 20? I thought a random loot weapon with 2[xdx] damage is epic and must stay that way.

Community Member

Thanks for the reply...... I pretty much solo, so no access to an arti. you got me thinking tho- instead of elemental damage, alignment damage would be more useful. It would still mean switching arrows for some instances but not all.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by evilgardengnome View Post
    I may be mistaken but isn't the absolute min level on that bow 20? I thought a random loot weapon with 2[xdx] damage is epic and must stay that way.
    Correct the minimum level is 20 to use. I was referring to the ML as it pertains to crafting
    +2 for the bow
    +5 enhancement
    +4 Holy Burst
    +4 Greater Bane

=15

As it stands now, one can only craft to 15 (a +16 shard of potential does not yet exist)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPGR View Post
    Thanks for the reply...... I pretty much solo, so no access to an arti. you got me thinking tho- instead of elemental damage, alignment damage would be more useful. It would still mean switching arrows for some instances but not all.
    Its a Holy weapon: it will deal Good damage already. For Devils and Demons that is the alignment you want.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Khatzhas View Post
    Its a Holy weapon: it will deal Good damage already. For Devils and Demons that is the alignment you want.
    Yes, I know - but wouldnt using a ruby of chaos against devils have damage in addition to the good damage from the Holy?

Yes, I know - but wouldnt using a ruby of chaos against devils have damage in addition to the good damage from the Holy?
    No, alignment crystals don't add damage, only damage type. A chaos ruby breaks DR/Chaotic.

Honestly I'd rather use that red-augment bow for constructs, specifically a generic boss beater:

+5 True Chaos of Greater Construct Bane w/red slot: Good bypass

With addy arrows this will break dr on both maruts and the Lord of Blades.

For evil outsiders there's a couple options:

+5 Holy Burst of Greater Evil Outsider Bane w/red slot: electricity damage (max dps version)
    +5 Metalline of Greater Evil Outsider Bane w/red slot: Good bypass (max utility version)

The max dps is nice, but you'd need silver, cold iron and byeshk arrows at the ready to break the dr of devils, demons, and xoriat demons respectively. The metalline will break just about any dr in the game at the expense of damage, letting you use any ammuntion (ie: returning) without worry.

With the upcoming level increase, I am wondering if we might see +6 and poss+7 enhancement shards.
    On this topic, the Cannith crafting system has clearly been abandoned by devs (should not be taken pejoratively, just a statement of fact). We haven't seen new effects put into the recipes since the system reached level 100 in June of 2011. What you see is what you are going to get.