Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Community Member Forzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,405

    Default 17 fvs/2 monk/1 ranger - no idea how to start

    Hey all,

    I'd like to lesser my pure human FvS into 17fvs/2 monk/1 ranger; something that is similar in effectiveness to the juggernaut. I'd like to take the following feats, at minimum:

    -cleave/great cleave/oversized critical
    -PBS/rapid shot/manyshot
    -empower heal, quicken.

    I have no idea how to get started, though. If I start with ranger and 2 monk levels, I'm get two martial feats for which I have nothing useful to take (don't feel like taking toughness). Moreover, I have no idea what the value of wisdom would be for this build, since DCs will be **** anyway. I'll probably go THF with cleaver and use pinion as bow. Thinking of starting with 16 or 17 strength, 8 int and 8 cha, but for the rest I have no idea what to do. Also no clue which other ranged feats to take. This is a 34 pt build.

    Does anyone have some time to provide an example from the planner of this type of build? Tried to search for a bit, but with all the fancy names these favored soul builds are given it's difficult to find a good example. Should I take the monk and ranger levels at a later point so I don't have to take feat I don't want? Could I also do something more monkish with wraps/stunning blow instead of THF?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

  2. #2
    Community Member Lurzifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Rage u slacker... no worries will send u the build in planner later
    Haek N' Slay (©ompletionist Juggernaut / Zeus Life 61 of 61)My Toon is better than your toon.Mitis Mors - Thelanis

  3. #3
    Community Member Maelodic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sarlona
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lurzifer View Post
    Rage u slacker... no worries will send u the build in planner later
    I would be a happy camper if you sent it to me as well.
    ~Sarlona~
    Maelodic - Gigglelock| | Zeriyn - Wolf Caster
    Quote Originally Posted by Scraap View Post
    Praise Dog, and Maelodic, his prophet.

  4. #4
    Community Member Loriac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    Hey all,

    I'd like to lesser my pure human FvS into 17fvs/2 monk/1 ranger; something that is similar in effectiveness to the juggernaut. I'd like to take the following feats, at minimum:

    -cleave/great cleave/oversized critical
    -PBS/rapid shot/manyshot
    -empower heal, quicken.

    I have no idea how to get started, though. If I start with ranger and 2 monk levels, I'm get two martial feats for which I have nothing useful to take (don't feel like taking toughness). Moreover, I have no idea what the value of wisdom would be for this build, since DCs will be **** anyway. I'll probably go THF with cleaver and use pinion as bow. Thinking of starting with 16 or 17 strength, 8 int and 8 cha, but for the rest I have no idea what to do. Also no clue which other ranged feats to take. This is a 34 pt build.

    Does anyone have some time to provide an example from the planner of this type of build? Tried to search for a bit, but with all the fancy names these favored soul builds are given it's difficult to find a good example. Should I take the monk and ranger levels at a later point so I don't have to take feat I don't want? Could I also do something more monkish with wraps/stunning blow instead of THF?
    I put together stats for this concept (though mine was a HOrc Cleric base as I like the idea of full raid healing capability) http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=408827

    The stats would need to be adjusted if you don't have access to +4 tomes; in particular, dex has to hit 17 for manyshot, and its a good idea to have wisdom of 16+ from base, tomes, and class enhancements so that disjunction doesn't kill you.

    You need to take power attack for the cleave line of feats, so that takes up one of the monk feats. For the other, the list is a bit limited, but valid choices would be toughness, THF, or stunning fist imo. If you're going for stunning fist however, this changes the build focus entirely, as you'd have to max out wisdom as much as you could, at which point you're better off with a DC caster focus rather than a melee battlecleric.

    This leaves toughness or THF, and if you're determined not to take toughness, then THF is the most logical I think.

    I'd probably go 1. Monk 2. Ranger 3. FVS 4.Monk 5+ FVS to open up Cleave at level 1. This way round you lose a few skill points at level 1 (vs. ranger) but being able to take power attack, cleave, and then great cleave at level 6 makes fighting groups of trash mobs much easier and fun. FVS at 3 also allows you to get empower heal as soon as possible, which will help with early game healing.

    For skills, I would look to have max UMD, high balance, and maybe high concentration.

    Edit: to be clear, early feat progression would be:

    1 (Monk 1) - Monk feat Power attack, General feat Cleave
    3 (FVS1) - General feat empower healing
    4 (Monk 2) - Toughness or THF
    6 (FVS 3) - Great Cleave

    I see little point in building up archery feats early on, as you need high BAB to make manyshot useful.
    Last edited by Loriac; 03-23-2013 at 03:20 PM.

  5. #5
    Community Member Forzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loriac View Post
    I put together stats for this concept (though mine was a HOrc Cleric base as I like the idea of full raid healing capability) http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=408827

    The stats would need to be adjusted if you don't have access to +4 tomes; in particular, dex has to hit 17 for manyshot, and its a good idea to have wisdom of 16+ from base, tomes, and class enhancements so that disjunction doesn't kill you.

    You need to take power attack for the cleave line of feats, so that takes up one of the monk feats. For the other, the list is a bit limited, but valid choices would be toughness, THF, or stunning fist imo. If you're going for stunning fist however, this changes the build focus entirely, as you'd have to max out wisdom as much as you could, at which point you're better off with a DC caster focus rather than a melee battlecleric.

    This leaves toughness or THF, and if you're determined not to take toughness, then THF is the most logical I think.

    I'd probably go 1. Monk 2. Ranger 3. FVS 4.Monk 5+ FVS to open up Cleave at level 1. This way round you lose a few skill points at level 1 (vs. ranger) but being able to take power attack, cleave, and then great cleave at level 6 makes fighting groups of trash mobs much easier and fun. FVS at 3 also allows you to get empower heal as soon as possible, which will help with early game healing.

    For skills, I would look to have max UMD, high balance, and maybe high concentration.

    Edit: to be clear, early feat progression would be:

    1 (Monk 1) - Monk feat Power attack, General feat Cleave
    3 (FVS1) - General feat empower healing
    4 (Monk 2) - Toughness or THF
    6 (FVS 3) - Great Cleave

    I see little point in building up archery feats early on, as you need high BAB to make manyshot useful.
    Thanks for your advice. Very helpful. Not really gonna play the build since im just LR'ing, btw. Gonna see how I can work it out in the planner. I'll probably go for a bit more wis, dex and con than you did and a bit less strength and cha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

  6. #6
    Community Member Loriac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    Thanks for your advice. Very helpful. Not really gonna play the build since im just LR'ing, btw. Gonna see how I can work it out in the planner. I'll probably go for a bit more wis, dex and con than you did and a bit less strength and cha.
    That makes sense, I thought cha 12 on the cleric version to open up divine might 2 (14 to open up DM3 if not HOrc) but FVS doesn't have this enhancement, so the build points are better spent elsewhere. I also had less need of con for my concept, as I assumed toughness as the 2nd monk feat. I think I'd prefer toughness and a lower con score to free up build points elsewhere, but otoh THF does add dps to the build, so they're both decent choices I think. Dex isn't really needed once you can hit the manyshot requirement imo, but then again higher reflex saves would help; I suspect that if you're in EE content, a +6 reflex saves twist will become necessary regardless of starting dex to get functional evasion. Finally, when I thought about it, I came to the conclusion that wisdom doesn't actually do much for a melee spec'd battlecleric, beyond being required for casting spells. I'd assume this is even more true for an FVS than a cleric.

    It was that chain of reasoning that led me to max'ing out str on my version; whilst the build seems MAD as a concept, in reality once you have the basics for each stat met, you don't actually need to maximise any stat other than str.

  7. #7
    Community Member ZeebaNeighba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,220

    Default

    All I can point out is that for angel of vengeance you need either: Maximize, Empower, Heighten or Spell Focus Evocation (last two aren't that important for a multiclassed melee build), so if you're tight on feats, consider replacing Empower Heal with Maximize/Empower. Or take both Maximize and Empower Heal, which is kinda necessary if you're healing groups (so you have good mass cures, and so you can heal party members effectively with cure spells when Heal is on its 6 second cooldown).

  8. #8
    Community Member Forzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeebaNeighba View Post
    All I can point out is that for angel of vengeance you need either: Maximize, Empower, Heighten or Spell Focus Evocation (last two aren't that important for a multiclassed melee build), so if you're tight on feats, consider replacing Empower Heal with Maximize/Empower. Or take both Maximize and Empower Heal, which is kinda necessary if you're healing groups (so you have good mass cures, and so you can heal party members effectively with cure spells when Heal is on its 6 second cooldown).
    Yea, I'm taking maximize too, since it really helps mass cure and divine punishment damage. Tho I don't find the prestige enhancements that great, the debuff aura is still useful for the rest of the team.

    I also just found out FvS need cha to cast spells instead of wis :P. Starting with 11 so that with a +4 tome and fvs charisma I'll have 16 (enough to cast heal).

    Seems like I'm going for this:


    Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.14.02
    DDO Character Planner Home Page
    
    Level 20 Lawful Good Human Male
    (2 Monk \ 1 Ranger \ 17 Favored Soul) 
    Hit Points: 262
    Spell Points: 1422 
    BAB: 14\14\19\24
    Fortitude: 18
    Reflex: 18
    Will: 16
    
                      Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (34 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength             17                    25
    Dexterity            14                    17
    Constitution         14                    17
    Intelligence          9                    12
    Wisdom               13                    16
    Charisma             11                    14
    
    Tomes Used
    +1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 3
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7
    +3 Tome of Strength used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Constitution used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Charisma used at level 11
    
                      Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 20)
    Balance               6                    23
    Bluff                 0                     2
    Concentration         6                    17
    Diplomacy             0                     2
    Disable Device       n/a                    n/a
    Haggle                0                     2
    Heal                  1                     3
    Hide                  2                     3
    Intimidate            0                     2
    Jump                  6                    22
    Listen                1                     3
    Move Silently         2                     3
    Open Lock             n/a                   n/a
    Perform               n/a                   n/a
    Repair               -1                     1
    Search               -1                     1
    Spot                  1                     3
    Swim                  3                     7
    Tumble                3                     4
    Use Magic Device      2                    13
    
    Level 1 (Monk)
    Feat: (Selected) Cleave
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Wizard
    Feat: (Human Bonus) Point Blank Shot
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Power Attack
    
    
    Level 2 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider
    
    
    Level 3 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Deity) Favored by the Silver Flame
    Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell
    
    
    Level 4 (Monk)
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Toughness
    
    
    Level 5 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 6 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Selected) Great Cleave
    
    
    Level 7 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 8 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Sonic
    
    
    Level 9 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Selected) Rapid Shot
    
    
    Level 10 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 11 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 12 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing
    
    
    Level 13 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Electricity
    
    
    Level 14 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 15 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Selected) Manyshot
    
    
    Level 16 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 17 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 18 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Fire
    Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell
    
    
    Level 19 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 20 (Favored Soul)
    Gonna take empower healing/overwhelming crit as epic feats. Maybe swap empower heal for precise shot.
    Last edited by Forzah; 03-26-2013 at 04:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

  9. #9
    Community Member ZeebaNeighba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    Yea, I'm taking maximize too, since it really helps mass cure and divine punishment damage. Tho I don't find the prestige enhancements that great, the debuff aura is still useful for the rest of the team.
    Also as a melee you'll get a lot of the light/alignment weakness procs, so that can be useful if you find weapons with a lot of light/good damage. And of course the archon will get beefed up and so will divine punishment when you use it. I guess it's also nice to give blade barrier and cometfall 60 more spell power.

  10. #10
    Community Member Forzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,405

    Default

    I just noticed I skipped a feat at lvl 9! I took rapid shot at lvl 9, and improved crit: slashing at lvl 12.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

  11. #11
    Death's Dominator Eth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,497

    Default

    I don't think you can heal Mitis Mors Raids with this build. You clearly lack mass repair.
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

  12. #12
    Community Member Forzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,405

    Default

    LR'ed it yesterday but haven't gotten to playing it yet. I managed to craft an epic antique greataxe, but I'm still looking for a reasonable bow (and a quiver.. too!).

    I spent some time testing it in a pvp arena and sprint boost + wings is just awesome. It's fun to still have dots and bladebarrier too, really helps. Now I definitely need to level up my destinies, so it's full power with range also shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload