Default Need Help on Caster Druid that can also Melee

I'm looking for build ideas for a caster druid that can also melee when needed. I have some sorc past lives. So my primary focus will be evo focused caster/cc.

What I'm thinking about is just taking "Improved Critical Blunt" to up my damage when in Wolf form. The rest of my feats will focus on caster abilities. Taking all the Evo spell focuses, etc.

I'm also planning on using the flameblade because I'm staying with max wisdom and want to leave STR as a dump stat. I guess I can also use a Forgotten Light mace too. (but I'm getting a not proficient" -4 error)

I'd appreciate any feedback, build, or playing style tips.

Thanks,

<edit> I'm also wondering if going in Fire Elemental form and using the Body of Sun bubble might be better dps than wolf form. I could take IC:Slash and use flameblade. Would also not suffer spell cooldown penalty.</edit>
    Last edited by Dorian; 03-22-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    Dorian

Community Member

Stay pure go human

feats needed

power attack
    IC: Blunt
    maximize
    heighten
    quicken
    SF: Evo
    GSF: Evo

You would have 1 feat from human bonus and two epic feats. Go with CC and then melee in the middle of earthquake, sleet storm, and ice storm in wolf form with the druid cap for reducing spell casting time.

Ahh.. so you want to have your cake and eat it too.....I like....

Just an update to this post.

I tried the melee/caster hybrid wolf spec. Changed enhancements and swapped out a feat for IC: Blunt.

My melee damage was pathetic. Equipped the belt with "Reinforced Fists" and the challenge ring with seeker/etc. Was using the flameblade.

My guess is you need to take all the natural fighting and shield master feats for max doublestrike to be effective as a melee druid.

I'm swapping my melee feats out so I can get the mental toughness feats back.

Total fail for me. I guess you need to decide on either caster or melee... if you try to do both.... you're just weak.
    Dorian

I have a melee druid and i really like it..

its focus on OCritical and soon willl see how the critical do once i reach a ED that gives me +1 to crit on a total of 5x 20%..

abt the casting part i have no feats at all for cast.. (thinking on doing next life human so i can fit a evo feat) I cast what ever i can b4 the fight and the dmg that comes from that is just bonus..

I consider it hybrid as is.. but my focus is total melee..

I believe same goes for caster base.. u caster whatever u can and sit in the middle holding the attack if u have to.. and the dmg coming from your attack is the bonus part..

what i think is that druids can do this better than other classes (wiz, sorc) not that they cant do so.. but.. druid i guess have a better advantage on that part.. and this is what i really like on my druid..

so point is u dont have to try get both good.. u focus on what u want and the rest is bonus..

Community Member

What I did on mine was basically build it as a caster, Human, Max WIS at start and all level ups in WIS, I chose Season's Herald PrE and then geared with Sneak Attack gear to help compensate for not spending points in STR (I think I started it at 14 ish, not ideal, but with a +4 STR Tome (even a +3 STR Tome isn't that hard to get these days) add in STR Gear you can end up with a reasonable, but not outstanding number. You're never going to rival a Barb for Strength, so don't try, instead think more like a Rogue. You have Earthquake which knocks mobs on their behinds which gives you 50% more damage against them. Also, where possible try to attack mobs already engaged with others and try where possible not to steal agro so you can keep the Sneak Attack damage. The Shield Feats are a nice choice also if you can fit them in, because a second weapon while in Wolf Form is useless really, but a Shield gives you more AC, PRR and (with the Feats) Doublestrike.

It works for me, YMMV.

Just my 2 copper pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by niehues View Post
    its focus on OCritical and soon willl see how the critical do once i reach a ED that gives me +1 to crit on a total of 5x 20%..
    That's one thing I didnt consider. Dreadnought has the blunt crit-range ability... it should work while in wolf form (not sure).

I was using Primal when I was testing... and I didnt have Tree Form yet.
    Dorian

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    That's one thing I didnt consider. Dreadnought has the blunt crit-range ability... it should work while in wolf form (not sure).

To the best of my knowledge Dreadnaught doesn't work with Unarmed and Animal Form abilities (lol, spells...) count as unarmed.

Just an update to this post.

I tried the melee/caster hybrid wolf spec. Changed enhancements and swapped out a feat for IC: Blunt.

My melee damage was pathetic. Equipped the belt with "Reinforced Fists" and the challenge ring with seeker/etc. Was using the flameblade.

My guess is you need to take all the natural fighting and shield master feats for max doublestrike to be effective as a melee druid.

I'm swapping my melee feats out so I can get the mental toughness feats back.

Total fail for me. I guess you need to decide on either caster or melee... if you try to do both.... you're just weak.
    I see you found this out the hard way It's not just druid. You need to specialize have a useful build, period. Doesn't rule out multiclassing but if you want to be a decent tank, you need to focus on tanking. Same for dps or casting. You can't have a competent DPS Castertank that is at the top of the game for DPS, casting and tanking.

Just not gonna happen...

However a wolf form dps specialized druid can also tank pretty well (in terms of being able to absorb damage) in the right destiny.

The real choices for druid are "melee dps or caster?"

Then it comes down to ED specialization. Since you can switch EDs at the drop of a hat, it pays to come up with a set of configurations to switch to depending on the job at hand.

For me personally I like to go into EE and EH/EE raids in survivability mode.

The rest of it I go for all out dps.

They only apply to blunt weapons, not the blunt from wolf form. That's why I use all clubs on my wolf druid

I have a lit II, set of crafted dr breakers (yes with greater bane on them), all clubs.

You can get clubs with red augment slots for slotting transmuting gems (cold iron, byeshk, silver, adamantine, etc), then craft them into specialized weapons.

And btw, sceptres are clubs

Quote Originally Posted by hermespan View Post
    You can get clubs with red augment slots for slotting transmuting gems (cold iron, byeshk, silver, adamantine, etc), then craft them into specialized weapons.
    Good point here. I didnt even think about crafting items with the new augment slots. I wish I could find some silver weapons with a red slot.

Anyway, for my caster hybrid I was stuck with using the flameblade.

It was almost like the wisdom bonus was not working. I had 48 wisdom and the added damage was a joke. I thought it would be +19 damage on each hit. I'm almost convinced that something is bugged with the flameblade.
    Dorian