Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    What you seem to either be forgetting or ignoring is the fact that subscription only DDO nearly died once already. If it were to be suddenly subscription-only again... the population would wither off amazingly fast and the end would follow shortly after.

Probably very shortly, as most of the Premium player who have dumped hundreds of dollars into adventure packs, bank options, character slots, etc - they suddenly feel like they were lied to and ripped off. Those folks would be monstrously PO'd - and would certainly leave as a result. The influx of new players would dry up, again, as the need to invest in a game they don't know if they've even like keeps them away. Without new players, the game will certainly be on the brink of death just like it was in 2008. Driving away a huge segment of the population by taking away the right to content they've already bough fair and square would only hasten the end.

Not to mention the fact that there will very soon be another F2P D&D game on the market. Neverwinter would be thrilled to see DDO take back up the subscription model again because it would only serve as a cattle chute directly into their game.

Circumstances have changed. And due to that, there is no going back to subscriptions without cutting this game's own throat. Instead of ushering in a new Golden Age, it'd nothing other than suicide.
    What you seem to be forgetting is the option to stay premium is still there. Mentally you have already been drawn into subscribing against your will by the thought of perks. Let's put this into practice in reality.
    Last edited by Orratti; 03-22-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orratti View Post
    What you seem to be forgetting is the option to stay premium is still there. Mentally you have already have been drawn into subscribing against your will by the thought of perks. Let's put this into practice in reality.
    If needed items like bank space are VIP only, as some here want, then you might as well say premium doesn't exist as you'd make second class citizens out of the customers that pay the bills. Do you want the servers to close? Btw I have a VIP account and think this is the second worst idea I've heard this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    If needed items like bank space are VIP only, as some here want, then you might as well say premium doesn't exist as you'd make second class citizens out of the customers that pay the bills. Do you want the servers to close? Btw I have a VIP account and think this is the second worst idea I've heard this week.
    So what you are saying is if they provided something of that nature you would feel compelled to subscribe?

So what you are saying is if they provided something of that nature you would feel compelled to subscribe?
    If I was premium I'd feel compelled to quit and uninstall to go to now, elder scrolls, gw2, rift, or even wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    If I was premium I'd feel compelled to quit and uninstall to go to now, elder scrolls, gw2, rift, or even wow.
    But you already spent your money why would you bother to leave? Just don't spend anymore. It's an option for premium that would soon be unavailable to subscribers by my idea as their free turbine points dried up.

I'm VIP this month and next, when my subscription runs out. I'm planning to go premium. I've purchased almost all the packs in other periods when I've gone premium before, own the races and classes and bank space and so on. I'm sure that Turbine would prefer I stay VIP, else they wouldn't have splash screens advertising that status.

So why am I going premium after 3 years as mostly VIP? Well, basically, the perks have ceased to be worth the 30 bucks every three months. Some of the suggestions in here, added to what is already there, might be enough to convince me to renew my subscription instead. Losing any of the current perks (including the 500 TP/month) would certainly convince me that premium was the right place to be.

Good perks have to be non-gamebreakers, and shouldn't add power to a VIPs toons. They'd be things like an extra bank or inventory slot, 5 or 10 astral shards per month along with the TP, or other glitzy but useless things that have already been proposed (fancy armor kits, glittery 'companions').

The 10% XP bonus recently granted has pulled me into a teetering position around the issue of going premium, but right now, that's where I'm headed.
    Argonessen: Jhanrae, Weisen Heimer, Chaard O'Nay, Soulah, and more. Khyber: Dyzzie and Myssie for escape from Argo drama

Quote Originally Posted by jillie View Post
    I'm VIP this month and next, when my subscription runs out. I'm planning to go premium. I've purchased almost all the packs in other periods when I've gone premium before, own the races and classes and bank space and so on. I'm sure that Turbine would prefer I stay VIP, else they wouldn't have splash screens advertising that status.

So why am I going premium after 3 years as mostly VIP? Well, basically, the perks have ceased to be worth the 30 bucks every three months. Some of the suggestions in here, added to what is already there, might be enough to convince me to renew my subscription instead. Losing any of the current perks (including the 500 TP/month) would certainly convince me that premium was the right place to be.

Good perks have to be non-gamebreakers, and shouldn't add power to a VIPs toons. They'd be things like an extra bank or inventory slot, 5 or 10 astral shards per month along with the TP, or other glitzy but useless things that have already been proposed (fancy armor kits, glittery 'companions').

The 10% XP bonus recently granted has pulled me into a teetering position around the issue of going premium, but right now, that's where I'm headed.
    Of course it includes the turbine points. That is your fallback cushion. Your way out card. Your store and astral shard perks.
    Last edited by Orratti; 03-22-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgina39 View Post
    also if a turbine staff member reads this keep the barrier between premium and VIP thin do not give them huge things like reduced raid timers or similar

umm... buy the 500 point bundle for $7 and you're premium for the rest of your life.
    "Keeping the line thin" between VIP and permium would be stupid. NO ONE would be a VIP then

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Thumbs up Yes, increase ViP perks

I have been a proponent of increasing ViP perks for years. I finally gave up my sub well over a year ago and I have not looked back. I believe DDO needs BOTH Premium and ViP. I think increasing ViP should be a goal for DDO as its income is much more predictable and leaves the game more insulated to 'cash grabs' - which, imo, affect certain game and store decisions.

What would push me back to ViP? Many threads on this; these are a good start:

Quote Originally Posted by ka0t1c1sm View Post
    My 3 copper:

1. DDO Store discounts [I would suggest a 'saver club card', perm 33% off + promos].

2. Auction House/Shard Exchange takes a smaller cut.

3. An extra "VIP" character bank tab.

I would throw in perhaps a permanent hireling upon going ViP, somewhere in the mid-level range of 10-15.
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

Community Member

I am premium, have spent enough to fund a vip-sub for several years. If the game goes sub-only I am GONE tomorrow. I won't bother explaining my justification, here, I am just someone who prefers to "own" rather than "rent".

That being said, I have been considering ViP for some time, if for no other reason than "I want to give turbine more of my money". However, nothing about ViP really impresses me, and absolutely nothing that has been suggested in this thread would help.

I love turbine's subscription model: you can buy practically everything peacemeal for the cost of about 3 game expanshions, which is perfectly reasonable and the way I wish all MMOs were(i'd certainly play several if others were like that).

Where is the "wow factor"(and by that I mean wow not WoW Where is that one crazy awesome thing that makes me say

Currently, its not there, and no one has suggested anything like that.

To those who insist VIPs spend next to nothing on the game, I provide you with myself as refutation. I spent over two grand last year in addition to my hundred dollar VIP subscription. I've already spent over five hundred this year. I go VIP instead of Premie because unlike you pikers I actually have GENUINE loyalty to the game instead of a fair weather friend attitude towards it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilbar View Post
    To those who insist VIPs spend next to nothing on the game, I provide you with myself as refutation. I spent over two grand last year in addition to my hundred dollar VIP subscription. I've already spent over five hundred this year. I go VIP instead of Premie because unlike you pikers I actually have GENUINE loyalty to the game instead of a fair weather friend attitude towards it.
    Don't start this fight. It has nothing to do with the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterjWizzard View Post
    I am premium, have spent enough to fund a vip-sub for several years. If the game goes sub-only I am GONE tomorrow. I won't bother explaining my justification, here, I am just someone who prefers to "own" rather than "rent".

That being said, I have been considering ViP for some time, if for no other reason than "I want to give turbine more of my money". However, nothing about ViP really impresses me, and absolutely nothing that has been suggested in this thread would help.

I love turbine's subscription model: you can buy practically everything peacemeal for the cost of about 3 game expanshions, which is perfectly reasonable and the way I wish all MMOs were(i'd certainly play several if others were like that).

Where is the "wow factor"(and by that I mean wow not WoW Where is that one crazy awesome thing that makes me say

Currently, its not there, and no one has suggested anything like that.
    That is exactly why the op had no suggestions in it. I don't think anyone including myself will come up with the right draw to bring them in. That I leave to Turbine to figure out.

Community Member

That is exactly why the op had no suggestions in it. I don't think anyone including myself will come up with the right draw to bring them in. That I leave to Turbine to figure out.
    Yep.

it was nice to see a few suggestions at the begining, but then the thread very quickly derailed into some guy arguing that "if you spend mroe than X per year you should just go vip!!!" and a bunch of other people telling him to shut up.

I'd like to get back on track with suggestions, but sadly I have none that arent either A)Narrowly focused around my specific wants and needs, or B)Things I would not like to see made "ViP-only".

I only hope the vissage of Philip J. Fry will convince others to go back to suggesting.

Don't start this fight. It has nothing to do with the topic.
    It was already started earlier when Karavek decided that VIP stood for Very Insignificant Peasant in the eyes of himself and other premies.

I don't mind suggestions and I'd rather have all the shots fired at me then have posters firing at each other.

Community Member

All right, I'll offer a few:

1)INFINITE storage for VIPs. Caveat: Preimums must be allowed to purchase about 3 or 4 times more storage than currently exists(figure 1,000+ bank slots bought in increments).

2)VIPS can access SHARED bank from anywhere. This lets us keep common items like XP pots, cakes, etc in a place we can get to from any character, any time, while still restricting the bound-to-characters "oops i screwed up and forgot this!" stuff where it belongs.

3)VIPS get access to the Teleport spell in any public area, at level 1, reguardless of what class they play.

While I'm not really sure this would be enough to make me go VIP, its still suggestions and its still a considerable WOW FACTOR. Yes I have been watching a lot of Storage Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterjWizzard View Post
    All right, I'll offer a few:

1)INFINITE storage for VIPs. Caveat: Preimums must be allowed to purchase about 3 or 4 times more storage than currently exists(figure 1,000+ bank slots bought in increments).

2)VIPS can access SHARED bank from anywhere. This lets us keep common items like XP pots, cakes, etc in a place we can get to from any character, any time, while still restricting the bound-to-characters "oops i screwed up and forgot this!" stuff where it belongs.

3)VIPS get access to the Teleport spell in any public area, at level 1, reguardless of what class they play.

While I'm not really sure this would be enough to make me go VIP, its still suggestions and its still a considerable WOW FACTOR. Yes I have been watching a lot of Storage Wars.
    Wow that IS a pretty nice draw. Losing that stuff dropping my subscription would HURT!
    Last edited by Orratti; 03-22-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Of course it includes the turbine points. That is your fallback cushion. Your way out card. Your store and astral shard perks.
    No, the monthly TP are a smaller amount than I typically generate from favor (I TR a lot). But they're a BIG part of what makes VIP worth it at all. And let's face it - it's just a grant of a few more pixels, it doesn't change my game play.

Too, I'd like to know what you think my "store and astral shard perks" are.
    Argonessen: Jhanrae, Weisen Heimer, Chaard O'Nay, Soulah, and more. Khyber: Dyzzie and Myssie for escape from Argo drama

Community Member

Wow that IS a pretty nice draw. Losing that stuff dropping my subscription would HURT!
    The last two(shared bank anywhere and teleport) might actually be a big enough draw for me. I started playing a wizard a while ago and I cant stand any of my other characters who don't have teleport. If I had a little mroe storage space, I'd carry around a stack of teleport scrolls and max UMD on everyone until they could use them.

But that's me :P the infinite storage one would actually **** me off a little, especially if the near-infinite was very expensive. As is I can't justify buying more than the 20-slot shared bank because the next tiers are so expensive and you get so little.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast