Community Member Peter_Principle's Avatar

Default Help with greensteel goggles

Had a friend help me with my goggles, he basically made them for me, and I'm not sure what was really going on there. I'd just have him fix me up again, but our schedules haven't coincided in awhile. They've been crafted to lvl 2, and I'd like to put the finishing touches on them.

So these are my goggles as they stand:

This website http://perfectweb.org/ddo/crafting/base_crafting.php seems to indicate that they were built with a +10HP/+1 Str skills "Neg/Esc/Mat" as the tier 1 effect, and +15hp/+2Con skills "Pos/Esc/Mat as tier 2, and 10/10 Hag/Diplo +6 Wis "Existential Stalemate" as the tier 2 bonus.

So then it looks like my best bet for tier 3 powers is to go with "Positive/Escalation/Material" 20hp/3con as Tier 3, then the +3str skills option for the Tier3 Second Shard (that won't be used, I guess?), and then I get "Existential Stalemate II" as the Tier 3 bonus.

So is that probably the best way for me to go? Or is there some other thing I'm missing that I could do to get both of those Tier 3 abilities? Kinda confused here.

And why does it want me to make a second shard if it apparently isn't going to be used?
    FYI, when I summon an earth elemental, it's not a "he," it's a "she." And her name is Pebbles.

It's a 45 hp concop item with +5 con skills and +1 str skills. This is a common (and awesome) item.

In terms of how to finish it, the exact ingredients are listed in the last section (the one labeled Altar of Devastation Shroud #5) of this link.

Let's see if I can copy & paste it. All ingredients are large, and every step includes a charged high energy cell:

1) Pure essence material: devil scales, shrapnel, arrowhead, stone
    2) Pure essence material: devil scales, shrapnel, arrowhead, stone
    3) Sup focus positive: bone, devil scales, arrowhead, stone
    4) Sup focus negative: shrapnel, arrowhead, chain, stone
    5) Flawless gem escalation: devil scales, stone, shrapnel, chain
    6) Supreme shard pem: Shard of supreme power, Sup focus positive, Flawless gem escalation, Pure essence material
    7) Flawless gem escalation: devil scales, stone, shrapnel, chain
    8) Supreme shard nem: Shard of supreme power, Sup focus negative, Flawless gem escalation, Pure essence material
    9) Supreme shard pnem: Supreme shard pem, Supreme shard nem
    10) Concordant opposition: Goggles, Supreme shard pnem

Edit: TL;DR: ^^^ just read that one

Yep, most who've gone with those 2 tiers would do the third as existential stalemate II with 20hp and moar con or str skills. The 45HP those goggles give you will stack with practically everything else not greensteel, and for casters there's a similar benefit available SP-wise. The random chance of HP/SP recharge from the third tier is hard to pass up, especially if the toon is built around the idea of using guards and getting something out of being hit regularly.

The third tier of GS crafting includes these "special" recipes that use 2 shards and are usually preferred over the single-shard recipes. So yes, you'll need to loot 2 superior shards and imbue them, then join them together before applying to your goggles. Don't worry too much about why it says what it says - do what it says and you'll get what it tells you you'll get.
    Last edited by Meetch1972; 03-21-2013 at 11:42 PM.
    Goe ahed... korekt mah spelin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Meetch1972 View Post
    moar con or str skills. It depends on whether you want a better trip/stun/whatever or better fortitude at the end of the day.
    You get neither; it's just str or con skills. As in, better jump, swim, etc... (str) or better concentration (con).

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Another question: how do I get more Shavarath High Energy Cells? I craft these at the Altar of Devastation with various +8 to +15 weapons and an empty cell, yes? Does it matter what the plus on the weapon is? Or is one Shav High Energy Cell the same as any other?
    FYI, when I summon an earth elemental, it's not a "he," it's a "she." And her name is Pebbles.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    You get neither; it's just str or con skills. As in, better jump, swim, etc... (str) or better concentration (con).
    Ahhh bugger, I KNEW that but wasn't thinking. Thanks. Deleting from original post to avoid confusion, but not denying I ever typed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Principle View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the info.

Another question: how do I get more Shavarath High Energy Cells? I craft these at the Altar of Devastation with various +8 to +15 weapons and an empty cell, yes?
    Yes. The altar will shudder, or simply refuse to let you put an inferior weapon in.

Does it matter what the plus on the weapon is? Or is one Shav High Energy Cell the same as any other?
    All that matters is the + value in the top right hand corner, not the to-hit/dmg bonus. Again, the altar won't let you use lesser weapons. As long as the cell is charged, you're golden (and you'll need 10).

Yay, they are crafted and I have my +20 to hit points...and presumably more when I get thumped on. : )

Thanks, everyone.

try use this next time to plan your GS

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...roud/index.php
    ALL HAIL TO ITS SQUISHY-MAJESTY SIR KNORR, LORD OF OOZES AND MASTER OF SLIME
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=386688

Quote Originally Posted by Nephilia View Post
    try use this next time to plan your GS

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...roud/index.php
    Ack! You know what sucks? I already had the + 20 hp on my war wizard bracers! Ha ha, d'oh!

Oh well, the goggles are still awesome; lvl 3 worth it for the concentration buff.

Ack! You know what sucks? I already had the + 20 hp on my war wizard bracers! Ha ha, d'oh!

Oh well, the goggles are still awesome; lvl 3 worth it for the concentration buff.
    If you ever decide to TR, once you get back to level 11, you'll REALLY see just how awesome they are

Those goggles are usually the first Greensteel item I make for pretty much any new character (especially casters).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

Maybe I'm taking this out of context, but no one that I know of goes for ConOpp anything for the +20 HP. They do it for the SP regen on being hit.

So it's not a waste, especially if you are an arcane.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

Well, the war wizard set is really a placeholder for greensteel, which you now have. Bonus! hehheh.

The -10% spell point cost for the set bonus is nice but it conflicts with torc, which is worth more than -10% cost. It's still a decent placeholder for that reason until you get a torc, though.

Quote Originally Posted by squishwizzy View Post
    Maybe I'm taking this out of context, but no one that I know of goes for ConOpp anything for the +20 HP. They do it for the SP regen on being hit.

So it's not a waste, especially if you are an arcane.
    It's both. When I'm farming on my wizard (PM) it's absolutely in my damage mitigation gear set (w/ DQ bracers, L24 Shadow docent, Torc, big blocking shield, shroud of the lich). Think about that as a different kind of DR. The SP is generally more useful but the HP makes getting that SP easier.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Well, the war wizard set is really a placeholder for greensteel, which you now have. Bonus! hehheh.

The -10% spell point cost for the set bonus is nice but it conflicts with torc, which is worth more than -10% cost. It's still a decent placeholder for that reason until you get a torc, though.
    This, exactly. The War Wizard set is kind of "catch up" gear. It lets people get the HP and SP that they could otherwise get from Green Steel, while being a very poor in comparison to Torq and ConcOp items.

Oh boy, ADQs for a torc.

heh

It's funny, farming a torc doesn't feel grindy to me. Took my wizard 4 months to get his running ADQ twice a week, so it was definitely long. But twice a week felt kinda meh in terms of grind. I'd characterize it as a serious wait, not grind.

The adamantine cloak of the dragon, however; hoooo boy now that is a grind. My wizard ran 60+ challenges over a couple weeks to get his, and by the end my brain was melting. This was a few months ago.

So my cleric is doing a wizard life for +1 dc and +2 spell pen plus the ability to easily farm his own dragon cloak. (I literally cannot fathom the idea of running a cleric through sunset ritual.) A guildie happened to need a dragon cloak as a placeholder for tablecloth. Last night we finished our cloaks; we ran 50+ challenges over the span of 4 nights, and my god, that was the grind to end all grinds.

Quote Originally Posted by Meetch1972 View Post
    Yes. The altar will shudder, or simply refuse to let you put an inferior weapon in.
    Also true, hilariously, if you put a superior weapon in.
    Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37
    It's funny, farming a torc doesn't feel grindy to me. Took my wizard 4 months to get his running ADQ twice a week, so it was definitely long. But twice a week felt kinda meh in terms of grind. I'd characterize it as a serious wait, not grind.

The adamantine cloak of the dragon, however; hoooo boy now that is a grind. My wizard ran 60+ challenges over a couple weeks to get his, and by the end my brain was melting. This was a few months ago.
    Concur. ADQ1 is entertaining and ADQ2 goes quite quickly, and the E* challenges are openly player-unfriendly.