Default Artificer Questions

Hi, all.

Considering adding 6 levels of Artificer to a multi-classed build, and I have a few questions:

1) Battle Engineer Enhancement: Does the +2 enhancement bonus stack with the weapon's existing bonus, or does it only stack with the Enchant Weapon Spell? In other words, if I have a +5 sword with Enchant Weapon running, would a Battle Engineer wield this as a +8 weapon?

2) Artificer Spells: Many of the spells, such as Enchant Weapon, talk about affecting "your target." I assume you can be the target/. Similarly, many of them like Cat's Grace say they affect "an ally." I assume you can also cast this on yourself?

3) Insightful Strikes / Insightful Damage: How does this work? Does it substitute my Intelligence modifier for the normal enchantment bonus on the item? In other words, if I have an Intelligence Modifier of +7, it means my +4 weapon would be considered +7 for attack or damage purposes?

Thanks for your help!

Holgar

1. It stacks with the weapon's enhancement bonus, and also with enchant weapon. Note that xbows and bows have two different sets of enhancement bonuses - one set on the weapon itself, and the other on the ammo used, with only the highest applying. Battle engineer affects the weapon enhancement but not the ammo enhancement.

2. Yes, the spells can be cast on yourself. In general, target:ally can be cast on yourself unless the spell description says otherwise.

3. The insightful strikes / damage cause you to use Int instead of the attribute that would normally apply (strength for most weapons, dexterity for ranged or finesse weapons). Xbows are a special case: normally you don't get any damage modifiers on these, but casting insightful damage allows you to add your Int modifier to the damage. Neither of these spells affect the weapon's enhancement bonus. They are also classed as personal augmentations, so can be cast on a weapon which e.g. has enchanted weapon or deadly weapon cast on it. Despite being called 'personal', you still have to cast it for every weapon you intend to use, with the weapon in hand when you cast it. In the example you gave, casting insightful damage would mean your +4 weapon is still +4, but if (for example) it was a longsword, you'd now apply your Int damage modifier to damage instead of your Str modifier.

Awesome, Loriac, thanks for your answers!

Holgar