Thread: Guild questions

Community Member

Default Guild questions

Our guild is level 35 now, and this almost entirely done with 3 people (I am one of them and only joined in September 2012). We are also friends in real life. We would like to expand it and play with more people, which will raise the guild to higher levels faster.

But we want to be "selective" with our new members. I'm not trying to violate any forum rules, so let's just say that we are looking for members with a strict moral code. Not that they need to be religious, but a belief in a higher power would be beneficial.

Our reasoning is that we have to deal with/listen to things we are not comfortable with at work all day, but we'd rather not have to deal with that in our entertainment. So we very much want to only group with players that will keep the chat "clean". Not that we talk about the bible or other things all the time, because we rarely do. We just laugh and have a great time, but in a way that should not cause offense to anyone.

So my question is this: Is there a way to advertize a guild like ours that would not violate any forum rules, and not cause a lot of offense to other players? We're not trying to be "preachy" at all, or come off as arrogant. It's just a desire to keep our entertainment as free of certain elements as possible.

Thanks for understanding, and for your advice.
    Last edited by stefferweffer; 03-20-2013 at 11:40 AM.

I think you did just fine with the way you worded it here. Remember, the guild leader has the ability to remove anyone from the guild that you do not want there. An addition to your guild does not have to be permanent.

Good luck to you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyr View Post
    Guild members should be chosen based upon social factors and not game mechanics.

Community Member

Family Friendly is the term that describes what you are looking for. No words you wouldn't want your kids reading on screen, no subjects that shouldn't be discussed in front of kids and such. You could also read over your server forums guild section to get some ideas on what is acceptable and not, that is also a good place to post for your guild. Not everyone swings by there when looking for one to join or run with, you'll end up needing to recruit some in game too. Probably best to run with folks a few times before sending an invite, see how they act when things are running smooth or when the stuff hits the fan.

A private island with Johnny Depp, ahem, I mean my hubby

Quote Originally Posted by smeggy1384 View Post
    Family Friendly is the term that describes what you are looking for. No words you wouldn't want your kids reading on screen, no subjects that shouldn't be discussed in front of kids and such. You could also read over your server forums guild section to get some ideas on what is acceptable and not, that is also a good place to post for your guild. Not everyone swings by there when looking for one to join or run with, you'll end up needing to recruit some in game too. Probably best to run with folks a few times before sending an invite, see how they act when things are running smooth or when the stuff hits the fan.
    Yep, I think Family Friendly is the term you are looking for! Good luck with your recruitment!
    When asked, "What are we going to do tonight?" the only acceptable answer is, "The same thing we do every night...Try to take over the world!"
    Sarlona - Auralana, Orcalana, JuicyLucy, Aquani, Wistia, Aurabella, Guildy, etc. If you see the last name Hather, it's either me or the hubby.

Besides advertising here on the forum that you look for more members and describing what you're looking for I'd advise running a few quests with potential new members before inviting them into the guild, that way you'll get to know them a little and may be able to judge whether they fit your playstyle and views, and they'll be able to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post
    Our guild is level 35 now, and this almost entirely done with 3 people (I am one of them and only joined in September 2012). We are also friends in real life. We would like to expand it and play with more people, which will raise the guild to higher levels faster.

But we want to be "selective" with our new members. I'm not trying to violate any forum rules, so let's just say that we are looking for members with a strict moral code. Not that they need to be religious, but a belief in a higher power would be beneficial.

Our reasoning is that we have to deal with/listen to things we are not comfortable with at work all day, but we'd rather not have to deal with that in our entertainment. So we very much want to only group with players that will keep the chat "clean". Not that we talk about the bible or other things all the time, because we rarely do. We just laugh and have a great time, but in a way that should not cause offense to anyone.

So my question is this: Is there a way to advertize a guild like ours that would not violate any forum rules, and not cause a lot of offense to other players? We're not trying to be "preachy" at all, or come off as arrogant. It's just a desire to keep our entertainment as free of certain elements as possible.

Thanks for understanding, and for your advice.
    You can create a guild page on a forum page representing the server of your guild.

This is a great place to establish the standing rules of your guild.

Just because someone has access to the game does not give them a right to join or even remain in a guild. But it helps a lot for both leaders and members to be clear on:

* Age range of the guild. My guild does not generally allow those under 18 since our language can get spicy in voice chat.
    * General gameplay style. My guild prefers quest completion with most objectives for more XP and loot. Others may choose to join a guild because they love to zerg (speed through a quest, ignoring objectives with a higher risk to the player). This one is a critical question to ask a prospective member. Don't invite members with a different game play style than the guild leaders and members.
    * Guild format. Any class allowed? Do you want to specialize with only one class? What about 'perma-death" format?
    * Conduct. This is the hardest to grade for a prospective member, but you can define what behavior is not allowed. Start with the game rules. If Turbine can ban a player due to a particular behavior, a guild leader should not hesitate to kick them from a guild. Rules such as "Cooperate with other guild members and aid them first before joining a PUG" is a reasonable example. "No drama" may be too general, but not "If problems develop between guild members, please bring issues privately to the guild leader, who has final authority to remove members from a guild who show belligerence, derision, or verbal abuse to other members unacceptable and incompatible with cooperative game play and comradeship."
    * Do you have voice chat on, even if you haven't a mic? This is essential for cooperative play, especially in raids. Those who can't or won't turn voice chat sound on should be declined.
    *How often do you play? If members join but rarely play, this can be a detriment in guild management.
    *Are you Free to Play, Premium or VIP? A VIP-only guild means that any member can play most content. But mixing up F2P and VIP can be problematic if you haven't guild members who help out low-level F2P members.

There are others, but you can see where I'm leading.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more

Community Member

Your server has a Guild Recruitment Forum here on the DDO Forums.

My server (Orien) has a "Master Guild Listing" post which has information about quite a few guilds regarding things like size, content focus (hardcore raiding or a more casual approach- that sort of thing) plus any restrictions on age, race (we have or had an all WF guild), classes (think there was an all-Rogue guild too). If your sever has something similar- and I'd be surprised if it didn't- that would be a great place to start and I'd word it exactly as you have here.
    In an election, always vote for the candidate who likes big butts....because, you know, they cannot lie.

KCCO