Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Yep, as we had 2 L6 characters and a L7character, doing the last of the STK chain on elite (a L5 quest, bring difficulty up to L7) the traps were unspottable for our under-geared L6 rogue. Doing it on hard was only a bit challenging, with a only a couple close calls. Having a cleric with radiant servant was a large part of our success in this regard. I think the only close calls were:

1. Just past the drawbridge, Narcene and Jedial were cut off from Mansoor when the gates closed and the spiders attacked. With one or two spiders left, Jedial had to use a quick LOH on Narcene when he noticed her health reduced down to about 12.

2. The water filled room with all the platforms - not really a "close" call, but we had to take it very slow to not draw aggro from multiple casters and disable the traps.

3. The end fight - I noticed Mansoor toss off multiple radiant heals during the battle, not ssure how low our health was getting but I am sure he wasn't just "topping us off" during the fight.

Irestone was fun. We realized we could not use our usual style of "slow and sneaky" as effectively in this quest due to the large number and frequent respawns of wandering mobs. Many times we had finished off the various camps of mobs and were busy looting the chests when out of thin air there would appear witch doctors, infiltrators, wargs, and clerics. So we had to speed things up a little, but stayed quite a bit left of zerging. Still made use of ranged/bluff, just quicker and without as much discussion.

At the end of the night Jedial had leveled up to 7 and Narcene is very close to L7. Jedial was happy to get a +1 Keen Greatsword with a red slot as an end reward, ML2. He replaced his +1 shock greatsword with this new weapon and will keep an eye open for an augment to slot in it.

PS - Percy has been MIA for 3 weeks in a row now. Vinnie was present last week, but was MIA this week.

Guys - is it time to try and recruit another player? Even if we are all present, we still have one open slot.

2015 DDO Players Council Hazelnut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    Yep, as we had 2 L6 characters and a L7character, ...

Irestone was fun. We realized we could not use our usual style of "slow and sneaky" as effectively in this quest due to the large number and frequent respawns of wandering mobs. Many times we had finished off the various camps of mobs and were busy looting the chests when out of thin air there would appear witch doctors, infiltrators, wargs, and clerics. So we had to speed things up a little, but stayed quite a bit left of zerging. Still made use of ranged/bluff, just quicker and without as much discussion.

At the end of the night Jedial had leveled up to 7 and Narcene is very close to L7. Jedial was happy to get a +1 Keen Greatsword with a red slot as an end reward, ML2. He replaced his +1 shock greatsword with this new weapon and will keep an eye open for an augment to slot in it.
    week.

Guys - is it time to try and recruit another player? Even if we are all present, we still have one open slot.
    Oh wow. A group that actually uses sneak. My halfling heart beats with excitement. I'm new, foolish, and probably far too low a level for you (L3 or L4 server depending) and probably not on the right server anyway. Plus, I don't know when you actually get together.

It's nice to know there are actual organized groups that plan their attacks.
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
    Oh wow. A group that actually uses sneak. My halfling heart beats with excitement. I'm new, foolish, and probably far too low a level for you (L3 or L4 server depending) and probably not on the right server anyway. Plus, I don't know when you actually get together.

It's nice to know there are actual organized groups that plan their attacks.
    Hi! It's a long thread, but we have 5 members when everyone shows up. We are non-twinked and heavily restricted on magic items to make things more D&D-like instead of DDO-monty-haul. Levels are 6-7 currently, meet on Thelanis on Sunday evenings from ~7:30PM EST until about 10PMish.

I think of our style of play more like "sneak and surge," rather than "slow and sneaky." We sneak up, take out a couple opponents with ranged/bluffs/charm, then stun or blind the rest and surge forward to finish them off before they can react or if we draw too much aggro at once.

Couldn't hurt. We're still low enough level that someone can roll up a L4 and advance a level or two, or just roll up a L7. I don't think having a 1-2 level spread is bad thing. We could use a wizard, cleric, sorcerer (if those are still allowed), barb, or fighter. Another cleric would let me slide back to bard, or a wizard would allow me to play either cleric or bard depending on who shows up.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    We could use a wizard, cleric, sorcerer (if those are still allowed), barb, or fighter. Another cleric would let me slide back to bard, or a wizard would allow me to play either cleric or bard depending on who shows up.
    If a new player arrives, will they "Roll" a new set of stats or does Storm want to not do this as you did?

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    If a new player arrives, will they "Roll" a new set of stats or does Storm want to not do this as you did?
    Yeah they'll probably need to roll just to be consistent with everyone else.

Yeah they'll probably need to roll just to be consistent with everyone else.
    I'd be willing to bypass this one requirement under certain circumstances. Mainly I'm thinking if a new player, with a 28pt build. already leveled up to 4-6 wanted to join and abide by our magic restrictions I'd be okay with it. My reasoning is that a 28pt build made by a new player is probably not going to be over powered.

I think of our style of play more like "sneak and surge,"
    Yes that's probably a better description. Jedial's battle cry is "Bum rush!!!!" anyway.

I'd be willing to bypass this one requirement under certain circumstances. Mainly I'm thinking if a new player, with a 28pt build. already leveled up to 4-6 wanted to join and abide by our magic restrictions I'd be okay with it. My reasoning is that a 28pt build made by a new player is probably not going to be over powered.
    True enough. I honestly don't mind either way.

Community Member

The Ranger is already created on Thelanis, and is Level 3.
    She has every equipable slot filled except Gloves.
    Base Stats are unknown, but even with gear equiped, is appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    The Ranger is already created on Thelanis, and is Level 3.
    She has every equipable slot filled except Gloves.
    Base Stats are unknown, but even with gear equiped, is appropriate.
    @Hazelnut - you are more than welcome to join us if you are available on Sunday nights. A couple of us are in the same time zone as you. We can help you level up, it should be easy getting you to 5 or 6 pretty quickthen we'd all be close to the same level.

Have you been in groups/parties before, or do you solo? We just try to have fun, we are not concerned with how much or little anyone knows. We are laid back and easy going.

We do not have a ranger in our group yet, but you would be the third halfling.

We do not have a ranger in our group yet, but you would be the third halfling.
    Looks like it's time to break out the dog sled - er - halfling sled.

Looks like it's time to break out the dog sled - er - halfling sled.
    Unfortunately Hazlenut has not replied. Either we scared her off or she hasn't checked the thread. I will send her a PM.

She is trying out the THAC0 Monday night group.

So to any reading this we are still looking for another player who would like to join our static Sunday night adventures. Don't let the rules put you off, in short we are simply a non-twinked self-sufficient group that limits the amount of magic items used (you can give them away to your alts) ,does not use shrines or zerg. We usually run 2-4 quests per get-together.

Anyone heard from Percy?

Community Member

Anyone heard from Percy?
    Haven't heard from him in the Monday or Wednesday games either, or via PM. Concerned...

Default Assault on Splinterskull

Percy was the only one missing tonight, and we are concerned. Intruder if you have a way outside of the game to contact him please do so and let us know what's up.

So it was two halflings and two humans that traveled back to Tanglroot to take care of some unfinished business with the chief of Splinterskull. Our bard, Cadrod, was replaced with Mansoor the Cleric, as we are sorely missing Percy's beer-heals.

First we had to deliver a deadly package to a spy in Splinterskull's inner fortress, a poisoned cup that delivers death both vile and swift. We fought our way past spiders, traps and hobgoblin avengers to find the key to the inner stronghold. We delivered the package successfully, then at the request of the assassin we found a secret chamber and sent our trapper Narcene to pull a switch that would release a fleshrender being held by the Hobgoblin Witch doctor. Unfortunately, she was unable to disarm the fire traps on the stairs, so she evaded her way through and managed to pull the swuitch. We could hear the demon begin to wreak vengenace upon the Hobgoblins who were holding it captive. On her way back down the stairs, she tried to time the flames but stopped a little shy of the safe spot and was burnt to a crisp just a few feet from the rest of us. Jedial used his Undying Call to bring her back, and we proceded down the hall to the summoning chamber to finish off the hobgoblins while they were being torn apart by the flesh render. Chest looting accomplished and we headed back to report our success to Chief Ungurz.

Bad news - the assassin was discovered and now Chief Ungurz was suffering from an evil magic of witch doctor Zulkash. Our job was to slay the witch-doctor Zulkash in his fane, and destroy his totem of power. So back into the hobgoblins lair we again fought past spiders and reinforcements (where do all these hobgoblins keep coming from?). We followed the directions Chief Ungurz gave us and found an area with magic rune wheels that had to be set just right to bring down the force field barricade protecting the witch doctor. Battling several clerics, with doctors, wargs and slayers we finally fought our way into the witch doctor's room, slew the hobgoblins, killed the witch doctor, and destryed his evil fane and undead minions. We played a good game of luring, bluffing, divide and conquer throughout this quest and no one died. Yay!

But wait, what's this? A grimoire describing a secret underwater cavern where the witch doctor was holding some elementals captive? We decide to investigate. After a long swim underwater we emerged in a large cavern, in the center of which are 3 large earth elementals. The ensuing battle was not good. Though we were able to severley wound all three, we were unable to concentrate our attacks on any single elemental and thus were unable to reduce the ferocious beating they were giving us in return. One after the other, our party were subject to earth grabs, then pummeled into unconciousness, then death. Total party wipe.... Thankfully this was an optional post-quest objective, so we still managed to advance to the final chapter - break into the throne room of Chief Yarkuch and slay him!

Once again we battled our way through Splinterskull to the inner fortress. We could do it blindfolded by this point, we had worn a path in the stone from traversing this same way so many times. Approaching a door certain to have a score of hobgoblins and their worg companinons behind it, we made ready and planned to use our divide and conquer tactic that had won us many a victory. Twas not to be so successful this time, as at least a dozen or more enraged enemies swarmed through the door. With the enemy upon us, it became hack and slash with Mansoor spamming radiant bursts to keep us alive. Surprisingly, as the dust settled and we recognized each other through the blood and guts that covered each one us, we breathed a sigh of relief to see that we were all standing and in good health. A lone slayer and his sleepy warg were all that we found remaining from the vicious mob just a little way up the hall and they were quickly dispatched. Now apparently we had to confront a pair of fericious ogres to obtain the keys needed to open the throne room. Each ogre was surrounded by a retinue of wargs, slayers, clerics and witch doctors. Fortunately for us, the two ogres did not reside in the same room together.

At this point my memory is a little foggy, we did try to lure them out one by one with limited success, and at some point in the first battle one of the halflings (Vinnie I think) died. Jedial brought him back with Undying Call and we determined to be more careful in the second room. Twas not to be though, as this battle with the second ogre resulted in both halflings dying. (Guys - what is your fortification? I think the crits are killing you). Jedial could not yet use Undying Call as the cool-down timer is a very long one. So Manssor and Jedial carefully proceded toward the throne room - side stepped both the spinning blades and spikes, and decided to hole up in a safe room just before the throne room in order to consider our next move. It looked like about 10 minutes remained on the cool down timer for Undying Call now, so we voted to take a long breather in the safe room. (During which time most of us took afk breaks for drinks, snacks, bio, etc). Upon returning a d20 roll between the two halflings (Narcene rolled a 3, Vinnie a 17 I think) determined that Vinnie got raised. Mansoor made the suggestion to have the halfling lure the mobs out of the throne room and into the spike traps while Monsoor and Jedial stayed safely in the doorway swinging their big two-handers. This worked like a charm as one hobgoblin after the other impaled themselves on the spikes until even the chief himself met his demise between his own spike traps and the blades of STORM. Another benefit to this tactic was that by now Jedial's Undying Call had once again been replenished and Narcene was able to join in the looting of the chests.

Jedial was most pleased to choose as his end-reward the mighty two handed sword wielded by the defeated chieftan himself:

Last edited by Fedora1; 07-29-2013 at 03:23 PM.

STORM now has:

L7 Cleric - Mansoor
    L7 Paladin - Jedial
    L7 Rogue - Narcene
    L3/L3 Cleric/Paladin - Vinnie

Jedial was able to spend his AP on Hunter of the Dead. Necropolis and Delera - we are coming for you!

Still looking for one or two interested players to join our Sunday night static group.

Default Overheard

A few of us can understand, if not speak, some basic Hobgoblin. We stopped in the shadows down the long hall from the two Hobgoblin Slayers standing guard. Taking careful aim at the half-asleep guard on the left, we let fly with a volley of swift and silent arrows. Jarring him awake with some razor tipped wooden shafts piercing the joints in his armor, in true and wreckless fashion he did the only thing a hobgoblin knows how to do - he charged us. His sudden movement seemed to jar his partner out of his half drunken stupor as well and looking confused, shouted after the running hobgoblin "Hey George, where ya goin'? George! Dangit I said where ya go... Arrrghhh! You killed George! He owed me money!"

A Hobgoblin named George?

Default Rogues are sooooooooooo gear dependent...

Level 6 with the +5 hood, +1 spot enhancement, +2 Skill Boost, and Narc can't spot or search for traps in elite Tangleroot end quests. Spot was 18; search 17/19 with skill boost. A stat boost (+1) and a hero click(+2) probably (hopefully) would have made the difference. After dying twice in traps, (also got killed by rock elementals) had the xp to level. So got 1 more rank and spot, search enhancements instead of the hoped for Sneak Attack Training. That puts the new spot at 20 and search 19/22. And since +7 gear is min level 7, I' won't be able to afford it.

Solutions; concentrate on search only and rely on memory. Kind of metagaming and I don't know where all the traps are. Use either me or Vinnie as a trap detector; it would kill me(as it has) or waste healing. Free bonus for trap gear would violate the spirit of Storm. A ranger could concentrate on spot but we don't have one. (The original Narcene was a ranger and that had been the plan) The combat feels right at this level, tough fights we can both win or loose depending on luck and skill. Cove spyglass?
    Last edited by LeadHeros; 07-31-2013 at 07:23 AM.
    No Char left behind; original join date, Oct 2010

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast