Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 425
  1. #221
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Healing amp enhancements. Improved recovery III means a human or half-elf will get 33% more healing than a half-orc.
    Gotcha. But seeing as how dwarves and such don't get the IR3 either...



    Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Oh, I'm fine with that. Maybe make a recommendation that you need a minimum number of levels though to prevent getting a tier 3 prestige then splashing.
    Correct, this is why you MUST have a minimum of 6 levels in a class. Thus you could not change UNTIL level 7, and no later than level 15. Once you change, you cannot change back. Maximum of 2 classes.

    This way it is impossible to "splash". It is also impossible to take, for instance, 1 level of rogue, then 6 levels of something else, then back to rogue (etc.). Splits would be 14/6, 13/7, 12/8, 11/9, or 10/10. Obviously 12/8 and 14/6 are the sweet spots, but this WAS allowed in PnP D&D.

  2. #222
    Community Member Postumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SW Wheloon
    Posts
    6,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post

    Correct, this is why you MUST have a minimum of 6 levels in a class. Thus you could not change UNTIL level 7, and no later than level 15. Once you change, you cannot change back. Maximum of 2 classes.

    This way it is impossible to "splash". It is also impossible to take, for instance, 1 level of rogue, then 6 levels of something else, then back to rogue (etc.). Splits would be 14/6, 13/7, 12/8, 11/9, or 10/10. Obviously 12/8 and 14/6 are the sweet spots, but this WAS allowed in PnP D&D.
    Is this something you are thinking of doing with Jedial?

  3. #223
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Is this something you are thinking of doing with Jedial?
    Not necessarily. At least that's not the motive behind the suggestion.

    I just thought if someone wants to play a multiclass character, this is how it was done in PnP D&D. Demi-humans could do up to 3 classes, but had to level up evenly - experience-wise anyway. Different classes had different xp requirements to level, so when they evenly divided their xp between 2-3 classes they tended to level up faster in 1 than the other(s). The current system of no more than 2 levels between classes does a good job emulating that rule.

    However, humans could not "multi-class", but they could "dual-class" as we have discussed here. First one class, then essentially "change professions" permanently and level up in some other class.

  4. #224
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,934

    Thumbs up After Action Report

    Tonight we were missing (both literally and figuratively) our primary trapper, Narcene. Vinnie took on that role for the evening's quest as we really wanted to finish the Bookbinder quest. This led to some interesting ways to successfully fail a quest before we figured out just how hard ELITE traps are.

    Before describing the details, let me state that Percy is doing great keeping us healed (with RS bursts) and Cadrod is excellent at both crowd control (stuns, mesmerize, charm) and buffs (blur and inspire). The usefullness of these two members of the party goes way beyond simple kill counts. But tonight's Bookbinder quest revolved around the trapper, so here is what happened (to the best of my recollection).

    Round 1 We entered through the front door, and after a tough battle (we didn't kill the caster's fast enough) we proceded upstairs and cleared the hallways. At the first door, Vinnie was unable to either spot or find the traps, so it was decided that Jedial (with the highest health and LOH) should break down the door and run for the level to disable the trap so the rest of the party could enter. It actually almost worked. Jedial actually broke the door open and ran through without getting damaged by the spike traps. He swung his great axe as he ran for the lever in the corner. Once there he had to take a couple more swipes at the bad guys and began pulling the lever. Right at that moment he was interrupted by a "hold" spell and paralyzed. Meanwhile, a couple of mobs spawned in the previously cleared hallway and attacked the other three party members from behind. A caster in the room began launching fireballs and it went downhill from there. Jed and one other party member died quickly. I don't recall the rest of that battle, but it was obvious we would not be able to complete the quests so we recalled.

    Round 2 Our normal rule upon failing a quest is to wait until next week to try again, but since our rogue was unable to spot/search the trap we decided that Vinnie would log out, log in with his mule which held his spot/search hood, and log back in. With Vinnie thus equipped, we wanted to try again. The battle on the first floor was completed, the upstairs hallway cleared, and back to the first door we confidently assembled. Lo and behold, Vinnie still was unable to spot/search out the trap. Well, plan B was the same as before since we had been very close - the HOLD spell and the unextpected spawing of the mobs in the hallway being the only hiccups in the first go-around. This time, unfortunatley, was even worse. The spike traps alone knocked Jedial down to about 3HP. The rest is a blur but again the end result was a successful way NOT to complete the quest.

    Round 3 As we discussed what to do next, with Tangleroot being the consensus, our conversation flowed around what kind of spot/search was needed in a level 4 elite quest like Bookbinder. We were really surprised that our level 5 rogue (Vinnie) was unable to find them with the spot/search hood. It was then brought to Vinnie's attention (and mine) that the hood had to be "clicked" to activate now, unlike the old one that you just equipped. This was new information to both Vinnie and myself. Vinnie had not actually benefitted from the hood enhancement! So now, with this new revelation in mind, and our stubborn egos at stake having now failed Bookbinder twice this week and once last week, we returned to try One More Time!

    Enter first floor. Check.

    Clear upstairs hallway. Check. Sort of.

    Unexpected event. Check. Somehow our party triggered a trap at one of the doors while the fight in the hallway was going on. It was probably Jedial with his great axe swinging madly about. Anyway, the door was shattered and the enemies rushed out into the hall. Despite this unexpected encounter, we were up to the task and one family member escaped to safety.

    Now back to the infamous door on the west side of the second story. Click to activate hood. Spot... Success! Search... Success! Disable... Success! Pick lock... Hooray! Battle ensues. STORM wins another battle!

    And so went the remainder of the spot/search/disable/battle. There were a couple of close calls in the fighting, and Vinnie blew the very last fire trap on the very last room, but finally, STORM was able to rescue all the family members and kill all the bad guys. Yay!

    Up next we breifly considered Come Out and Slay to finish the Sharn series, but I reminded them this was a VERY tough level 4 quest when on elite. It is considered "normal difficulty" in DDO, but that has a lot to do with the fact that there are two rest shrines. One is normally used after the intial battles with the gathered gangs in the first area, and the second is available after leaving the mansion and beginning the rooftop escape. With our "no shrine" rule, we decided that even by moving slow and conservatively, it would be too much, especially with a 4-man party. So we decided to wait until we had all 5 memebers (or even a 6th if Intruder cares to join us) or wait until a couple of us level up to 7. After Bookbinder we are all at level 6.

    So we headed over to Tangleroot where we had some unfinished business with Whisperdoom. We needed to destroy her eggs. We did a few slayers (looking for rares) in the wilderness and gathered a few lilly petals on our way to Splinterskull, but once inside it was all business and we made a bee line (sort of) for Whisperdoom's lair. On the way Cadrod got to use his favorite tactic - grease - to trip up the Hobgoblins on the ledge. This was great, but then he got grease click happy and launched a second burst which caught an incoming hobgoblin AND his own party. lol
    Too funny! Anyway, it was all good and we got the bonus chest on the ledge, killed a few more wargs, and headed over to Whisperdoom. Our plans to have Jed aggro Whisperdoom and lure her away away while others stomped the eggs did not work, as Whisperdoom could not be hit and aggro could not be gained. So we ran around like chickens with our heads cut off but it worked, we were even able to loot the chest. Cadrod's dimesion door assisted our escape.

    All-in-all aother good night of fun and fellowship with STORM members.

  5. #225
    Community Member Postumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SW Wheloon
    Posts
    6,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post

    So we headed over to Tangleroot where we had some unfinished business with Whisperdoom. We needed to destroy her eggs. We did a few slayers (looking for rares) in the wilderness and gathered a few lilly petals on our way to Splinterskull, but once inside it was all business and we made a bee line (sort of) for Whisperdoom's lair. On the way Cadrod got to use his favorite tactic - grease - to trip up the Hobgoblins on the ledge. This was great, but then he got grease click happy and launched a second burst which caught an incoming hobgoblin AND his own party. lol
    Too funny! Anyway, it was all good and we got the bonus chest on the ledge, killed a few more wargs, and headed over to Whisperdoom. Our plans to have Jed aggro Whisperdoom and lure her away away while others stomped the eggs did not work, as Whisperdoom could not be hit and aggro could not be gained. So we ran around like chickens with our heads cut off but it worked, we were even able to loot the chest. Cadrod's dimesion door assisted our escape.

    All-in-all aother good night of fun and fellowship with STORM members.

    Vinnie's the greaser, not Cadrod. :P

  6. #226
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Vinnie's the greaser, not Cadrod. :P


    Oops, sorry! Thanks for the correction!



    Do I sense a new nickname for Vinnie? Sounds like a mafia enforcer.



    Yeah, you's guys better watch it. You's don't me to send Vinnie the Greaser to break your kneecaps, do ya?

  7. #227
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    28

    Default Vinnie the Greaser of Storm...

    Are you talkin' ta me? Are YOU talking ta me? Yous must be talking ta me. Ain't no udder Haflings heah.
    So.. yous think I'm cute? Cute how? Hunh?

    Little girl cute?
    Pretty pony cute?
    Like Tinkle Bell hunh?

    Whu? am I some kinda little pixie here ta sprinkle yous with my magic dust? Hunh? Punk?

    Com' ere!!

    [insert Joe Pesci with dual blades doing a Taz whirlwind]

  8. #228
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,934

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Zefjoque View Post
    Are you talkin' ta me? Are YOU talking ta me? Yous must be talking ta me. Ain't no udder Haflings heah.
    So.. yous think I'm cute? Cute how? Hunh?

    Little girl cute?
    Pretty pony cute?
    Like Tinkle Bell hunh?

    Whu? am I some kinda little pixie here ta sprinkle yous with my magic dust? Hunh? Punk?

    Com' ere!!

    [insert Joe Pesci with dual blades doing a Taz whirlwind]
    Too funny! lol

  9. #229
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,934

    Default Byoh

    Okay guys, let me know what you think of these ideas for healing, please keep in mind I would like to implement something generic that can last long term, so we don't have to keep modifying rules based on party make-up if we ever re-roll or start alternate groups.

    1. Any healing wands, scrolls, or potions found are allowed, and can be carried over from quest to quest. They do not count towards any magic level restrictions. This applies to any "cure" such as blindness, disease, curse, etc.

    2. Healing/cure items can be obtained from collectors provided you got the collectables from questing. No collectables (or rewards from collectables) allowed from outside sources such as AH or alts.

    3. Cure LIGHT wounds potions can be purchased as a "first aid" kit from potion vendors, and this is limited to 5 per character level, up to a maximum of 20 at level 4. Begining at level 5 you can purchase cure MODERATE potions in addition, maximum 1 per character level up to level 10. After maxing out at 20 cure lights and 10 cure moderates (by L10) that's it. So hopefully you have acquired some wands, scrolls, or potions along the way - or better yet have some divines in your group. NOTE - This is the maximum you can begin a night of questing with, if you have some left from the previous week, you must take them into account with regard to maximum allowed.

    4. If you happen to accumulate 400 favor for the Silver Flame, you may buy the potions they offer (200-400pp each). This should help offset a party that is melee heavy without divines, by the time you get the favor you will be running higher level quests. The 30 second duration of the penalties involved with using these potions (-10 all ability scores and effective -9 to all saves, also 50% slow with the more potent version) is balance against over-use, especially during a fight.

    Let me know what you think and I will update the rules recap post.

  10. #230
    Community Member Postumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SW Wheloon
    Posts
    6,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    Okay guys, let me know what you think of these ideas for healing, please keep in mind I would like to implement something generic that can last long term, so we don't have to keep modifying rules based on party make-up if we ever re-roll or start alternate groups.

    1. Any healing wands, scrolls, or potions found are allowed, and can be carried over from quest to quest. They do not count towards any magic level restrictions. This applies to any "cure" such as blindness, disease, curse, etc.

    Agree. Low level 'offensive' wands are practically useless on elite at this level, so I've been selling them anyway. The 'buff' wands have such short durations, that I seem to be burning through them in a single night anyway.


    Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    2. Healing/cure items can be obtained from collectors provided you got the collectables from questing. No collectables (or rewards from collectables) allowed from outside sources such as AH or alts.
    Agree. I think anything we find in a quest (collectible-wise) that can be turned in, should be allowed to be turned in. The drop rates are low enough that we are talking about 1-4 potions per night this way. I also like the old school feel that I'm rewarded for providing magical/rare ingredients to NPCs for a small reward.


    Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    3. Cure LIGHT wounds potions can be purchased as a "first aid" kit from potion vendors, and this is limited to 5 per character level, up to a maximum of 20 at level 4. Begining at level 5 you can purchase cure MODERATE potions in addition, maximum 1 per character level up to level 10. After maxing out at 20 cure lights and 10 cure moderates (by L10) that's it. So hopefully you have acquired some wands, scrolls, or potions along the way - or better yet have some divines in your group. NOTE - This is the maximum you can begin a night of questing with, if you have some left from the previous week, you must take them into account with regard to maximum allowed.

    I'm fine with that. I think I've been acquiring potions from drops at a faster rate than I've been using them. I'm fine with using CSW pots.


    Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    4. If you happen to accumulate 400 favor for the Silver Flame, you may buy the potions they offer (200-400pp each). This should help offset a party that is melee heavy without divines, by the time you get the favor you will be running higher level quests. The 30 second duration of the penalties involved with using these potions (-10 all ability scores and effective -9 to all saves, also 50% slow with the more potent version) is balance against over-use, especially during a fight.

    Let me know what you think and I will update the rules recap post.

    I'm fine with the SF pots. They come with a HEFTY penalty, but if we get 400 SF favor, we've certainly earned the right to use them.

  11. #231
    Community Member Postumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SW Wheloon
    Posts
    6,867

    Default

    Can't make it Sunday. Father's Day stuff and I probably won't be able to log on until after you East Coasters have long gone to bed.

    I don't mind if you do more Tangleroot (or any quest/quest chains you want). Please don't feel like you need to hold off on any quests for my sake, I can catch up later Sunday night np. Send Cadrod an in game email or post what you ran here.

    Have fun!

  12. #232
    Community Member LeadHeros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The state I'm in is Improving
    Posts
    50

    Default I'm back and sunburned...

    Should be able to make it tonight; congrats on saving the Bookbinders.
    No Char left behind; original join date, Oct 2010

  13. #233
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,934

    Default The Sacred Helm

    Last night only three members of STORM were present. Narcene, Vinnie, and Jedial. Cadrod the Bard and Percy the Cleric were unable to participate due to real life obligations.

    Let me start by saying we realized just how important EVERY member of STORM is to the success of our adventures. We have noted many times in the past how much we miss our trapper(s) when they are not present. Well tonight we realized just how much we have taken our Healer and Bard for granted. Oh, we knew we would miss them, as we enjoy the buffs (and high kill count) our bard provides and the heals our Cleric tosses on us before we even notice our health was low. However, last night we actually felt what it was like to miss them. The success of our little group depends on each one playing his part. We can skate by without one member if we need to, with the obvious increase in difficulty. But with two missing it really is tough!

    So with two members missing, we decided to do stand alone quests rather than continue the Tangleroot chain. Our first attempt was "The Swiped Signet" on elite. We made decent progress, but realized we were using up a lot of our resources in each battle. The traps were not an issue, Narcene was more than up to the task. With some patience and difficulty we did mange to clear the room with the Quickfoot Warforged Mercenaries and all the other Quickfoot baddies peppering us with arrows from far away ledges. It took it's toll on us though by using up many of our hams, lay on hands, etc. Once we opened the door to the next area, both Narcene and Vinnie were overcome by the Quickfoots (Quickfeet?) waiting on the other side. Jedial survived this encounter without too much damage, but as his LOH were depleted and his blue bar low (only enough for a couple more cure lights) it was unlikely he could have finished the quest successfully alone. Even if he was able, it would have left two players sitting around twiddling their thumbs for another 30 minutes, so we decided to abandon this quest, heal up, and try something else.

    Again, we did not want to do a quest in a chain with two members missing, so we decided that the stand alone quest "The Sacred Helm" in Shan-to-Kor would be a good one. Again, we entered on elite. We actually had some very close calls a couple of times, but through careful mob-management (using bluff and the occasional arrow to lure one away from the group at a time) we prevailed. Hobgoblin clerics were the real threat here, and in most cases were able to kill them before they could get off a flame strike or hold person (though not EVERY time).

    Next rank for Jedial (about 6k xp away) will grant him the 4th action point needed to pick up the enhancement "Undying Call". It means putting Hunter of the Dead off until middle of level 7, but will give us someone with the ability to raise dead in our group! Yay! Then all we need to do is make sure the paladin stays alive...

  14. #234
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,934

    Default Updated Rules Post

    STORM - based on input both here and in-game, I updated some of the gray (actually red) areas of the Rules Recap. Basically added Drow to the allowed races and clarified the BYOH.

  15. #235
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,934

    Default Sunday - 23rd

    Jedial will not be able to make it this weekend guys, sorry. Someone post the night's adventures, I'll be looking forward to reading about it.

  16. #236
    Community Member Postumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SW Wheloon
    Posts
    6,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    Jedial will not be able to make it this weekend guys, sorry. Someone post the night's adventures, I'll be looking forward to reading about it.

    Right now Cadrod is 50-50. He's attending the air guitar championships in Faerun this weekend and he may not return until after Storm's appointed play time.

  17. #237
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,934

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Right now Cadrod is 50-50. He's attending the air guitar championships in Faerun this weekend and he may not return until after Storm's appointed play time.
    Well if you can't make it, who is gonna help Percy herd the halflings? That's like letting grandpa take a couple of 7 year old kids to an amusement park!

  18. #238
    Community Member LeadHeros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The state I'm in is Improving
    Posts
    50

    Default Our bard's excuse...

    Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    air guitar championships in Faerun this weekend
    I tried /airguitar and it said 'Unknown Command'.

    Vinnie and The Narc were the only 2 to show on Sunday evening. All 1/2ling FTW. Chillin in the Bogwater, we heard Lady Nepethe's tale of woe and were determined to champion her cause. We could only start on Normal but it was a fair fit for our ability. A typical battle would open with Narcene attacking with a bow and Vinnie stealthed to attack as the skeletons and zombies shuffled by. The few that lived past her were dispatched by Narc, as she switched to her blade. Nearly the full allotment of hams were consumed and there were a few close moments but Storm prevailed. The rest of the evening was spent traveling around Searing Heights. With both adventurers bluffing; few of the melee foes could get a swing in. The casters were quite a different story; we had sufficient reserve to last each attack, but once around and we were spent.
    No Char left behind; original join date, Oct 2010

  19. #239
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    28

    Default La Storma Nostra...

    Vinnie the Greaser and da Narc. Youz betta knows who youz dealing wit'. Capiche? Kneecaps are easy for us to reach. Batta-bing!
    Last edited by Zefjoque; 06-25-2013 at 08:42 PM.

  20. #240
    Community Member Fedora1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeadHeros View Post
    Vinnie and The Narc were the only 2 to show on Sunday evening.
    No Percy?

    Hopefully we'll have all five of us this weekend. Jedial is real close to getting Raise Dead via Undying Call!

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload