Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Faerd's opinion is that the harbor quests were too easy, to the point of being zero challenge. Neither the ogre in ringleader nor the lightning bolt throwing shamans in butcher's path were a serious threat to this group. The only time the group encountered serious obstacles was when the trapper (i.e. me) didn't show up on game night.

This is a DDO flavor group.

Finished Catacombs chain on elite with Cadrod, Percy, Vinegarune, and Narcene. Cadrod and Percy were killed by Marguerite at the end of Patriarch's Crypt. Endgame: Marguerite was a challenge with several players becoming incapacitated at some point, but we finished without any deaths.

Endgame:Archbishop's fate on elite was a piece of cake compared to the previous quest. A simple bit of tactics and we were able to draw the wraith behind the stairs and finish him off fairly quickly. Cadrod was pretty happy to receive a Blade of Inquisition as an end reward from the Friar. It is his best item since Korthos even though he usually uses two-handed weapons.

Ended the night with Redfang the Unruled on elite. Percy was killed by a scorpion near the end, but Vinegarune did a great job with the traps and we only had to run through one fire jet that could not be disabled.

Group still at level four but very close to leveling. Hopefully our zerging Paladin will be back next week to help absorb the punishment. I'm sure Percy would appreciate it.

Default Deaths and red face on the Cleric.

I don't feel too bad about Maggie taking Percy down in Catacombs. He was stuck running slow when she flew fast!

I do feel bad about Percy's death-by-Scorpion in Redfang. He was so wrapped up in bashing the skittery critter, he forgot to heal himself! That death was quite avoidable.

I had a good time anyway. You guys are fun!

-Sam

Community Member

(Faerd) I won't be offended if you find another player for my spot. My ability to join this team on Sunday nights is probably going to worsen as the summer weeks arrive.

Default New direction for Narcene?

I can start a char at level 4; and using my original starting stats, I could become the trap monkey, and let Vin concentrate on being the psyco. Oh, I would also be a sneaky killer.
    No Char left behind; original join date, Oct 2010

Works for me if it works for Vin - who has been doing a great job with the traps so far. Is he even using an 'admin' item for that? Or just the gear we've found along the way?

No reason you can't go rogue/ranger, you'll still have plenty of skill points for trapping even if you have to level evenly across the classes. As an elf you could even go full rogue but still use a bow and get the AA pre.

Default Brogue???

At first I was going to use my familiar halfass (halfling assassin) build, but your comment about elf got me thinking; would a bow rogue work? For some reason, I don't like crossbows so here is a new direction. A big unknown for me is, does assassinate work with a bow? I'll be in front of the party, scouting for traps and would have to drop back during combat. An advantage is I'd only need 1 good weapon. A split ranger/rogue would not advance the disable/open locks as fast and with our gear restrictions, it would be tough to advance those skills without stat boosts, best gear and tools. Put the level 4 ability increase in Str but could also go in Int.

A look at DDO shows melee only for assassinate.

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.14.02
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Narcene Brogue
    Level 6 Neutral Good Halfling Female
    (6 Rogue) 
    Hit Points: 62
    Spell Points: 0 
    BAB: 4\4
    Fortitude: 4
    Reflex: 9
    Will: 3

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 6)
    Strength             12                    13
    Dexterity            15                    16
    Constitution         13                    13
    Intelligence         15                    15
    Wisdom               10                    10
    Charisma             10                    10

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 6)
    Balance               5                    11
    Bluff                 4                    11
    Concentration         1                     1
    Diplomacy             0                     0
    Disable Device        6                    12
    Haggle                0                     0
    Heal                  0                     0
    Hide                  6                    20
    Intimidate            0                     0
    Jump                  5                    12
    Listen                0                     2
    Move Silently         6                    18
    Open Lock             6                    12
    Perform               n/a                   n/a
    Repair                2                     2
    Search                6                    11
    Spot                  4                    10
    Swim                  1                     1
    Tumble                3                     4
    Use Magic Device      4                     9

Level 1 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Point Blank Shot

Level 2 (Rogue)

Level 3 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Precise Shot

Level 4 (Rogue)

Level 5 (Rogue)

Level 6 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Precision
    Enhancement: Rogue Damage Boost I
    Enhancement: Rogue Damage Boost II
    Enhancement: Rogue Skill Boost I
    Enhancement: Rogue Skill Boost II
    Enhancement: Rogue Subtle Backstabbing I
    Enhancement: Rogue Assassin I
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy I
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training I
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training II
    Enhancement: Improved Disable Device I
    Enhancement: Improved Hide I
    Enhancement: Improved Hide II
    Enhancement: Improved Move Silently I
    Enhancement: Improved Move Silently II
    Enhancement: Improved Spot I
    Enhancement: Rogue Dexterity I
    Last edited by LeadHeros; 05-09-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Guys - this is Fedora/Jedial. This is the first time I have been able to log in to the forums since they changed. I had to jump through hoops to even get this to work with a new account.

I can't log in no matter what with my original forum account (Fedora). I refuse to log in with my actual game account for security reasons (I used a last name/first intitial that is also my email address), and actually until I called support for a stupid trick-workaround involving changing my account information to say I am from Canada I couldn't even if I wanted to. So I finally had to create this Fedora1 account (also from Canada but not really).

Anyway, I am sorry I missed last Sunday night. I think it just slipped by me, because I don't recall a particular reason for missing. I just realized yesterday that I had missed it. lol

So how much XP does everyone have on average? I can try and catch up before Sunday night.

Default Magic and D&D on DDO

Intruder - I am happy to go any which way and any rules with the magic. TBH my motive is more to have a static group of fun people than it is to simulate D&D.

However, I will say that a few thoughts occurred to me recently. I never played with v3.0 or 3.5 rules, just the original AD&D after trying D&D Basic for a few months, so I can't speak to the rolling of a 1d10 for magic or the % chance of minor/moderate/major items etc. That did not exist in AD&D as far as I can recall, it was pretty open ended and the DM made the call.

So with that in mind, here is (IMO) what would more or less simulate the flavor of AD&D based on my experience, translated to DDO. Any potion, scroll, wand is allowed. Armor/weapons with any "plus" (+) are allowed - no limit except encumberance. No other DDO magic items allowed that have prefixes/suffixes except "flaming" or elemental "touch", and vorpal. One could make a case for either slicing (1d4) or bleeding (1d8) because there was a Sword of Sharpness in AD&D. Finally, any and all "named" items would be allowed, but the party could not have duplicates. So one person in the group could have a "Sword of Inquisition", but only that one person, no more. Unique is unique. I could be missing stuff but that's kind of where my thinking has been.

Percy has 86,385 XP. Almost to Level Five.

[QUOTE=Fedora1;4999695]Intruder - I am happy to go any which way and any rules with the magic. TBH my motive is more to have a static group of fun people than it is to simulate D&D.

However, I will say that a few thoughts occurred to me recently. I never played with v3.0 or 3.5 rules, just the original AD&D after trying D&D Basic for a few months, so I can't speak to the rolling of a 1d10 for magic or the % chance of minor/moderate/major items etc. That did not exist in AD&D as far as I can recall, it was pretty open ended and the DM made the call.[QUOTE]

I think he is trying to simulate the random treasure tables in the backs of the AD&D DM's guide. I think there will always be trouble trying to simulate PnP because so much of it was decision by fiat of the DM. Anyone who ever played D&D only using random rolls for stats, treasure, encounters, etc for everything found out quickly that you needed the DM factor to keep the story going or in a particular direction since running everything simply by dice rolls could result in unexpected party wipes to obtaining overpowered gear that could destroy a campaign quite quickly.

Actually I think DDO is as close to playing a DnD campaign strictly by die rolls, it's just that we can re-run quests and eventually learn how to meta-game enough to maximize our chances within the game parameters. And yes, I do agree the loot tables are bit overpowered right now, but I'd rather too much drop and decide not to use it than the way it was three years ago when it seemed like the only at level loot that dropped was unusable garbage. If you wanted a good L6 item, you had to pull it from a L9 quest chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    So with that in mind, here is (IMO) what would more or less simulate the flavor of AD&D based on my experience, translated to DDO. Any potion, scroll, wand is allowed. Armor/weapons with any "plus" (+) are allowed - no limit except encumberance.
    I agree with this. I think vanilla +3 weapons or armor without effects are very weak in the DDO game context. Especially if you understand how AC and to hit work in DDO now. So I think the ML restriction and encumberance limits works well enough for those items.

I think any potions, scrolls, and wands we find should be allowed to be used and kept from session to session. I do not think we should be able to purchase any pots, scrolls, wands, armor, weapons, or gear of any kind, including 'admin' items, from any vendors except for ammunition and masterwork gear. I disagree with Intruder1 regarding admin items and I do not see them as necessary since what we need will eventually drop.

No other DDO magic items allowed that have prefixes/suffixes except "flaming" or elemental "touch", and vorpal.
    I strongly disagree with this. There are certain effects I think we will absolutely need in order to be successful later on for breaking damage reduction (e.g. holy/pure good, chaotic, ghost touch), as well as being able to deal with the tougher bosses out there. For random loot I don't see any effects usable at level (unless someone get INCREDIBLY lucky and pulls a holy burst of lacerating - good luck) that are overpowering if we use our potential X level system (2.5 Xchar level) AND limit the number of weapons we can actually carry.

If we want to simulate PnP, then having a golf-bag full of weapons should be the first thing to go. One main weapon any size , one one-handed alternate of any size, (includes a short bow or light xbow), and one or two small alternates (light weapon or thrower) sounds about right.

Secondly, I think each player should only get ONE article of gear for each non-armor/weapon equip slot. So ONE pair of gloves, ONE cloak, ONE set of boots, etc.

Finally, any and all "named" items would be allowed, but the party could not have duplicates. So one person in the group could have a "Sword of Inquisition", but only that one person, no more. Unique is unique. I could be missing stuff but that's kind of where my thinking has been.

I like this idea also. It makes named items feel more special and unique.

So how much XP does everyone have on average? I can try and catch up before Sunday night.
    Cadrod is banking level five, just waiting on everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus
    I strongly disagree with this. There are certain effects I think we will absolutely need in order to be successful later on for breaking damage reduction (e.g. holy/pure good, chaotic, ghost touch), as well as being able to deal with the tougher bosses out there.
    I wasn't talking "need", I was simply stating what would simulate AD&D. There were no "frost", "ghost touch", "lacerating", "screaming", etc. items in the game. I remember a flaming sword and some items that added a single point of elemental damage, hence cold touch or whatever. I could just have a bad memory though.

Okay finished out the last three quests of the Catacombs chain to catch up, I just hit level 5 but did not visit the trainer yet.

Was hoping for a nice end reward, but it was all junk. Picked a set of blindness ward goggles, because they were ML1. Probably won't use them any time soon though.

Community Member

Guys, It had become clear to the 1.5 group early on that if you insist on Elite Difficulty, ML 2.5 is going to be your Minimum.
    As you progress, it will become just too hard.

I kinda figured your priority would be to play DDO with a "fun" static group over Classic D&D. I knew if that wasn't the case, one or more would have observed the playstyle and suggested it was too DDO.
    Those that prefered Classic would drop out.

Your group is for the benefit of it's players. If it evolves into DDO, it's what you want.
    As long as you're having fun!

Good run on Sunday despite the very late start. No deaths (Narcene's oddball ooze encounter while waiting for the others to enter the quest doesn't count ), and despite one of the longest quests in the chain, Cadrod didn't have to use a single pot or ham.

Percy is doing a really nice job with spell point conservation and it definitely helps now that Jedial can now cast CLW as well. Even with dungeon scaling, I thought is was noticeably easier with Jedial back hacking away at everything that moves. I'm really looking forward to finishing WW and moving on to the really fun stuff.

Any idea where we are headed next? Shan-to-Kor? Tangleroot? Sharn? Phiarlin Carnival?

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Any idea where we are headed next? Shan-to-Kor? Tangleroot? Sharn? Phiarlin Carnival?
    We need to finish the last quest in Finding Arlos, correct?

After that I'm for anything except Carnival - never liked that series. Maybe it will be more fun in a group than it is on solo.

Grrrr... Can't edit my own post, all it does is hourglass and spin...

Anyway, I see you mentioned "finishing Water Works" - I missed that in my reply.

Default Agree about Carnival...

Not sure why but never liked it; don't have the pack. Sharn is good; Tangle is good. Clearing the air would be interesting because of the time limit.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHeros View Post
    Sharn is good; Tangle is good.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHeros View Post
    Clearing the air would be interesting because of the time limit.
    All I heard you say was "Permission to zerg Jed!"

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast