Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Default Tactics

All right, all right. You all think Jedial made a mistake, eh?

Well truth is I was using TACTICS. Yes, TACTICS with a capital T.

I was going to be your Ghost Scout to tell you what was up ahead and around corners for the rest of the quest.

(Nods to other ghost scout of the night).

Quote Originally Posted by Fricko View Post
    Who needs the Godly Ship Buffs, we have Percy's divinely blessed BEER!

However, Blessed Beer will not work under the following circumstances....
    It's kind of like taking a bunch of school kids on a field trip, isn't it?

I ran a Boy Scout Troop for almost 20 years, but there was a big difference.

As Scoutmaster, I was the adult in the room.

With you guys, I ain't!

Quote Originally Posted by zefjoe View Post
    Since I and V had a front row seat and nothing to distract us, being already melted to a slag and all, we think Jed just mistimed the end of the burst and it's effect range. You know how the spray just peters out. Jed inched forward as it did, probably thinking the effect was over, and caught the tail end of it. Lesson learned - even on lowbie quests the dev's have stacked the deck as far as trap damage - one shot kills for those without SHIP BUFFS. 'Cause they assume that the lowest common denominator, a level 3 moron, will have joined the first Guild to ask and have access to SHIP BUFFS of the GODS to make his crappy level 3 character into a HEROIC ICON OF POWER, power... power. [echo effect of the Gods].
    I blame Percy. He could have cast resist acid on all of you, but didn't. LOL.

JK
    Last edited by Postumus; 04-16-2013 at 04:53 PM.

I remember seeing a Reflex save pop up above V's head before the ding. I don't know if she saved twice or just once before that. She has 74 HP's and if she saved for half damage - even on two saves, well hells bells, that Elite trap was kickin it.

Community Member

Wow!

I seem to remember the first team doing all these adventures last spring.....ON ELITE........with HALF (or less) the MAGIC ITEMS YOU GUYS ARE USING.........

Possibly....just possibly.....you're using tactics that are better suited to DDO than THAC0.
    The Minimum Level Magic System just MIGHT be too loose and you're feeling a bit "Uber"?

I originally suggested no more than 2 per level (even 1.5 per level), but some suggested it needed to be more.

What do you think now?

Default By George I have it... George!

HA!
    Percy can Summon a critter in a trap to set if off!

Ahh thahnk yu...

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    Wow!

I seem to remember the first team doing all these adventures last spring.....ON ELITE........with HALF (or less) the MAGIC ITEMS YOU GUYS ARE USING.........

Possibly....just possibly.....you're using tactics that are better suited to DDO than THAC0.
    The Minimum Level Magic System just MIGHT be too loose and you're feeling a bit "Uber"?

I originally suggested no more than 2 per level (even 1.5 per level), but some suggested it needed to be more.

What do you think now?

The number of magic items has nothing to do with people accidentally standing too close to an acid trap when it went off. There could be zero items per level and the same thing would have happened.

Wow!

I seem to remember the first team doing all these adventures last spring.....ON ELITE........with HALF (or less) the MAGIC ITEMS YOU GUYS ARE USING.........?
    As I recall you had a rogue with an administrative spot/search gift. We did not. Our only rogue that night had no trapping/spotting skills. He is specc'ed for assassinating. And using your "potential" magic system, with the free Korthos set, I would have been using a regular great axe instead of a +1 Great Sword of Maiming. Doubt the outcome would be any different.

We rocked in Durk's and Butcher's. It's only our fourth night together as a group so we are still figuring this out.

Community Member

You're correct. Don't misjudge my intention.

If I offer an view, it's just to cause you to double check your facts.
    If the facts are sound, then dismiss the view and move on.

Just trying to help.

You're correct. Don't misjudge my intention.
    The ALL CAPS made it look like you were gloating.

Just trying to help.
    It's all good. I have very much enjoyed the experiement and the company of everyone involved. Always glad to have you pop in on Sunday nights with us.

I can't tell an acid spray trap from a poison spray trap before it causes damage. Can you?

I can't determine what sort of resistance to cast until the trap is sprung.

While I often fail at the task, I really do try to play as if I don't remember where traps are, or what sort they are.

Okay, full disclosure - this is to disguise the fact that I really can't remember where things like traps and secret doors are most of the time, or what the traps consist of, even if I have done the quest dozens of times!

Growing old is such an adventure! I curse... er... wish a long "adventurous" old age on each of you!

I will try that conjured-pet-in-the-trap thingy ASAP.

Now that Percy's role as the party fall guy is out in the open, I need to begin planning on how to be most effective in that job. *rubs gnarled hands and sniggles wickedly*

Now that Percy's role as the party fall guy is out in the open, I need to begin planning on how to be most effective in that job. *rubs gnarled hands and sniggles wickedly*
    No need to be hard on yourself. You're doing fine and we'll all get better in our chosen roles as we progress.

And if you don't we'll just replace you with a hireling. <<------- Highlight wih mouse for secret message.

Default New Character?

A dedicated rogue is something that Storm needs; and a split class rogue will probably be in serious trouble in a few levels. My favorite class is rogue and I'd be perfectly happy to redo Narc as a one.

I was the 'other' death in WW. Just crouching to close to the door when Vin ran through.

For those Thaco's who are interested in SDK, my 'normal' guild, I'll help you get set tonight before questing if you want.

Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora View Post
    And if you don't we'll just replace you with a hireling. <<------- Highlight wih mouse for secret message.
    Now THAT'S FUNNY!!

I can't tell an acid spray trap from a poison spray trap before it causes damage. Can you?
    Easy! If you watch Cadrod the poison traps are the ones he runs through, the acid traps are the ones he lets others run through.

In all seriousness that 10 acid resistance probably wouldn't have helped a whole lot on elite.

We just need to slow down (although you and I are always in the back so I don't think we can get much slower) and try to remember that most (probably 90%) of the traps designed by Eberron monsters can be bypassed without having to disarm them. That doesn't mean we won't have the occasional death, but then you can't make an omelette without dousing three-fifths of the party in acid now and again.

I'm confident that we will react just like a regular PnP group from this mishap. We return to Stormreach, rest, regroup, and go again with different tactics. I have no doubt we'll persevere next Sunday and get our revenge on those stinking Kobolds.

Tonight my PD group (level 4) finished the Catacombs chain on elite without any deaths. We are low magic (not as low as THACO) and although we use the rest shrines, there isn't any room for mistakes at low levels. You die before someone can cast raise dead, you re-roll. Period. We compensate for lack of power with tactics and team play. Basically the way our Storm group was playing during Butcher's Path. As players grow more comfortable with their classes and roles, and as they learn how their comrades play, we'll be a more cohesive unit and silly mistakes like half the party dying in a static acid trap will be a thing of the past.

Although I have to admit, I thought it was pretty funny at the time. Actually Cadrod and Percy are still probably laughing about it back at the tavern.
    Last edited by Postumus; 04-18-2013 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Although I have to admit, I thought it was pretty funny at the time. Actually Cadrod and Percy are still probably laughing about it back at the tavern.
    Someone did say, as we were forming the group, that if we don't have a rogue to find traps it would be up to the paladin to find them.

Ran the first three (four?) Catacombs quests on elite and all went pretty smoothly. No deaths and Vinegarune was doing a great job with the traps. Probably got 80% of them overall which is impressive considering the gear restrictions.

Looking forward to next week.

Community Member

Faerd here...apologies for missing again. Seems I was optimistic about being available consistently for Sunday nights. Feel free to plan another rogue for the trapper role.

Community Member

I'd like to know how this group feels about their 2.5 x ML rule after playing a few weeks.
    Try to speak objectively......
    Is it in the spirit of Classic D&D or is it Ebberon DDO, just with a limit.

I understand that in order to play at Elite Difficulty, you HAVE to gear, but in doing so, do you defeat the original theme of this (these) groups?

The other group is still using the potential system, and after examining the loadouts, it resembles 1.5 x ML.

Also, on Mondays, I participate in a group that has just a couple rules.....
    No Shrines.
    ALL End rewards are sold immediately, no exections.
    Before ANY chest is opened, one person must roll a "1" using d10 in party chat.
    Failure means any EQUIPABLE items in the chest MUST remain in the chest. They are considered not even being there.
    Anything else found in a Quest is OK to keep, no matter what it is.

No buying of anything outside of a Quest except NORMAL consumables and NORMAL arms and Armor.

Oh....one last thing.....all quests are "at level" at Normal Difficulty.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast