Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    Questions.......
    Doing Korthos Quests, is it more "Classic" to bring a First Aid Kit, or Exit the Dungeon to Heal?
    What differences in playstyle are you using?
    At Quest completion, do you find your way out or Recall?
    Has everyone switched the Treasure Focus away from Class Specific in order to receive a more random result?
    The consensus of the group was to use whatever healing potions we found [we are ransacking - we don't think the drops will provide any overpowering items] , the Normal Rations and Wands if we chose. With all of us having, or will have, some healing capability, a large supply of healing pots for first aid will be redundant.

We still find our way out if the route back is do-able.

I don't know about the others, but I have always had Random drop for loot choice. You never know what cool thing you'll get!

Default Faux-Medicated Percy MIA

I am so sorry for missing our first adventure. A dispute between Healthcare Company and Medicare required me to stop taking a brand name medication that worked very well and try a new generic one that left me with a very disorganized and rambling (yes, worse than normal!) mind.

It was Monday before I realized I had lost Saturday (dinner at Mom's) and Sunday in the tall weeds of organizational chaos.

Perhaps Percy would have pondered ponderously on the perplexities of prone pardners, and performed perfectly as the party paramedic.

With a dedicated Cleric watching over you all, maybe staying alive will not be such a problem... although with my head running the Cleric from behind the keyboard, maybe you still need to watch your HP bars!

-Sam

You guys have your own group and even though you're in the THAC0 guild, you can choose the way you want to play.
    When questions come up, so far we have deferred to original THAC0 guidelines unless everyone agrees otherwise. I think, as mentioned, breakables are okay for us. Also, we all hit level 2 after the Collaborator quest, so we leveled up before heading to the wilderness area. As I understand it, you usually wait until the end of the night.

I expect that if you play a different style, each player will decide wether to stay in the group to play.
    Players in a specific group are expected to adhere to that groups Guidelines.

I WOULD like to see discusions about how you made out and issues with playstyles so I can compare.
    We will be sure to post any differences, but I think we are planning to keep them to a minimum. You know what they say about an inch and a mile... We don't want to change anything unless there is really a good reason for it. We all have other characters we can uber-ize. No need to bring that mentality into THAC0-STORM.

Doing Korthos Quests, is it more "Classic" to bring a First Aid Kit, or Exit the Dungeon to Heal?
    Aside from wanting to stabilize an incapacitated party member and realizing we had no heal kits, it was not an issue. A couple folks had cure light wounds spells, and with a few starter potions of heal light wounds there was no need to exit a quest to recover.

What differences in playstyle are you using?
    I think the breakables/ransack was the only real difference so far.

At Quest completion, do you find your way out or Recall?
    Walk out like we came in if it is possible.

Has everyone switched the Treasure Focus away from Class Specific in order to receive a more random result?
    It was not discussed, mine is probably set at the default.

Quote Originally Posted by Fricko View Post
    I am so sorry for missing our first adventure. A dispute between Healthcare Company and Medicare required me to stop taking a brand name medication that worked very well and try a new generic one that left me with a very disorganized and rambling (yes, worse than normal!) mind.

It was Monday before I realized I had lost Saturday (dinner at Mom's) and Sunday in the tall weeds of organizational chaos.

Perhaps Percy would have pondered ponderously on the perplexities of prone pardners, and performed perfectly as the party paramedic.

With a dedicated Cleric watching over you all, maybe staying alive will not be such a problem... although with my head running the Cleric from behind the keyboard, maybe you still need to watch your HP bars!

-Sam
    Well I hope you are feeling better ( ) and are able to work things out with your meds.

If you get a chance, go ahead and run the Korthos town quests, Stopping the Sahuagin, Redemption, and Necromancer's Doom. We will pick up this weekend with Sacrifices and Misery' Peak. I can create a toon to help you out (and then delete it) if you want someone to run them with. Just let me know when. We did a couple on hard until we realized it was not challenging us, then the rest on elite.

Default Sunday Night - 3-31

Is everyone good with this Sunday? Shall we meet at 7:30PM or 8PM?

LeadHero (aka Narcene) can't make it due to a r/l commitment.

Percy will be in game around 7 - 8 PM if Olladra is willing, and the creek don't rise. (if we get home as scheduled.)

Percy will be in game around 7 - 8 PM if Olladra is willing, and the creek don't rise. (if we get home as scheduled.)
    Excellent! Have you caught up on those quests? We are all level 2 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora View Post

Aside from wanting to stabilize an incapacitated party member and realizing we had no heal kits, it was not an issue. A couple folks had cure light wounds spells, and with a few starter potions of heal light wounds there was no need to exit a quest to recover.

I didn't even think to buy heal pots until the end of the night. I think I pulled three or four and used those in quest. Frankly I don't think buying stacks of healing pots is 'necessary' per se at such low levels, but I have no problem with it. I know that hams aren't going to cut it when we hit level 6 and above stuff once the spell points run out.

Just to clear something up, my understanding is that we can use whatever we find 'in quest' but after the quest we have to reset to our max allowable allotment of magic items? Is this correct? Or do we reset at the and of each play session?

With Narcene out, I think we better to stick to quests that don't have many traps. Shouldn't be a problem. I should be able to make it by 7:30 since we are doing the Easter stuff early.

Regarding players who missed/miss play sessions, rather than requiring them to 'catch up' before the next session, I propose that we allow up to a two level difference between the highest level and lowest level party members. That way missing one week (or even two) won't require someone to solo his character. I see no reason why everyone in the party has to be the same level as long as they aren't piking for xps (which I don't see happening in this group).

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Just to clear something up, my understanding is that we can use whatever we find 'in quest' but after the quest we have to reset to our max allowable allotment of magic items? Is this correct?
    Yes, this is correct. Kind of hard (IMO) to rid your inventory of excess items between quests, otherwise everyone would need time to hit the bank and/or vendors after each quest. Especially in Korthos I don't see this as practical. I think as long as the honor system prevails, and you only use/equip what is allowable during the quest, it would be okay if you still had extras in the inventory. Maybe Tukcc and the others disagree?

With Narcene out, I think we better to stick to quests that don't have many traps. Shouldn't be a problem.
    Yeah, the plan is to do Sacrifices and Misery Peak. I think there is one trap in Sacrifices, none in MP. So even though our "characters" aren't aware of that, at least we aren't "changing" our plans based on knowledge the characters would not have.

I should be able to make it by 7:30 since we are doing the Easter stuff early.
    Cool. I'm planning on logging in around 7:30PM and if everyone is there we can start. I'm cool with waiting until 8PM to start though if someone can't make it before then.

Regarding players who missed/miss play sessions, rather than requiring them to 'catch up' before the next session, I propose that we allow up to a two level difference between the highest level and lowest level party members. That way missing one week (or even two) won't require someone to solo his character. I see no reason why everyone in the party has to be the same level as long as they aren't piking for xps (which I don't see happening in this group).
    Sure, I don't see an issue with this either. However, if it were me (that missed a night) I'd probably want to solo the quests to catch up. Solo play is what I am used to anyway. If others would rather not, I'm okay with that too.
    Last edited by Fedora; 03-30-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Community Member

Sure, I don't see an issue with this either. However, if it were me (that missed a night) I'd probably want to solo the quests to catch up. Solo play is what I am used to anyway. If others would rather not, I'm okay with that too.
    Keeping all characters at same level was to eliminate that variable from the "balance formula" figuring out what quests were viable.
    Since we are a static group, feel free to experiment with differing levels. I suspect not all of you will be able to spend "solo" time with life and family issues.

Default Percy presents himself....

=

Percivull, Friar of the Storm is currently level two, with 13,906 XP due to running the Korthos quests on Elite. He is "caught up" with everyone on the quests, and ready to take on Sacrifices and Misrey's Peak.

"Percy" has 44 Hit points, and 223 Divine Spell Points. He will bring the spells Heal Light Wounds, Nimbus of Light, Command, and Summon Monster I, although he will accept suggestions from others who might offer them. He also has the ability to Turn Undead (four attempts).

Your elderly balding and bearded worshiper of Olladera is wearing unremarkable heavy plate armor, and has a heavy crossbow, a thin quiver of bolts, a wooden club, a longsword, and a heavy steel shield, all recently acquired from the Hammer and Chain.

He owns a artificer enhanced Ember Heavy Mace gifted to him by Cellimas for services rendered (the mace being his weapon of choice), and a hat that helps his charasmatic appeal a bit. Due to his recent purchases in the Hammer and Chain, his coin purse is quite light in weight, and he is eager to see it re-filled.

=

=

Percivull, Friar of the Storm is currently level two, with 13,906 XP due to running the Korthos quests on Elite. He is "caught up" with everyone on the quests, and ready to take on Sacrifices and Misrey's Peak.

"Percy" has 44 Hit points, and 223 Divine Spell Points. He will bring the spells Heal Light Wounds, Nimbus of Light, Command, and Summon Monster I, although he will accept suggestions from others who might offer them. He also has the ability to Turn Undead (four attempts).

Your elderly balding and bearded worshiper of Olladera is wearing unremarkable heavy plate armor, and has a heavy crossbow, a thin quiver of bolts, a wooden club, a longsword, and a heavy steel shield, all recently acquired from the Hammer and Chain.

He owns a artificer enhanced Ember Heavy Mace gifted to him by Cellimas for services rendered (the mace being his weapon of choice), and a hat that helps his charasmatic appeal a bit. Due to his recent purchases in the Hammer and Chain, his coin purse is quite light in weight, and he is eager to see it re-filled.

=
    Jedial, Sentinel of Storm, is honored to have the old Friar joining us. We will certainly miss our little halfling, Narcene, tonight.

Default After Action Report I

=

With Misery's Peak behind us, everyone proudly wearing their Korthos Set, and now settled into the Leaky Dinghy as the new base of operations, Percy is able to relax over a foaming tankard, knowing he is in good and capable company.

Aliaz the Bard was a bit of a fun surprise, arriving unexpectedly to fill in for the missing Narcene the Ranger. We all had a good time guessing Aliaz's true identity, and I fear my attempt at tricking him/her/it failed miserably. I still do not know! *Face/palm*

Percy surprised me with more Mace and Shield melee fighting (effective!) than planned, more crossbow work (effective!) than planned, and managing spell points so he came out of each quest with an excess. He was able to use Turn Undead (4 total) to assist Cadrod with his Spell Point total on a number of occations, and will soon add another to that total. Surely, Olladra blessed us all this night. No one died!

Considering that we are just starting out, I would suggest that early indicators are clear... we are going to be quite a forminable party for our evil opponents to face in combat!

I had a great time, and hope the rest of you guys did as well. I'm really looking forward to next week already!

-Sam

=

Default Likewise

Yes, another fun night! Guys forgive me if I am not used to taking turns talking on the mic in party chat. I will try and shut up more so I don't end up talking over everyone. It will take some practice on my part and patience on your part.

I was surprised (pleasantly) that a few slips on the icy cliffs inside Misery did not kill anyone. We got split up as a party more than once due to falls, and ice spiders attacked in large droves. In fairness, most slips were due to lag issues where you go to change directions a little, and lag kicks in, when the lag lets up you are facing 90 degrees from what you thought and swoosh off you go into the wild blue yonder!

I am impressed with the close watch our healers keep on the party. Had a great time watching Cadrod, our bard, stun opponents with his spells. Also loved when "Trip" works, which it did about 80% of the time I remembered to use it.

Missing from our party was someone with trapping skills. Not a big deal on Korthos, but could be dangerous as we advance on to harder quests.

============

Jedial is not a prude, but he does abstain from "adult" beverages. Fortunately, he is naturally good at winning friends and influencing people, so the barmaid in the Leaky Dinghy was more than happy to bring him a steaming mug of hot water with his Potato Soup and bread. He added in a mixture of leaves and roots his elven friends gave him before leaving his home to make a soothing tea, to which he added a large helping of honey. The atmosphere inside was causing his tense muscles to relax. Time to think about a place to rest. Not here though, the roudy bunch comes in late and Jedial is an early riser. Perhaps that Sovereign Host temple in House Denieth would allow him a bunk and a pillow. His needs are very modest, after all, and the walk from the harbor, and through the market, would give him time to unwind.

Community Member

. Also loved when "Trip" works, which it did about 80% of the time I remembered to use it.

Hmmmm....first piece of data.
    2nd Level Character in a 2nd Level Quest at Elite Difficulty successfully tripped monsters aprox 80% of the time.
    Need more observations if not too much trouble.

I will be creating a "dummy" with average STR and DEX to go around "tripping" monsters and start to develope a pattern.
    Cali assisted me similarly some time ago showing him how to measure "hits/misses" in relation to Armor Class.
    Last edited by intruder1; 04-01-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Yes, another fun night! Guys forgive me if I am not used to taking turns talking on the mic in party chat. I will try and shut up more so I don't end up talking over everyone. It will take some practice on my part and patience on your part.

I was surprised (pleasantly) that a few slips on the icy cliffs inside Misery did not kill anyone. We got split up as a party more than once due to falls, and ice spiders attacked in large droves. In fairness, most slips were due to lag issues where you go to change directions a little, and lag kicks in, when the lag lets up you are facing 90 degrees from what you thought and swoosh off you go into the wild blue yonder!

I am impressed with the close watch our healers keep on the party. Had a great time watching Cadrod, our bard, stun opponents with his spells. Also loved when "Trip" works, which it did about 80% of the time I remembered to use it.

Missing from our party was someone with trapping skills. Not a big deal on Korthos, but could be dangerous as we advance on to harder quests.

============

Jedial is not a prude, but he does abstain from "adult" beverages. Fortunately, he is naturally good at winning friends and influencing people, so the barmaid in the Leaky Dinghy was more than happy to bring him a steaming mug of hot water with his Potato Soup and bread. He added in a mixture of leaves and roots his elven friends gave him before leaving his home to make a soothing tea, to which he added a large helping of honey. The atmosphere inside was causing his tense muscles to relax. Time to think about a place to rest. Not here though, the roudy bunch comes in late and Jedial is an early riser. Perhaps that Sovereign Host temple in House Denieth would allow him a bunk and a pillow. His needs are very modest, after all, and the walk from the harbor, and through the market, would give him time to unwind.

I like to put trip on my main hot bar for my melees right next to cleave and stun and sunder so I can cycle through them 1-2-3-4 while attacking. sadly Cadrod does not get any tactical feats

I like to put trip on my main hot bar for my melees right next to cleave and stun and sunder so I can cycle through them 1-2-3-4 while attacking. sadly Cadrod does not get any tactical feats
    Yes, me too. I have trip, sunder, smite in a row on my hotbar. Trip has a long cooldown, so I'd use it once, then forget to use again after it recharged in an extended battle.

Hmmmm....first piece of data.
    2nd Level Character in a 2nd Level Quest at Elite Difficulty successfully tripped monsters aprox 80% of the time.
    Need more observations if not too much trouble.
    Okay, 80% is not a scientifically derived number, but more of a "hey it seemed like...." in retrorspect.

I will try to keep track on paper in the next quest or two. Remember, Korthos scales differently than other quests - i.e. it is easier.

PM from Kerik:

Quote Originally Posted by kerikofgreyhawk
    FYI, Faerd is as trap spec'd as can be in our group.
    My apologies for a bad memory!
    Last edited by Fedora; 04-01-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Community Member

Okay, 80% is not a scientifically derived number, but more of a "hey it seemed like...." in retrorspect.
    No, I understood the reference.

Trip is derived from the Monster making a saving throw using the modifier of it's STR or DEX against 10 plus YOUR Modifier.
    Since we can not know what "it's" modifiers are, OR if they change with Level and/or difficulty, we have to observe.

IF neither had any modifiers then the monsters saving throw (1d20) would have to beat your DC (10).
    Note that in order to "Trip" you have to score a "Hit" in an attack.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast