Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    I didn't even think to buy heal pots until the end of the night.
    With Narcene out, I think we better to stick to quests that don't have many traps
    And this after my Bring Heal Kits rant. (eyeroll). Narcene is a ranger, not a trapper; although I will keep spot up if possible. I shoot sticks into things; having said that, I plan to put effort into melee as well. I have never done much with the ranger class before, so all I have to go on is forum gossip.
    Last edited by LeadHero5; 04-02-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

Default Narcene at level 2...

Gear +1 dex ring (+1); shocking touch longbow (+1)
    Last edited by LeadHero5; 04-01-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHero5 View Post
    And this after my Bring Heal Kits rant. (eyeroll). Narcene is a ranger, not a trapper; although I will keep spot up if possible. I shoot sticks into things; having said that, I plan to put effort into melee as well. I have never done much with the ranger class before, so all I have to go on is forum gossip.
    Whoops, got Narcene confused with Faerd.

Time to start planning for Sunday night. I'll be on around 7:30PM. Start time hopefully 8PM if everyone can make it.

Meeting in the Leaky Dinghy. We'll run some harbor quests, whatever everyone wants. I'm thinking Osgood's Basement, the Stolen Tome, Durk's Got a Secret.

Or we could start the Water Works quests, or even head out to the C-Hills and do the two quests out there while hitting some slayer/rare/explorer.

Then there is always Walk the Butcher's Path....

Let's pick a couple-three, chime in with your preferences. I'm open to whatever.

Default After Action Report

By 8PM four members of the THACO STORM group met in the Leaky Dinghy to begin a night of adventures. First was "Bringing the Light" on elite, followed by "Information is Key" on elite. Neither quest proved to be a challenge for the four level 3 characters. Actually Faerd joined us, just a few minutes late, to bring us up to five characters - I don't remember but I think he joined us in the second quest.

Next up was "Recovering the Lost Tome" on elite. Except for a couple of close calls with the electric/lightning traps (due to poor positioning) this quest also went quick and easy. It might have proven more difficult but both Faerd and Percy had high enough intelligence to use the runes to disable the lightning traps so everyone else could pass safely. Percy cast a resist energy on Faerd just in case. Likewise, Faerds trapping skills allowed access to an extra chest, and the high intelligence also opened the way to a bonus chest.

We then ventured into half of the Water Works, but as this cannot be changed from "Normal Difficulty" it was too easy. We also decided to hold off on the quest chain "Lost Seekers" since we were missing Cadrod our bard. We hoped to do quests he could more easily catch up on.

So exiting Water Works, we headed up the stairs and over to "Garrison's Missing Pack". Again, on elite, did not prove too challenging. Partly due to the relative ease of Harbor Quests in general, and partly due to a good mix of characters with trapping, melee, ranged, and healing capabilities. So far, we are not missing "not" having an arcane in the group, but we shall see if this proves more difficult at higher levels. Percy is learning to keep an eye on folks health, a work in progress. Likewise, Jedial must learn to slow down before the nickname "Zerger" really starts to stick. Jaerd seems to be the most tactical/experienced of the group. Narcene and Vin are both cool under fire and hilarious tons of fun in taverns. They like to mock the big guys in heavy armor "Come and get me, come and get me, can't catch me when I tumble can ya, can't catch me, look at me I'm tumbling, too fast for ya....." lol

Notes:
    - The new magic item restriction (2.5 x level, rounded up = max minimum level total of items) seems OP at lower level. This is why I added the -2 (minus two) in my original suggestion, becaue -2ML is not a big deal at mid level, but restricts lower level to almost the same as the "potential" system used. We also discussed the new system continues to count a wand as "1" regardless of the ML, since most wands are underpowered for the level, and mostly used to stretch the blue bar or increase cast rate. IMO, most wands just give arcanes about the same power as a melee using a bow.

- We are rethinking what to do with healing potions. Since our group has decent healing, we are considering discontinuing the use of healing potions. I actually have two personal thoughts/suggestions to toss out for discussion.

--1. We only allow "found" healing potions (any kind), and they do not count towards the magic item limitations. We can trade found potions of healing amongst members, but we cannot purchase from vendors or AH.

--2. We still only allow "light" healing potions, but you can purchase a certain number per level as a first aid kit before a quest. Either 2,3,5 or whatever per level.

Sorry guys, been sick as a dog since Friday. Looks like you did well and I will catch up by next week.

Oh, the reason you could only select normal for WW is because that is an explorer area. The quest is separate from that.

What rank are you at now?
    Last edited by Postumus; 04-08-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Sorry guys, been sick as a dog since Friday. Looks like you did well and I will catch up by next week.

Oh, the reason you could only select normal for WW is because that is an explorer area. The quest is separate from that.

What rank are you at now?
    Sorry to hear you were sick, hope you are feeling better now.

Yes, we knew the explorer thing was the reason, and it was just too easy.

I don't remember what rank specifically, but we are all still at level 3, so even if you don't get a chance to run the quests before next week it won't matter. I don't recall if I had any AP at the start of the night, but at the end I had 2AP, so we gained 2 ranks total probably.

EDIT: Okay I just checked, Jedial is level 3 rank 14 with 38k xp.
    Last edited by Fedora; 04-08-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Ran the three quests you guys did on Sunday. Cadrod is all caught up.

We ran 4 quests total, but of you are around 38k xp you are caught up.

Bringing the Light
    Information is Key
    Recovering the Lost Tome
    Garrison's Missing Pack

Default Sunday

Unless something comes up I'm planning on being on around 7:30PM on Sunday as usual. Once we see how many of us are available we can decide what quests to do. In the harbor, I think the harder ones are:

Butcher's Path (due to the number kobold shammons on elite with their lightning bolts)
    Irestone Inlet (loads of respawning mobs, witch doctors, clerics, ogres, wolves/wargs with knockdown)
    Kobold Assault

Since the quests last Sunday were not overly challenging we could try the above and see how we fare.

If we lack a full party we could try the Water Works chain, or the 2 quests in the Cerulean Hills, which can be tough on Elite, but not as tough as Irestone IMO.

Lots of other choices too. I'm open to whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora View Post
    Unless something comes up I'm planning on being on around 7:30PM on Sunday as usual. Once we see how many of us are available we can decide what quests to do. In the harbor, I think the harder ones are:

Butcher's Path (due to the number kobold shammons on elite with their lightning bolts)
    Irestone Inlet (loads of respawning mobs, witch doctors, clerics, ogres, wolves/wargs with knockdown)
    Kobold Assault

Since the quests last Sunday were not overly challenging we could try the above and see how we fare.

If we lack a full party we could try the Water Works chain, or the 2 quests in the Cerulean Hills, which can be tough on Elite, but not as tough as Irestone IMO.

Lots of other choices too. I'm open to whatever.
    Irestone on elite with third level low magic characters and no shrines would certainly be tough.

WW elite would be a good challenge, and fun. The hills quests sound good. I will be there.

=

Olladra willing and the creek don't rise, Percy will be there with noisy armor and a new gift from the Divine Realms. Cleric Divine Healing I may be a real boon to his friends with minor wounds.

=

Default After Action Report

Where to begin? Interesting night to say the least.

Last night we only had five of the six STORM group present. Faerd was MIA, hope all is well with him.

Since last week proved to be somewhat easy, we decided to take on the first quest in the Water Works chain. None of us expected it to end after the first encounter.

After making our way easily through the water works explorer area, we began the quest on elite. Our characters are all level 3 with limited magic items per THACO rules. After dispatching the kobold ambush, we proceded toward the doorway, and spotted the trap. Not having a rogue, our agile halfling decided to run through, hoping for a refelx save and then healing up on the other side. Well with another party member close by, the trap was set off and we heard two "dings". Jedial went to grab their stones, believing he was well back from the "supposedly" one-time trap, and you guessed it, another "ding". With three members down within the first 3-5 minutes of the quest, it was decided to retreat and try again another day.

After regrouping we decided that the "Save the Farm" quest in the Cerulean Hills would be a better quest for a party with no trapper present. Moving ahead a little too quickly (out of habit) Jedial tried to take out an orc caster that had spotted us, but several other orcs were also nearby. A Niacs Ray and two orc warriors quickly dispatched the foolish paladin, who was also out of sight from Percy our cleric. The remaining four members of the party were able to win that first fight and proceed. A dog was rescued, a few more orcs were killed, but then another member met his demise, followed shortly after by another member suffering technical difficulties (dc). Again, the decision was made to retreat.

Licking our wounds with two successful ways NOT to run quests, we decided we needed a win under our belts for morale. So off to assist a House K warder with his task by killing off some scorpions. Although we did not expect too much trouble on this quest, even on elite, we knew that scorpions could sting hard so we used a strategy of blocking the doorway and concentrating attacks on one or two scorpions at a time with hand-to-hand and ranged weapons. This made quick work of those vermin and we were rewarded with two chests and an end-reward in about five minutes.

Next up was Durks Got a Secret. We did a good job in here, though perhaps the low level of the quest gave us a false sense of security, causing us to move a bit too quickly. Our lack of a good spotter caused the death of our halfling rogue/paladin scout, Vinnie, who was taken by a fire trap. Fortunately it was near the end of the quest, just before the second chieftain fight.

The next (and final) quest of the night was Butcher's Path. Despite a large number of Kobold Shamens, we finally came together as a team with some good strategy. Percy kept us all in fighting shape with a staff in one hand and a beer in the other. Pulling mobs to us a little at a time through choke points was the order of the day. Ducking and dodging shamen lightning bolts, we picked them off by popping around corners after they cast and peppering them with arrows and bolts. All in all, a job very well done by THACO STORM.

There was some discussion afterwards about having some redundancy with our rogue members. We really only have one trapper, Faerd, and with him missing we definitely felt incomplete. Vinegarune talked about respeccing (LR) to pick up spotting and trapping by sacrificing either diplomacy or bluff.
    Last edited by Fedora; 04-15-2013 at 10:21 AM.

There was some discussion afterwards about having some redundancy with our rogue members. We really only have one trapper, Faerd, and with him missing we definitely felt incomplete. Vinegarune talked about respeccing (LR) to pick up spotting and trapping by sacrificing either diplomacy or bluff.

I think Vinnie's decision to swap his points in diplomacy for points in search/disable is smart. Vinnie will need to take skill boosts, and by level four Cad will have heroism which will help a bit. But on elite, with our gear restrictions, I think our group needs to be prepared for the occasional blown trap box and the need to circumnavigate traps that have not been disarmed.

Even with bad luck we shouldn't have lost more than one player to the WW trap. With a bit of good luck we could have pulled one of the kobolds at the end of the hallway (hard to see them, but they are there) and had him set off the trap. Most of the traps can also be timed.

That may be challenging for some of our players who have lag/latency issues since it's hard to time traps when suffering lag. But many traps in the game can be avoided, or safely navigated without mario skills if we are patient and play the way we did toward the end of the night. Butcher's path was a good example of how efficient we can be, no deaths (although Cadrod took a face full of lightning for 52 Hps), if we slow down a bit and think tactically.

I don't think we'll have any problems with WW next week.

Even with bad luck we shouldn't have lost more than one player to the WW trap. With a bit of good luck we could have pulled one of the kobolds at the end of the hallway (hard to see them, but they are there) and had him set off the trap.
    If you recall, the trap fired at least twice. The first time it took out two of us, the second time when Jedial went to retrieve the stones. Pulling a kobold through may have ended even worse if we all ran through thinking it was a one-shot trap. lol

If you recall, the trap fired at least twice. The first time it took out two of us, the second time when Jedial went to retrieve the stones. Pulling a kobold through may have ended even worse if we all ran through thinking it was a one-shot trap. lol

From where I was standing it looked like one long sustained burst of acid and I was surprised when Jed walked into it (and died). I didn't see it stop firing, but maybe I blinked.

I ran this quest on elite a week ago in a low equipped perma-death group comprised of a FvS, a barbarian, a fighter/cleric, and a ranger. And that's exactly what we did: pull kobolds through the doorway (which killed them) to set off the trap, wait until it stopped firing acid, then we walked inside. I don't remember it firing more than once, but maybe it did. I do know it eventually stopped and we walked past it without any problems.

From where I was standing it looked like one long sustained burst of acid and I was surprised when Jed walked into it (and died). I didn't see it stop firing, but maybe I blinked.

I ran this quest on elite a week ago in a low equipped perma-death group comprised of a FvS, a barbarian, a fighter/cleric, and a ranger. And that's exactly what we did: pull kobolds through the doorway (which killed them) to set off the trap, wait until it stopped firing acid, then we walked inside. I don't remember it firing more than once, but maybe it did. I do know it eventually stopped and we walked past it without any problems.
    Hmmm. If it was still going off you should have stopped me! lol

Maybe I had a "duh" moment?

Hmmm. If it was still going off you should have stopped me! lol

Maybe I had a "duh" moment?
    I was still too stunned to say anything after the first two deaths.

Since I and V had a front row seat and nothing to distract us, being already melted to a slag and all, we think Jed just mistimed the end of the burst and it's effect range. You know how the spray just peters out. Jed inched forward as it did, probably thinking the effect was over, and caught the tail end of it. Lesson learned - even on lowbie quests the dev's have stacked the deck as far as trap damage - one shot kills for those without SHIP BUFFS. 'Cause they assume that the lowest common denominator, a level 3 moron, will have joined the first Guild to ask and have access to SHIP BUFFS of the GODS to make his crappy level 3 character into a HEROIC ICON OF POWER, power... power. [echo effect of the Gods].

Default Blessed beer....

=

Who needs the Godly Ship Buffs, we have Percy's divinely blessed BEER!

However, Blessed Beer will not work under the following circumstances....

1. If Percy is unaware of basic Cleric tools on his hotbar and keyboard. (f# and heal - thanks for the heads up!).

2. If you are out of sight over a stack of boulders, around a corner, split into two groups, or hidden by bushes when the Wizard zaps you for mega volts. All of which happened that evening. (Running ahead faster than Percy can follow is also a problem. He is VERY slow in both sneak and run mode.)

3. If you get hit with multiple high damage strikes in less than a second or two. Especially if two of you are attacked that way at once. I'm old, with arthur embeded in fingers, so response is a bit delayed at times. I will take medication for that prior to our game in the future, and it should speed up reaction times.

4. If you force me to fetch the second blessed beer from the 'fridge, there is a double vision problem that can add a 50 percent chance I hit the illusion instead of the real key intended. Interesting things can occur under that circumstance.

Solutions to our problems seem to revolve around getting our heads out of "Standard" DDO mode, and into THACO mode, before entering a quest. As intruder1 is constantly reminding us, we have two vastly different play styles here.

Still, even with the early disasters, didn't we laugh a LOT? The Zergers ain't havin' this much fun when they crash and burn!

-Sam

=

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast