Paladin
    Rogue/Paladin
    Cleric
    Cleric/Rogue
    Bard
    Ranger
    That looks right.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Melee heavy but we should be tough to kill as we have plenty of healing options. I don't think we'll ever need hirelings considering every character is capable of self healing and healing others.
    A lot of the healing options won't come into play until level 4-5 for the paladin/ranger, but yes wands (if available) will be good for recovering quickly after a fight, not as much during a fight though, as you would be better off letting the melees melee to kill mobs faster than using a slow wand-whip for minimal in-battle healing.

The only real difficulty I foresee is that our ability to spot traps won't be great since the clogue and pogue won't have enough skill points to max spot, search, AND disable.
    Maybe one rogue can work on maxing spot and locks, the other can max search/disable? One spots traps and secret doors, the other one finds and opens/disables.

But that is nothing insurmountable, we'll just end up finding more traps the old fashioned way... with the Paladin.
    What'ch you talkin' 'bout Wilis?!

Default Roleplay and roster...

Quote Originally Posted by Khatzhas View Post
    As I understand it, it is a roleplaying group though?
    Not so much. For the most part the characters have some sort of back story, but in quest it's mostly wisecracking. When stalking through a dungeon, there isn't much room for anything besides staying alive. I will acknowledge WF because Narcene's (ranger) minimal history involves them. Could even be the reason WF are not allowed, wouldn't group with them.

Best time for me would be Sunday 7:00 pm EST

Current roster
    Fedora - Jedial helf paladin
    LeadHero5 - Narcene halfling ranger
    Postumus - Cadrod Stin human bard
    zefjoe - Vinegarune halfling rogue/paladin
    Fricko - Percivull human cleric
    kerikofgreyhawk - ? ?(human or halfling) rogue/cleric

Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora View Post
    T

Maybe one rogue can work on maxing spot and locks, the other can max search/disable? One spots traps and secret doors, the other one finds and opens/disables.
    Eeesh. Better they both focus on search and disable in case one can't make it. But that is just my opinion.

Well we don't have a barbarian trap finder, so paladin is the next best option right?

What is the deal with 'death penalties' going to be? Are we voting on this? I really don't want people sitting around dead for 30+ minutes doing nothing. I'd rather have everyone recall and re-try it (or do something else) as a team if we aren't close to finishing.

I think dead players should definitely be allowed to get xps from the quest. I'm also fine if they use a shrine to get resurrected for the end chest, but if players want some sort of penalty for dying, then maybe they just don't get resurrected for the loot?

I'm fine either way although in PnP the end loot was what it was and not dependent on how many players were alive (or conscious) to pull it from a chest, and it all got distributed based on what characters contributed to the quest afterwards.

Eeesh. Better they both focus on search and disable in case one can't make it. But that is just my opinion.
    I get what you're saying here, but one of the things they do is try to avoid using knowledge the character wouldn't have. For example, anyone who has played DDO for a few months knows where all the traps are in many quests, but I don't think they just walk up to a spot and "search" wihtout someone first "spotting" the trap. Come to think of it though, the rogue/cleric should have a decent spot due to wisdom, and the ranger might well have a good spot skill too. So yeah, pump up search and disable.

Well we don't have a barbarian trap finder, so paladin is the next best option right?
    But, but, but..... lol

What is the deal with 'death penalties' going to be? Are we voting on this? I really don't want people sitting around dead for 30+ minutes doing nothing. I'd rather have everyone recall and re-try it (or do something else) as a team if we aren't close to finishing.

I think dead players should definitely be allowed to get xps from the quest. I'm also fine if they use a shrine to get resurrected for the end chest, but if players want some sort of penalty for dying, then maybe they just don't get resurrected for the loot?

I'm fine either way although in PnP the end loot was what it was and not dependent on how many players were alive (or conscious) to pull it from a chest, and it all got distributed based on what characters contributed to the quest afterwards.
    Yeah I'm not real fond of sitting around for a long time either, so let's see if we can come up with some ideas. I think intruder1's ideal is to keep it as close to D&D as possible, so what are options that keep the spirit of that while taking into account we are not ACTUALLY sitting around a card table eating pizza together playing D&D. In those cases, someone died, they could take on the roll of a henchman, assist the DM, make a pepsi run for the group, or whatever - something besides watch a remote video of what the others are doing.

Until we all agree on something though, we should stick to the same rules that THACO currently has. At first/second level quests death should not be to big an issue (hopefully).

Community Member

Here is a stab at it though - I think it is a way to play based on 2nd Edition rules as opposed to a "world" or version 3.5 rules.

Correct. No real "campaign". Rough Ebb content played with 2nd Ed conditions and rules. (mostly)

Default Allow myself to introduce... myself...

As Zefjoe

Sorry for not posting before this to respond to the questions posted. I've been at work or with THACO and so...

As far as roleplaying - As much or as little as you want. With mic's it's a little ridiculous trying to be "in character" without sounding like Shakespeare in the park. We mostly play as you would if you were playing Counterstrike or some other mic only communication. The quests are long enough without a lot of flowery verbiage. (Don't forget - we DO NOT zerg. Standard mode of movement is in SNEAK mode.). The world we play in is Eberron, just without the proscribed races and classes. Those are proscribed due to not being in 2nd. edition D&D. Our "bible" so to speak. Plus they are overpowered. Once you've experienced our playstyle you'll understand.

As for the rogue duties/issue... while one of us could spec for spotting and the other for disable I should emphasize the following;

As Vinegarune

stats
    STR - 12
    DEX - 15
    CON - 13
    INT - 10
    WIS - 12
    CHA - 16

will take enhancements for damage boost, haste boost, SA damage, Smite Evils, AC boost, Toughness et al.

Vinegarune, although having rogue levels was not intended to perform rogue "duties" as a trapper. Sneak attacks, Evasion, skill points for MAX Hide, Move Quiet, Balance, Jump, Bluff (or Diplomacy) and Spot were the reasons.

Vinegarune, although having paladin levels was not intended to be a tanking paladin. Smite evils, AC increase, emergency self healing, martial weapons proficiency, some divine spells, MAX skills in Diplomacy (or Bluff) were the reasons.

Don't pay any attention to the icon(s) by her name. She is not a pogue, a ropadin, or a jackalope . She is a stealthy killer of evil ;p. She will get extra damage from Sneak attacks. When she gains aggro she will attempt to diplo or bluff (undecided which I'll spec for) and use Smite evil for extra damage when advantageous. She will have high saves, evasion, immunities to fear and disease and very good HP's (at least 300 by level 20 from just stats and enhancements). She will be hard to knock down, hard to pin, hard to kill.

She is not going to cut it for trapping. She has no ranks in Search, Disable Device or Locks.
    Last edited by zefjoe; 03-21-2013 at 09:12 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Khatzhas View Post
    As I understand it, it is a roleplaying group though? So characters will actually talk in-character about things, and may reference things in the world that exists around them?

Is that world Eberron, as portrayed in the game, or do you play as if in a different setting, and if so, which?

The rules about whether you can play an artificer for example, are plain. The reasoning is less so, but that is not what I'm asking.
    Artificers are fairly central and specific to the Eberron setting. If my character told another "Go talk to that Artificer over there." would the response be "That what?"
    Roleplaying ....no. people sitting around a virtual game table "talking" to each other....yes.
    Ebberon....no.
    Just a group of player characters doing "Modules" (Quests)
    SOME characters enjoy writing creative stories from our adventures, that's the extent of Roleplaying.

Otherwise, just having fun. Winning OR Losing. No END Goal. Just playing and laughing. And in my case it seems, cursing. :0

Community Member

Is this the current roster now?

Paladin
    Rogue/Paladin
    Cleric
    Cleric/Rogue
    Bard
    Ranger

Melee heavy but we should be tough to kill as we have plenty of healing options. I don't think we'll ever need hirelings considering every character is capable of self healing and healing others. Our potential damage output is lower than average, but again we should be very tough to kill so we'll be fine.

The only real difficulty I foresee is that our ability to spot traps won't be great since the clogue and pogue won't have enough skill points to max spot, search, AND disable. But that is nothing insurmountable, we'll just end up finding more traps the old fashioned way... with the Paladin.
    Ah....you have MUCH to learn from this playstyle.

Community Member

A lot of the healing options won't come into play until level 4-5 for the paladin/ranger, but yes wands (if available) will be good for recovering quickly after a fight, not as much during a fight though, as you would be better off letting the melees melee to kill mobs faster than using a slow wand-whip for minimal in-battle healing.
    Stop being so "mechanical" guys. Don't try to solve any problems until you actually confront them.

Try NOT to use hirelings. They are the "easy" button. If youre shorthanded.....figure it out!
    If you can't figure it out, don't go!
    Match the Module to the Party, not the other way round.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHero5 View Post
    but in quest it's mostly wisecracking.
    When stalking through a dungeon, there isn't much room for anything besides staying alive.
    HA! That's why I like this guy! Well said!

Community Member

What is the deal with 'death penalties' going to be? Are we voting on this? I really don't want people sitting around dead for 30+ minutes doing nothing. I'd rather have everyone recall and re-try it (or do something else) as a team if we aren't close to finishing..
    That's what we used to do, but some felt it was a waste to abort. Plus we never do the same Module twice in one night. And once completed, the Module is never repeated.

I think dead players should definitely be allowed to get xps from the quest. I'm also fine if they use a shrine to get resurrected for the end chest, but if players want some sort of penalty for dying, then maybe they just don't get resurrected for the loot?.
    No reason is good enough to Shrine. This is not a grind up the progression ladder.

True. There are SOME things from Classic we can't get in DDO.

Death is the last thing we haven't "nerfed". We already embraced BYOH.

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    Stop being so "mechanical" guys. Don't try to solve any problems until you actually confront them.
    Measure twice, cut once.

Planning AS the party forms (without "nerfing" the fun) is something I wanted to do as I read over some of THAC0's early hardships. Learning from those mistakes, rather than make similar mistakes and then spend 3-4 quests fighting against them until some sort of "work around" is figured out.

!!!CLICHE WARNING!!! !!!CLICHE WARNING!!! !!!CLICHE WARNING!!!

Failure to plan, is planning to fail.

No reason is good enough to Shrine. This is not a grind up the progression ladder.
    I don't understand what you mean by this. If dead characters stay in quest until it is completed they still get the xps and completion from the quest. Or are you saying loot is the 'grind?' I'm not following you.

We already embraced BYOH.

What does this mean? Are players allowed to purchase consumables like heal pots, wands, and scrolls now?
    Last edited by Postumus; 03-22-2013 at 01:12 AM.

I am confused about a few thing so whoever knows, feel free to respond:

1- Who is the party leader?

2- Can our characters purchase any of the following from in game vendors:

A- Potions? Any or specific kinds?
    B- Wands? Any or specific kinds?
    C- Scrolls?
    D- Gear from pawn vendors? (like the pawn brokers in the market that resell items)
    E- Gear from in game vendors? (like weapons or arrows from hammer & chain)
    F- Bags?
    G- Spell components?

3- Can our characters turn in collectibles for the rewards?

4- Can our characters use the augment gems?

5- Can we use found pots, wands, and/or scrolls? Is there any restriction to this?

6- Where can we sell loot in game? Barkeeps only? Vendors? Auction house?

7- Can we use crafted items?

8- Are all players in the group VIP/Premium and have access to all the content, or are we restricted to running F2P quests?

9- How do we know which magic items we can use? I don't know the difference between an 'heirloom' item, or how the 'potential' is calculated for items.

I'm sure everything else will be figured out when we play on Sunday.

The THAC0 leader is intruder1 (aka Tukcc) and he is essentially our "GM". When STORM gets together for quests, I believe he is unavailable (Sunday nights is what it is looking like) so whoever wants to lead can do so. As far as I am concerned, the party leader is simply the first one online who cares to manage leading the party.

A- Potions? Any or specific kinds? Yes, cure light wounds only
    C- Scrolls?
    D- Gear from pawn vendors? (like the pawn brokers in the market that resell items) No
    E- Gear from in game vendors? (like weapons or arrows from hammer & chain) Yes, anything non-magic except wide quivers. Thin quivers allowed.
    F- Bags?Yes and no. You can use them to store things in your bank, but not inventory during quests.
    G- Spell components?

Yes, but it may add to the item potential. I think this rule is under review right now since the augments are still fairly new.

5- Can we use found pots, wands, and/or scrolls? Is there any restriction to this?
    Anything obtained DURING a quest may be used during that quest without restrictions (I think). The restrictions on magic items comes when you BEGIN a quest. When you show up for a new quest, then you must abide by the magic item potential, heirloom, and like restrictions.

Anywhere you want. Likewise you can give place them in your bank or place them in a shared bank to give to alts not in THAC0/STORM.

8- Are all players in the group VIP/Premium and have access to all the content, or are we restricted to running F2P quests?

9- How do we know which magic items we can use? I don't know the difference between an 'heirloom' item, or how the 'potential' is calculated for items.
    I'll start out with what I understand so far to give you an idea of how it works and let the others elaborate or correct. The character level detrmines the total magic potential, not including "herloom" items. The "crafting number" in the top right corner = the item potential. So for example, a +2 Great Axe counts as 2, and a +1 battle plate counst as 1. This is what a level 3 character would be allowed to carry. The "heirloom" item, as I understand it, would be something unique like the Korthos Protector's Set of Gloves/Brooch. This can be carried in addition to the "Item Potential" rule.

Likewise, a "first aid kit" consisiting of up to 50 cure light potions can be bought from vendors and used in a quest.

That's pretty much the basics. The rules on scrolls/wands are listed in the first post on the original thread and I think they still stand. I don't recall the specifics but I'll go back and reread them.

I'd like to toss out a 7PM EST start time suggestion to get the ball rolling. Will that work for everyone? I can actually start as early as 5PM EST, or as late as 8PM (to start) but would like to be able to quit no later than 10PM due to getting up at 0430 for work Monday.
    I supplied the answers I am 95% sure of in color (sorry if it makes the eyes bleed). I don't know all the answers, but figured you would rather know some answers sooner rather than wait on all of them.

As Fedora said, Tukcc will be the de facto GM. Whoever would like to lead can lead.

A- Potions? Any or specific kinds?
    As it stands NOW, 50 CLW pots. BUUUUT... with everyone having heal capabilities I would think it would be more of a challenge to go in with nothing. No other potions.

Any wand may be purchased, but it counts as a magic item, so 3 wands = +3 magic.

C- Scrolls?
    No scroll may be purchased. If found in game may be used, or if there are arcanes cand be saved to inscribe. NOTE this is the ONLY way an arcane is able to fill out his spell book!!!!

D- Gear from pawn vendors? (like the pawn brokers in the market that resell items)
    This is a no. The idea is, like in old PnP, what you find in chests and quests is how you gear up your character.

E- Gear from in game vendors? (like weapons or arrows from hammer & chain)
    This is a yes. Any normal (unmagical) gear can be bought. You can have a (1) thin quiver only with arrows [that'll give you three stacks of 400 - reg arrows, maybe masterwork arrows or bane arrows, +1 arrows, for example]

F- Bags?
    No bags carried in quest. Although I personally don't see the diff. Bags just allow you to keep a tidy backpack.

G- Spell components?
    Yes, as many as desired.

SO far none have done so, BUT if one wishes to get some bane arrows the only way is to turn in collectibles so I vote that it be allowed, with the understanding that whatever you get with magic potential you'll have to figure in with what you can bring to the quest.

Yes but, using gems make an item an Heirloom. SO only one on your character.

Yes. No restrictions.

Can sell to whomever.

At this time no. However I personally would vote to allow them, given that the item become an Heirloom and so - only one per character.

Some of us will be VIP, the others are Premium. Sometimes passes are needed. The VIP's are the HARD/ELITE openers.

Potential is the +# in the upper right hand corner. An Heirloom is usually a named item with no potential but a laundry list of effects in the description.
    So a +2 Longsword with nothing else will have a +2 in the corner. You would have to be a level 2 character JUST TO USE IT. At level 3, you could carry only a +1 something else.
    A +2 Longsword of Maiming will have a +3 in the corner, because it has a total of 3 effects [+2 magic, and +1 for maiming].
    An heirloom item will have no +# in the corner but, for example, if it was a +2 scimitar with an augment slot and it had Ghost Touch... well +2 for the magic boost, +1 for the augment, +1 for the Ghost Touch = +4 magic potential. This is also a powerful weapon for 2nd edition D&D, so this is the only Heirloom item you could carry.

Note that if we choose to do the Korthos quests, the set you receive is NOT counted as Heirloom.

As you can see, it's very restrictive, but adheres to the old D&D playstyle. Finding good gear used to be exciting, remember? How exciting is it [for a low level character] to go shopping for a +3 Keen khopesh of Maiming? Sure you get the goody, but with no effort.

CLICHE STORM CLICHE STORM CLICHE STORM

Things achieved with little effort have little value.
    YOU MUST UNLEARN WHAT YOU HAVE LEARNED. LOL

p/s how the hell do you change the text color?

Quote Originally Posted by zefjoe View Post
    p/s how the hell do you change the text color?
    Using the "color=" tag, then ending with the "/color". Place them in brackets [.....].

Example with spaces so you can see how it's done:

[ color=red ]This text would be red.[ /color ]

Default Clarification and my suggestions

These are all my suggestions, I advocate for simple easy rules that focus on 'found in quest'.

1. Party leader? Rotates in group, Picks next quest and gets to bark at other characters. Then command passes for next week.
    2. A Potions? My suggestion is no store bought but can use what is found in chests, not in crates.
    B wands? In THACO I (as a wizard) can buy an offensive vendor wand of 50 charges and have it count as +1 potential. For Storm, since we have no arcanes, I propose that those who can use cure wands be allowed to carry one. (I kinda think the hams are OP, and they will run out eventually and you could 'cheat' and eat one at the start of combat to get the max hp out of it) TBD
    C. Scrolls? Only found in quest, and can be saved.
    G. Spell comp? Yes
    3. Collectibles? Hmm I recommend that if you pick up stuff in quest, pass them out of group. It can be valuable but not 'found in quest'. TBD
    7. Crafted? No
    8. VIP/Prem? I am Premium, I have almost all of the low-mid level quests, some of us don't. If you are committed to this group, I think the $ spent for the packs is worth it. Points are on sale now, and wait to buy when quests are on sale. I think STK, Sharn, and Cats will keep us busy till summer.
    9. Item eligibility? (THACO rules) You can count your starting armor as 'free' and we have a free mod fort item. I think the 'trapper' should be allowed as free, at level spot/search items that are found in quest. I'm still fuzzy about Heirloom myself.

Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

V can play Sunday night 7-11 (or any other night for that matter).

p.s. new avatar gives you some idea of V -

Okay guys, this is my last post until tomorrow evening. So I am going to suggest we meet on Thelanis in the harbor on Sunday at 7PM near the Leaky Dinghy in order to party up and head to Korthos.

I will check this thread when I get home Sunday to see if it's a go, or if the time is bad for someone and had to be rescheduled.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast