Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Default D&D Style Group on DDO - STORM

This thread is a split-off from an excellent year long (plus) thread begun here by Intruder1:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=362110

That was the beginning of a static group that came to be known as THAC0. Something a bit over a year later, we are now beginning another parallel group using 95%+ of the same rule set as THAC0. This newly forming group has come to be called STORM.

Posts and journals that are STORM specific will be posted here.
    Posts and journals that are THAC0 specific will continue to be posted there.

I propose that Intruder1 has honorary status as the watchdog, advisor, and "DM" for this STORM thread as well, since IMO this is built upon his dedication and work put into THAC0.

A few posts copied from THAC0 will follow to act as a starting/consolidation point for STORM.

Quote Originally Posted by zefjoe View Post
    It looks like another group is ready to get together then. Zefjoe, Leadhero5 and Fedora - anyone else? I seem to recall a few others that have posted in the past. We need to settle on:

the naming convention [I like the idea of a common surname] I throw out the following as suggestions: CHARACTERNAME the "Descriptive"
    of Storm;
    of Stormreach;
    of the Reach;
    of Thacodom;

Zefjoe votes for - CHARACTERNAME the "Descriptive" of Stormreach

Races for sure - the old four - Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling,
    Races up for vote - Half-elf, Half-Orc
    Races to overpowered for consideration - Drow, Warforged [ come on you know they're too overpowered ]

Time - weekend, evening - exact day and time TBA

Initial guidelines
    1. Stat rolls will be determined by dice roll; you may allocate the rolls in the stats of your choice. If all you have available is 32 point build, congrats, you just rolled lucky; they will be allowed. Contact intruder1 for details.
    2. Characters will start at level 1 with a common surname to be determined.
    3. Only gear found while questing will be eligible for use. There will be a gear restriction to be determined. Excess gear may be auctioned or passed out of group. Plat may be sent out, you won't need much in this group. Vendor purchases allowed are spell components, Masterwork arrows/bolts, spell inscription materials, free agent tools.
    4. Characters may be guilded, but no guild buffs allowed.
    5. Warforged are not allowed, too new; Artificer is not allowed, again, too new. Half elf is allowed. Half orc is to be determined. Drow is not allowed.
    6. Multi class is allowed but must be even splits.
    7. Play times will probably be weekend, details to be determined.
    8. A mic is highly recommended. Access to at least mid level packs is highly recommended. Cats, STK, Sharn, Tangleroot to start with. (Points are on sale now!!)
    9. Cooperative, supportive, tactical, play style is mandatory. No zerg/farm.
    10. There is no upper limit to this group. I'd love to see a large number create characters and form static groups or just be available for our 'PUGS'.

Zefjoe would like to play - either Rogue or Paladin if no-one else wants to but would REALLY like to be a
    Halfling, female; Rogue 10/Paladin 10 mutliclass TWF. I can just imagine all the eyerolls. . I'm thinking SA's when I don't have aggro and Smites when I get aggro. Plus very high saves and evasion.
    or
    Dwarf, male; pure Paladin THF with greataxe for DPS and Axe and Board for defensive.

Everyone chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora View Post
    I was undecided about what to play, but narrowed it down to a Paladin or Fighter. The rolls then decided (with enough to cover all the Paladin minimums) what it would be. And for the record, there was a minor mistake in the conversions. I almost had 3 stats 15+, but but was actually 1 "build point" short, so a 9 stat was raised to a 10 while a 15 had to be lowered to a 14. Here is the final result:

Jedial Sentinal of Storm
    Half Elf Paladin Level 1

STR 17
    DEX 10
    CON 10
    INT 9
    WIS 14
    CHA 15

1st Feat: Toughness
    Dilettante Feat: Cleric
    Skill Pts: UMD, Tumble, Balance

Quote Originally Posted by zefjoe View Post
    I was about to do it. Roll up my Ronguer... and then. My penchant for perversity raised it's ugly (yet fascinating) head.
    And... I caved. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Meet
    Vinegarune, Vigilante of Storm - Halfling female, albino. Psychotic 10/10 split...

No, not Rogue; a Vigilante - a stealthy Sneak Attacker that gets extra damage when flanking and not aggroed.
    No, not Paladin; a Vigilante - a zealous Smiter of Evil that gets extra damage when faced against evil and aggroed.

With good AC and high saves and a decent HP pool she is amazingly tough.
    With two methods of augmenting her attacks, coupled with TWF she should do respectable damage... not stellar... but respectable.

If Fedora - I mean Jedial - plays as the Heavy, then Vini will be the Light... or the Dark in her case.

Anyways...

Vinegarune, Vigilante of Storm

Born to a Halfling family just recently moved to Stormreach, as an albino it seemed to be a bad omen. Her parents left her with the Silver Flame to be raised. Growing up, training to one day be a Paladin she came afoul of the corrupt underworld of Stormreach. Abducted one night by a gang of thugs employed by one of the wealthy patrons of Stormreach, she was raped, beaten and left for dead. However, die she did not. She survived to be found by her Brethren of the Flame. When she attempted to find justice however, she learned that all others would have preferred if she had died. One of the thugs just happened to be the wayward son of that wealthy patron, and he had much influence with the Hierarchy of the Silver Flame. Long story short, she was publicly humiliated for being a harlot, denied justice and excommunicated from the Church. Now she seeks her own justice...

So the party now stands at
    Paladin - Fedora
    Ranger - Grondley
    Cleric - Fricko
    Rogue - Kierik
    Vigilante - Zefjoe

One spot left...

Quote Originally Posted by Fricko View Post
    ===

Percivull - "Percy", the Fried Friar of Storm

The old man peered into the pool of still water and frowned at his weathered, wrinkled reflection. The reflection frowned back, so he took another draw on the long clay pipe in hopes the mix of weed, seed, and fungal caps would hide one expression from the other in a pleasantly fragrant cloud of blue smoke. The Monk had been quite correct, in that smoking various mixtures of wild gathered bounty was much cheaper than purchasing the quantities of ale from taverns. With the pipe, he never woke up with a blinding headache, dumped in an rat infested alley with empty coin purse, and wondering who he was, where he was, and why he felt so horribly sick. Yes, smoking his pipes was both relaxing and entertaining, and left him able to carry on with life as it was presented with each new dawning. It was also free, if you did not count the time spent in gathering, dehydrating, and grinding.

Percy can start riots with words in many different venues. "Ignorance can be cured through education... there is nothing you can do for stupid but keep it out of taverns, temples, and politics!" He frequently prays out loud, head wreathed in that blue smoke. Some have claimed his prayers for lightening to strike their heads are offensive. Their offense does not stop his prayers. His frequent naps do bring the only relief top be found, short of shackles and a gag.

The refugee from the storm was originally known as Percivull Aloysius Tomeworm back in his home village of Boneshard, in the Greenhaunt Woods of Breland. He had once trained with his father and uncles to be a net fisher and boatman on Lake Brey, but war had a way of forcing families to be uprooted, and long traditions to be abandoned for survival. His Father had found work in Boneshard when he was still a child, and fishing as a family trade had changed to grave robbing in the ancient cemeteries and catacombs hidden beneath the tall trees of the forest. Olladra was the choice of the "recovery agents", as luck and plenty was what they most needed in their work. Percy saw that it was the village priest and two friars who seemed to work the least, and eat most often, while avoiding the dangerous tasks and horrid creatures to be found in the tombs. It was not long before he had wormed his way into the good graces of the local religious community, with the aim of becoming well fed, clothed in fine silk robes, and no longer accompanied by the stench of rot and decay except when actually in the presence of those who sought his blessings.

It was thus that he became a young acolyte cleric in actions, if not in actual belief and understanding. He joined the temple for the benefits to his personal comfort alone. So, young Percy was stunned to discover that the Gods were real, that the powers they bestowed were also real, and that those powers were dangerous to those who used them selfishly. The wrath of the Gods was not a pleasant memory for him even now, and he had spent much of his life running from the gods, attempting to drown the memories in ale. Wasted years, wasted time that would have been better spent learning things he should have mastered in his youth. Still, as his friend the Mushroom Monk had said, there is no time like the present moment to begin anew. Waiting for the morrow simply puts you a day behind where you would have been had you started today, and two days behind a start yesterday.

So, he would begin here in this tiny, unlikely, and isolated island village. He would begin with nothing, and build upon it. With little but rags and his pipe, and hopeful knowledge that the gods would provide if he did his part, he decided to trust in the Host and see what he could do to assist the villagers in their time of great need. Percy would finally become the cleric that his mother would have been proud of, had she lived to see him achieve the goal. The barkeeps of Sharn might call him "Percy the Fried Friar" now, but that would change, given time. The storm had brought him here for a reason, and he sensed the hand of Olladra behind it. On the Storm he had come. Of the Storm he would now be known.

====================================

Percivull, Friar of the Storm - The name used in DDO

Percy is a pure cleric who appears much older than his years, bald, gray eyed, gray haired, with an impressive mustache and beard that could very well have inhabitants. He is quite strong (15), a bit clumsy (9) perhaps due to the blue cloud of mushroom smoke, very healthy (14), intelligent (14), and wise (16), although a grumpy, glowering, and suspicious outlook has him presented as less than charismatic (9) to the public who do not know him.

He already plans to increase his skills in concentration, balance, jumping, and will continue studying the potential use of magical devices for holy purposes. He is known to be "Tough", both physically and mentally already, which is quite a pair of Feats at his age and status.

Percy favors a heavy mace and shield, but has heard interesting things about special sceptres and staffs that aid the calling of divine powers, and in the focus of those powers where they can best be applied. He admires the heavy plate armor seen on others, but worries about the weight and hindrance to freedom of movement. He has used crossbows in the past, and will probably seek out a heavy one as soon as possible.

=====

Jedial was born to an elven maiden, who married a human mercenary after he retired from too many battles in too many foreign lands, for too many worthless causes. At the age of 50, Jeriael, Captain of the mercenary band known as The Thunderstorm Blades, was forced into retirement by three decades of wounds, both mental and physical. He was tired of fighting for other men's causes, other men's ideals, and other men's greed. Yet retirement did not come without cost, as he was forced into exile and hiding from those he had fought and defeated. One does not fight for filthy lucre without making enemies, and once it was known he no longer led the Thunderstorm Blades, his head became a bright red bullseye for those wanting revenge. Thus it was he fled to the eastern forests where he found rest among the friendly elves of Silverdale Oakwoods. Here he served as a blacksmith, advised the elven rangers on matters of defense, and met a lovely young (she was only 65) elven maiden and they fell in love.

Though raised in a rural setting, the land itself bordered that of a Benevolent Knight who was friends with the elves. It was to this man, Sir Boyd De'Thalion, that Jeriael committed his son's training, wanting a more noble and honorable upbringing for him. He wanted Jedial to be a strong defender of the weak and a champion of good, not a hired mercenary as he had been.

So it was that Jedial served as a sword bearer and squire, learning the ways of knighthood, honor, and nobility of character. The physical training was rigorous, the spiritual training even more so. Still, aside from a few small skirmishes with bandits, orcs, and brigands, Jedial felt he was untested. Though his mother and friends constrained him to stay, Jedial insisted on setting forth on a journey of honor, only to return when he could feel himself worthy of Knighthood. His father and Sir Boyd did not try to hold him back. Instead they made Jedial promise to remember his training, remember his duty and calling to honor, and to always be on guard against the temptation to use his sword for personal gain, as Jerial had done with the Thunderstorm Blades.

Jedial is a man that guards against the storm. He is Jedial, Sentinel of Storm.

Summary of opinions on posts so far:

1. Grotto - let's do it for the 1k xp and a few minimal items/plat. Delete the magic weapon.
    2. Magic Restrictions - I'm okay with either this:

I'd be willing to allow a single heirloom item (whose potential is <= [level]) in addition to it.

or this:

As of this last update, you'll be finding a lot more items without a potential that have 3 or more effects.
    I suggested THESE be considered "heirloom", but giving them just a +1 potential and limiting such items to 1.

3. Death penalty - I don't recall the THCAO rules, and I'm also okay with kerik's idea, except you would get to keep your heirloom item.

4. Let's branch off (with a link provided here) to a new thread for STORM. Intruder put a lot of elbow grease into this THACO thread and I feel like we have hijacked it enough. We'll also post a link-back to this thread from the STORM thread.

Many more thoughts but now I'm already late! See ya'all later (I can post from work as the day allows).

Agreed.

The intent was never to hijack. Originally I was hoping to join THACO. As I have VET2 status, I could have started at 4 or 7, whicchever was closest to everyone else. But as the ball got rolling, and interest picked up, this evolved into the creation of STORM.

Still, I'd like the rules/playstyle to emulate THACO as much as possible.

So THACO still meets on Wednesdays, STORM will be a parallel group meeting on weekends, or whatever time yet TBD by consensus. So do we have a full house for STORM now?

Paladin
    Rogue/Paladin
    Cleric
    Cleric/Rogue
    Bard
    Ranger

Is that correct?

If others are interested we can continue to build to avoid short-man parties. If 7 or more show up for a quest, we can divide into 2 teams, perhaps supplement with a hireling if necessary?

Opinions/comments?

############

I propose a rule on hirelings. In classic AD&D, as I recall, they earned half the experience of the player character. So typically they lagged behind in level. So the hireling must be 2 levels lower than the lowest level player character in the party. They must be set to "defensive" mode only. A party with hirelings cannot exceed 5 members total, including the hireling(s). No gold seal hirelings.

So a 5-6 man party cannot bring a hireling.
    A 4-man party can bring 1 hireling.
    A 2-3 man party can bring 2 hirelings.

Opinions/comments?

I am going to copy/paste this post to a new thread and will edit this one with the link shortly.

Default Narcene Warden of Storm...

Ranger; Neutral Good. Came from a halfling family well known for its tinkering and mending but abhorrent in principle. Left/kicked out and became committed to nature. Unsatisfied with easy forest living, Narcene set out to Stormreach only to be stranded on Korthos; made it through the Grotto, now waits in the snowy village.

Str 12; Dex 15; Con 15; Int 10; Wis 13; Cha 10.

I would prefer not to depend on the walking drip bottles of cure called hirelings. If you are in a fight and loosing, you shouldn't be in that fight, run away, depend on Percy, Jedial, well basically anyone, or yourself to heal. Everyone on the list will have healing at some point.

My preference for gear is somewhere less then 'self funded' but not as restricted as THAC0. A simple easy rule set. No, hmmmm does this make the cut?, and saving items 'for later'. Like this suggestion; keep anything you want in your backpack, no bank storage, weight is limited to 10% of max weight. Or you can have only one tab of any equipable gear plus what you can carry. Potions, scrolls, tools, collectibles don't count. I'd like to be able to use 'nice things' but with out having 5 of everything.

Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHero5 View Post
    Ranger; Neutral Good. Came from a halfling family well known for its tinkering and mending but abhorrent in principle. Left/kicked out and became committed to nature. Unsatisfied with easy forest living, Narcene set out to Stormreach only to be stranded on Korthos; made it through the Grotto, now waits in the snowy village.

Str 12; Dex 15; Con 15; Int 10; Wis 13; Cha 10.

I would prefer not to depend on the walking drip bottles of cure called hirelings. If you are in a fight and loosing, you shouldn't be in that fight, run away, depend on Percy, Jedial, well basically anyone, or yourself to heal. Everyone on the list will have healing at some point.

My preference for gear is somewhere less then 'self funded' but not as restricted as THAC0. A simple easy rule set. No, hmmmm does this make the cut?, and saving items 'for later'. Like this suggestion; keep anything you want in your backpack, no bank storage, weight is limited to 10% of max weight. Or you can have only one tab of any equipable gear plus what you can carry. Potions, scrolls, tools, collectibles don't count. I'd like to be able to use 'nice things' but with out having 5 of everything.
    Hey Narcene ol buddy,
    Your stats are wrong from what you rolled.
    Your group has mandated random rolls.

Community Member

Fedora,
    Postumus has to work late and asked if you could sit in for him at 6pm to roll up his Bard.

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    Fedora,
    Postumus has to work late and asked if you could sit in for him at 6pm to roll up his Bard.
    I am going to PM him the stats and let him know to go ahead and do the grotto.

Default First Run

THAC0 STORM group needs to solidify a "first quest" run time and date.

It looks like Jedial, Narcene, and Percy are okay for Sunday evening? Please correct me if I got confused with who was saying what in party chat.

Posthumus confirmed via PM that he is good for Sunday night too, so his bard will be joining us.

Also, at least 3 of us are on EST, while Posthumus is on the west coast 3 hours behind.

So please post here if you can make it Sunday night, or if we need to come up with another time/date.

Default Cadrod

Cadrod Stin, Singer of Storm

Human Bard

S:15
    D:12
    C:14
    I:9
    W:13
    Ch:15

Awaits in the Wavecrest tavern.

Default Sunday

From PM:

Quote Originally Posted by kerikofgreyhawk
    I'm also EST. Later is better. What time is the group looking at?
    So far:

Fedora -- Sunday after 4PM
    Postumus -- Sunday night
    kerikofgreyhawk -- Sunday night

Community Member

This sounds interesting. Just a question:

Do you actually play as if in Eberron, with the existence of things such as Warforged, Artificers, (just not PC ones) Dragonmarked houses etc being acknowledged, or do you try to set it in one of the 2nd Ed. worlds to fit in with your ruleset?

Quote Originally Posted by Khatzhas View Post
    This sounds interesting. Just a question:

Do you actually play as if in Eberron, with the existence of things such as Warforged, Artificers, (just not PC ones) Dragonmarked houses etc being acknowledged, or do you try to set it in one of the 2nd Ed. worlds to fit in with your ruleset?
    I will need to defer the question to on of the group originators, who have been doing this for over a year.

Here is a stab at it though - I think it is a way to play based on 2nd Edition rules as opposed to a "world" or version 3.5 rules.

Player character races allowed are human, elf, halfling, half elf, and dwarf. WF, Drow, and Horc races are not allowed. Likewise, Arti class is not allowed.

Community Member

As I understand it, it is a roleplaying group though? So characters will actually talk in-character about things, and may reference things in the world that exists around them?

Is that world Eberron, as portrayed in the game, or do you play as if in a different setting, and if so, which?

The rules about whether you can play an artificer for example, are plain. The reasoning is less so, but that is not what I'm asking.
    Artificers are fairly central and specific to the Eberron setting. If my character told another "Go talk to that Artificer over there." would the response be "That what?"

Okay I see where you are coming from. I have not played with these guys yet, but spoken in game and about to start with another new guy and a couple from the group this weekend.

I could be wrong, but I don't know that it is a "lot" of role play involved while questing. Maybe it is, but that's not the impression I get. The "role play" seems to be more while here on the forums, journaling their adventures from the character's point of view.

Intruder1 or one of the other's can answer your question better. Honestly I could be way off. I'm not much of a "role player" in game so much as a "likes the storyline" that goes along with D&D or DDO.

Is this the current roster now?

Paladin
    Rogue/Paladin
    Cleric
    Cleric/Rogue
    Bard
    Ranger

Melee heavy but we should be tough to kill as we have plenty of healing options. I don't think we'll ever need hirelings considering every character is capable of self healing and healing others. Our potential damage output is lower than average, but again we should be very tough to kill so we'll be fine.

The only real difficulty I foresee is that our ability to spot traps won't be great since the clogue and pogue won't have enough skill points to max spot, search, AND disable. But that is nothing insurmountable, we'll just end up finding more traps the old fashioned way... with the Paladin.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast