Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

This evening's adventures were quite fun. First time in a few weeks we have had everyone present and accounted for! That was bad news for the kobolds and hobgoblins of Shan-To-Kor!

Currently STORM has five members, all have been with us from the beginning, although one character was re-specced from a Ranger/Rogue (or just ranger?) to pure rogue around level 4ish. So our current make-up is:

Cadrod - L6 Bard
    Specialities: Inspire, Blur, Crowd Control

Narcene - L6 Rogue
    Specialities: Traps, Bluff, Kill

Percivul - L6 Cleric
    Specialities: Healing, Blessing, Herding members who stray to far from group

Vinnie - L3 Paladin/L3 Rogue
    Specialities: Sneak Attack Smites, back-up trapsmith

Jedial - L6 Paladin
    Specialities: Kill stuff, bum rush casters

We started with the first quest in the Shan-to-Kor chain on elite, The Cloven-jaw Scourge: Blockade. Things were going well as we merrily hacked and slashed our way through waves of kobolds. Descending ever deeper into the maze of tunnels we came to an area inhabited by the undead. After clearing the main area of these undead, and defeating a small group of kobolds defending the room just before the descent into the next lower area, we decided to confront and slay the human necromancer responsible for creating the undead. Unfortunately, our group communication suffered a breakdown as some were still buffing when the final door was opened prematurely. Our scout, Narcene, was caught in the tunnel facing multiple enemies alone, and though Jedial was close on her heels he arrived a moment too late. Before Jedial could strike him down, the necromancer let loose a lightning strike and felled our little halfling scout. We decided that we were far enough along to continue the quest with Narcene's stone in our backback. This was a tough call... We were pretty far along in the quest and didn't want to start over, yet we weren't as close to the end as we thought. Narcene was a good sport though, and tagged along patiently as a ghost for the next 15 minutes or so. At the end of the quest, Jedial had acquired his long awaited 4th action point, and proceeded to a trainer to learn "Undying Call". Yay! Now STORM has the ability to bring dead members back to life. This would prove useful in the very next quest...

Next up was The Cloven-jaw Scourge: The Caverns of Shaagh on elite. Hobgoblins are most definately tougher than kobolds. However, our team work and savvy were up to the task. Early during the adventure (or was it toward the end of the previous adventure?) Percy realized he was forgetting to equip his devotion staff when casting heals and radiant bursts. Oops! (lol) Also, our little halfling Vinnie (the Greaser) managed to die twice during the quest (once forgetting to use her LOH - oops) but as Jedial had just picked up undying call, this was but a minor inconvenience.
    Last edited by Fedora1; 07-01-2013 at 06:42 AM.

Default What we have here... is a failiya ta communicate...

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora1 View Post
    Unfortunately, our group communication suffered a breakdown as some were still buffing when the final door was opened prematurely.
    And I paid for my mistake, two actually, wait for ALL buffs, and don't run down a tunnel, wait for them to come to you.

I started as a ranger but when our rouge couldn't make Sundays, I switched roles. I already have a half ass(assin) rogue, so I thought I'd try to reprise the ranger role by taking bow feats. The bow doesn't do as much damage as I'd like but I'm off the front line (as much as possible, I switch to sword if they get too close.
    No Char left behind; original join date, Oct 2010

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHeros View Post
    And I paid for my mistake, two actually, wait for ALL buffs, and don't run down a tunnel, wait for them to come to you.
    No worries, and don't take all the credit (blame) for the communication issue. It did seem like the buffs took a while, so it's no wonder one or two of us jumped the gun a little.

I started as a ranger but when our rouge couldn't make Sundays, I switched roles. I already have a half ass(assin) rogue, so I thought I'd try to reprise the ranger role by taking bow feats. The bow doesn't do as much damage as I'd like but I'm off the front line (as much as possible, I switch to sword if they get too close.
    What feats have you taken so far?

Community Member

Default How many licks does it take...?

You would think that I would have learned how to pull back from battle by now when the going gets tough, hunh?

Well like old sayin' goes, when the going gets tough, the tough should get go... wait that's not right. What?

Oh I know, it's not the size of the dog in the fight it's the size of the fight in the dog. Uh, ya.

In Vinnie's defense, her first death was as a result of not realizing that her WILL save was still under par for ELITE caster's HOLD. I think a WILL save needs to be 15 or better to save against a HOLD PERSON, which is what got her. She is specced for caster slaying but her saves still need a little unmph. She was at the top of a ladder going for the hobby cleric and HOLD froze her. That's all she wrote.

The second death came from the final battle of the 2nd? chapter of StK. The room full of clerics. The battle got intense, the frame rate dropped, the lag monster started nipping at her heels and before she could remember she had LOH, ding.

I wish I could say that I will try to be more careful in the future, but... it's my nature to go all in and keep swinging. Past experience in gaming has shown that it's often the "too early attempt" to ditch in the fight that costs the most in damage. I tend to put faith in my endurance, both real and virtual.

Well, I think it just adds character. Vinnie, Cal, and Blood - to the death! From Hells maw, I strike at thee. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Zefjoque View Post
    You would think that I would have learned how to pull back from battle by now when the going gets tough, hunh?

Well like old sayin' goes, when the going gets tough, the tough should get go... wait that's not right. What?

Oh I know, it's not the size of the dog in the fight it's the size of the fight in the dog. Uh, ya.

In Vinnie's defense, her first death was as a result of not realizing that her WILL save was still under par for ELITE caster's HOLD. I think a WILL save needs to be 15 or better to save against a HOLD PERSON, which is what got her. She is specced for caster slaying but her saves still need a little unmph. She was at the top of a ladder going for the hobby cleric and HOLD froze her. That's all she wrote.

The second death came from the final battle of the 2nd? chapter of StK. The room full of clerics. The battle got intense, the frame rate dropped, the lag monster started nipping at her heels and before she could remember she had LOH, ding.

I wish I could say that I will try to be more careful in the future, but... it's my nature to go all in and keep swinging. Past experience in gaming has shown that it's often the "too early attempt" to ditch in the fight that costs the most in damage. I tend to put faith in my endurance, both real and virtual.

Well, I think it just adds character. Vinnie, Cal, and Blood - to the death! From Hells maw, I strike at thee. Or something.
    LOL. Next time the frame rate drops, start spamming LOH. You might burn through all of them, but you'll still be alive.

What feats have you taken so far?
    Here is the plan till level 12, which will take us what, a year?

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.14.02
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Narcene Bow Rogue
    Level 12 Neutral Good Halfling Female
    (12 Rogue) 
    Hit Points: 104
    Spell Points: 0 
    BAB: 9\9\14
    Fortitude: 6
    Reflex: 13
    Will: 7

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 12)
    Strength             10                    10
    Dexterity            14                    18
    Constitution         12                    12
    Intelligence         14                    14
    Wisdom               15                    15
    Charisma             10                    10

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 12)
    Balance               6                    19
    Bluff                 4                    19
    Concentration         1                     1
    Diplomacy             0                     0
    Disable Device        6                    18
    Haggle                0                     0
    Heal                  2                     2
    Hide                  6                    29
    Intimidate            0                     0
    Jump                  3                    16
    Listen                2                     4
    Move Silently         6                    27
    Open Lock             6                    19
    Perform               n/a                   n/a
    Repair                2                     2
    Search                6                    17
    Spot                  6                    19
    Swim                  0                     0
    Tumble                3                     5
    Use Magic Device      4                    15

Level 1 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Point Blank Shot

Level 2 (Rogue)

Level 3 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Precise Shot

Level 4 (Rogue)

Level 5 (Rogue)

Level 6 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Precision
    Enhancement: Rogue Damage Boost I
    Enhancement: Rogue Damage Boost II
    Enhancement: Rogue Skill Boost I
    Enhancement: Rogue Skill Boost II
    Enhancement: Rogue Subtle Backstabbing I
    Enhancement: Rogue Assassin I
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy I
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training I
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training II
    Enhancement: Improved Disable Device I
    Enhancement: Improved Hide I
    Enhancement: Improved Hide II
    Enhancement: Improved Move Silently I
    Enhancement: Improved Move Silently II
    Enhancement: Improved Spot I
    Enhancement: Rogue Dexterity I

Level 7 (Rogue)

Level 8 (Rogue)

Level 9 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Rapid Shot

Level 10 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Improved Evasion

Level 11 (Rogue)

Level 12 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Manyshot
    Enhancement: Rogue Skill Boost III
    Enhancement: Rogue Skill Boost IV
    Enhancement: Rogue Faster Sneaking I
    Enhancement: Rogue Assassin II
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy II
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy III
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training III
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training IV
    Enhancement: Improved Spot II
    Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    start spamming LOH
    How many can she have? 2,3?
    No Char left behind; original join date, Oct 2010

Here is the plan till level 12, which will take us what, a year?
    For a good DPS increase, I would maybe suggest Rapid Shot over Precise Shot earlier.
    Last edited by Fedora1; 07-05-2013 at 06:45 AM.

Last night STORM was missing two members, Percy the Cleric and Narcene the Rogue.

The three other entrepid adventurers decided to hold off completing the last quest in STK until everyone was present, running a few stand alone quests instead. Jedial the Paladin, Cadrod the Bard, and Vinnie "the Greaser" our Pally/Rogue headed over to House D to run 3 of the 4 "Depths" quests. We had one death during the end fight with the ogres when Hammerfist the Mighty critically hit Jedial. However, as that was the last fight the quest was completed with Cadrod and Vinnie finishing off the bad guys. On a side note, it seems that whenever Jedial dies it is either from from critical hits or elemental traps/AOE spells. At the end of the evening he decided to switch out his Shocking Burst Great Axe (ML6) for a Shock Great Sword (ML2) and swap his Belt of Lesser False Life (ML1) for a Belt of Moderate Fortification (ML5). Hopefully this will reduce his susceptibility to crits although it means less DPS.

There were a few close moments with some earth elementals, including the end fight with Landslide. We lured the big guy out of the room to confront alone (away from the other 4 elementals) and killed him though we all were pretty beat up at the end. So Cadrod goes in and sings the other elementals into a trance while we loot the chest and make our get away. Did I ever mention how mmuch I like having a bard in the party?

Cadrod also made extensive effective use of charm person. A good one was the end fight with the hobgoblins when the party stayed out of the room and watched while Cadrod charmed two of the infiltrators who then were able to kill two of the clerics up on the ledges. Clearing the clerics on one ledge made it much easier to climb up and kill the remaining two on the other ledge.

Unfortunately Vinnie's trapping skills were not up to task on L5 elite quests without re-speccing them at a trainer. So we just did without a trapper for the evening. The traps in the Depths series are generally avoidable if one is careful.

Last we headed over to 3BC and pulled Guard Duty for Lars Riflee's ship and crew from Ruug's Rogues. This went well until the last few seconds, somehow Vinnie got blind sided and died. Again it was right at the end fight, and Jedial was able to raise the little halfling back to life anyway.

All in all another fun night, just wish Percy and Narcene could have been there.

Community Member

So Cadrod goes in and sings the other elementals into a trance while we loot the chest and make our get away. Did I ever mention how mmuch I like having a bard in the party?
    From what I've been able to read, the Bard's Facinate is a very overpowered ability. Can you say "easy button"?
    Try playing a Bard WITHOUT any points in Perform!
    Changes the whole character into what could only be refered to as an "Expert Hireling", or maybe a weak Sorcerer/Fighter.

But not at Elite. That type of character would only be worthwhile at Normal.

Quote Originally Posted by intruder1 View Post
    From what I've been able to read, the Bard's Facinate is a very overpowered ability. Can you say "easy button"?
    Changes the whole character into what could only be refered to as an "Expert Hireling", or maybe a weak Sorcerer/Fighter.

But not at Elite. That type of character would only be worthwhile at Normal.
    In practice, the fascinate is the best CC method out there. However, it takes a long wind up, and is very hard to pull off solo, and has limited amount of uses (especially without using rest shrines). Bards are generally under powered if you take away their buffs and songs. Everyone has to have something that makes them worth playing, you don't have to nerf everything you think is OP.

Would you roll up a rogue and take away his trapping and evasion?
    Would you roll up a paladin and take away his LOH?
    Would you roll up a ranger and take away his bow?

A bard is not the end-all, be-all class. There is no need to take away perform, it is what balances him with other classes.

EDIT - By the way, this post was not meant to shoot down your opinion or playstyle. I do enjoy the experiment of low magic. You are just more hard core about it that I am. lol
    Last edited by Fedora1; 07-08-2013 at 08:47 AM.

To me this is as nonsensical as saying "try playing a wizard without any spells!"

You do realize that without any ranks in perform a bard can't use ANY songs whatsoever? No inspire courage, inspire competence, etc. Without the ability to play songs, the core ability that actually defines the class, why would anyone bother playing a bard at all?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    You do realize that without any ranks in perform a bard can't use ANY songs whatsoever?
    Yes! Like I said, makes the character into something totally different.
    Not meaning to criticize here. Just yankin yer chain a bit.

Yes! Like I said, makes the character into something totally different.
    Not meaning to criticize here. Just yankin yer chain a bit.
    Hey Intruder, if you've still got the original AD&D player's handbook, can you post on the Bard class?

I recall you had to first level up as a fighter, then once reachiing whatever level you leveled up as a thief, then finally you could take levels as a bard.

I don't remember what abiities a bard actually had in AD&D. Spells... but can't think of what else.

Also didn't they get a load of hit points?

Community Member

No Bards in 1st ed handbook
    Just awestruck, wether it be a Dragon flying overhead Stormreach, that glowing character who just zoomed in'n'out of the Pub, or that i can drink a Beholder under the table and best of all rescuing Damsels in distress.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowDM View Post
    No Bards in 1st ed handbook
    Okay well based on my post above, perhaps 2nd edition. Anyway if someone could post the details. I'm just curious.

Community Member

http://www.2shared.com/document/Zq_V...ition_-_C.html

Click on the lower download button. Sorry its in pdf i can't copy and paste the relevant bit. suffice to say Bard is nothing like ddo version
    Just awestruck, wether it be a Dragon flying overhead Stormreach, that glowing character who just zoomed in'n'out of the Pub, or that i can drink a Beholder under the table and best of all rescuing Damsels in distress.

Okay well based on my post above, perhaps 2nd edition. Anyway if someone could post the details. I'm just curious.
    If I may...

There were bards in 1st edition AD&D. They were considered one of the "optional" classes.

Was gonna dig up my books for ya, but someone was nice enough to Wiki it already.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bard_(D...s_%26_Dragons)

To quote the applicable part:

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st edition (1977-1988)[edit]

Bards in First Edition AD&D were a special class unavailable for character creation. A character could become a bard only after meeting specific and difficult requirements, achieving levels in multiple character classes, becoming a bard only later. The process of becoming a bard in the First Edition was very similar to what would later be standardized in D&D as the prestige class — in fact, the First Edition bard eventually became the Fochlucan Lyrist Prestige class in the Third Edition supplement Complete Adventurer.

To become a bard, a human or half-elf had to begin with very high ability scores: Strength 15+, Wisdom 15+, Dexterity 15+ and Charisma 15+, Intelligence 12+ and Constitution 10+. These daunting requirements made bards one of the rarest character classes. Bards began the game as fighters, and after achieving 5th level (but before reaching 8th level), they had to dual-class as a thief, and after reaching 5th level as a thief (but before reaching 9th level), they had to dual-class again to druid. Once becoming a druid, the character then progressed as a bard.

Bards gained a limited number of druid spells, and could be any alignment that was neutral on at least one axis. Because of the nature of dual-classing in AD&D, bards had the combined abilities of both fighters and thieves, in addition to their newly acquired lore, druidic spells, all level dependent druidic abilities, additional languages known, a special ability to know legendary information about magic items they may encounter, and a percentage chance to automatically charm any creature that hears the bard's magical music. Because bards must have first acquired levels as fighter and thief, they are more powerful at first level than any other class.
    ...returns to /lurking.

Last edited by cdbd3rd; 07-09-2013 at 07:36 AM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    If I may...

There were bards in 1st edition AD&D. They were considered one of the "optional" classes.

Was gonna dig up my books for ya, but someone was nice enough to Wiki it already.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bard_(D...s_%26_Dragons)

To quote the applicable part:

...returns to /lurking.

Thank you very much! I forgot about the druid part!

Quote Originally Posted by SlowDM View Post
    http://www.2shared.com/document/Zq_V...ition_-_C.html

Click on the lower download button. Sorry its in pdf i can't copy and paste the relevant bit. suffice to say Bard is nothing like ddo version
    That site is blocked from where I work. :/

"...and a percentage chance to automatically charm any creature that hears the bard's magical music.

Which I think is aptly captured in the fascinate/enthrall/suggestion song abilities.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast