Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Exclamation CLONK! Cleric/Monk Build

After searching for hours on the forums to no avail I decided maybe posting a thread might get me the answers i want. I originally posted a thread trying to find a good healer build and was advised there to go with a clonk over a pure cleric heal bot. I don't know why its so hard to find builds on the forums that are up to date and have all the info i would need to make a viable clonk but im done trying and this is pretty much my last hope before i just get fed up and make a gimp build because im not 100% on what im doing.

SO... I need a solid build for a human Cleric/Monk

1. I need to know what stats to start with and why (i have 32 pt builds.)
    2. What feats to take and what level to take them and why im taking them?
    3. What enhancements i should grab and when?
    4. What weapon will i be using? Handwraps?
    5. If i should throw a level of wizard or fighter in there or not.
    6. Where to put my skillpoints (concentration, jump and rest in balance?)
    7. What level Should i go monk or should i start as a monk? If 1 level of fighter or wizard is viable, when?
    8. What tomes should I grab?

What i already kinda, sorta, maybe know or dont know-
    To take toughness at level 1, not sure what i should take for the other human feat. That there is alot of debate over i believe maximize spell or empower spell (I could be wrong on one of those.) The 2 levels of monk is for evasion, water stance, stunning attacks, and just the added survivability. I cant heal when im dead lol. Stats are giving me alot of confusion not sure wether or not to max wisdom or have it at 16 to free up some points, not sure how much charisma ill need for turn undead but im not sure if i really need to turn undead and if the points would be better spent somewhere else? Keep seeing peeps say Dex and Int should be at 8 but i feel like ill have the reflex saves of a turtle on its back and not enough skill points for concentration jump and balance (balance goes back to the turtle on its back thing.) I sell raid timers like they are going out of style so plat for tomes etc. isnt an issue. Thats about all i can come up with atm although im sure im leaving out some info.

I dont know why this always happens but any time i ask for build advice i tend to get even more confused by everyone disagreeing with each other, throwing out builds that are not really what im asking for, getting the wrong answers quick and the right answers after i make my character etc... So all i ask is that your information be thorough and not to bash anyone elses suggestions only to offer your own and your source, wether its a link to another forum or just your experience with playing the build. Thank you in advance and ill be checking back about every 5 minutes until i can make my character lol.

Community Member

Default ^^^

Also as a 1st life should i take mental toughness for the added sp or will i even need it? Also i know i get a free feat exchange at some point, would it be smart to take something else to help out more as i level and then change it later when im higher and need it?

Community Member

I know most people on this forum do this different but i like Wiz as 1st lvl,
    to get exp. retreat / shield from start, 2nd lvl Monk for fighting style.
    then either another lvl monk for evasion and the second feat or start with cleric.
    17 or 18 cleric depends on how much highlvl spells you want, i dont see evasion making a big difference if you plan on elite.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jugg3RnauT View Post
    SO... I need a solid build for a human Cleric/Monk

7. What level Should i go monk or should i start as a monk? If 1 level of fighter or wizard is viable, when?

What i already kinda, sorta, maybe know or dont know-
    To take toughness at level 1, not sure what i should take for the other human feat. That there is alot of debate over i believe maximize spell or empower spell (I could be wrong on one of those.) The 2 levels of monk is for evasion, water stance, stunning attacks, and just the added survivability. I cant heal when im dead lol. Stats are giving me alot of confusion not sure wether or not to max wisdom or have it at 16 to free up some points, not sure how much charisma ill need for turn undead but im not sure if i really need to turn undead and if the points would be better spent somewhere else? Keep seeing peeps say Dex and Int should be at 8 but i feel like ill have the reflex saves of a turtle on its back and not enough skill points for concentration jump and balance (balance goes back to the turtle on its back thing.) I sell raid timers like they are going out of style so plat for tomes etc. isnt an issue. Thats about all i can come up with atm although im sure im leaving out some info.
    I can give some rough(tbh maybe even outdated, not sure) advice here since I made a Human Cleric17/Monk2/Wiz1 about a year ago.. Got to cap and quickly deleted after a few weeks.(Was a toon I reserve for test builds, so is deleted often.) Without raid gear/really good twink gear, as an offensive spell caster I struggled in later levels. Vale and above was really hard since with twink gear I had less than optimal DC's and SP.. That being said it was a really fun build, and I'm sure if it wasn't a test toon, and I was willing to grind even the simplest of named gear it would have been a pretty good build.

Stats were something like

STR: 14
    DEX: 14
    CON: 14
    INT: 12
    WIS: 16
    CHA: 14
    +2's in all stats
    (May be wrong. can't remember.. and to tired to double check if this even adds up for a first life 32pnt build.. lol)

I can say, take cleric first level, since otherwise you'll never get all the meta's you need. That extra human feat is useless starting on monk if you want to be an offensive caster.

1-Cleric
    2-Monk
    3-7 Cleric
    8-Monk
    9-14 Cleric
    15-Wizard
    16-20 Cleric

You'll have really good AC if you self buff with scrolls/wands all the way till vale, so I melee'd until I grabbed my wizard level. I also only used scrolls/bursts to heal all the way to cap. Could insta-kill most mobs in vale even on elite, but I saw saves often enough to mainly BB kite.

Skills Maxed were
    UMD
    Concentration
    Balance
    1 pnt into tumble at creation
    And maybe I had some jump as well? idr..

Hardest part of this build was repeatedly telling people why I only scroll healed, and that they should carry their own damn scrolls if they didn't like it.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

It is annoying when people come on the forums asking the community to build their toon for them. That way, you won't understand the game mechanics and simply won't get better. If you post an idea, try to calculate hitpoints, saves, PRR and other things, you will learn a LOT. And you will understand a lot of things when people explain to you what improvements you could do.
    Posting a build takes me a few hours (I hate throwing the horrible character planner version).

Also, why do people never explain what they want to do with their build?
    Primary healer? DPS only? Viable casting? For EH? EE? TWF? Unarmed?

This may sound harsh but I'm only trying to advice you: first let us know the concept behind the toon you want to play and two, try to post your thoughts/ideas.

Sithali-1 ~ 31/31 Lives ~ Completionist
    OMNIPRESENCE
    The Sith Project ~ Youtube channel ~ Sithali, King of Burst DPS ~ Pyrene, the Endgame Paladin ~ Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Symerith View Post
    It is annoying when people come on the forums asking the community to build their toon for them. That way, you won't understand the game mechanics and simply won't get better. If you post an idea, try to calculate hitpoints, saves, PRR and other things, you will learn a LOT. And you will understand a lot of things when people explain to you what improvements you could do.
    Posting a build takes me a few hours (I hate throwing the horrible character planner version).

This may sound harsh but I'm only trying to advice you: first let us know the concept behind the toon you want to play and two, try to post your thoughts/ideas.
    This. All of this.
    +1 Sith.

It's hard to give people advice on build type/structure when they're unclear what purpose the build will serve. I'm sure any number of people on these forums could pull up a large number of builds for reference, but with no idea what you're building for, millage will undoubtedly vary.

Hell, I gave a offensive caster layout that would work, but without knowing any better, I could have simply gave you a melee clonk. lol
    Last edited by TheLegendOfAra; 03-20-2013 at 07:16 AM.

Community Member

Default ?

Sorry thought i was kind of thorough and maybe you couldnt tell by my # of posts but i dont really use these forums much, anyways i want to be a solid healer with i guess unarmed capabilities? How am i supposed to calculate hp, saves, and prr? (wish i knew what prr was) I kinda thought the concept of the toon would be when i said clonk but i guess there is many different clonks around? I will say out of any advice given so far this has helped me the least though..

Kinda think this is the reason i quit playing ddo the first time, you can ruin your character with the wrong build and builds are hard to find and when you ask for build you get outdated info or someone high and mighty telling you on the forums that asking for a build is stupid if you dont know exactly what you want in the first place? Tell me something though, would i be here asking about a build and trying to find one thats viable if i knew exactly what i wanted? no... I have an idea of what i want and im sorry that i didnt know exactly what i wanted but waiting at the character selection screen for over an hour to come back to replies like this isnt really with the whole going with the right build thing so i guess ill just stay off the forums off then if finding a build leads to all this stuff and make my own.
    Last edited by Jugg3RnauT; 03-20-2013 at 07:21 AM.

18cleric/2monk or 17/3monk or 17/2monk/1(fighter or arti).
    The first version is simple, easy to use.
    The second version can have monk buffs. It takes some practice to make it work.
    The third versions can have some other goodies like traps, etc.

Stats: 16 or more WIS or STR.
    Rest CON, DEX, CHA and INT in that order. Obviously you will still need some WIS if you take the dps route for casting, but not much.

So the two options:
    Go with high wisdom for stunning fist, instakills, and maybe everything is nothing, or perhaps exalted angel goodies.
    Or just go with high STR for some dps.

I would take the first option. Low dps, but many support abilities. You will never be bored with it.

Dont neglet dexterity. Reflex means a lot with or without evasion. But without high reflex, your evasion is useless.
    Take maximize, empower and empower heal as well, those will boost your bursts, and your blade barriers (with high WIS) will be usefull.

Take Quicken as well, as a meleeing cleric, you will need it always.
    Also take a toughness feat.

For weapons use handwraps mainly, unless you go with a fighter splash for two handed weapons. In that case, you could use armors too for PRR.

Important skills: Balance, concentration, some jump.

I know i didnt answer for everything you asked, but there is no clear way for a clonk.
    There are just too many options you can take.
    Like, you could go with super high CON and HP with also high saves (dwarf) to make a super duper surviver healer. Boring, but you could survive anything and keep the party up.
    Cannith
    Csodaszarvas
    Valyria - Hulkie - Sillymilly - Killberry - Silvyanna - Walour - Corgak - Thalrian-1

Sorry thought i was kind of thorough and maybe you couldnt tell by my # of posts but i dont really use these forums much, anyways i want to be a solid healer with i guess unarmed capabilities? How am i supposed to calculate hp, saves, and prr? (wish i knew what prr was) I kinda thought the concept of the toon would be when i said clonk but i guess there is many different clonks around? I will say out of any advice given so far this has helped me the least though..
    You don't get it... 2 people took the time to help you already by posting "build basics". Sadly, none of these build fit you because you didn't tell us what you wanted. Had you typed smthg like: Concept: Main healer w/ melee DPS, you wouldn't have wasted the time of those 2 persons.

There are many different endgames now: 4 difficulty settings, different playstyles, etc. There isn't ONE version of a clonk. One person will give you a GMOF unarmed melee clonk, another will give you a fury THF one, another one a LD focused on tactics.. or even another on casting. Define what you want and you will receive quality advice.

Well, posting or not posting on the forums isn't representative of your knowledge. Many endgame players don't.

How do you think I started posting my builds? I looked at other builds, chose a layout, a build split and with the help of DDO ressources (DDO Wiki, builds on forums, guides, character planner, destiny planner, ingame stuff...). Now, my first builds sucked but with advice here, I was able to improve. I can't tell you how much I learned by myself doing research, learning how to calculate hit points, spell points, DCs, tactics, AC, PRR (Physical Resistance Rating), damage number (this was by far the most interesting). And, my friend, THAT'S how you get better.

Take it as you want.. just trying to help you here.

And for your build, since you only want healing/Dps, dump charisma/wisdom, and go for str/con/dex, 17 cleric/2monk/1druid, half elf with rogue dilly in the Legendary Dreadnought destiny. Twists: Sense Weakness/Primal Scream/Brace for impact or endless faith. Dual boosts, mass heal, high stunning fist/stunning blow, aura, survivability w/ evasion/self heals.
    I just threw a build idea at you.. the result? you don't understand where all of this comes from and didn't learn anything in the proccess. If that's how you enjoy DDO, then forget all I said and enjoy the build

OMNIPRESENCE
    The Sith Project ~ Youtube channel ~ Sithali, King of Burst DPS ~ Pyrene, the Endgame Paladin ~ Facebook!

Community Member

Default was gonna +1 this but decided to +5 vorpal longsword it instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Moltier View Post
    18cleric/2monk or 17/3monk or 17/2monk/1(fighter or arti).
    The first version is simple, easy to use.
    The second version can have monk buffs. It takes some practice to make it work.
    The third versions can have some other goodies like traps, etc.

Stats: 16 or more WIS or STR.
    Rest CON, DEX, CHA and INT in that order. Obviously you will still need some WIS if you take the dps route for casting, but not much.

So the two options:
    Go with high wisdom for stunning fist, instakills, and maybe everything is nothing, or perhaps exalted angel goodies.
    Or just go with high STR for some dps.

I would take the first option. Low dps, but many support abilities. You will never be bored with it.

Dont neglet dexterity. Reflex means a lot with or without evasion. But without high reflex, your evasion is useless.
    Take maximize, empower and empower heal as well, those will boost your bursts, and your blade barriers (with high WIS) will be usefull.

Take Quicken as well, as a meleeing cleric, you will need it always.
    Also take a toughness feat.

For weapons use handwraps mainly, unless you go with a fighter splash for two handed weapons. In that case, you could use armors too for PRR.

Important skills: Balance, concentration, some jump.

I know i didnt answer for everything you asked, but there is no clear way for a clonk.
    There are just too many options you can take.
    Like, you could go with super high CON and HP with also high saves (dwarf) to make a super duper surviver healer. Boring, but you could survive anything and keep the party up.
    Just what I was looking for, thank you so much. Wish there was more people like you on the forums

Community Member

Default idk

You don't get it... 2 people took the time to help you already by posting "build basics". Sadly, none of these build fit you because you didn't tell us what you wanted. Had you typed smthg like: Concept: Main healer w/ melee DPS, you wouldn't have wasted the time of those 2 persons.

There are many different endgames now: 4 difficulty settings, different playstyles, etc. There isn't ONE version of a clonk. One person will give you a GMOF unarmed melee clonk, another will give you a fury THF one, another one a LD focused on tactics.. or even another on casting. Define what you want and you will receive quality advice.

Well, posting or not posting on the forums isn't representative of your knowledge. Many endgame players don't.

How do you think I started posting my builds? I looked at other builds, chose a layout, a build split and with the help of DDO ressources (DDO Wiki, builds on forums, guides, character planner, destiny planner, ingame stuff...). Now, my first builds sucked but with advice here, I was able to improve. I can't tell you how much I learned by myself doing research, learning how to calculate hit points, spell points, DCs, tactics, AC, PRR (Physical Resistance Rating), damage number (this was by far the most interesting). And, my friend, THAT'S how you get better.

Take it as you want.. just trying to help you here.

And for your build, since you only want healing/Dps, dump charisma/wisdom, and go for str/con/dex, 17 cleric/2monk/1druid, half elf with rogue dilly in the Legendary Dreadnought destiny. Twists: Sense Weakness/Primal Scream/Brace for impact or endless faith. Dual boosts, mass heal, high stunning fist/stunning blow, aura, survivability w/ evasion/self heals.
    I just threw a build idea at you.. the result? you don't understand where all of this comes from and didn't learn anything in the proccess. If that's how you enjoy DDO, then forget all I said and enjoy the build
    idk even know what to say to you other then your posts are the least helpful and most confusing, you remind me of that one person i knew that gave me a bunch of spam to read before i found the person with the right answer, or maybe just someone who isnt noob friendly but either way ill let u take the time to ponder on it while i go finally make my build thanks to the very simple and easy to follow advice of another wanting to help a nubski like myself.

Good day SAH!

I will say out of any advice given so far this has helped me the least though..

Kinda think this is the reason i quit playing ddo the first time, you can ruin your character with the wrong build and builds are hard to find and when you ask for build you get outdated info or someone high and mighty telling you on the forums that asking for a build is stupid if you dont know exactly what you want in the first place? Tell me something though, would i be here asking about a build and trying to find one thats viable if i knew exactly what i wanted? no... I have an idea of what i want and im sorry that i didnt know exactly what i wanted but waiting at the character selection screen for over an hour to come back to replies like this isnt really with the whole going with the right build thing so i guess ill just stay off the forums off then if finding a build leads to all this stuff and make my own.
    You roll a 1 on your perception check! Critical failure!

Community Member

Default i agree

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    You roll a 1 on your perception check! Critical failure!
    maybe next time you will get it although in your case i see alot of 1's being rolled

You say you want a healer build with melee DPS (after I ask you to give us an idea of what you want).

Moltier gives you a support melee DPS focused on casting and you say it's exactly what you wanted.

Man, you are the one that confuses me.

OMNIPRESENCE

So you ask for a build then dump on people when they offer you advice? Stay classy.

maybe next time you will get it although in your case i see alot of 1's being rolled
    Woooow.
    Seems you rolled a 1 on your sarcasm check as well.

It amazes me that you come asking for advice, and when the best possible advice is given to you, you act like the person who gave it is stupid. YOU are the reason we can't have nice things.

Community Member

Default Elitist jerks

You say you want a healer build with melee DPS (after I ask you to give us an idea of what you want).

Moltier gives you a support melee DPS focused on casting and you say it's exactly what you wanted.

Man, you are the one that confuses me.
    No after i posted my thread your advice was saying how there were a bunch of different types of clonks to choose from without explaining them so i just said i guess a solid healer with melee capabilities hoping for maybe a reply with an actual build not someone scanning forums because they have nothing better to do and wanting to confuse and not help nubs to the game. HE explained his build a bit and it sounded like something i would play, but either way your wrong and not just on a ddo forum level but on a snoody mean beep level. Elitist jerk is a good term for people like you.

Anyways you are kinda turning a advice on a build thread into a nerdrage party so ill be the mature one and stop replying to whatever pointless reply you post next.

Community Member

Default hmm

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Woooow.
    Seems you rolled a 1 on your sarcasm check as well.

It amazes me that you come asking for advice, and when the best possible advice is given to you, you act like the person who gave it is stupid. YOU are the reason we can't have nice things.

The best possible advice was that? lol you guys really dont like noobs do you? Either way its fine i have thick skin and can realize that im not really the one being disrespectful on here. I think i even asked in my original post for no bashing but what can you expect with all the kiddies on here. I think if someone actually took the time to go and read all the posts they would realize that the only thing that happened here was that i asked a question and got some disrespectful/unhelpful info on it from some elitist jerks that did nothing other then (go read the last paragraph of my first post) confuse and not help me and make me want to stay off the forums when i have a question because of people like u 2.

Its funny you ask a question in game and people tell you to go to the forums, you go to the forums and get bashed on for trying to learn how to play the game better when you ask your question. Atleast i got my answer though, its like a best friend, you got to wade through all the jerks first before you find it.

I dont know why this always happens but any time i ask for build advice i tend to get even more confused by everyone disagreeing with each other, throwing out builds that are not really what im asking for, getting the wrong answers quick and the right answers after i make my character etc... So all i ask is that your information be thorough and not to bash anyone elses suggestions only to offer your own and your source, wether its a link to another forum or just your experience with playing the build. Thank you in advance and ill be checking back about every 5 minutes until i can make my character lol.
    A few basics from my opinion and the rest is up to you.

1. Wis16-18(then add 4-5 level ups) Enhancements.. take everything that gets this higher
    - Con 16-18( 1-2 level ups with +3/+4 tome to get to 21 Con for Epic toughness (+50hp)
    - Cha if you want more Aura/Burst, Str if you want melee, rest is meh.

2. First Monk Level - Toughness, Stunning Fist, I then usually take Dragonmarks of Passage 1for Expedious retreat and 2 later for DDoor for levelling. I liked them so I kept them...
    Any Cleric variation should have.. Quicken, Empower healing
    Rest - suit to flavor.. I went with Maximize, empower,..

- All wisdom enhancments, Human adaptability. heal amp lines, toughness, ..

- for Melee based handwraps, Qstaff (if druid splash)
    - for caster based kama's.. 2 sticks are better for enhancements..Qstaffs are subpar for casters.

- This is a personal flavor choice Wiz for force damage enancement to boost BB, Druid for Shillelagh/pet/ramsmight, rogue for traps, Fighter for Feat, 3rd monk for lightside buffs 25%mana reduction cost, Barbarian/ranger sprint boost... or stay 2 monk...

- yes

- I would start monk. Monks get 4 skill points to start x4 at first level gets you 16 skill points to load up class skills of 4jump, 4balance, 4concentration, 1 tumble, rest wherever to suit your choice.
    - Wiz/Cleric only get 2 skill pointsx4=8 and only concentration is a class skill.
    - first few levels mobs and your caster spells are weak, just punch things with the best wraps you can find.

- all of them, the best you can get when you can get them.
    -Primary stats Wis/Cha/.. Con from point 1 above, +2 Int at level 1 nets you +1 skill point/level going forward.

There is lots of versatility in classes and multiclasses hence the disagreements.
    Play the way you like and adjust to your play style.
    Typically there are 3 focussed variations of the clonks.. Nanny, Melee, Battle Caster...
    It is difficult to be good at all 3 without sacraficing something somewhere.

My own variation is a 17Cleric/2Rogue/1Monk for epic traps..
    http://ddocrafting.info/myddo/argonnessen/jotmonheals/

There are lots of variations out there.. search for clonks.. or cleric/monk.
    Good writeups from Valliance Sirgog and phalaeo
    such as..
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=292100
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=307879

ddowiki.com for details on specifics from each class.
    Last edited by JOTMON; 03-22-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

The best possible advice was that? lol you guys really dont like noobs do you? Either way its fine i have thick skin and can realize that im not really the one being disrespectful on here. I think i even asked in my original post for no bashing but what can you expect with all the kiddies on here. I think if someone actually took the time to go and read all the posts they would realize that the only thing that happened here was that i asked a question and got some disrespectful/unhelpful info on it from some elitist jerks that did nothing other then (go read the last paragraph of my first post) confuse and not help me and make me want to stay off the forums when i have a question because of people like u 2.

Its funny you ask a question in game and people tell you to go to the forums, you go to the forums and get bashed on for trying to learn how to play the game better when you ask your question. Atleast i got my answer though, its like a best friend, you got to wade through all the jerks first before you find it.
    Yes, it honestly was.
    Sith basically told you that to get the best possible answer to the question you "asked" you had to be more specific. Way more. Which is true, especially on these forums, where builds have more to do with numbers and math that anything else.(At least from a min/max perspective.)

He also tried to tell you, that by coming on here and asking to be spoon-fed a build, you don't get the true experience of said build. You don't fully understand it's strengths and weaknesses. You don't LEARN the game. His advice, while not on the topic of "Clonks" was some of the best advice I've ever seen given to a noob. Which was simply to use your head.

Guess that's asking a lot these days.
    To many people dump int. Go figure.

You asked for us to not bash other people's builds/ideas, and none of us have as of yet. As for us giving you disrespectful/unhelpful info... That's just absurd. You got the best advice you could have, and ignored it. You also got build advice, which you ignored.

We're not being "Elitist Jerks" as you say, We gave you advice, and you bemoan that advice because it's not the answer you wanted to hear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast