Thread: spell choice

Default spell choice

I don't have math to back it up, but after 3 arti lives with max force lines 7/7/7, lucid dreams, etc. I find Tactical Detonation superior to BB. Anyone else agree? Maybe it's just the exclusivity of it, the cool sound effect, and the knock down, bit I don't even memorize BB anymore. TacDet the mob, prismatic the single target, deadly repeater and runearm to finish.
    When you stand out in the rain, you get wet.

The Long Shot - where I write about stuff: www.thelongshotist.com

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LongshotBro View Post
    I don't have math to back it up, but after 3 arti lives with max force lines 7/7/7, lucid dreams, etc. I find Tactical Detonation superior to BB. Anyone else agree? Maybe it's just the exclusivity of it, the cool sound effect, and the knock down, bit I don't even memorize BB anymore. TacDet the mob, prismatic the single target, deadly repeater and runearm to finish.
    I rarely found a slot for BB when I was on my Arti first life...and I might not when I get back to my Arti final life, either. I think its much more suited for a 1h melee Arti than a repeater Arti, its much easier to draw targets back and forth across the wall that way. Repeater artis try to keep out of melee range whenever possible, so that means much longer kite paths, and much fewer potential crossovers.

You can definitely get the damage up with Force enhancements, full metas, and Evoc DC boosts - but its going to cost so much SP for every cast that you pretty much have to have some means to regen your SP to make it practical.

Though, if you're using BB to full effect - which generally means kiting back and forth - you're not using your runearm to full effect, so there's a DPS tradeoff there too.

I like Tac Det better for repeater Artis as they benefit from the AoE CC more, but in terms of total potential damage-per-SP, you cant argue with BB hitting multiple times.

Community Member

Despite the fuss that was made when it was revealed that Artificers got blade barrier, it really only shines for specific soloing techniques. I suppose for divines, it was important because it comprises a large part of their potential damage, but artificers have other, potentially better damage options.

Tactical detonation is much more effective in a group situation, and often more effective when soloing. Hosing down CCed mobs with repeater fire and runearm blasts is generally better than trying to run them through the barriers.

I tend to use both to good effect. I usually tac/det then bb, then back up and tac/det again - and keep moving back and forth through the bb, trying to use IPS to hit as many mobs as possible.

If you're level 20 or over, I strongly recommend changing from Lucid Dreams to Archaic device - you'll do more damage that way. LD seems to only get around 50% of spell power, whereas Archaic device seems to get 80%.

I use BB when i get jumped,just for that first damage from the BB. Also im not much of a twitchy player,so there are lots of times its me in the middle with a turrent surrounded by BB. I am strong enough to take some hits without jumping around like my boots are on fire.I also drop them a lot when running to a quest. But of course i changed spells for the quest. Everybody plays different but i wouldnt have an arti without BB,its a very useful spell.