Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's the best (easy to acquire) cc weapon for epic elite?

I'm guessing an Epic Sirroco is one of the best (if not the best) cc weapons for epic elites. But I fear that it will be out of reach for me and my loot luck for a foreseeable future.

So has anyone got any advice on good crowd control weapons (preferably one handed) that can be acquired easier? So far I've found limb chopper and blinding effects to be quite good but would like to know of more.

Thanks
    The Tarcane Death knight; a solo friendly plate wearing (0% spell failure) arcane knight.

Does a GS earth grab work at all in EE? I don't know, but it does work pretty good at lower levels.
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    Quote from a shroud run "I am an idiot, not a newb"

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    Does a GS earth grab work at all in EE? I don't know, but it does work pretty good at lower levels.
    I've got a earthgrab guard and it works occasionally on ee, about 2 times per quest, so I guess a earthgrab weapon should proc a bit more from the amount of attacks. They seem to break lose very quickly from the guard though.

But I'd be interested to hear about peoples experiences with all those effects that can be found on random loot, earthgrab, freezing ice etc.
    The Tarcane Death knight; a solo friendly plate wearing (0% spell failure) arcane knight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    According to the wiki, it's a DC 35 reflex save...that's in the territory of save on a 2 for pretty much EE enemy.

I quite like Limbchopper after using Cleaver a lot recently on my WF Juggernaut...being able to more easily out-maneuver enemies can save a lot of HP.

Really, though, most CC abilities on weapons suffer from the same problem that spells and so much more are suffering from now - the enemy saves are too friggin high on EE enemies.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Anything with an "on hit, save" is likely to only work when they roll a 1. Unsure how well the Slaver's Hand Crossbow and other work as their durations are decreased. There are also things like Stout Oak Walking Stick w/ hits on-20-trip-no-save ... but still, we're looking at a 5% across the board.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Anything with an "on hit, save" is likely to only work when they roll a 1. Unsure how well the Slaver's Hand Crossbow and other work as their durations are decreased. There are also things like Stout Oak Walking Stick w/ hits on-20-trip-no-save ... but still, we're looking at a 5% across the board.
    This does indeed seem to be the case, Walking stick would have been nice if it was a one handed weapon.

Looking around on the wiki it seems like Blade of the High Priestess with its improved paralyzing (5% chance since it's a on hit save effect) would be my best option for one handed. Epic Midnight Greetings would be better with its Improved deception on top of Improved paralyzing but it can't be bought from the auction house so might be a bit of unnecessary effort just for cc usage.

Quote Originally Posted by legendlore View Post
    This does indeed seem to be the case, Walking stick would have been nice if it was a one handed weapon.

Looking around on the wiki it seems like Blade of the High Priestess with its improved paralyzing (5% chance since it's a on hit save effect) would be my best option for one handed. Epic Midnight Greetings would be better with its Improved deception on top of Improved paralyzing but it can't be bought from the auction house so might be a bit of unnecessary effort just for cc usage.
    I think the Walking stick in the hands of a Legendary Dreadnaught spamming Lay Waste would be pretty effective at crowd control.

Community Member

Ill be honest any non finesse/ dagger spec buying up high priestess blades just to have situational CC is doing an extreme disservice to the player community. Yes the fact it couples wisdom damage with Imp Para is a nice combo, but to be honest outside of epic normal doesnt proc much still due to the high rate of stat dmg recovery EH and EE mobs possess.

Instead Id suggest grinding out your own house C khopesh which has para and decent DPS. coupled with a drow khopesh Ive seen some twin pesh users keeping hoardes at bay while tearing them apart.

Likewise scirroco due to its save is one of the biggest wastes of a weapon effect in game, your better off with a random loot gen scim or rapier with radiance at least if your a rogue. because as before in Epic dif status effects in general wear off too fast. its really all about DPS these days as any time spent doing anything else is literally a waste. The devs clearly want this as they have yet to after all these years use other then bloated numbers as a means to increase difficulty

Best bet is to combine multiple effects. Start with a frozen tunic, and build out from there. Even with saves, some kind of effect is better than none. If you're putting out 2-3 save effects every couple of seconds (or faster), 1s will be rolled.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Those water weapons from cannith have imp paralizing on them too

Elemental kophesh of water lvl 20 has freezing ice and improved paralyzing.

Although I dont have that, I have played with dual Tinah, the sword of the sea, and his freezing ice works sometimes on undead, casters and other low fortitude enemies.

So is also good to know that effects can work more often depending of the type of enemy and his saves, for example freezing ice works better on low fortitude enemies, improved paralyzing works better on low will save enemies, Earthgrab works better on low reflex enemies, etc.

But for EE and critable enemies, yeah, is probably better to go with dps, instead cc. (I like tinah for undeads zombies or without DR because it also does good dps with base damage, crushing wave, supreme good and has a little chance for freezing ice)
    Last edited by boredman; 03-20-2013 at 12:48 PM.

Community Member

For EE? The mobs saves in the level 24 EEs are too high for anything to be effective. Sure they can roll 1s, that's the only time you'll see something CC'd from a weapon proc.

Don't rely on it, it's a fool's errand.
    Personal d000m level: 83%

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Ape_Man does clever trolling nothing more. Don't feed him/her.

Radiance, and that's not even real CC, its damage mitigation.

For EE's, that's about it.
    The Theorybuild Author
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstronglord View Post
    Up to this point we've all been beating around the bush. Lolth has a very small box in which you can hit her.

Thanks for the insight everyone, it's been very helpful just to see what options that are available.

Tested using an improved paralyzing weapon just to see if it worked decently often and while it did go of now and then the paralysis didn't last long enough to be very effective sadly (so pretty much what I expected from advice given).

Might try to get an epic Big top hat instead to be able to dance some casters now and then instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Best bet is to combine multiple effects. Start with a frozen tunic, and build out from there. Even with saves, some kind of effect is better than none. If you're putting out 2-3 save effects every couple of seconds (or faster), 1s will be rolled.
    This would be interesting to try, unfortunately my current set up doesn't leave much room for multiple gear swapping. Will have to try this later though.

Community Member

Hi,

I like blinding weapons, like a Rad 2 GS weapons or the epic elemental rapier of air.

The blindness does make the mobs a little unpredictable though, in that they move around a lot and swing randomly. That can be dangerous in its own way.

Thanks.
    Astrican on Khyber

The more effects you pile on, the more you will see them. Like others have mentioned, it's pretty much save on all but a 1 so most effects have a 5% proc rate at best. If you could get a theoretical group of 6 toons all wielding Cleavers with limbchopper effect, you would notice it much more than if only one member were using it. You could keep the Stout Walking Stick handy for skeleton encounters.

In the end it really depends on what your goals are for endgame. My rotation is basically EE Tor, EE Pop and a few other quests scattered in, so I look for the cc that will be effective in those 2 quests. I get a lot of use out of the adrenaline fueled knockdown ability and Cleaver, which is amazing against giants.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

weapons with 'on every hit make a save' are essentialy 1/20 on EE.
    weapons with 'chance to proc.. DC 15 to 35 save' are essentialy % proc x 1/20. (ie your looking at 1/400+ for most)
    weapons with 'chance to proc no save' are generaly 1/20 ish...

Honestly when it comes to epic elits - if your not specced for tactics the best CC weapon is probly a paraliser!

The best mele CC options in my opinion for epic elites are:
    Stunning blow/fist, improved trip, momentum swing, drifting lotus. - IF you spec for them.

My fighter CC's drow beter than my wizy.... but stunning giants is damn tuff.
    Ex Euro player from devourer: Charaters on orien(Officer of Under Estimated & Nightfox): Wrothgar, Cobolt, Shadeweaver, TheMetal, Metaphysical, Allfred, Razortusk and many more.
    stuff by me: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...02#post4938302

Not true crowd control, but some of the best things to help in EE are:

Limb chopper - Slows down attacks and movement of bad guys rather well. Prevents a lot of incoming damage. No save vs it. You roll a 20 confirmed crit, it goes off.

Anything that blinds- Radiance, blinding embers etc- one bad side effects seems to be, they run around like chickens with out their heads. But once again, no save.
    Officer - Eternal Wrath
    Burne Level 20 Human Paladin
    Sarlona

Community Member

I picked up a wintry of radiance longsword, Icy Burst, Freezing Ice and Radiance. Radiance is the best 'CC' for EE as although you could describe it as damage mitigation, it is still a form of crowd control.

Twist in Balanced attacks (Rank 3, Tier III) from the Primal Avatar destiny, +6 to attk and no save knock down for 2 seconds on a vorpal, its take them another second or two to get up and start attacking and you knock em down
    again. Its easy to think that its just 2 seconds but there is always a bit of a pause in the mobs attack as they are getting up, on a speed attack type of build this is pretty useful.
    I use it on my 12 Ranger Tempest, 6 fighter, 2 monk WSS Build which attacks pretty fast.
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

The key is to get effects that do not allow enemies to save against. One has already been mentioned multiple times: Limbchopper is excellent in epic elite. However, there are only a couple of one-handers that have it available, neither of which are epic-level weapons.

Having Tendon Slice 10% isn't bad either; at this point I'd rather have it on my Seal of Dun'Robar than Stunning +10 or Shatter +10, as neither lands very often on EE content. There's no save and it can make kiting simple or regaining monster attention easier if a ranged class pulls it from you.

If you're interested in 5% Procs, perhaps the Epic Timeblade would be of interest. It has Improved Paralyzing and Improved Slowburst, both of which have saves but are on-hit and will ultimately mitigate some damage. It also comes with 6% doublestrike, giving you a slightly higher chance of applying those effects.

Otherwise, look into getting something with Cursespewing or Improved Cursespewing; neither have a save and both lower enemy saves, which makes it easier to land CCs or insta-kills for your group members.
    Forcin - Orien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast