Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Setting your own shard to cash exchange rate

It's wise to have a simple number in mind when thinking in terms of what real world value all of the in-game virtual items have. TP was relatively easy to ballpark given the approximate exchange rate of 1 cent per TP; simple to compute a final "real world" cost with that exchange. Shards complicate this as it's a second layer, but individually we can boil it back down to one number that we each use to mentally make the exchange.

I did a quick spreadsheet to see for myself and here's what I came up with:

There are six shard packages in the DDO store (don't ask me how we'll all be able to handle such redundancy in the DDO store, but whatever ). Those six packages give a shard to TP exchange range of 5.59 up to 6.5 TP per shard. Given the TP you can purchase during double bonus point sales, the actual cash value of a shard is anywhere from about 3.3 cents to 7.4 cents; buying TP outside of point sales (that is, at "full cost") puts the cash value of a shard between 4.8 cents and 8.6 cents.

As a middle of road example, if you buy the $34.99 TP package on a double points sale, you're spending 0.85 cents per TP; if you turn around and buy the 100 shard package for 595 TP, then you've ended up spending 5.1 cents per shard. That figure works for me, personally, as that's the TP package I've bought a couple times in the past and would likely continue to purchase.

Now, everyone will have varied buying habits (as well as various local currencies - my cash is in US dollars), but if you want to be mindful of what you're actually spending, then it's reasonably accurate and quick to use 5 cents per shard; if you want to err on the side of assigning higher cash value, then pick a slightly higher number for your personal exchange rate - 7 or 8 cents per shard would also be reasonably accurate especially if you tend to buy TP in the smallest quantity packages. But pick a number from about 4 to 8 cents that matches your habit, then keep that one number in mind when deciding what is or isn't a good value for yourself.

So... for example, each gold roll in daily dice would cost me 75 cents(!!!). Each silver roll would cost me 15 cents. The lolth trinket that appeared to sell in the cash market while I watched earlier would have cost me $1.50 at the 30 shard buyout it was listed for.

Mine will be 0:0 because I have no intention whatsoever of using this BS system which is a total cash grab attempt that adds nothing of value to this game.
    Shmuel Xadin Xadins Errand Mohnster Yitzhak

Quote Originally Posted by Shmuel View Post
    Mine will be 0:0 because I have no intention whatsoever of using this BS system which is a total cash grab attempt that adds nothing of value to this game.
    Ditto. This 'patch' has to go down as one of the most disappointing ever which, given
    Turbine's track record over the past 12 months or so, is some feat.

Quote Originally Posted by knockcocker View Post
    Ditto. This 'patch' has to go down as one of the most disappointing ever which, given
    Turbine's track record over the past 12 months or so, is some feat.
    It's up there with: The Offer Wall...

*shudder* I feel dirty even typing it..
    Officer of the Platinum Knights of Cannith, Founder of the guild GHOSTBANE of Cannith
    Main - Death - Completionist and then some...
    Other Characters - Holy, Leap, War, Optimusprime, Intimitank, Lanfear, Can, Afkbiobrb, Garagesale, Leverpuller and many more

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Cool, I personally will enjoy it as much as the opportunity presents (good deals) because the increadibly trivial amount of money this game costs compared to more established entertainment, and because I like the game and want it to continue, so I'm willing to spend paltry sums on it freely.

Of course no buying of shards is actually strictly necessary if you have any good bind on equip non raid gear to sell there, and a COUPLE shards from say, crunching a AD, rolling a 9 on the daily dice, or getting the free sample a while back.

So even if you have a personal objection to monetizing the game more, or a desire to see the game fold up, or just can't afford to spend money on it (or whatever motivation you might have) there's really no reason not to use it..
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

2014 DDO Players Council

...this BS system which is a total cash grab attempt that adds nothing of value to this game.
    While, too, feel that this is a cash-grab and bad thing for the game, I'm pretty sure it's going to catch on. Enough people will start using it that more will until it's firmly entrenched.

Community Member

Look it's fine if you don't plan to buy shards, this topic is not for you. For me and many players there will be no fundamental difference in how we make value judgements over how much money we put into the game - what will be different, perhaps increasingly so, is how we calculate one side of that judgment. Call it Turbine Points or call it Astral Shards or Cashtral Shards, one way or another real money gets converted into a virtual item of some sort. If it wasn't worth buying for TP/cash then it still wont be worth buying for shard/cash.

The topic is how to simplify that side of the judgement back down into a single representative number for exchange rate from cash. To do it reasonably accurately without keeping a calculator open when we play.

Check my math, argue for a different shard to cash exchange rate, but we already know many players will boycott shards.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by hit_fido View Post
    It's wise to have a simple number in mind when thinking in terms of what real world value all of the in-game virtual items have.

I did this earlier I assumed the 59.99 double points deals. I came up with:

147tp per dollar
    19 real dollars worth of TP to buy a 500 AS pack
    comes to ~ 26 AS per dollar

Now to make it easy round 147tp to 150 TP's per dollar
    Round the cost of 500 AS to 20 bucks
    Round 26 shards per dollar to 25

150tps = 25 shards
    $1 = 25 shards
    $20 = 500 shards.
    150k plat* = 25 shards
    25 shards = 150k plat*

* 150k plat value based on raid timers (low estimate usually it's 175-180k on Thelanis AH).

BTW that 30 shard Lolth Trinket was a smokin hot deal at about 175k plat conversion... My early observation is they seem to run easy 175-200 shards which translates nicely to the not unusual platinum cost on Thelanis of 1-1.2mil plat.

It's fascinating watching a brand new free market, and how quickly prices normalize
    Last edited by IronClan; 03-18-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

Quote Originally Posted by hit_fido View Post
    Check my math, argue for a different shard to cash exchange rate, but we already know many players will boycott shards.
    Your math looks good. Well, as good as a random assortment of pricing structures and changing variables is going to look. I, for one, appreciate you taking the time to do this. I'd already settled on a 6 cent per shard cost as a ballpark number but it's nice to see some more informed figures.

Damn shards. Now I have to keep a log of how many and what discount TP I bought. Maybe I'll just go with 7 cents and forget about it. I don't figure I'll use many one way the other.

Thanks again.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

BTW that 30 shard Lolth Trinket was a smokin hot deal at about 175k plat conversion... My early observation is they seem to run easy 175-200 shards which translates nicely to the not unusual platinum cost on Thelanis of 1-1.2mil plat.

It's fascinating watching a brand new free market, and how quickly prices normalize
    Yes agreed, it is going to be interesting. That is also interesting regarding evaluating whether to bid (buy) an item based on different "currency" - if I see 175k plat, it is a no brainer for me, but if I see $1.50? It's really not worth that to me! And if I see it posted for 200 shards, or in other words, $10? No freaking way. But that's me and my value judgement, maybe someone else decides it's worth $10 to avoid some grind.

And that's exactly to the point about knowing when you're spending play money (plat) versus proxy money (TP/shards) versus cash, and judging the value accordingly.

meh, it's no more cash grab the offering those TP codes and allowing the item trades for TPs
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    meh, it's no more cash grab the offering those TP codes and allowing the item trades for TPs
    Its more cash grab.
    You can buy TP codes and trade them without Turbine cutting another 30%+ after getting 100% of your cash.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

I did this earlier I assumed the 59.99 double points deals. I came up with:

147tp per dollar
    19 real dollars worth of TP to buy a 500 AS pack
    comes to ~ 26 AS per dollar

Now to make it easy round 147tp to 150 TP's per dollar
    Round the cost of 500 AS to 20 bucks
    Round 26 shards per dollar to 25

150tps = 25 shards
    $1 = 25 shards
    $20 = 500 shards.
    150k plat* = 25 shards
    25 shards = 150k plat*

* 150k plat value based on raid timers (low estimate usually it's 175-180k on Thelanis AH).

I don't get the $20 = 500 shards.

It doesn't seem realistic to me. I can't speak for others but I don't buy 60$ tp (much less the two higher up packs) bundles but rather spend 20$ now and then for 1600tp.

At this rate there is no way I can get 500as for 20$, it's more like 1590tp for 280AS which is 20$ or 35$ for 500AS if you use the regular prices and get 500as for 2795 in the DDO store in game.
    Last edited by SilkofDrasnia; 03-18-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    Insulting the development team is not allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendrak
    Somebody should definitely explain to Turbine that when they roll up a new GM that INT is not dump stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    Its more cash grab.
    You can buy TP codes and trade them without Turbine cutting another 30%+ after getting 100% of your cash.
    they offered a safer cash-to-item system as well as the ability to sell the bound BtCoE items for a service fee
    you can choose to continue your way of demanding specific TP codes
    or you can now actually get items with values in between those set amount of TP codes

regardless, i don't see any problem with it, unless people are just afraid they'll lose some opportunity to sell their items for straight TP
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Quote Originally Posted by SilkofDrasnia View Post

It doesn't seem realistic to me. I can't speak for others but I don't buy 60$ tp (much less the two higher up packs) bundles but rather spend 20$ now and then for 1600tp.

At this rate there is no way I can get 500as for 20$, it's more like 1590tp for 280AS which is 20$ or 35$ for 500AS if you use the regular prices and get 500as for 2795 in the DDO store in game.
    Everyone is in different disposable income situation you'll need to adjust your "conversion rate" to suit you. That I think is the main thing the OP is getting at, and I added my conversion for anyone who tends to buy the 59.99 double points packs on sale. Which is what I do.

Your best value is to wait for a sale and save the money you would have spent $20 at a time on a one bigger pack, but I'm not trying to preach here, spend how you want, just saying the best value will always be in volume TP packs during double bonus sales (or even better triple).

I guess some people really want the ASAH to be successful. I logged on and the second thing I did was pull up the ASAH. not sure why someone would want to buy a +1 acid touched bastard sword for AS, when I could buy one from the AH if I really really wanted one or just pull one from Korthos.

if I were to spend AS, it would be on something more meaningful and something I would actually use for more than a minute. but I guess scrolling through the items list, everything but the kitchen sink is listed. should be fun going to AH and ASAH looking for something when the plan is for the ASAH to eventually take over.

Quote Originally Posted by darksol23 View Post
    It's up there with: The Offer Wall...

*shudder* I feel dirty even typing it..
    Not even close. The Offer Wall was a trogen infested mess.

The AH looks, somewhat to my surprise, like it will be useful. Once you ignore the "storage" postings (which you also have to ignore on the plat AH), there are some good deals there. I wouldn't have paid Turbine's price for a +2 tome, but I'm seeing them on the AS AH for 15-50 (3-10 AS) cents. That's nothing. Not that I need any +2s myself, but for a new player, why the heck not. It's certainly a better investment than any of the cosmetic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkofDrasnia View Post

To my mind it makes no sense to buy TP for anything less than the $99 package with the double points on sale, then take a year to use em up (or whatever rate you spend at). Otherwise you are just paying too much.

But the OP's point is sound, pick YOUR pricepoint and make your judgement accordingly. If an AS is worth 10cents to you then multiply accordingly. It's just good to consider what you are really paying because "10" doesn't look like as much as $1 (or whatever your exchange rate is).

OK - funny math here and I'm going to use in-game currency and not REAL Money, like USD or EUR. Why? too many bundles, bonus points, and of course 500TP/month for VIPs.

Using AS, TP, and Plat Only (and as has been used previously Raid Timers for conversion purposes since they are traded regularly in game and are bought with TPs)

150 TP = 1 Raid Timer
    1 Raid Timer = Approx. 150K Plat
    1 TP = 1K Plat

AS are roughly between 5.59 and 6.5 TP each (depending on the bundle you buy) We'll use 6.04 for my calculations and my funny math

THEREFORE 1 AS = 6040 Plat

I'm sure there'll be some fluctuation being this is becoming a "more established currency" in game, but that's what it looks like tome right now - and the prices of Raid Bypass timers fluctuates - I've seen them as high as 300K and as low as 99K.

Now - this means I'm seeing EH Dragon helms for roughly 5-6 mil plat on shard exchange - but other items are fairly cheap -

I know I'll probably buy some AS just to get a few deals here and there, but I'll mainly stick to regular AH and trading with friends item/item or item/plat.
    "Melkorr (Completionist "Toaster of Vengeance") ~ Angrond (TWF Jugg) ~ Telchacar ~ Celebrimor (Bank) ~ Manados
    Thelanis

Officer of The Innfellows

2015 DDO Players Council Starla70's Avatar

I spend enough on this game as is. I do not plan on using shard unless I get them somewhere. It is a total money grab, and can't say I like it at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast