Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I did my first FoT on EH yesterday. I was the last to join a semi PUG full of good players with well geared characters (Ayspam, Quickhealz and others). They discussed strategy for a while before starting.

When it started I was happy to be one of the healers and to reach close to 1k HP.
    I mean ... there were like 3 dragons + 3 giants + 1 dracolich + wraiths in the first part.
    Then undead versions of the dragons + Stormreaver dealing massive electric damage. I was only able to survive 2 electric blasts (first one around 800 dmg, second one 600ish), died to two blasts (1000 dmg does not forgive). We had close to 20 deaths in this very solid group.

What will happen with regular PUGs?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by gerardIII View Post
    What will happen with regular PUGs?
    They will run the raid on normal and easily complete.
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

Would it really be so horrible if the default difficulty for complete pugs was EN? It sounds like once guilds/channels get geared with some electric absorption items then EH should be commonplace with few/no deaths while spending minimal resources again. And EE will be for those who are experienced and well equipped with solid strategies in use.
    Ascent, Argonnessen ~ Cleatus Yogurthawker | Isostatic Rebound | Mohorovicic Discontinuity | Angular Unconformity
    Ghalanda ~
    Feldspathic Greywacke

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley_Nicholas View Post
    Would it really be so horrible if the default difficulty for complete pugs was EN? It sounds like once guilds/channels get geared with some electric absorption items then EH should be commonplace with few/no deaths while spending minimal resources again. And EE will be for those who are experienced and well equipped with solid strategies in use.
    I had absorption item but low reflex and still got hit for 1000+. So reflex and strategy is important. Gear is only help so far.

Pretty fun though. Have to keep your wits about you.
    Varz
    Wanderlust

Community Member

I did EH raid a couple of times before the patch, but I thought it is nothing spectacular... I was really disappointed after I read how people was amazed by the raid on Lama. Combined it with the fact, that the swim part in Crucible on EE was not even challenging on a BARD, the only blast from epic GH was the blue dragon from Tor. Changes were necessary I guess.

This raid now requires some awareness of your surroundings.

It has been reported that the stormreaver's lightning bomb shoots out in a bolt and its range can reach end to end of the raid room. Thereafter the Boom occurs.

From what I understand the bolt can be avoided like any ray spell, however this is from what others have told me.

Now another thing you need to be made aware of when tanking the stormreaver, the lightning bomb has a debuff, as well as the breath attack of the dragons, the most detrimental of the debuffs is the lowering of your reflex saves, so even for a person with a high reflex save, over time when the debuffs reach 5/5 for example, the person could in the end fail a save and be hit for a massive damage that can only result in death.

There are ways to mitigate this death, 1st is to wear a spell absorption item, however as with any raid sometimes the fight goes on for far longer then expected and your absorption item runs out of charges.

2nd is to trade the tanking of the stormreaver between 2 persons, so that over time the debuff slowly trickles down back to 0 thus avoiding the fail of a reflex save and/or taking of massive damage.

The wearing of electric absorption item is good to have, however pit that against the fact that most average toon might have 600++hp or so, the constant incremental lowering of reflex save combined with the dot like effect that multiples electrical damage over time, you are bound to die if you don't have a strategy.

As mentioned by many threads on this topic, you can kite the stormreaver in a tight circle so as to avoid him 'dotting' you so that in the end your gears and electric absorption would help you live, long enough for the completion of this raid.

I also mentioned this before, the dragons (live and ghostly alike) have a debuff that their breath weapon gives out, so I will always advocate that they be killed, as you would never know when their aggro will be on you or anyone in your party.

I thought I should pen this down in this thread, just my 2cents from more observations and advise I've gotten from people who ran this more than me since 17.1 was out.

Cheers.
    Retired Gimp of Crimson Eagles
    Stopwound - Healwound - Songwound - Cursewound - Patchwound - Saltwound

Community Member

So what exactly is the point of the crystal than if it does not stop the spawning of the undead dragons? (anything aside from it being necessary to complete the raid)
    Last edited by moo_cow; 03-20-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emptysands View Post
    I had absorption item but low reflex and still got hit for 1000+. So reflex and strategy is important. Gear is only help so far.

Pretty fun though. Have to keep your wits about you.
    I hear everyone say they get hit for 1000+. I had a 5 stack debuff and I was getting hit for 500, then 4 stack->400, then 3->300, etc...
    What I had on: 62 base elec resistance/energy sheath/ring of the djiin, and obviously one of those isn't working properly, will test at cap.

Sithali-1 ~ 31/31 Lives ~ Completionist
    OMNIPRESENCE
    The Sith Project ~ Youtube channel ~ Sithali, King of Burst DPS ~ Pyrene, the Endgame Paladin ~ Facebook!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Symerith View Post
    I hear everyone say they get hit for 1000+. I had a 5 stack debuff and I was getting hit for 500, then 4 stack->400, then 3->300, etc...
    What I had on: 62 base elec resistance/energy sheath/ring of the djiin, and obviously one of those isn't working properly, will test at cap.
    This was on EH, first run after the patch and mostly pugs. I definitely noted a 1000 trap:elec in the combat log. Raise cooldown gives you a bit of time to check the logs.

Maybe there are different forms of the elec bomb?
    Varz
    Wanderlust

Quote Originally Posted by moo_cow View Post
    So what exactly is the point of the crystal than if it does not stop the spawning of the undead dragons? (anything aside from it being necessary to complete the raid)
    Aside from having to break it eventually to complete the raid, I guess it also shoots minimally damaging often barely noticeable lasers at people every so often, and breaking it prevents that. Though for the most part it's just another boss to kill for completion, if you kill every other attackable enemy, eventually the raid will give you an objective to break the crystal, and won't continue into the last phase until you do.
    Minari (I think she's a druid now...)
    Assorted alt characters of little note. For now...
    Now with forum access! (Yay?)

Quote Originally Posted by emptysands View Post
    This was on EH, first run after the patch and mostly pugs. I definitely noted a 1000 trap:elec in the combat log. Raise cooldown gives you a bit of time to check the logs.

Maybe there are different forms of the elec bomb?
    There is an electric vulnerability debuff that the stormreaver and dragons's breath can hit you with, it stacks up to 5 times, check your buff/debuff icons when you next do FOT. The more stacks you have the more an electrical attack (e.g. the bomb) would hit you for in damage.

This same debuff will also lower your reflex save (the more stacks the more your reflex save is lowered), so a stack of 5 times would surely result in death when your reflex becomes less than 0 and the damage from the bomb or any trash that shoots electrical attack is multiplied against the no. of stacks. The stacks have a countdown timer to it like a dot spell, it reduces over time e.g. 5 -> 4 -> 3 etc etc to 0 and nothing.
    Last edited by Garvin; 03-20-2013 at 09:14 PM.
    Retired Gimp of Crimson Eagles
    Stopwound - Healwound - Songwound - Cursewound - Patchwound - Saltwound

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    There is an electric vulnerability debuff that the stormreaver and dragons's breath can hit you with, it stacks up to 5 times, check your buff/debuff icons when you next do FOT. The more stacks you have the more an electrical attack (e.g. the bomb) would hit you for in damage.

This same debuff will also lower your reflex save (the more stacks the more your reflex save is lowered), so a stack of 5 times would surely result in death when your reflex becomes less than 0 and the damage is multiplied against the no. of stacks. The stacks have a countdown timer to it like a dot spell.
    That may be.

It was right after the 3 pairs had been dropped and maybe just before the kiter got the range right. I may also have had a debuff still ticking from one of the dragons. I think I had been hit by one smaller blast first, healed and then the second 1000+ blast.

Getting the logistics right is certainly very important.
    Varz
    Wanderlust

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

This same debuff will also lower your reflex save (the more stacks the more your reflex save is lowered), so a stack of 5 times would surely result in death when your reflex becomes less than 0 and the damage from the bomb or any trash that shoots electrical attack is multiplied against the no. of stacks. The stacks have a countdown timer to it like a dot spell, it reduces over time e.g. 5 -> 4 -> 3 etc etc to 0 and nothing.
    It takes a min for each debuff to go away.. so basically 5 minutes to get rid of the 5 stack debuff, assuming you are careful enough not to get debuffed again.

What I'm curious with is how people see 1000 electric damage when I was getting hit for 500 w/ a 5 stack debuff on EH, then 400 w/ 4 debuff, 300 w/ 3 debuff etc. I'm on a TR currently so can't really do any testing.

Edit: @ Varz: Now you can see on the screen the Stormreaver's 3 second countdown before the electrip "bomb" hits and it was the only electric damage I was taking. I'm sure there is only one type of electric trap, we just need to figure out what works & what doesn't.
    Last edited by Symerith; 03-21-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Sithali-1 ~ 31/31 Lives ~ Completionist
    OMNIPRESENCE
    The Sith Project ~ Youtube channel ~ Sithali, King of Burst DPS ~ Pyrene, the Endgame Paladin ~ Facebook!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Symerith View Post
    It takes a min for each debuff to go away.. so basically 5 minutes to get rid of the 5 stack debuff, assuming you are careful enough not to get debuffed again.

What I'm curious with is how people see 1000 electric damage when I was getting hit for 500 w/ a 5 stack debuff on EH, then 400 w/ 4 debuff, 300 w/ 3 debuff etc. I'm on a TR currently so can't really do any testing.

Edit: @ Varz: Now you can see on the screen the Stormreaver's 3 second countdown before the electrip "bomb" hits and it was the only electric damage I was taking. I'm sure there is only one type of electric trap, we just need to figure out what works & what doesn't.
    Yeah, shame I didn't get a screen shot. Haven't had time to run it again since then either. That toon does have an already low reflex and no evasion.

Maybe useful for fast completions to mini-tank the dragon pair that gives a elec debuff. So the party don't receive a rebuff.
    Varz
    Wanderlust

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12