Question Hireling Contracts bound... why?

So here is a thing I have never been able to figure out. What is the rationale behind making hireling contracts bound? I am talking the in game play purchasable ones... I can't think of a reason why they should be bound at all. Am I missing some potential exploit that handing a hireling contract to a party member might open us up to?

That has just always bugged me...
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogenbroom View Post
    So here is a thing I have never been able to figure out. What is the rationale behind making hireling contracts bound? I am talking the in game play purchasable ones... I can't think of a reason why they should be bound at all. Am I missing some potential exploit that handing a hireling contract to a party member might open us up to?

That has just always bugged me...
    I _suspect_ it's 'cause they are coded as an item with which your are equipped rather than an actual party member when in contract state. I can't tell you how many times I have wished I could ask a group member to grab me a hireling (i.e. for ddoor or even as a healer) at the vendor while they run to a quest we're jumping into.

I may have just answered the question tho - forget your hireling? DDO Store is right there. Kinda like new players forgetting thieves' tools until they are in quest

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

If I could hand you a hireling contract while in quest, why would you need to buy a gold seal contract from the DDO store?

Community Member

Just a guess, its probably a technical issue related to their being timered. E.g., when you buy it, the timer "locks" onto your character, so that it ticks when you're in an instance and pauses when you leave or log out.

I know there was issues before with hirelings' timers not functioning properly when you put them in the bank...so its probably just easier to mark them BtC then try to fix that bug for the 0.001% of the time its actually an issue.