Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by dunklezhan View Post
    Dinosaur. Riding. Halfling. Barbarians.

That is all.
    Not to mention such awesome and unique bits as :

Positive energy undead, or Deathless, who are raised by Aerenal elven necromancers, that rule over their nation and their religion as essentially living gods (They have ancestor worship).

The Mournlands, the apocalyptic ruins of Cyre after a magical cataclysm ended the Last War, where natural healing ceases to function entirely and magical healing works at half efficiency, where bodies don't decay and the bodies of entire armies of dead soldiers lie, fresh as the day they died, and mutant creatures and countless living spells roam the wastes. (The Lord of Blades lives here too)

The Dragonmarked houses - A few random people get bits of the cosmic draconic prophecy etched onto their skin as a birthmark, that happens to give some magical abilities as a side effect, instead of going out and being heroes, they decide to get filthy rich and form merchant empires that allow them to abuse their specific ability.

I could go on and on, too.

Eberron is also nice because it allows some moral ambiguity. - In Faerun, Evil people are born evil because of their species and only 1 in 1,000,000 drizzt-likes can rebel. In Eberron, a considerable number of goblins, orcs, hobgoblins, bugbears, and kobolds live and are reasonably accepted as an underclass in cities. Sure, there are still the rampaging tribes of monstrous barbarians, but they're not a 100% or even 99% rule. Without active gods, even the goodness of people worshipping an unambiguously good god (silver flame or any of the sovereign host) is not guaranteed. In fact, evil people can and do worship both, and may in fact consider themselves to be doing a greater good that the rest of their faith is too squeamish to consider

Active gods are terrible, as they're essentially omnipotent compared to you and can screw with you as much as they want, and the only reason you aren't dead instantly is plot (notice how Lolth moronically is like LET THEM LIVE when she has you paralyzed under her power the first time) They also ensure that morality is fixed - good people are always good because they worship good gods who exist and will punish any deviance from what they consider to be good.

With the total failsauce of Neverwinter Online, DDO needs to charge into Faerun with a vengence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    Roses are red; violets are blue.
    You grinded a tome, and I bought two!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiseria View Post
    With the total failsauce of Neverwinter Online, DDO needs to charge into Faerun with a vengence.
    Agreed.

NWO looks like pure garbage . .. but it might peak people's interest in a D&D MMO. If DDO has a strong alternative ready it can gain some players.

The forge is the only thing giving NWO a chance.
    Personal d000m level: 83%

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Ape_Man does clever trolling nothing more. Don't feed him/her.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    I don't much mind.

The things I consider unique to eberron are:
    -Warforged (which apparently is untrue anyway according to some monster manual which says WF are in FR)
    That was a retcon in the 4e monster manual and (I think) the 3e MM5. But I could plot Vistani from Ravenloft into the FR in my campaign and say "See, there are Vistani in FR too! Ravenloft isn't unique!" But it wouldn't be true. All I would accomplish is watering down the flavor of both settings, which is what opening up warforged to other settings did. I will never allow warforged in a non-Eberron campaign that I run on tabletop.
    End of list.
    You forgot:
    -artificers
    -shifters
    -kalashtar
    -changelings (some fantasy settings have things called changelings, but none of them before Eberron really described them as descending from dopplegangers)
    -dragonmarked houses (the whole concept might be inspired from other literature, but the concept as a whole is quite novel)
    -dragonshards
    -clerics who can worship a pantheon as opposed to a deity (this is common in literature and myth but not so much in D&D)
    -undying elven ancestors who, singly, do not have a god's power, but combined, constitute a divine force
    -drow who live in jungles and worship a scorpion god
    -the lightning rail (many settings have trains, most are steampunk; Eberron has magic trains which can only be piloted by heirs of Orien)
    -airships (many settings have similar concepts, but Eberron's presentation is unique)

And I could go on, but those are the things which really put Eberron aside from the rest. Granted, not all of these things get exposure in DDO, which is in large part due to the fact that they decided to set the campaign primarily in Stormreach (which was a shame; it should have been in Sharn).
    Given that, I think literally every quest from Eberron could have been run in a FR setting with only minor alterations.
    True. Thematic elements could have been altered to make it work. The whole game could have taken place in a city like Baldur's Gate or Waterdeep or Raven's Bluff instead of Stormreach quite easily. Bear in mind, though, that the FR at the time already had many video game series devoted to the setting and it was a year after the release of Eberron. WotC granted the license for DDO as a deliberate attempt to pimp the setting. I can understand that from a business perspective.
    On the other hand,
    the things I consider unique to FR are:
    -interventionist deities
    Greyhawk. Iuz anyone? Zagyg?
    -drow houses
    Greyhawk. House Eilserv?

The FR took most of its ideas from Greyhawk. What it had that Greyhawk did not have was a series of very popular novels supporting it. For better or worse, R. A. Salvatore and Drizzt probably had more to do with this than anything. It isn't a bad thing. But R. A. Salvatore didn't even come up with the idea of a rogue drow. In Greyhawk drow were largely CE, but the Unearthed Arcana (1e AD&D) describes drow who are neutral or good as a result of them being cast out of drow society.
    I'm sure that's horrendously offensive to actual fans of the mythology, but as someone who has never read a Dungeons and Dragons novel, those seem to be the only actual issues.

To me, interventionist deities open up more possibilities in quests, similarly, for reasons I can't explain even to myself, I really like drow plot-lines.

So, yay FR. Also from a marketing perspective, hopefully DDO picks up some people from NWO if they find they like the setting but aren't big fans of the game for whatever reason.

My personal favourite setting I'd like to see is Ravenloft, which is a gothic (in the literature sense) plane full of vampires and whatnot, that most inhabitants are trying to 'escape' from. Dump characters in there for a module or two and they have to escape. I'd be down.

What are we talking about again?
    Eberron is a very unique setting. It is a shame they did not attempt to incorporate more setting-based elements into it. I believe part of the reason DDO has been successful is because of its unique setting. I do not mind having the FR around. I am actually looking forward to getting to explore more of the FR within DDO. However, I am disappointed that we won't get to visit another continent on Eberron. I have little doubt that the main reason for this is that there are no current plans to support

Hahaha there is no way you seriously believed my post meant I thought there were no intervenionist Gods in any setting, other ficitional mythology, or real world religion apart from the Forgotten Realms. Did you? I have a morbid curiosity now.
    That is pretty much exactly what you said.
    the things I consider unique to FR are:
    Then I would point you to the definition of unique.

"Being the only one of its kind; unlike anything else: "the situation was unique in modern politics"; "original and unique designs"."

So yeah, that is what you said. Maybe you didn't mean unique. But don't blame others for your poor grasp of terminology.

Default Eberron/Faerun

It's always a matter of cash. New content turbine can sell, bug fixing generates zero dollars (appreciation, plaudits and forum favour perhaps but that isn't bankable and decays quicker than guild renown)

If they want to do more epic/high level stuff in Faerun, go for it. But I would prefer it's setting isn't in places with CR25 "trash" being "held off" by local militia.

Plop a warded mage fortress on one of the vertebrae of the spine of the world and have some kinda imminent geography cataclysm needing the players to fight their way up to the top, across harsh environments, where gribbly beasts and peril are around every precarious ice covered corner. For variety they could also make an abandoned dwarf hold and let the CR scale as high as it's needed.

A nice change of scenery too.

Might have been playing Icewind Dale recently /disclaimer
    [/post]

Quote Originally Posted by samthedagger View Post
    The FR took most of its ideas from Greyhawk. What it had that Greyhawk did not have was a series of very popular novels supporting it.
    We need a new logical fallacy ... 'ad drizztium'?

I don't get where the FR hate comes from; you can drop a player into either Greyhawk or FR settings and unless they've actually read both sets of source material they will likely not know the difference. Well, other than the Valley Elf jokes (Like, totally!).

Then again, I have no idea why people like Dragonlame or Darkshun either.
    /shrug
    Brenna / Tzanna, The Dancing Rogues of Argonnessen
    Ascent on Argo
    "As the party's resident trap expert ..." <dies with smug yet surprised expression on face>

idc where will be located the new content, but please... don't wanna see another release full of bugs, is the only thing im asking for, stop breaking more things -_-

FR or eberron? everything is ok, guess if it's in eberron the quest lvl will be lower than current quests to revitalize the area

and critical mass... well, when ddo reaches critical mass in any point, content, whatever, guess ddo will be dead lol
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Quote Originally Posted by SableShadow View Post
    We need a new logical fallacy ... 'ad drizztium'?

I don't get where the FR hate comes from; you can drop a player into either Greyhawk or FR settings and unless they've actually read both sets of source material they will likely not know the difference. Well, other than the Valley Elf jokes (Like, totally!).

Then again, I have no idea why people like Dragonlame or Darkshun either.
    /shrug
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I do not dislike FR. It is as fun a setting as most others. My main point was that FR was not particularly unique. It borrowed many ideas from Greyhawk. And for that matter, Greyhawk borrowed many ideas from classical, Norse, Egyptian, and other mythologies.

If you take a look at all of the D&D settings as a whole however, I consider Eberron to be the most original of them all. I've never heard of any fantasy story about bound fire elementals powering an airship. And while the idea of manufacturing machines to fight your wars for you has been around before, the idea that they were originally animated by magic is something fairly unique. Eberron has a city where portions of the sky scape float in mid air because that part of the world is a manifest zone with an outer plane where flying magic is amplified and gravity is subjective. Then there are the Quori, dragonmarks, dragonshards, and so much more. But at the same time it has some familiar themes. The elves live on a secluded island where few outsiders are allowed to tread (Tolkienesque). The world was once ruled by a civilization of giants (Norse mythology?). So it really blends the familiar and new ideas in a fascinating way.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123