Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default No New Eberron Content Until FR Content Reaches "Critical Mass"

In the latest DDOCast Geoff Hanna from DDOGamer reports that he was told that there would be no new Eberron content until the Forgotten Realms content reaches a 'critical mass.' There may be some continued 'epification' of Eberron content, but the priority is Forgotten Realms for the foreseeable future.

He also reported that Turbine (Tolero) has finally confirmed that making quests soloable is definitely a design goal. An example is the change to Gianthold Tor to allow it to be soloable.

Personally I'm glad they are going this direction, as I like the FR setting in DDO, but I know some folks love the Eberron setting, and this confirms what many of us suspected: Eberron is definitely going to be on the back burner.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

OOOOH there's a Drizzit!!!

/critical mass reached moving on.

Edit: I am being silly btw. Anything that has more trees I'm all for. As much as I lub ma robots, I adored the trees in MotU. I'll read the responses from those who understand the lore better though with interest. Tell me more! What else is out there?
    Last edited by MeliCat; 03-18-2013 at 02:26 AM.
    ~Thelanis ~ Khyber ~

Community Member

Booooooo!

Although I was expecting most of the future releases being FR, I was still hoping that Eberron would still get the occasional new content. Especially the continuation of the Amrath storyline. Blah.

I'm guessing what we can expect content that will be Epicified would be the Wilderness areas of the Sands and Red Fens and probably all the raids. I still think the two Eberron packs that deserve a makeover are Threnal and Restless Isles, in addition to Epicification.

It's pretty disappointing to hear that Epicification of content consists pretty much what everyone expected: mostly increase in HP and CR. If this is true, there should have been more old content made Epic before MOTU was released.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    We don't balance elite quests for solo play. This is by design.
    So this one is going out of style?
    It's definitely an N-word.

I'll just leave these here...

Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Or not everyone is on the same page. But the Tor changes make me think yes.

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

I don't much mind.

The things I consider unique to eberron are:
    -Warforged (which apparently is untrue anyway according to some monster manual which says WF are in FR)
    End of list.

Given that, I think literally every quest from Eberron could have been run in a FR setting with only minor alterations.

On the other hand,
    the things I consider unique to FR are:
    -interventionist deities
    -drow houses

I'm sure that's horrendously offensive to actual fans of the mythology, but as someone who has never read a Dungeons and Dragons novel, those seem to be the only actual issues.

To me, interventionist deities open up more possibilities in quests, similarly, for reasons I can't explain even to myself, I really like drow plot-lines.

So, yay FR. Also from a marketing perspective, hopefully DDO picks up some people from NWO if they find they like the setting but aren't big fans of the game for whatever reason.

My personal favourite setting I'd like to see is Ravenloft, which is a gothic (in the literature sense) plane full of vampires and whatnot, that most inhabitants are trying to 'escape' from. Dump characters in there for a module or two and they have to escape. I'd be down.

What are we talking about again?
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

I think FR is great. Eberron is OK too. But I'd love to go back to Greyhawk!

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Did they mention which next overused forgotable realms theme will they use in new content?

Community Member

Good. When you say the pass-phrase in Tower "Eberonn Burns!" I start cheering.

Bring on my FR stuff.

I would like it to be easier to get from the airship to the FR and back. I'd wager that if a guild-hall could exist in eveningstar some would never leave.
    Personal d000m level: 83%

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Ape_Man does clever trolling nothing more. Don't feed him/her.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that after reading Geoff's Interview I'm expecting...

Epic Vale of Twilight incl. Lvl 28 on Normal Shroud, VoD and HoX!

A continuation of Amrath - Maybe 4 new quests in the Lvl 22-24 Range OR Simply Epic Versions of Weapon's Shipment and Wrath of the Flame!

Thumbs down

I can't disagree more I say more eberron then add greyhawk and any other world even ones they make up like peeps world before any of the better they were forgotten realms!

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Community Member

Frankly although I am not much of a fan for either setting I am somewhat happy about this change mostly from a character imerrsion factor. The fact is way to many playing DDO play it as if it was just a sword and sorcery setting, way to many people playing barbs and fighters who wouldnt even have a chance of functioning either socially nor martially in the typical day to day of a magic punk setting.

Funny enough one of the few things I really liked about Eberoni was the way drow where more a mix of forest rebels against the giants or traitors serving them while the uppity high elves fled across the sea( warning I hav eonly played a few sessions of PnP in eberon and never DMd so my understanding of things or lack of falls on the shoulders of that DM who insisted we give it a try for a few months.)

The drow imo really are just that cool when it comes to eberon. And although I really do revel in wandering the underdark of the realms, I also cant help but grow weary of the constant villification of the race merely because novelist have failed to do in story what I did in play years ago and reunite all of elven kind and the pantheons not through war but helping Correllian and Lloth once more find the love they lost so long ago. The Realms novels have long offended me for being largely trashy action novels that couldnt compete with any classic conan, nor modern mack bolan for quality fast paced kill em all and let gawd sort em out action.

D&D around the table top was always about using ones cunning and charm far more then battle skills, granted all my PCs over the years are second to none in battle, but that was simply so I could get through dull combat to the good social stuff, OK OK I kid I love taking down foes tactically and practically as much as charming the knickers off of a dark gawdess and convincing her to give up her wicked existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    In the latest DDOCast Geoff Hanna from DDOGamer reports that he was told that there would be no new Eberron content until the Forgotten Realms content reaches a 'critical mass.' There may be some continued 'epification' of Eberron content, but the priority is Forgotten Realms for the foreseeable future.

He also reported that Turbine (Tolero) has finally confirmed that making quests soloable is definitely a design goal. An example is the change to Gianthold Tor to allow it to be soloable.

Personally I'm glad they are going this direction, as I like the FR setting in DDO, but I know some folks love the Eberron setting, and this confirms what many of us suspected: Eberron is definitely going to be on the back burner.
    I'm hoping they eventually put lower level content in there...not this "roll a new level 15 toon" ****

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    no new Eberron content until the Forgotten Realms content reaches a 'critical mass.'

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Read his statement. Elite. They never said anything about normal not being designed for solo.

I do not like this news at all, yeah I know some people who are fans of the Forgotten Realms will rejoice, but there is so much left to Ebberon that should be added. Critical mass? What if it never hits that? What if this new expansion they plan to put forth does abysmal? I do not hope for these things but come on to forget the flagship (outside epicifying a few old quest whee like we didnt run them till our eyes bled) really burns me.

There is so much missing lore, from the mourninglands to Irian, to what happened to the mark of death and lady vol, so many unexplored regions that we should be seeing.

Owlbears and griffons are nice but why leave something you started hanging in the wind? I just dont like this idea to shelf the old for the new, kinda makes me feel the way I did back in 2010...
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MeliCat View Post
    Anything that has more trees I'm all for. As much as I lub ma robots, I adored the trees in MotU.
    Heck yeah! More trees! I love having the graphics lag spike way the heck up because they implemented tress in a new way, and underpopulated the area to boot! Sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    I'm sure that's horrendously offensive to actual fans of the mythology, but as someone who has never read a Dungeons and Dragons novel, those seem to be the only actual issues.
    Horribly offensive? No, it's not nearly serious enough to be horribly offensive. Is it horribly ignorant of both Eberron and the Forgotten Realms? Oh my, yes it is. Never read a D&D novel? And that's how you're forming your opinion? You know there were D&D games before the novels, and that the novels are mostly ****, right? At no point should the novels be informing any thoughts on DDO from either side of the fence. No, seriously, that' some brutally ignorant ignorance.

As for interventionist deities being unique to FR, let me introduce you first to Greyhwk, where a demigod (Iuz) runs one of the nations, and another power pops in all the time to check on things (St. Cuthbert), and to introduce you to (wait for it). . . duh dun duh!

GREEK MYTHOLOGY.

You have absolutely no clue about that which you speak.

Quote Originally Posted by danzig138 View Post
    Heck yeah! More trees! I love having the graphics lag spike way the heck up because they implemented tress in a new way, and underpopulated the area to boot! Sweet!
    Horribly offensive? No, it's not nearly serious enough to be horribly offensive. Is it horribly ignorant of both Eberron and the Forgotten Realms? Oh my, yes it is. Never read a D&D novel? And that's how you're forming your opinion? You know there were D&D games before the novels, and that the novels are mostly ****, right? At no point should the novels be informing any thoughts on DDO from either side of the fence. No, seriously, that' some brutally ignorant ignorance.

As for interventionist deities being unique to FR, let me introduce you first to Greyhwk, where a demigod (Iuz) runs one of the nations, and another power pops in all the time to check on things (St. Cuthbert), and to introduce you to (wait for it). . . duh dun duh!

GREEK MYTHOLOGY.

Greyhawk deites haven't been shown to as near interfering and nowhere near as often as the FR ones especially the major ones. Most the high powered npc's are also in the background for greyhawk

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Yes! Death to trees! Trees are to blame for the King's Forest being underpopulated.

And for 'graphics lag'! Which is a prevalent problem experienced by many and I have definitely read even one post about it occurring in the King's Forest before now!

Ahahahaha what? So is not having read the novels good or bad? Wait, who even cares? Everything is the worst!

GREEK MYTHOLOGY.
    Hahaha there is no way you seriously believed my post meant I thought there were no intervenionist Gods in any setting, other ficitional mythology, or real world religion apart from the Forgotten Realms. Did you? I have a morbid curiosity now.

Hahaha ok. +1 to you, Danzig. Yours has been the most enjoyable post I have read on the forums since that one about Troll Past-lives.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast