Default Trying to understand Epic Destinies (is hard)

So I'm pretty new to epic destinies and don't fully grasp what I can and can't do with them. Since Turbine has helpfully made it impossible to reset them should I screw up, I'm kinda nervous about doing exactly that. From what I understand, a character can max out two trees, but no more than that. Is this accurate?

If so, how much from each tree is active at any given moment? I've heard people talking about being "in" a destiny like its a stance you go into and out of. I was hoping that the passive effects from Unyielding Sentinel would be functional at all times whether I'm currently using my original Grandmaster of Flowers abilities or not. I was also hoping I could combine US stances with Monk stances.

I REALLY wanted to be able to twist in some pet buffs from Primal Avatar, but I'm not sure that's possible from what I've been reading. I don't even want to think about what I'd have to do to get ahold of the Grand Summoner ability of Magisters.

Right now I have the default level of GMoF, level one of Dance of Flowers, and an unlocked Twist slot with nothing to put in it and no clue where to go from here.

You can max out every tree.

You can reset them an unlimited number of times for a plat or shard cost, not sure why it is impossible in your case.

You can change destinies an unlimited number of times for no cost.

You can unlock additional trees you have not taken yet by having the adjacent destiny leveled up to 3 or 4.

Through leveling of destinies you can unlock up to 3 twists that each let you take a single ability from non-active destinies.
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by Glenalth View Post
    You can max out every tree.

You can reset them an unlimited number of times for a plat or shard cost, not sure why it is impossible in your case.

You can change destinies an unlimited number of times for no cost.

You can unlock additional trees you have not taken yet by having the adjacent destiny leveled up to 3 or 4.

Through leveling of destinies you can unlock up to 3 twists that each let you take a single ability from non-active destinies.
    Hrmmm. It's impossible because I don't know how to do it. Can you explain the process step-by-step? A friend of mine could use this info as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilbar View Post
    Hrmmm. It's impossible because I don't know how to do it. Can you explain the process step-by-step? A friend of mine could use this info as well.
    If you are a VIP bring up the destiny panel in a public area and click Reset.

If you are not, go to the Fatespinner to bring up the destiny panel and click Reset.
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by Glenalth View Post
    If you are a VIP bring up the destiny panel in a public area and click Reset.

If you are not, go to the Fatespinner to bring up the destiny panel and click Reset.
    It's that simple, huh? Cool.

Community Member

DDO Wiki is your friend.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Epic_Destinies

As an aside, my friend is playing a Ranger with a splash of rogue and barbarian. He focuses on two-weapon fighting, not archery, so Shiradi Champion isn't much use to him. Which destiny should he try to get into? None of them seem to be particularly well-suited for two weapon fighters, at least not to the extent that Fury of the Wild caters to two hander users.

Community Member

As an aside, my friend is playing a Ranger with a splash of rogue and barbarian. He focuses on two-weapon fighting, not archery, so Shiradi Champion isn't much use to him. Which destiny should he try to get into? None of them seem to be particularly well-suited for two weapon fighters, at least not to the extent that Fury of the Wild caters to two hander users.
    There isn't really one for TWF as such. Best bet is something like Fury of the Wild or Primal Avatar.

Either of Legendary Dreadnought or Fury of the Wild. Both are extremely powerful for a melee...he should get a good bow, though, especially if he does FotW.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

So I'm pretty new to epic destinies and don't fully grasp what I can and can't do with them.
    Ok.

From what I understand, a character can max out two trees, but no more than that. Is this accurate?
    That is not accurate. You can max out all destinies.

If so, how much from each tree is active at any given moment? I've heard people talking about being "in" a destiny like its a stance you go into and out of.
    Sort of. Except you can't swap stances whenever you want in this case. When you activate a destiny at the fatespinner, all of the auto-grants and selected tree abilities are granted on the spot (including things like hitpoints and spellpoints). Swap to a different destiny, and you lose access to everything you were using, and switch to whatever the other destiny has going for it. All old progress in all destinies is saved.

I was hoping that the passive effects from Unyielding Sentinel would be functional at all times whether I'm currently using my original Grandmaster of Flowers abilities or not.
    Fraid not. Sentinel abilities like "Stand Against The Tide" are auto-grant abilities and only apply when you are actively using the Sentinel destiny.

This also means that if you are in GMoF, and you twist in a US ability that depends on a stance (like Bane of Undeath requires Vigor Of Battle), then that twisted ability will not function.

I was also hoping I could combine US stances with Monk stances.
    AFAIK, this can be done.

I REALLY wanted to be able to twist in some pet buffs from Primal Avatar, but I'm not sure that's possible from what I've been reading.
    This is possible, but a terrible idea. Pets are garbage, and the pathetic buffs given don't change that.

I don't even want to think about what I'd have to do to get ahold of the Grand Summoner ability of Magisters.
    As a tier5 ability, Grand Summoner cannot be twisted. The only way to use it is to be in the Magister destiny.

Right now I have the default level of GMoF, level one of Dance of Flowers, and an unlocked Twist slot with nothing to put in it and no clue where to go from here.
    Right now, the twist is useless. You need another destiny with something in it in order to make use of the twist. Continue GMoF until it is level 5, then switch to Unyielding Sentinel. At that point, you could twist in a tier1 GMoF ability like Lily Petal or Dance Of Flowers, and continue to benefit from those abilities while leveling up in Sentinel.

Eventually, you will want to hit up several destinies and get a bunch of fate points going. Things like Sense Weakness from Fury Of The Wild is an astonomical damage buff. But as it's also a tier4 ability, you need a lot of fate points to unlock it (first fate slot unlocked to tier4 requires 10 fate points, which requires 30 destiny levels, or getting to level 5 in 6 different destinies), plus more to unlock the other fate points.

Depending on exactly what you want to twist in, you may well end up leveling all destinies to level 5. Note that if you just want the fate points and don't care about the destiny itself, you can stop leveling any destiny once you hit level 5, after that it's just extra allocation points for the destiny which you have no use for. You only want to truly max out a destiny that you plan on really playing with.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

So I'm pretty new to epic destinies and don't fully grasp what I can and can't do with them. Since Turbine has helpfully made it impossible to reset them should I screw up, I'm kinda nervous about doing exactly that.
    The intention is that you cannot ever make permanent mistakes with Epic Destinies. Anything you do can be recovered from eventually and all characters can end up in the same state.

Technically the only "Mistakes" that can occur.

1. Pick the Wrong "starting" Destiny
    While this can be annoying it is not fatal. It just means you get to earn a Fate Point or two on your way to you preferred destiny.

Example of this would be Someone that qualifies for Divine Destinies and wants to be in Legendary Dreadnaught but chooses Exalted Angel as a starting point. Now instead of just needing 4 US and 3 GMoF to get to where they want to go, it will be 3 EA, 4US and 3 GMoF - or 750K XP

Again the benefit is now you have unlocked one more fate point and have Tier 1 to 3 options from EA.

2. Earning more XP in a destiny than you wanted to at this time.
    A technique I used on one of my characters was to grab all the 1-3/4 levels I needed to unlock all destinies and earn all the easy to acquire Fate Points.

So while these are mistakes they are simply minor inconveniences. If you plan on getting all the fate points you will eventually be leveling each destiny anyway.

FotW if in a full group or raid group, LD if solo or shortmaning a quest.

As another n00b questions:

Let's say I only get FotW up to tier 3, but I have a tier 4 twist unlocked. Can I twist in something like Sense Weakness (a tier 4) if I'm let's say in Legendary Dreadnaught? That is, do I need to have unlocked the ability in that class to be able to twist it in?

Or alternately, if when I was in FotW and had gone up to tier 5, I only took the stat boosts for whatever reason, would I still be able to twist out Sense Weakness when in another class?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzor View Post
    As another n00b questions:

Let's say I only get FotW up to tier 3, but I have a tier 4 twist unlocked. Can I twist in something like Sense Weakness (a tier 4) if I'm let's say in Legendary Dreadnaught? That is, do I need to have unlocked the ability in that class to be able to twist it in?

Or alternately, if when I was in FotW and had gone up to tier 5, I only took the stat boosts for whatever reason, would I still be able to twist out Sense Weakness when in another class?
    No

You pick your twists by dragging an ability from the list of abilities you have to your twist slots.

This also means that the rank you have in that ability you twist matters

Basically: when you're twisting brace for impact, you should take both ranks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is the only party buff
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    talk about your exploits
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    DDO is not PnP. This is by design

In order to twist an ability, you need to possess that ability. If it is a multi-tier ability, then however many points you've spent is also how much you'll get when you twist it.

In this case, Sense Weakness is a 3 tier ability. If you only put 1 point into it, then when you twist it, you'll only get +10% damage to helpless monsters, and 1d8 bonus damage to enemies under 75% health.

As opposed to +30% vs helpless, and 3d8 vs 75%, 2d12 vs 50%, and 1d20 vs 25% health monsters.

So take the time to spend the extra 2 points.
    Last edited by Matuse; 03-22-2013 at 10:02 AM.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Thanks! That answers alot of the questions I had.

I have a lvl 22 cleric at lvl 4 in exalted angel, my highest ed. i'm looking to twist in sentinel. it looks like I have to switch to the sentinel ed and farm is over from the start. is this correct? I will loose all the exalted angel abilities while I do this, yes?

so its every 3 tiers is a fate point? i already have one unlocked.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThePrincipal View Post
    I have a lvl 22 cleric at lvl 4 in exalted angel, my highest ed. i'm looking to twist in sentinel. it looks like I have to switch to the sentinel ed and farm is over from the start. is this correct? I will loose all the exalted angel abilities while I do this, yes?

so its every 3 tiers is a fate point? i already have one unlocked.
    yes, you will have to switch and farm
    yes, you will lose exalted angel abilities
    (however, you can twist a single level 1 EA ability while doing so)
    every 3 levels = fate point, yes