Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Tests

So i hoped over to the test sever and tried out a few tests, on that fire giant in the claw.

First off - that silly cleric/wizard/monk mix thing, well it surprised me at how well it can work. I was able to keep tree form up for ~50 seconds from a full 30 spirit. It also generated spirit crazy fast, so fast that I bet you could keep avatar of nature up for more than 50%-75% of the time in quests. Impresive!!

Secondly I toyed around with combat stiles a bit (however not a huge amount). I had all 3 twf feets, The fastest the giant droped was when i didn't have any weapon or armor equiped (centered unarmed attack) - I was able to kill him before tree form wore off. The next fastest was using a starter great sword with no armor equipped. The slowest by far was when i used heavy armor and no weapons. I did not test armed and armored twf as I had no weapons (lvl 21 boat toon).

Perhaps later I will transfer a toon over with equipment.
    EDIT: Transfers failed, I have no toons with equipment on lemma and the guide is absent atm.

PS. I think the cleric/wiz/monk would totally rock and as a bonus people would think your a total noob when you joined their party. Think of the hilariousness of it. Of course you would totally suck until you could get primal unlocked.
    Last edited by Pilgrim1; 03-31-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maddong View Post
    Any update on combat styles in tree form?
    I have been playing my two weapon fighting dual weilding rogue in Tree Form and it seems like in some content it excels, but in others kind of ho-hum. The CITW Raid is pretty poor for tree form other then on the optional boss's. Now on the Fall of Truth Raid it is excellent. It seems better then two handed fighting characters, but still testing.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Founder

But what is causing the difference in effectiveness?

Are the attacks doing significantly more damage with handwraps (from a d6 change?)?

Are the attacks getting a 10% monk attack speed boost?

Are the attacks triggering additional strikes?

Quote Originally Posted by maddong View Post
    But what is causing the difference in effectiveness?

Are the attacks doing significantly more damage with handwraps (from a d6 change?)?

Are the attacks getting a 10% monk attack speed boost?

Are the attacks triggering additional strikes?
    As far as I can tell its the attack speed, or perhaps the twitch speed. Its not an easy thing to figure out.

There seams to be no difference in damage per hit.

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim1 View Post
    With this build I have soloed nothing, I have never even ran it.
    Then how do you support your claim that this is viable for soloing?
    U19 Kensei: Centered Cleaver | TR Junkie Leveling Framework

~Ying~ (10 lives), ~Hamada~(9 lives), ~Vadanken~ (6 lives), ~Kobeyashi~ (10 lives)
    Over Raided of Orien, First Level 100 Guild

Thumbs up

From what the lay out presents I think the build does have potential to hold its own in EE. With some PLs and gear backups I can imagine it having at least one very strong AoE cc, some 0-sp-cost damage output (how steady and how fast is a question though) and perhaps something to milk from the monk levels (not mentioned in OP but there's certainly possibilities I see, especially with incoming lvl28 cap). At least I think this build can be as strong if not more than, say, a very well geared cc spec'd archmage, in EEGH. For a class that's considered underpowered by many I think OP did a great job presenting and experimenting its potential.

As for soloing EE's, there are a lot of posts by "dominant classes" in achievement forums with reentries and pots involved. For that matter I don't see why this build cannot do something similar. Honestly, with saves and hp inflation like that I believe only classes that can solo without major resource consumption (reentries, sp pots, silverflame pots, etc) are something with 0sp ranged/stunning dps or something dealing so extremely sp-efficient damage that we all know won't stay WAI for long. What I really wanna say is grasping on SOLO EE and beating it kinda wastes a good post like this. I think the build was meant for "EE focused" much more than for "solo EE."

For the aura thingie though I highly suspect some changes will be made. Gaining 2 spirits by one cast and even per tick is strange enough and doesn't quite match the description of the ED. Anyways, this is an interesting build GJ Pilgrim!+1

Default Fascinating

I have two characters whose back stories are that they are actually plants, so I've been quite enamored with the wood woad for a while.

Seeing that's it's not just a novelty and actually a viable playstyle is really wonderful and encouraging.

Would it be possible for you guys to post a detailed summary of which combat feats were most effective? I saw lots of "TWF+centered=best" but it looked more like guesswork than testing. Is it possible to test this on a training dummy, or is it in-quest transformation only?

Thanks for this.
    Character Compendium

@ SealedInSong:

From my testing (not extensive) attack rate seams to on a rough approximation be:

Unarmed twf feets
    armed twf feets
    armed THF weapon
    un-centered brawl stile unarmed attacks.

So i would encourage you to use TWF, ITWF, GTWF and a monk splash, additionally the overwhelming critical line seams to be a huge boost due to cleaves and better multipliers. If your goal is to be a tree 100% of the time, or as close as you can to that, i would strongly consider looking into what builds spirit the most efficiently and the best while in form. The answer to that is auras and/or earthquake.

This means your most optimal tree form is probably that crazy cleric/wizard/monk mix that i posted earlier (I tested that out on lama btw and it seams to be hilariously viable even if your basically a raging barbarian).

A few things to keep in mind however:
    1) This is a build post attempting to optimize druids, not optimize avatar of nature
    2) New enhancements will completely tip everything on its head so at least poke over to the test sever when they release the new enhancements.
    3) There was a huge post about how over powered avatar of nature is (which its not IMO) and the developers responded saying there will likely be a fix on how it works. So keep this in mind if your building for avatar of nature.
    4) If your building for primal avatar your building a toon that will under-perform for the first 24 lvls and will have huge difficulties in other destinies. I would suggest TRing a toon that has your destiny exp unlocked and using a lesser heart to turn your toon into a viable avatar of nature build.

good luck!
    PS. from my testing on the test sever that monk/wizard/cleric thing does a LOT of damage. I don't think it out-damages a blitzing barb or a fury archer or good rogue, but it will out-damage most of the random pugs you run into (EE content btw).

I believe you need to be able to go into form to get the benefit of pale master auras.

But anyway, you do realize that these builds are based on extremely questionable mechanics right? Both the spirit gain off of auras and the increased tree attack speed. In fact, an entire thread detailing the increased attack speed had been deleted before (after several dozen pages of discussion).

I don't really care either way, but it's just something that should be pointed out clearly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12