Default Pure Assassin or Splash for TR?

So I'm in a static group that's been running for 2 years now and we're finally all ready to TR as a group and start this whole madness all over again from level 1.

First life, I went Drow pure Rogue, Assassin III. I focused on high INT and high DEX. A little squishy at times, but it was huge fun overall.

For the group TR, everyone is discussing trying out a different role - the Wizard wants to be a healer, the Cleric wants to try Artificer, etc. Except for me, that is. I don't really want a different role, but I'm open to mixing things up a little bit. Hence, this thread.

I'm looking for suggestions of splashes I can add on my next life.

I was thinking about taking 6 levels of Favored Soul at first, just because I've never played the class. So I would gain some self-healing and self-buffing, heavy armor proficiency. On a solo build, this might be more appealing. In a static group, it seems superfluous.

Then I thought maybe 6 levels of Ranger. That would give me free Improved Two Weapon Fighting and Manyshot, and martial weapon proficiency and access to Tempest I. But I'm not sure it's worth giving up 6 Rogue levels worth of Sneak Attack and capstone.

So, help me forumites. You're my only hope.

For flavor reasons, I want to keep Drow and Assassin II in the build. I want to keep focus on melee. I like being sneaky. I do not have access to Monk or Artificer. So, stay pure Rogue or splash something? If splashing, what split?

Ready? Go!
    You are responsible for your own DDO experience.

Assassinate is based off rogue levels and int. So dipping hurts your chance too effectively assassinate by a lot.
    Sneaking without it is...less effective.

You should be able too selfheal via umd and pots fine.
    Do try too keep your displacement/blur effects up, and try too get some dodge. Rogue ac isnt all that great.

You're going at this backwards.

First off, you can't multiclass and expect an assassinate DC to be effective. It's based on INT and level, so even 1 level splashed hurts your assassinate.

Secondlly, if you want self healing, rogue have UMD. With a little boost to CHA and an item or two, you can reliably heal for ~400 a pop by 15th level or so. Rogue skill boost helps UMD temporarily for a little boost at lower levels.

I've wand and scroll healed (and even raised a few dead) many parties when there was no healer or the healer was down... as an assassin. Not that I make healing others a habit, but self healing is a no brainer.

You can even boost wand and scroll mastery enhancements and get a bit of spell ability from scrolls and wands. I carry jump, displacement, and a few other scrolls, and whatever wands like acid splash or fireball you pick up can be used as well. There are a few rechargeable wands that are useful as well.

If you can't be a spell caster, UMD is the next best thing.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

First don't multiclass an assassin second doesn't fvs only give medium armor? If you wear more than light armor you would lose evasion all round a bad idea you can multiclass a rogue if you don't really care about your assassinate dc and there are good builds that do that.

6 lvls of fvs aren't really going to give much self-healing you could do more with your umd as a pure rogue.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

If you are happy with rogue then stick with rogue. If you are happy with Assassin PrE for the assassination then do not splash -- others have already covered the why.

With a 34 point reincarnate I would suggest you invest in half-elf for this life.

If you read a lot of the forums you'll know that I am on two different sides of the rogue assassin issue.

If you really want to use the Assassin II assassination you have to go INT based. DEX, CON and STR are all secondary.

But, there is a strong case to be made for just going with a STR based rogue that uses the Assassin PrE simply for the SA dice.

The second of these can safely splash some other class because it isn't relying heavily on INT or the last few SA dice that come at L20 with the capstone. If you want to go that route then even a deep splash of 6-9 ranger would not be bad.

But, what I'd really recommend to you is that you try 2 artificer/18 ranger with Tempest PrE. You will get the trapper capabilities. You'll get a different melee feel. Artificer gives you a leg up on UMD over rogue and arty 2 with heavy repeater & rune arm is better ranged damage as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post

6 lvls of fvs aren't really going to give much self-healing you could do more with your umd as a pure rogue.
    Other than costing 2 points per level instead of 1 to increase UMD ranks in a non-UMD class, there's really nothing stopping you from being just as effective at UMD as a 15 fighter/5 rogue than as a pure rogue.

And you can always go helf and take a helf dilly as a UMD class. Something like arty, bard, or whatever gives you access to many low level items available to that class with no UMD check, like healing scrolls and wands.

The Hatchery

Anything other than light or no armor is a no-go for rogues. You lose evasion, otherwise. Medium armor proficiency is worthless.

You get self-healing from pots and scrolls.

You lose a lot of DPS and your Assassinate DC will be completely worthless with such a heavy splash.

Just don't splash Rogues. 1 to 2 levels of fight or monk are alright, but I prefer pure rogue over all else.

I have done some fun human 13 rogue/6pally/1fighter or monk past lives. as stated you wont be assassinating anything but you get nice self heals via wand, umd, mini LoH. Go hunter of the dead pre and get nice healing amp and added damage to undead, fear immunity and unreal saves and ac ... a lot of survivability and a some nice buffs.

i went in levelling: r p p p p r p p r f r r r r r r r r r r
    AoK - Sasi Jdollar Jonnydrama Hawtty Megah

Thanks for the replies. The consensus seems to confirm what I had already suspected: don't splash my Assassin.
    You are responsible for your own DDO experience.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    Other than costing 2 points per level instead of 1 to increase UMD ranks in a non-UMD class, there's really nothing stopping you from being just as effective at UMD as a 15 fighter/5 rogue than as a pure rogue.

And you can always go helf and take a helf dilly as a UMD class. Something like arty, bard, or whatever gives you access to many low level items available to that class with no UMD check, like healing scrolls and wands.
    Those 15 lvls of fighter are going to kill you having much SA damage, being an assassin or having improved evasion and the thread is about being an assassin pure or splash not a splash rogue

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Those 15 lvls of fighter are going to kill you having much SA damage, being an assassin or having improved evasion and the thread is about being an assassin pure or splash not a splash rogue
    Thanks for your criticism of my post. But I would like to point out that the part you singled out was in response to another post mentioning that UMD specifically would suffer. My response was simply making the point that even if UMD is a cross class skill, it can still be easily advanced and does not have to suffer. Not that having 15 fighter levels is what you want to do if you want a really cool assassin.

Note that my first post in this thread addresses the pure assassin aspect, and in fact totally agrees with what you have posted above.

To expect a thread on whether or not an assassin should be pure or splashed to stay so rigidly on topic that someone can't discuss splash rogues seems a bit unrealistic for the DDO forum, and truly fantastic for the internet in general.

In light of these points, it's hard not to take your reply as a bit less than constructive. Forgive me if I'm misreading it.