Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    From Wisconsin, Live in Iowa, Vist Wisconsin

Default New Gainthold "Fog" causing real headaches?

Hello-

I have heard several people having issues with the new "fog / sky" in the updated Gainthold area.

It is bad enought that two of them won't enter the area any more

It is only in this area - the rest of the game is good.

Are other people having issues? TIA

Calling Sarlona my home - Guildmaster - Brotherhood of Redemption - ddoborguild.com
    Alts - Propane, Kerosene, Hexane, JA, Waulter, Acetylene, CNG, LPG, Woodpile, Hexyne, Dilithium Crystal, Geothermal, TidalPower, Windpower, Natural Gas, Antimematter, and Coaldust (and a few others)

I have a low end graphics card and i have problems with many effects like this slowing my frame rate way down, like into single digits. Not just in Gianthold though, so not sure if it's related.

Not in Gianthold no but the green patterns in the Restless Isles explorer area give me headaches as I run through there. I stay away from that place but Gianthold is fine for me.

Not meant to derail but thought I'd back the general idea. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    I’m only nerfing you now so I can buff you later.

From Wisconsin, Live in Iowa, Vist Wisconsin

Bumbing the thread - anyone else?

Calling Sarlona my home - Guildmaster - Brotherhood of Redemption - ddoborguild.com
    Alts - Propane, Kerosene, Hexane, JA, Waulter, Acetylene, CNG, LPG, Woodpile, Hexyne, Dilithium Crystal, Geothermal, TidalPower, Windpower, Natural Gas, Antimematter, and Coaldust (and a few others)

The fog is horrid, it makes me feel like I have my glasses permanently off. All that blur... why? Does Turbine want to screw up people's eyes?

On top of it, the new lava is horrid as well... all blurry, it makes my eyes hurt, it blinds me and gives me migraines if I'm fighting somewhere I can't avoid having it on my face.

Who do I sue for making changes to the game that are detrimental to people's healths?
    DDO-Europe 2006/2010 - Aureon/Keeper

I'm blunt as a rock and can seem aggressive because of it. Be aware of that when reading my posts.

Community Member

Personally, I haven't had any problems at all with the visuals out in GH. Different people react in different ways to types of visual input. It is quite possible that the specific combination of effects out in GH now do induce headaches in some players. I would recommend having them play around with their visual effects settings to see if they can improve the situation on their end. I don't know of anything specific, but there may be a combination of settings that changes whatever is causing the problem so that it is no longer an issue. Hope everything works out for your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by shadereaper33 View Post
    Personally, I haven't had any problems at all with the visuals out in GH. Different people react in different ways to types of visual input. It is quite possible that the specific combination of effects out in GH now do induce headaches in some players. I would recommend having them play around with their visual effects settings to see if they can improve the situation on their end. I don't know of anything specific, but there may be a combination of settings that changes whatever is causing the problem so that it is no longer an issue. Hope everything works out for your friends.
    It is hard on the eyes yes mostly annoying to many of us. But agreed and people who are not affected need to remember some folks can have serious reactions to things that we think are just annoying. Epilepsy and such conditions..sensitivity to light...etc.

this thread may contain peanuts
    Inagaki
    Argo
    CoP

I'm not a fan of the effect by any means, I feel like it needlessly muddied up the look of the zone, I can't say it's caused me any headaches yet. I can see how it could in some folks, though.

I feel for people who may have problems playing the game because it gives them ailment issues......but they should be able to tweak the settings.....and should people with really serious conditions be playing video games for an extended amount of time anyways?

I believe it is generally in all game manuals or likewise that a game should not be played for excessive amounts of time which means Turbine is not responsible for health effects it can cause to them.

There are other things you can do to....like maybe some kind of meditation during playing......or some tea It's a known fact that today's society gets to much mental stimulation. Closing your eyes and doing some deep breathing or just simply getting up every few minutes and taking a walk or something can work wonders. I also keep two small jars by my comp.....one is filled with dried Lavender leaves and the other with Cinnamon sticks. Cinnamon helps reduce wearines effects that can cause irritability and Lavender can help to boost your mood and just make you feel more relaxed.

Chamomile tea is great for reducing anxiety and also helps to relax you.

Anyhow...they are not costly and worth a try for those seeking some sort of aid.......if your are overplaying the game nothing is going to help except for an extended break.....minutes, hours, or maybe even days.

The game is rated TEEN...and most people who play are much older.....they should know by then their limits....at least the older crowd anyways.

Scratt for president!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vVvAiaynAvVv View Post

The game is rated TEEN...and most people who play are much older.....they should know by then their limits....at least the older crowd anyways.
    They may know them but whether or not they'll admit it is another thing. I have the feeling I'll also be part of the denial crowd in the future.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

I know people that certain visual effects help trigger migranes. Triggers are different for each people and while the ones I know haven't been effected by the changes in gianthold I'm not going to be so melodramatic as other posters to assume that if they aren't effected, no one should be.

Default I have noticed flicker

I have noticed a flicker in the lava.

I have played games in the past that have given me a screaming headache. The first Elder Scrolls comes to mind. I don't currently have any problems with DDO but I won't dismiss the claims of those who do. I am not sure why Turbine would fool with the graphics. It seems like kind of a stupid risk since it isn't something that folks express a desire for. We want new content but screwing with the graphics seems like a bad idea.

Why would Turbine risk making changes to the graphics that may cause currently happy customers to be unable to play the game.

Of course there are always the blame the victim crowd who say dumb stuff like "get a better computer loser" or "people who have motion sickness issues shouldn't play video games" but the folks who are voicing concern were playing the game just fine before these changes. AND do we really want to limit the pool of customer who pay money to keep our favorite MMO going just to have some stupid effects?

I don't like it in epic GH (is the fog in normal GH now too?) and so I don't spend much time in that explorer area or have plans to run quests other than required to flag. I have complained about it but I am fairly sure I'm not one of the folks Propane is mentioning as it doesn't actually give me a headache, but I know it does to others. Another issue with that area is it's the same old quests, with minor tweaks for Epic. Some folks were hoping for entirely new quests for the Epic update, not just one new raid.

The suggestions to change video settings may help. For instance I have to have the bloom effects slider turned off when I play, so that may help those who get headaches in GH. Turn stuff off or down until it gets better.
    On Sarlona: Justin, Bry, Karoneth, Koto, Combatant, Kendu, Narnak, Mythanthor, Jastron, Brendin.
    Guildmaster, The Brotherhood of Redemption
    www.borguild.com

Them messing with the graphics may have somethign to do withj the comments some have made about how the game looks so old thanks to its graphics. And since they were tinkering with GH anyway they redid some of th egraphics as well.
    Dystopia = utopia achieved

Quote Originally Posted by GrayScioto View Post
    Why would Turbine risk making changes to the graphics that may cause currently happy customers to be unable to play the game.
    Turbine cannot simply focus on the currently existing customer base. That would be bad for business. Especially with direct competition emerging soon in the form of Neverwinter Online and later in the form of Pathfinder Online.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayScioto View Post
    do we really want to limit the pool of customer who pay money to keep our favorite MMO going just to have some stupid effects?
    Let us assume an acceptably performing graphics card costs $50. If someone is unwilling to spend $50 for a new graphics card, what are the chances they will be spending money on Turbine's product? Also fog plays a vital role in the arsenal available to a level designer. It can both add to a level's atmosphere and reduce the need to draw distant geometry by "hiding" it.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Quote Originally Posted by bartharok View Post
    You know you can get negrep for just about anything you say, if the giver is having a bad day. But you can also get rid of said negrep easily.
    I have actually done that before and got a Dev PM stating they usually do not respond to those.

Otherwise my rep would be higher LOL....not that I really care too much about this but I really don't see anything in my first reply that is neg worthy......in the official manner anyways

Beside the Devs have more important matters to take care of.

Scratt for president!!!!

Community Member

I've played a few games that weirded out my brain to look at - It's usually related to lighting. I suggest messing with lighting effects, changing the contrast, or altering the gamma (total amount of light you see). Messing with your monitor settings may be helpful, but only if this is the only game that does this to you.

If the the camera moving makes you feel motion sick, it's probably a too-wide Field of Vision (FOV)

Quote Originally Posted by vVvAiaynAvVv View Post
    I have actually done that before and got a Dev PM stating they usually do not respond to those.

Otherwise my rep would be higher LOL....not that I really care too much about this but I really don't see anything in my first reply that is neg worthy......in the official manner anyways

Beside the Devs have more important matters to take care of.
    Report that post that was given neg rep,idk why you mentioning devs,did you send pm to them?

I thought this was about the "fog of war" not disappearing after finding all "explorers"... Ugh.

Not sure abou cinnamon sticks and gummy bears, or whatever. I usually skip posts in pretty colors (no criticism, just personal preference)... I find that water, hops, yeast and barley, when properly combined, can actually increase the fog effect... Be careful!
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast