Default Playing DDO in higher resolution: video card upgrade?

Any day now my new monitor will be delivered. I'm switching from a 20" 1600x1200 to 27" for gaming in glorious 2560x1440 resolution.

Currently I have a HD5850 (1 Gig VRAM), which was one of those wonder cards when released 3.5 years ago. Running 1600x1200 is no problem and temperatures are fairly stable at 29-36°C. But I'm afraid it cannot handle DDO in high resolution.

I did a search on the forums but most people that state using a resolution > 1920x1080 do not include details on their videocard.

Are there any people that run DDO in 2560x1440 or even 1920x1200? What card are you using?

I'm thinking about switching from my HD5850 to one of the following models:
    GTX680
    HD7970 Ghz Edition
    XFX HD7970 Black Edition
    HD7970
    GTX670
    XFX HD7950 Black Edition
    GTX660-ti
    HD7950
    Will these be able to cope with somewhat modern games or should I just get 2 in crossfire/SLI?

Thanks in advance.

(Yes, I realise that this is not the most ideal subforum, but there simply is no Video discussion corner.)

Community Member

They probably can do pretty well, but the thing about modern PC games is that you need a LOT of video memory. You could end up having to replace your video board every year and a half unless you get the very best there is and use CF/SLI.

I've heard of people who buy the best vcards they can in CF/SLI and sell it on ebay in a few months to buy another. Supposedly, it's cheaper than having to buy two new ones every 18mo.

Just a side note: I make a habit to warn everyone against nVidia. I've had 1 nVidia card ever, and it was a constant fight with the driver to get it to do anything I wanted it to. Sometimes it would only fill wireframes with white, sometimes it wouldn't draw the ground, sometimes it would only show black and white greyscaled, and sometimes it would just crash. Any game I played, it screwed up, and it was different for every game. It's not a hardware problem, a replacement card did the exact same thing.

Any of those cards will run DDO at 2560x1600 provided the VRAM is sufficient. Both the GTX 660 and Radeon 7900 series cards are available with 3Gb which would be my personal low-end requirement for that resolution. The GTX 670-90s and a few Radeon 7000 series cards are available in 4Gb or 6Gb models. If price is no object ($1000+), the new GTX Titan line is quite formidable. All Titan cards have 6Gb and support a huge 4096x2160 resolution which will fairly well future-proof them for the next five years or so.

As for SLI/XFire - The power requirements are steep. The sustained real-world performance is around 20%-25% ahead of a single card unless you go with a 3-way setup for an extra 15%. The multiple cards provide multiple points of failure. The drivers may or may not fully support the latest games for months after release.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but most games, and DDO in particular, don't require a multi-card setup to perform well. But if you've got the desire and funding, go for it.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Syrrah View Post
    Will these be able to cope with somewhat modern games or should I just get 2 in crossfire/SLI?
    I suggest you goto www.tomshardware.com and check out their comparisions and reviews.

Thanks for all the responses.

I actually did check Tomshardware and dozens of similar sites already but none of them included specs for DDO (surprise surprise). For the moment I barely play anything else, that's why I posted here.

Only other games played in the last 2 years are Icewind Dale 2, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, Civ4/5, Legend Of Grimlock and a few hours of Diablo 3, so nothing too fancy. But I just wanted to be future-proof in case I get sick of DDO or Turbine shuts the server down, hence my vague reference to "modern games".

I have no particular preference over either AMD or nVidia and had positive experience with both in the past. That said, nVidia cards are usually better optimised while AMD offers more memory for less money.

Money is no real concern, but the price of those Titan cards is just ridiculous imo. Good call on those 4GB and 6GB cards

I also prefer a single card over a 2/3 card setup, especially since I am already having a hard time fitting all my PCIe cards into the available slows. + adding a second card might cause pressure problems in my watercooling loop (I'm running the pumps at 60% to reduce noise).

I'll try and see if I can get a reasonable priced 7970 or GTX680 with extra VRAM.

2016 DDO Players Council Stoner81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin-ator View Post
    They probably can do pretty well, but the thing about modern PC games is that you need a LOT of video memory. You could end up having to replace your video board every year and a half unless you get the very best there is and use CF/SLI.
    Not always true...

It greatly depends on what resolution the game is being played in since the higher it goes the more VRAM needed plus things like anti-alias etc too. I ran Witcher 2 (which is very demanding) more or less maxed out at 1920x1080 on a GTX480 which only has 1.5GB of VRAM on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin-ator View Post
    Just a side note: I make a habit to warn everyone against nVidia. I've had 1 nVidia card ever, and it was a constant fight with the driver to get it to do anything I wanted it to. Sometimes it would only fill wireframes with white, sometimes it wouldn't draw the ground, sometimes it would only show black and white greyscaled, and sometimes it would just crash. Any game I played, it screwed up, and it was different for every game. It's not a hardware problem, a replacement card did the exact same thing.
    That could have been a generic fault with that batch of cards or a severe issue with the driver itself. nVidia cards are rock solid these days and updates for drivers come out often.

To the OP

Personally I prefer nVidia cards always have and always will however the 7970's are outstanding cards and there is a deal on atm where you can get a couple of free games with the purchase of any 7 series ATI card so make sure to look that up before you buy so you don't miss out of some free goodies

Playing at the high resolution then certainly try to get a card with as much VRAM as you can especially if you want to turn everything on in the DDO graphics options. Doing this should future proof for a few years and you would be able to play many games with ease.

I am running DDO maxed out in DX11 at 1920x1080 on a GTX480 without issues just as a comparison

Stoner81.

I'll try and see if I can get a reasonable priced 7970 or GTX680 with extra VRAM.
    A GTX 660-70 or Radeon 7950-70 with 3Gb will run between $300 and $450 with the ATI cards being slightly lower in that range. Bumping up the VRAM to 4Gb eliminates the Radeon 7900 line for the moment. There are a few off-brand 7700 series cards with 4Gb, but I don't know that I'd trust those. A GTX 670-80 with 4Gb will be around $400 to $550 depending on the feature set. A GTX 690 with the same memory starts to get very pricey at about $900.

You've probably already considered this, but is your current GPU water block going to fit a new card? I know there are "universal" blocks but those are generally made for a specific model line. I don't know that the mounting brackets for a 5850 are going to fit a 680. Something to think about. Draining, refilling and bubble flushing the loop is a pain as you no doubt know.

Well, best of luck!
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

I've got a GTX460, 768MB version in one of my computers. This here GTX460 768MB vs. 5850 rates the 460 as slightly worse than a 5850, but fairly comparable.

My 460 is running DDO on 1920x1080 with all the graphics set to highest settings (except for one or two of the bloom options, because I think they look like **** when turned on). Depending on how much running around I"m doing and what's going on, frame rates are typically between 30fps and 80fps.

So, for DDO -- you should be fine with your current card.

As for other games, if you're wanting to check out TSW or some non-MMO games - you may want something with more horsepower. Although even TSW I was able to run with fairly high settings and get around 30fps.
    Last edited by Sojourner; 03-18-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    Thelanis, CureLite Bottling Co:
    Nen (Barb/Ranger, Founder) / Emeril (Cleric, Founder) / Kraxkit (Dex Ranger) /
    Klyde (DPS Barbarian) / Sojourne (Rogue, Trapsmith) / and many others

Any day now my new monitor will be delivered. I'm switching from a 20" 1600x1200 to 27" for gaming in glorious 2560x1440 resolution.

Currently I have a HD5850 (1 Gig VRAM), which was one of those wonder cards when released 3.5 years ago. Running 1600x1200 is no problem and temperatures are fairly stable at 29-36°C. But I'm afraid it cannot handle DDO in high resolution.

I did a search on the forums but most people that state using a resolution > 1920x1080 do not include details on their videocard.

Are there any people that run DDO in 2560x1440 or even 1920x1200? What card are you using?

I'm thinking about switching from my HD5850 to one of the following models:
    GTX680
    HD7970 Ghz Edition
    XFX HD7970 Black Edition
    HD7970
    GTX670
    XFX HD7950 Black Edition
    GTX660-ti
    HD7950

Thanks in advance.

(Yes, I realise that this is not the most ideal subforum, but there simply is no Video discussion corner.)
    Depending upon which machine I am on, I use either an nVidia Tesla C1060 w/ 4GB RAM (yah, apologists, tell me I need a better video card for DDO again, please - it amuses me) OR (on my smaller machine) a GeForce TX 560 TI 1GB RAM.

At 1920x1024, the little one gets ~60-100 FPS in DDO, it can fall into the 30's with a ton of nukes going off (or Eveningstar/Harbor snow). The other one never goes below 100FPS, averaging ~120 FPS and going upwards of 200 on occasion.

The 660 you're talking about (big brother to mine) should be more than enough card.

A word of warning to the OP: expanding resolution will also increase the burden on your main CPU.

Without going into a whole lota of detail, you can get better resolution with a better video card, but in the end you're still moving a significant number of bits and bytes from one bucket to another. So, be prepared for that.

Otherwise, enjoy the graphical goodness.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

I play at this resolution (with a second screen 1080P on the side showing ddowiki connected to the same videocard). Even with everything maxed out the card handles it very well (yes it's get 70°C, but the gtx285 is made to run hot).
    I don't think you will have any problem with your video card. DDO is not very demanding on your video card.
    Pirotesse (battle-trap), Clausius (old style paly), Cadhu (swat fighter), Abysinthe (cleric), Sephiria (sorc), Dragunova (archer), Mauhin (wiz), Muhrahin(wf juggernauth), Azred(tempest), Birebash(sniper cleric), Bashibouzouk (barb), Salud(battle bard), Sniperovitch (repeater), Iraelle(battle cleric)

Quote Originally Posted by Barhai View Post
    I play at this resolution (with a second screen 1080P on the side showing ddowiki connected to the same videocard). Even with everything maxed out the card handles it very well (yes it's get 70°C, but the gtx285 is made to run hot).
    I don't think you will have any problem with your video card. DDO is not very demanding on your video card.
    Agreed. DDO isn't all that GPU intensive. Your current card will be fine.

I've been running DDO at 1920x1200 for years without problems on a single mildly overclocked Radeon HD 4870 with 512 MB of onboard memory.

I recommend you try it with your current card before committing to an upgrade.
    Ascent, Argonnessen ~ Cleatus Yogurthawker | Isostatic Rebound | Mohorovicic Discontinuity | Angular Unconformity
    Ghalanda ~
    Feldspathic Greywacke