Thread: Claw of Vulkoor

Default Claw of Vulkoor

I've mastered heroic Claw with my rogue... except for that last plate and guardian. The guardian just sits on the plate and won't move for anything. In the past, I've used a noisemaker, but those don't seem to be working any more.

Any ideas?

Never tried, but can't you try to make noise by shooting an arrow in a wall ?

Quote Originally Posted by Enguebert View Post
    Never tried, but can't you try to make noise by shooting an arrow in a wall ?
    Unfortunately, this spot is between two doors and not a large area. Shooting an arrow would break stealth and almost certainly alert the guardian which then requires you kill it and you lose the xp bonus for not killing any guardians.

I would try it and see, but naturally this is at the very end of the quest so it doesn't lend itself to easy experimentation.

Ummm i thought i read somewhere there is a bug with noise and alerting monsters the problem here might be a bug that's causing him not to hear the noise maker.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    Unfortunately, this spot is between two doors and not a large area. Shooting an arrow would break stealth and almost certainly alert the guardian which then requires you kill it and you lose the xp bonus for not killing any guardians.

I would try it and see, but naturally this is at the very end of the quest so it doesn't lend itself to easy experimentation.
    I've done this on Epic Hard so far. A throwing weapon will do. On my Dark Ninja, I use a throwing star.

To do this:

1) Locate the spot where you can see the area you can throw at an area just right of the guardian but where you stay OUT OF LINE OF SIGHT of the guardian, around that corner bend to you, far off. There's a sweet spot of wall about three guardian body lengths to his right that leaves you out of that sight line.
    2) Aim for that spot and throw, then carefully move forward in stealth to see if the guardian moves. Odds are, he doesn't see you, so he leaves to check out that noise.
    3) Haul your keister to that switch in stealth to touch that switch and retreat to complete.

It's the next-to-last guardian that's more problematic for me as he stands right next to the switch, facing it, so running over that switch VERY quickly before his Spot picked me up worked once, since there are other scorpions about and using any other tactic so far just screws up all the detection bonuses.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

None of this is going to work correctly right now with mob detection and invis borked.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    None of this is going to work correctly right now with mob detection and invis borked.
    I have noticed this is much less of a problem on a full sneak rogue than it is on a "invis and run" toon. So I suspect it's mainly sound that's triggering the mobs. So it's not reallt invis that's borked, it's sound that is giving away invised locations.

Then again, I can blow stuff up or kill stuff very noisily right next to another mob and they won't even notice, so it's probably not just a issue with sound sensitivity.

But in full sneak mode, you're a lot less likely to be located than when only invis.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    I have noticed this is much less of a problem on a full sneak rogue than it is on a "invis and run" toon. So I suspect it's mainly sound that's triggering the mobs. So it's not reallt invis that's borked, it's sound that is giving away invised locations.

Then again, I can blow stuff up or kill stuff very noisily right next to another mob and they won't even notice, so it's probably not just a issue with sound sensitivity.

But in full sneak mode, you're a lot less likely to be located than when only invis.
    There may be a bug where mobs have a higher Spot or Listen than they should...but then invisibility NEVER took care of sound. You can be as invisible as you want, but that's only the equivalent of Hide +20. Stealth or no, you WILL be seen by anything if you stand close enough and long enough in their visual forward arc. Maybe the enemies see you faster and react faster at present. Or, if a bug, they react for different reasons that don't make sense.

Invisibility has never made a player move silently. When invisible but not in stealth, your Move Silently skill is 0. One step too close to an enemy and you are detected if they heard the step through a Listen check. Stealth works because you are defeating their Spot (depending on your Hide check to their Spot) and defeating their Listen (based on Move Silently) simultaneously. I didn't think of it on my Ninja Spy (who can also invis at will) to see if invisibility's Hide stacks to the normal Hide modifier.
    Editor, The Book of Syncletica: An unofficial DDO Monk Guide, and Stormreach Shadows: An unofficial DDO Stealth Guide
    The Order of Syncletica: A DDO-flavored blog on Monks and gameplay and more
    (formerly known as Spencerian)

Community Member

Before invisibility was borked, I used to lure the guardian way by sneaking close, invising, unsneak and run around. He'll hear you and come investigate. Run all the way back to the skeleton chamber and restealth. He'll lose you, but will start looking around. Sneak back up the tunnel and hit the plate before he catches up. Doesn't help you now, of course. The shrukin trick is probably the best way to do it right now.

Spencerian: With the second to last scorp he and his minions are standing pretty close to the pad. If you stand on it properly, your hit boxes will interact. I've found the best way is to inch forward till you activate the plate. Invis helps here as well. BTW, loved your latest update on monks and stealth.

I've always had more trouble with the scorps after the lava bit. Anyone got tips on those?

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Ahab View Post
    Before invisibility was borked, I used to lure the guardian way by sneaking close, invising, unsneak and run around. He'll hear you and come investigate. Run all the way back to the skeleton chamber and restealth. He'll lose you, but will start looking around. Sneak back up the tunnel and hit the plate before he catches up. Doesn't help you now, of course. The shrukin trick is probably the best way to do it right now.

Spencerian: With the second to last scorp he and his minions are standing pretty close to the pad. If you stand on it properly, your hit boxes will interact. I've found the best way is to inch forward till you activate the plate. Invis helps here as well. BTW, loved your latest update on monks and stealth.

I've always had more trouble with the scorps after the lava bit. Anyone got tips on those?
    I used to run this (old epics) on my wizard, but haven't stealthed it since it comes in difficulty flavors.

What I did was target the lever, invis, then run around the left and jump on the first lever. Pull it, invis again and jump through the door, bouncing once, and jump up onto the lever inside the room. If you hit it right, they can't get inside.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    none of both are borked

now invis gives the right bonus (before you had immune to enemies' spot check, now you aren't) and now invis doesn't give the move silently bonus that was giving before, yes move silently because a player running 10-15 fts from a monster could pass w/o pulling it, when THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE

were all zergers getting profit from a bug/exploit? yes

are invis and mob detection borked? nope

stealth is something that needs training, zerging is something that only needed 1 invis clicky and run

hopefully they FIXED invis, and now if you want stealth you need time, if wanna zerg, simply will have to kill mobs or de DA will give you some love

before they fixed invis the more you zerged the more you stealthed, that was a joke, and insulting to the stealth

now only capable players will zerg or stealth, as it should have been always

dunno why turbine bothered doing something that "increases" ingame diff, when rest of implements are for making the game a laugh(already 5 manned EE Fall of Truth, is this a joke? nope is new ddo, the ultimate p2w experience)
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    none of both are borked
    Disagree, based on the Turbine response and cowfirmation.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...33#post4910233

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...90&postcount=7

Invisibility currently does nothing. Enemies will still spot you at same ranges they otherwise would. Using stealth feat still work as normal. Also, enemies now cannot hear anything, enemy listen seems completely broken.

Also, you can insta-kill things right in front of their eyes and they will not react, as long as they don't see you. If you're willing to wait long enough, you can assassinate everything in a quest, one by one.

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    none of both are borked

now invis gives the right bonus (before you had immune to enemies' spot check, now you aren't) and now invis doesn't give the move silently bonus that was giving before, yes move silently because a player running 10-15 fts from a monster could pass w/o pulling it, when THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE

were all zergers getting profit from a bug/exploit? yes

are invis and mob detection borked? nope

stealth is something that needs training, zerging is something that only needed 1 invis clicky and run

hopefully they FIXED invis, and now if you want stealth you need time, if wanna zerg, simply will have to kill mobs or de DA will give you some love

before they fixed invis the more you zerged the more you stealthed, that was a joke, and insulting to the stealth

now only capable players will zerg or stealth, as it should have been always

dunno why turbine bothered doing something that "increases" ingame diff, when rest of implements are for making the game a laugh(already 5 manned EE Fall of Truth, is this a joke? nope is new ddo, the ultimate p2w experience)
    You're wrong on this generally. Incendiary rubbish like "were all zergers getting profit from a bug/exploit? Yes" is particularly unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Dice View Post
    Don't worry about debating the merits of stealth in DDO guys, an invisibility change was not intended!
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=4910233 is the thread.

EDIT: Ninja'd... by like an hour hahaha. I shouldn't just leave threads open in separate tabs.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

i don't think invis isn't doing anything
    i think it's doing the opposite of what it's suppose to do O_o
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"