Pyrene, the End Game Paladin: 15 Paladin / 3 Monk / 2 Ranger
1. After testing, I changed the build to 15 Paladin / 3 Ranger / 2 monk and the build stays mainly in Defender of Siberis with Legendary Dreadnought.
2. I made a second change which only applies to players having the completionist feat available, and I am playing a 14 paladin / 4 ranger / 2 monk which has +4 damage & saves over the 15/3/2 split.
3. First video of the build at level 20: here
4. I reach level 25, here are some screenshots
5. Videos coming soon!
Video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9WQRWarPJI (Presentation of the build at Level 20)
Video 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNmBQzAU1Xo (EEDA Solo in 30 min with no pots/consumables - Fastest completion!)
As someone who plays one character, I find myself getting bored of a build once I have acquired all the gear pieces relevant to the build and know how to play the build to perfection.
Consequently, I often find myself dreaming about what my next life could be. I like to try new things.
My last couple of lives have followed the theme of having the "ranged" option, either with a completely ranged character, such as the Sithali build, or simply by having Manyshot.
To understand the build and the concept behind it, it is important to know that as DDO evolves, saves, defenses, self-healing & burst DPS gained a lot in importance.
These are some of the reasons that have contributed to popularize builds such as AAs, Shiradi Casters and the Juggernaut.
My first capped toon was a WF Paladin inspired by Ultimega (the name may be familiar to some Khyber folks). I enjoyed this toon a lot, and with the nerf of Zeal, I didn't really have a reason to revisit the Paladin Class. Until now.
Contrary to popular belief, paladins have gained a lot in power (Being able to Dual-Boost with Haste boost twisted, 2 extra feats on a feat-starved class, Great Synergy with the Fury of the Wild Destiny). Their DPS is lower than some other classes but with their saves, self healing and utility (Ability to Off-tank, very high UMD...), they are nearly impossible to kill.
PROS vs CONS (in no particular order)
- + High Saves
- + Great instantaneous self healing, and out of combat healing
- + High DPS Paladin
- + High Burst DPS w/ Manyshot & Dual Boosts
- + High healing amplification
- + Decent PRR
- + Benefits a lot from Completionist and great gear as they have several main stats
- + Evasion
- + Sprint Boost
- + Very self sufficient: makes a great soloer
- + Synergy with the Fury of the Wild Destiny
- + Complex to play (less boring), clickie-intensive (active & thoughtfull gameplay), not an easy button like Shiradi Casters
- + Versatility: 2 different destinies to play with depending on the situation, 2 combat styles (either TWF or THF)
- + Situationally Monk Light buffs
- - Good luck finding one
The name of the build comes from the French Mountains called "The Pyrénées". I will be playing the build in a couple of weeks.
PYRENE, LAWFUL GOOD HUMAN: 15 PALADIN / 3 MONK / 2 RANGER
STATS* (36) All sustainable, assuming LD
Str - 16+6(lvl)+4(tome)+2(compl)+2(yugo)+2(ship)+8(item) +2(insight)+4(alchem)+5(primal)+2(madstone)+1(exc) = 54
Dex - 14+4(tome)+2(compl)+2(ship)+2(yugo)+8(item)+2(insi ght)+4(alchem)+1(exc)+1(enh)=40
Con - 16+4(tome)+2(compl)+2(ship)+2(yugo)+(8item)+2(insi ght)+4(alchem)+5(primal)+1(exc)+4(madstone)= [b]50/b]
Int - 8+4(tome)+2(Compl)+2(ship)+1(exc)=17
Wis - 8+4(tome)+2(compl)+2(yugo)+2(ship)+7(item)+2(Insig ht)+1(exc)= 28
Cha - 16+4(tome)+2(compl)+2(ship)+2(yugo)+8(item)+3(insi ght)+2(enh.)+1(exc) = 40
*: Adjust stats according to tomes available to you. Keep in mind 18 base charisma is needed for Divine Might III, 23 base Str for Overwhelming critical and 17 base Dex for Manyshot.
LEVELING ORDER & FEATS
1. M: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Power Attack
2. M: Toughness (Evasion)
3. R: Cleave, FE: Giants (Bow Strength)
4. R: (Rapid Shot)
6. P: Great Cleave, (Divine Grace)
9. P: Quicken
12. P: Manyshot
15. P: Improved Critical: Slashing
18. P: Improved Critical: Ranged
20. M: Light Path
21-25. Overwhelming Critical, Completionist/Empower Healing
# Legendary Dreadnought is used most of the time
Twists w/ Legendary
3. Sense Weakness (Tier 4 LD)
2. Brace for Impact (Tier 1 Unyielding Sentinel)
1. Primal Scream / Rejuvenation Cocoon (Tier 1 Fury / Primal Avatar)
# Fury of the Wild is used for raids or when there is already someone blitzing in the group
Twists w/ Fury of the Wild
3. Haste Boost (Tier 3 LD)
2. Brace for Impact (Tier 1 Unyielding Sentinel)
1. Rejuvenation Cocoon (Tier 1 Primal Avatar)
- HUMAN Charisma I (2), Improved Recovery II (6), Human Versatility IV (10), Racial Toughness II (3),
- RANGER Ranger Sprint boost I (1), Favored Damage I (1), Dexterity I (2)
- MONK Patient Tortoise I (1), Improved Recovery I (2)
- PALADIN Resistance of Good II (3), Divine Righteousness I (1), Divine Sacrifice II (3), Exalted Smite III (6), Extra Lay on Hands II (3), Extra Smite Evil IV (10), Hunter of the Dead II (3), Devotion II (3), Charisma I (2), Toughness II (3), Divine Might III (6), Improved Turning II (3), Extra Turning II (3)
- Level 1: (3) Protection from Evil, Divine Favor, Virtue
- Level 2: (2) Resist Energy, Cure Light Wounds
- Level 3: (2) Cure Moderate Wounds, Prayer
- Level 4: (2) Cure Serious Wounds, Zeal
Max UMD (***)
Put 1 point in Tumble at start
F-15+4(GH)+7(res)+1(alch)+1(ship)+2(luck)+20(stat)+4 (insight)+15(cha)+2(brace)= 71
R-11+4(GH)+7(res)+1(alch)+1(ship)+2(luck)+15(stat)+1 (haste)+4(insight)+15(cha)+2(brace)= 63 + Evasion
W-8+4(GH)+7(res)+1(alch)+1(ship)+2(luck)+9(stat)+4(i nsight)+15(cha)+2(brace)= 53
*Considering the save check is in the low 60's for EEGH (61-63 from my experience), you will never fail a save with 71/63/53. Reflex save being the most important as most will-save based spells you can protect yourself from.
+50 Epic levels
+20 toughness item
+27 toughness feat
+40 toughness enh.
+20 barb pl
+50 LD levels
=932 HP sustainable (982 HP in Fury).
Enough when you never fail a save and you have evasion.
+ 14 slotted
+ 15 planar
= 39 in LD (45 w/ Fury)
There have been some super-high healing amplification paladin builds in the past, but honestly, besides seeing good numbers and being self sufficient, they didn't bring much to the table.
The Pyrene has some great healing amp. but doesn't push it to the point you sacrifice gear slots and DPS to see cool numbers pop up.
1.05 Pally PL
1.1 HotD 1
1.1 HotD 2
= 240% Healing Amp.
Helm: EE Black Dragon Helm w/ 8 con (Yellow, Green)
Goggles: EE Intricate Field Optics w/ 3 insight. cha (Yellow, Green)
Necklace: Pendant of the Stormreaver (Yellow)
Armor: Black Dragon Robe (Blue)
Trinket: Planar focus of Prowess w/ 8 str
Cloak: EE Jeweled Cloak (Yellow, Green)
Belt: +45 HP Belt
Ring1: Ring of Deceit (Yellow, Colorless)
Ring2: Ring of the Stalker (Yellow, colorless)
Boots: Halcyon Boots (Yellow, colorless)
Gloves: Gauntlets of Immortality (Yellow, Colorless)
Bracers: Greater Convalescent bracers of superior parrying
Quiver: EE Quiver of Poison
- Tier 4 Cleaver Hewer of Suffering w/ Good/Elemental Damage
- Tier 4 Pinion, Cloud-Piercer w/Red slot: +1d10 Ice damage
- Various DR Breakers: ESOS, EAGA
Note: The gear setup can be really changed according to what you have available. Ex: EE Treads of Falling Shadows, EE Nether Grasps (and putting 114 devotion on the Cleaver), Adamantine Cloak of the wolf
SOME POSSIBLE QUESTIONS
#1. Why Empower Healing vs another feat such as Maximize or Stunning blow? While there are a lot of clickies allowing the use of the Maximize feat at no extra spell cost, Rejuvenation Cocoon only works with Empower Healing. Stunning blow is irrelevant for current endgame as it is difficult to make it work on non monks/fighters/barbarians, especially due to stat repartition for paladins.
#2. Why no intimidate? It is not very important to have because a simple manyshot will instantly give you the aggro. Your solid melee DPS combined with Divine Righteousness will be enough to keep aggro. Only EELOB requires a specialized tank at this point of the game, and with this build you can be the tank in any raid.
#3. Why no investment in AC? 1. You cannot have evasion if you wear heavy armor. 2. Using Robes saves a significant amount of time when switching situationnally or for clickies. 3. It simply doesn't work well in EE.
#4. Why Cleaver over Esos? LD offers an additional crit multiplier to the cleaver. 15 PRR is also incredibly important. You may not see it now; So either trust me or go in EEDA solo and we will understand each other
#5. Why THF over TWF? TWF also works pretty well on this build (since with THF>TWF nowadays, paladins is the most viable class for TWF) - Replace Quicken+Maximize for ITWF+GTWF. Drop IC:Ranged for Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh. If going for the Deathnips route, drop Ic:Slashing for Ic:Piercing.
It took me a while to put it together so I hope you guys enjoy it.
Waiting to hear your thoughts on the Pyrene,